Author Topic: Offseason starts  (Read 118732 times)

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
Re: Offseason starts
« Reply #280 on: Monday July 30, 2018, 12:37:12 AM Eastern »
GMGM is a better GM?? LOL!!!! I'm sorry DC, but you jumped the shark with that one. McPhee hasn't won squat and BM had to take some of GM's pieces and FINALLY get them over the top with right augmentations. GM is NOT a better general manager.
Absolutely, and I said that all last year and year before.

Without the helicoptering of Ted, Dickless, and the Monumental Board, he took a team of throw aways  to record setting season a Cup final to play a team composed of 13 of his draft picks.

But to this conversation, no way GMGM would overpay all these contracts like GMBetaMale did, (unless ordered to by Monumental Entertianment) as GMGM is by far a better negotiator and does not bend over to agents.

But hey, most fans are still on the Cup high, but in a couple years when the players he signed are loafing  around in the regular season, and post season if there is one, abecause they’re making bank for years to come, the cap is in such a place we cant resign Hotly even if we over pay him, which is provided he will stay after our D only gets worse and worse, . . just the zealots will say “we won a Cuo,  once, thats ALL that matters”,   and others will say things like “Last Post I’m Done” because it will be a disaster
« Last Edit: Monday July 30, 2018, 07:08:19 AM Eastern by DC_1908 »

Offline 4 Caps

« Reply #281 on: Monday July 30, 2018, 10:46:28 AM Eastern »
DC you can bad mouth BMac all you want but the bottom line is that he is a winner.  He won a Stanley Cup as a player and now as a GM.  He knows what it takes to be a winner and I am happy he is the Caps GM, he is not afraid to make tough decisions. 

Offline Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #282 on: Monday July 30, 2018, 12:30:18 PM Eastern »
DC gonna be pissed off about winning that Cup, one way or another!!!  :rofl: :rofl: Fight the good fight brother!!  :raspberry:

Offline Rey Capalpatine

• X-Wing Pilot
  • Use the Force !
« Reply #283 on: Monday July 30, 2018, 02:03:44 PM Eastern »
Caps sign Wilson, six years 31 million.  That is about what people were speculating the contract would be between 4.5 and 5.5 million per year.  I think it is a good deal for both sides, Wilson gets long term security and Caps get a reasonabl cap hit although some people may think it is a little high. 
That pretty much takes care of business that needed to be done in the off season.  Can’t wait for start of training camp. 
Reading more, the contract is for 31.02 million with an average of 5.17 per year.

I'm amped they re-signed Wilson! I cannot wait for the season to start.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #284 on: Monday July 30, 2018, 03:15:35 PM Eastern »
DC you can bad mouth BMac all you want but the bottom line is that he is a winner.  He won a Stanley Cup as a player and now as a GM.  He knows what it takes to be a winner and I am happy he is the Caps GM, he is not afraid to make tough decisions.
You praise and hero-worship all you want, using the layman Aristotelian logic of "he won and Cup therefore he's a winner and he's great", but know that is short sighted and devoid of analysis, proper data collection, and basic blind faith.

I will be continue to be objective and pragmatic looking (in the case of GMBetaMAles role), at how we won, who performed over or under expectations, the quality and cap situation of the roster and cap situation (among other things).

One of the simple conclusions is for a team to win in what was called a "rebuild/throw away year", (remember no one had high expectations), with a cap pushing the brink due to over paying Russia and the other players, trades decimating the draft and moving good players to cut cap space and only getting 3rd rounders for them,. . .is not only did the GM had little to do with the win, but the win was IN SPITE of the GM and the front office.

Its not hating, its being objective and unbiased.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #285 on: Monday July 30, 2018, 03:25:02 PM Eastern »
DC gonna be pissed off about winning that Cup, one way or another!!!  :rofl: :rofl: Fight the good fight brother!!  :raspberry:
Hey not pissed off about winning the Cup, Im just irked that all of the sudden people think the all the craptostic performances and valid criticisms this year and in the past years, are now forgiven, forgotten. ignored, disowned, and even criticized because of the last 7 games!

