Author Topic: GDT #46 Capitals at Bruins @ 12:00  (Read 24136 times)

Chaos43

Re: GDT #46 Capitals at Bruins @ 12:00
« Reply #120 on: Sunday April 18, 2021, 09:46:55 PM Eastern »
The James Norris Memorial Trophy

annually awarded to the top "defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position"

Odd how someone here seemed to not know that Subban, Karlsson and Hedman had won it. Even Chara won it, long after the islanders dumped him.

Sorry, but as everyone has admitted, if 74 wasn't scoring goals he never would be considered for the award. Yet in the description of the award scoring would seem to not matter.

Is he good for this team? Yes. Is he a great defenseman? No. I'd be fine with him if was making $7M at the most. As it is, he's overpaid and it's hurting this team. It was hurting the team before the salary cap got frozen for at least three years, and I'd be amazed if it doesn't end up being four as its directly tied to league income.
      Unfortunately the Norris is more about offense than defence. There have been plenty of unworthy winners of the trophy. Even when Langway won it in back to back seasons was he the best all around defenseman. I don't believe he was. Even though he was a beast in the defensive zone.
     Over the years several great defencemen never won the award but probably should have. Guys that come to mind are Scott Stevens, Mark Howe and Brad Park. Maybe even Shea Weber should have won one.
     We had a stretch where Lidstrom pretty much won every year and he deserved it. He was the best 2 way dman in the NHL for a long time.
I think the NHL has a player like that in today's game. That guy would be Victor Hedman. He is the best 2 way defenseman by a pretty good margin. I know he has won a Norris but I think he should have atleast 3 including last season. I don't think Josi should have won it. And I think Hedman has to be one of the favorites again this year. He would be my vote.
     But as long they continue to give the trophy to offensive defencemen Carlson will remain a Norris candidate. He will likely be top 5 in votes.
I for one don't think he will win the Norris this year or any year. I feel last season was his best chance. If he couldn't win it after that season I don't think he ever will.
     He has a great shot, he is a very good passer, he can join the rush. He plays on the PP and pk. He is a very good player. But he is too inconsistent in the defensive zone and his decision making.
     He fits in well on this team. Alot has to do with the talent around him. That was alot of the criticism on Carlson. His numbers are inflated because of the players he plays with. And I would agree with that.
      Just curious who didn't know those guys won the Norris.

Offline Surreylily

• I can start fire with two hard drives
  • Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #121 on: Sunday April 18, 2021, 09:52:31 PM Eastern »
Why do you so desperately feel the need to question and challenge our hockey knowledge on here?  Constantly.
I am

Chaos43

« Reply #122 on: Sunday April 18, 2021, 10:18:52 PM Eastern »
Why do you so desperately feel the need to question and challenge our hockey knowledge on here?  Constantly.
    Wow. I was just voicing my opinion on the Norris trophy. It doesn't mean I'm right.
    Am I not allowed to have an opinion?
     The odd thing is that my opinion is actually siding with you and Alta.

Offline Surreylily

• Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #123 on: Sunday April 18, 2021, 10:22:19 PM Eastern »
Would you ever, even in your wildest dreams, think that I would know who Jaques Le Plant was?
Just curious.
I am

Chaos43

« Reply #124 on: Sunday April 18, 2021, 10:26:31 PM Eastern »
      My apologies for being a hockey fanatic. I guess it's in my blood. I love the game. I miss playing.

Offline Surreylily

• Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #125 on: Sunday April 18, 2021, 10:28:08 PM Eastern »
And it wasn't your "opinion" I was challenging.   :raspberry: Actually, I'm not sure you have a genuine opinion, I think you just like a scrap.
I am

Chaos43

« Reply #126 on: Sunday April 18, 2021, 10:28:57 PM Eastern »
Would you ever, even in your wildest dreams, think that I would know who Jaques Le Plant was?
Just curious.
   I'm not sure whether or not you knew who Jaques Plante is. I didn't think I ever mentioned his name to you.

Chaos43

« Reply #127 on: Sunday April 18, 2021, 10:29:30 PM Eastern »
And it wasn't your "opinion" I was challenging.   :raspberry: Actually, I'm not sure you have a genuine opinion, I think you just like a scrap.
    Nice. Thank you very much.

Offline Surreylily

• Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #128 on: Sunday April 18, 2021, 10:30:57 PM Eastern »
      My apologies for being a hockey fanatic. I guess it's in my blood. I love the game. I miss playing.

I miss playing a lot of things.  Doesn't mean i have to be a dick about it.
I am

Chaos43

« Reply #129 on: Sunday April 18, 2021, 10:31:41 PM Eastern »
I miss playing a lot of things.  Doesn't mean i have to be a dick about it.
   Once again thank you very much.

Offline Surreylily

• Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #130 on: Sunday April 18, 2021, 10:35:19 PM Eastern »
   I'm not sure whether or not you knew who Jaques Plante is. I didn't think I ever mentioned his name to you.
8-0
There you go luvvie!    :wackysmile:    Jaques Le Plante  Never existed untill you told me about him huh?
You fucking dickhead.
I am

Offline Surreylily

• Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #131 on: Sunday April 18, 2021, 10:36:29 PM Eastern »
Pfffff. 
I am

Chaos43

« Reply #132 on: Sunday April 18, 2021, 10:38:49 PM Eastern »
8-0
There you go luvvie!    :wackysmile:    Jaques Le Plante  Never existed untill you told me about him huh?
You fucking dickhead.
     I'd swear I was quoting DC when I mentioned his name. Weren't we talking about the old goalies that didn't wear a mask. I believe he was talking about Terry Sawchuck.
      My apologies if that conversation offended you. Sorry

Offline Surreylily

• Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #133 on: Sunday April 18, 2021, 10:40:08 PM Eastern »
Bugger.  I did it again.    :( :smirk: :snicker:     :angry: :B: :wow: :titsup: :laughing: :banana: :banana: :banana: :wow:
I am

Chaos43

« Reply #134 on: Sunday April 18, 2021, 10:40:27 PM Eastern »
8-0
You fucking dickhead.
     Am I supposed to take the name calling as a joke or take it serious? Hard to tell on a message board.

Offline Surreylily

• Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #135 on: Sunday April 18, 2021, 10:40:35 PM Eastern »
 :snicker: :snicker: :snicker:
I am

Offline Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #136 on: Sunday April 18, 2021, 10:41:53 PM Eastern »
Ya'll drinkin w/o me AGAIN??  :snicker:

Chaos43

« Reply #137 on: Sunday April 18, 2021, 10:42:36 PM Eastern »
:snicker: :snicker: :snicker:
   Lol maybe one day I will figure you out.

Chaos43

« Reply #138 on: Sunday April 18, 2021, 10:43:37 PM Eastern »
Ya'll drinkin w/o me AGAIN??  :snicker:
   Not me. I think I was on here babbling on Friday night but I've only had 2 beer today.

Offline Surreylily

• Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #139 on: Sunday April 18, 2021, 10:49:50 PM Eastern »
The name calling was a little bit of over exhubernce.  I kinda think I should apologise, but I'm not actually sorry.
I am