Author Topic: GDT#29 Capitals @ Blue Jackets 7p.m. Sat Dec 8, 2018 NBCSWA, FS-O  (Read 23785 times)

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
Re: GDT#29 Capitals @ Blue Jackets 7p.m. Sat Dec 8, 2018 NBCSWA, FS-O
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday December 11, 2018, 07:11:32 AM Eastern »
    Extra weight isnt a bad thing if the majority of that extra weight is muscle. Siegenrhaler dropped around 25 pounds but I guarantee he didnt lose 25 pounds of muscle. His weight actually is decent for an NHL dman. I'd still like to see him gain some strength though.
     To me its more about strength than weight. I'd still prefer if we had a guy is 2 like Shea Weber.
They almost certainly put him, and probably everyone else)on a “cut” program all but limited to endurance and flexibility, which will of course give him strength with out adding the mass of regular workouts.

Now I’m not a trainer, particularly of an NHL team.  However I do acknowledge that I can’t recall us having a Dman with dominant kinetic strength since Erk, and I can’t recall the last to come up through our system.

I can’t say what the cause is, but I doubt the Caps weightroom has the environment and culture of an NFL or other NHL teams.

« Last Edit: Tuesday December 11, 2018, 06:10:27 PM Eastern by DC_1908 »

Maacoshark

« Reply #101 on: Tuesday December 11, 2018, 08:04:39 AM Eastern »
They almost certainly put him, and probably everyone else)on a “cut” program all but limited to endurance and flexibility, which will of course give him strength with out adding the mass of regular workouts.

Now I’m not a trainer, particularly of an NHL team.  However I do acknowledge that I can’t recall us having a Dman with dominant kinetic strength since Erik, and I can’t recall the last to come up through our system.

I can’t say what the cause is, but I doubt the Caps weightroom has the environment and culture of an NFL or other NHL teams.
      Ya who is the last physical dman that we drafted and developed?

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday December 11, 2018, 09:56:59 AM Eastern »
      Ya who is the last physical dman that we drafted and developed?
Peat?? at least i think he played D

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday December 11, 2018, 05:14:03 PM Eastern »

Huh??  "Another undersized defenseman" is the LAST way I'd describe Siegenthaler.  He's listed at 6'3" and 206.  Until last year he was playing at about 230, but the organization told him in no uncertain terms that he had to lose weight to pick up quickness.  This is another way that the organization is evolving with the NHL on the fly -- when they drafted him, Siegenthaler was pictured to eventually be a physically large defensive defenseman -- he weighed about 220 when they drafted him. But the evolution of the game forced them to change him if he was going to have the best chance to be a regular defenseman in the NHL.  Same with Bowey.  When he was in juniors/the minors, he was originally pictured to play at 210 - 215 pounds, but now they've (and by "they've" I mean the organization) settled on 200 or slightly less as his playing weight.  And even Bowey said before last year that he felt quicker playing at the lower weight.

Good to know. I just think when you watch him, he looks smaller than most guys and gets pushed around. A lot of that may be due to his rookie status and not being comfortable yet - I hope that is the case.