Bottom line is  we won a Cup.  One.  One in a 10 years of each year expecting to win or make the playoffs to "have a chance".   Thats 10% success, with is only better that 0, certainly not great, nor good enough.

On top which, it is illogical if not fast out delusional to think this group and front office will not only keep the level of the last games, but not let rest accomplishment and do the same for the next 10 years, saying "well we have A cup, and have a chance at another". . .

Offline Mickstix

• Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #286 on: Monday July 30, 2018, 07:04:11 PM Eastern »
Hey not pissed off about winning the Cup, Im just irked that all of the sudden people think the all the craptostic performances and valid criticisms this year and in the past years, are now forgiven, forgotten. ignored, disowned, and even criticized because of the last 7 games!

The only fly in that ointment is, the craptastic performers who we love to bitch about, finally did what they were supposed to and won the Cup.. Everyone knew Holtby would need to be in Vezina form, he was.. Everyone knew we would need Kuznetsov to have an exceptional playoffs, he did.. Everyone knew Ovie would need to be at the top of his game, he was.. Everyone knew we'd need secondary scoring, we got it.. There were no "surprises", other then the team did what we've expected them to do the last 2-3 years.. They found the playoff gear we all swore they didn't have!!

Predicting future doom and gloom is fine. But you simply can't deny GMBM has put together a Cup winning team on his 4th try.. Was it dumb luck? Will it cost us in the future? Can we repeat? All good questions!! But you are right about one thing.. Currently, I just don't give a shit!! We got 1 and they can't take it back!!  :P

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #287 on: Monday July 30, 2018, 07:23:03 PM Eastern »

The only fly in that ointment is, the craptastic performers who we love to bitch about, finally did what they were supposed to and won the Cup.. Everyone knew Holtby would need to be in Vezina form, he was.. Everyone knew we would need Kuznetsov to have an exceptional playoffs, he did.. Everyone knew Ovie would need to be at the top of his game, he was.. Everyone knew we'd need secondary scoring, we got it.. There were no "surprises", other then the team did what we've expected them to do the last 2-3 years.. They found the playoff gear we all swore they didn't have!!

Predicting future doom and gloom is fine. But you simply can't deny GMBM has put together a Cup winning team on his 4th try.. Was it dumb luck? Will it cost us in the future? Can we repeat? All good questions!! But you are right about one thing.. Currently, I just don't give a shit!! We got 1 and they can't take it back!!  :P
they didn’t find a gear, they found a four stage nitros system.

The long list of uncharacteristic performances, “finally”s, surprises, particularly late in the playoffs, can and don not equate to credit for a GM in a year that was a rebuild year..  Morever it’s a long shot bet, for this scenario to result in long term, sustainable performance.

Yeah no one can our one, single Cup, away.  I’m cautioning about our second, Cuo.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #288 on: Monday July 30, 2018, 07:29:00 PM Eastern »
they didn’t find a gear, they found a four stage nitros system.

The long list of uncharacteristic performances, “finally”s, surprises, particularly late in the playoffs, can and don not equate to credit for a GM in a year that was a rebuild year. Moreover it’s a long shot bet, for this scenario to result in long term, sustainable performance.

That was GMBetaMale, that was just coach’s and leaders pushing a team play over their ablitys.  Not the mastermind scouting and putting the best combination of the right players for the price, and routinely playing at high levels, with the ability to play higher without doing a 180.

Yeah no one can our one, single Cup, away.  I’m cautioning about our second, Cuo.

Maacoshark

« Reply #289 on: Monday July 30, 2018, 10:14:48 PM Eastern »

Bottom line is  we won a Cup.  One.  One in a 10 years of each year expecting to win or make the playoffs to "have a chance".   Thats 10% success, with is only better that 0, certainly not great, nor good enough.

On top which, it is illogical if not fast out delusional to think this group and front office will not only keep the level of the last games, but not let rest accomplishment and do the same for the next 10 years, saying "well we have A cup, and have a chance at another". . .
    Sorry DC but I think your dislike for GMBM is getting a but ridiculous. The goal of any team is to be competitive with the ultimate goal winning the Cup. 2 presidents cups and a Stanley Cup the last 3 seasons. What else does he have to do so you will give him some credit.
    Most of his decisions have worked out so far whether you like it or not. He may not be building a team that you prefer but he has built a winning franchise. Give him some credit.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #290 on: Tuesday July 31, 2018, 06:03:10 AM Eastern »
    Sorry DC but I think your dislike for GMBM is getting a but ridiculous. The goal of any team is to be competitive with the ultimate goal winning the Cup. 2 presidents cups and a Stanley Cup the last 3 seasons. What else does he have to do so you will give him some credit.
    Most of his decisions have worked out so far whether you like it or not. He may not be building a team that you prefer but he has built a winning franchise. Give him some credit.

The goal of great organizations and champions is domination and dynasties, not just one year, and not good being enough, not having a chance and hoping for the stars to align and catch lightning in a bottle.

Give him credit for what? Being in the box while a team made up primarily by, including the core, was won by the GM in the next box over?  For doing the old video game trick of long salaries so it’s less per year with the hopes that they’ll be retirements or the league will all but drop the salary cap?

All signs for a  future of a cap hell with underperomabing players with unreadable contacts are there, and only one Cup doesn’t make up for, or excuse that.

Offline KitFisto

« Reply #291 on: Tuesday July 31, 2018, 06:09:15 AM Eastern »

What you fail to point out is most of that was under McPhail. He goes bye bye and within a few years we raise the cup.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #292 on: Tuesday July 31, 2018, 06:17:42 AM Eastern »

What you fail to point out is most of that was under McPhail. He goes bye bye and within a few years we raise the cup.
No I didn’t fail.  I’ve made that case plenty of times

Which is why you’re resorting to atttemt to use flawed and laymen Aristotelian logic in an equally flawed and laymen attempt to trip me up.

Offline KitFisto

« Reply #293 on: Tuesday July 31, 2018, 08:43:56 AM Eastern »
No I didn’t fail.  I’ve made that case plenty of times

Which is why you’re resorting to atttemt to use flawed and laymen Aristotelian logic in an equally flawed and laymen attempt to trip me up.

And your case is WRONG. The simple fact is that you LOATHE this team's management because they don't do things YOUR way and no amount of winning will ever change that. Your precious McPhail didn't win squat even with 16 years of opportunity. His drafting was absolutely terrible for his first decade here. You give him a pass and blame all on Ted and Patrick. Ted and Patrick deserve some blame too, but so does McJoke. If you've shown anything after winning a cup, it's that it's YOU who doesn't care about winning. All you care about is having it do e the way YOU want it done even if that means never winning..... I can see why you love McPhee so much.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #294 on: Tuesday July 31, 2018, 12:22:34 PM Eastern »

And your case is WRONG. The simple fact is that you LOATHE this team's management because they don't do things YOUR way and no amount of winning will ever change that. Your precious McPhail didn't win squat even with 16 years of opportunity. His drafting was absolutely terrible for his first decade here. You give him a pass and blame all on Ted and Patrick. Ted and Patrick deserve some blame too, but so does McJoke. If you've shown anything after winning a cup, it's that it's YOU who doesn't care about winning. All you care about is having it do e the way YOU want it done even if that means never winning..... I can see why you love McPhee so much.
No. You’re  emotions are so out of control you’ve lost objectivity, so you do not see the the bigger picture of transpired is transpiring, and the likely trajectory where are on.

But hey,if don’t agree with me  that the goal needs to be dynasty and domination, and as long as you can die happy going into the cremator or the ground wearing a 2018 Championship shirt it does matter that you don’t have one with over with four or five Champiobships, . . . than that’s pretty beta and lazy

Worse yet, if you look at the current team and see a dynasty with no cap issues not just the same ol thing Ted and/or Dickess have done since 1982.  The majority of signs point to just the same ol’, but they can now say Ted has .05% of winning the Cup in seasons as the Caps owner, and Patrick has an amazing .03% Cup perstage  be has been with the organization

Those two have way more input and control of rosters than the GM does.

So you mean to tell me 7 games erases all of that and we should just be happy to join Calgary,  the Hurricanes,  and the Ducks  and the other one and done Cup winners as long as we just get one?

Maacoshark

« Reply #295 on: Tuesday July 31, 2018, 02:40:14 PM Eastern »
The goal of great organizations and champions is domination and dynasties, not just one year, and not good being enough, not having a chance and hoping for the stars to align and catch lightning in a bottle.

Give him credit for what? Being in the box while a team made up primarily by, including the core, was won by the GM in the next box over?  For doing the old video game trick of long salaries so it’s less per year with the hopes that they’ll be retirements or the league will all but drop the salary cap?

All signs for a  future of a cap hell with underperomabing players with unreadable contacts are there, and only one Cup doesn’t make up for, or excuse that.
      Well you need to win the first Cup before you can win others. Winning multiple cups is very difficult in today's NHL so I would be surprised if we don't win another one right away.
    It there even any such thing thing as a dynasty anymore. With the salary cap and parody of the league it is tough to build a dynasty.

Offline Mickstix

• Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #296 on: Tuesday July 31, 2018, 04:29:30 PM Eastern »
Yea, that dynasty requirement/dream starts to fade a bit when you turn 50 and the team you first rooted for at age 7 still hasn't won a SCF "game", much less a Cup..  :wackysmile:   Be happy with the Cup!! There'll be plenty of time to bitch when the season starts!! At the moment, we ARE the champions!!  :P

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #297 on: Tuesday July 31, 2018, 06:41:38 PM Eastern »
      Well you need to win the first Cup before you can win others. Winning multiple cups is very difficult in today's NHL so I would be surprised if we don't win another one right away.
    It there even any such thing thing as a dynasty anymore. With the salary cap and parody of the league it is tough to build a dynasty.
i know it’s difficult but, so what?  Three teams have won multiple cups in the last what 10 years?  Each are still legitimate threats every year there in the playoffs. 

On this issue, I’m saying the philosophy of organizations that are comsistant Cup winners and persistent threats and obstickes in the playoffs is one of is that their primary if not only goal, and if a retooling is needing, getting back there immeaditly. . . for these teams “have a chance”, or “we did it once so that’s all we need and we’re good as is”, is simply intolerable.

Offline KitFisto

« Reply #298 on: Tuesday July 31, 2018, 06:44:40 PM Eastern »
I hope the Caps repeat JUST to upset DC lol.

Maacoshark

« Reply #299 on: Tuesday July 31, 2018, 07:00:44 PM Eastern »
i know it’s difficult but, so what?  Three teams have won multiple cups in the last what 10 years?  Each are still legitimate threats every year there in the playoffs. 

On this issue, I’m saying the philosophy of organizations that are comsistant Cup winners and persistent threats and obstickes in the playoffs is one of is that their primary if not only goal, and if a retooling is needing, getting back there immeaditly. . . for these teams “have a chance”, or “we did it once so that’s all we need and we’re good as is”, is simply intolerable.
   No offense but the Caps have been a threat for a few years now. 2 president cups and a cup in 3 seasons is very impressive. If the Caps could had gotten by the Pens in those 2 seasons there is a good possibility we could have had have had 3 consecutive cups.
     I myself prefer a different style team but they are having success with what they are doing. And in the long run that's what I care about. There is still a handful of players I'd rather not be on this team.
    You keep thinking that a team full of guys like Beagle or your tough guys Olesiak and Reeves is going to win. You need role players like that but you barent going to win with a team full if them.