Author Topic: When Backstrom Returns  (Read 12523 times)

Offline Chris19

When Backstrom Returns
« on: Monday May 14, 2018, 10:56:26 AM Eastern »
Curious to know your thoughts when Backy returns - where does he fit in.  I feel Eller has been fantastic at 2C and we need to leave that line alone (great chemistry).  Do you drop Backy to 3C and Stephenson to the 4th line - odd man out Chiasson?
What a great problem to have at this time of the year.  The depth at center has been missed over the years.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
Re: When Backstrom Returns
« Reply #1 on: Monday May 14, 2018, 11:08:11 AM Eastern »
Curious to know your thoughts when Backy returns - where does he fit in.  I feel Eller has been fantastic at 2C and we need to leave that line alone (great chemistry).  Do you drop Backy to 3C and Stephenson to the 4th line - odd man out Chiasson?
What a great problem to have at this time of the year.  The depth at center has been missed over the years.
Sit Bura or Connelly.  Despite one GWG, Chaisson, though quiet, has been great these playoffs.

Depending on Backstroms injury, and what % he is, is what will determine his ice time.
« Last Edit: Monday May 14, 2018, 11:55:37 AM Eastern by DC_1908 »

Offline 4 Caps

« Reply #2 on: Monday May 14, 2018, 11:25:37 AM Eastern »
When Backstrom returns I would like to see him on a line with Stephenson and Burakovsky.  I agree that Eller should stay on a line with Vrana and Oshie, that line has looked very good and no reason to break it up.  Big guestion is when is Backstrom returning.  No need to rush him, wait until he is 100%. From the sound of it though it does sound like he is close and I would not be surprised to see him in the lineup tomorrow night. 

Offline OnlyCaps2

« Reply #3 on: Monday May 14, 2018, 01:14:40 PM Eastern »
Since his hand is key to his craft, I do not see him coming returning for a week minimum.

Offline KitFisto

« Reply #4 on: Monday May 14, 2018, 01:17:33 PM Eastern »
If it ain't broke........if this series continues with the Caps mopping the floor with he Bolts ( and I'm obligated to say it won't ) then rest him as long as possible and address it in the finals ( which we can't possible make it to because the Bolts are too good )

Offline waynerivers

« Reply #5 on: Monday May 14, 2018, 01:20:30 PM Eastern »
I wouldn't dress Backstrom unless he's 100% and no way he replaces Eller at this point.  You don't fool with this kind of momentum which only comes around once in a long while.  At this point, I'm not even sure that Backstrom makes us a better team.  That's how much everyone is contributing.  Plus, Backstrom, good as he is, has never been known to be a high intensity type player which is the mantra throughout the lineup right now.  You tinker with something like this at your peril.

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #6 on: Monday May 14, 2018, 04:17:11 PM Eastern »

While I have always liked Backstrom and consider him to have a big place in the Caps history, he has always been a selfless facilitator.  He is not an aggressive leader and I have not been very impressed with him in the playoffs. I can vividly remember watching him last year during a playoff game against Pittsburgh when he was casually skating back on defense and trailing the play.  It was an odd-man rush and he just didn't put the effort in that I expected.  Pittsburgh scored and that play, along with others, changed my opinion of Backstrom.

I'm not saying he is the reason we never succeeded in the playoffs, and I still want him in the lineup, but I don't consider him to be critical to winning in the playoffs.

Maacoshark

« Reply #7 on: Monday May 14, 2018, 08:02:58 PM Eastern »
When Backstrom returns I would like to see him on a line with Stephenson and Burakovsky.  I agree that Eller should stay on a line with Vrana and Oshie, that line has looked very good and no reason to break it up.  Big guestion is when is Backstrom returning.  No need to rush him, wait until he is 100%. From the sound of it though it does sound like he is close and I would not be surprised to see him in the lineup tomorrow night.
   I'd rather see Burakovsky a scratch. He is easily our weakest player right now.

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #8 on: Monday May 14, 2018, 08:21:16 PM Eastern »
   I'd rather see Burakovsky a scratch. He is easily our weakest player right now.

Burakovsky has just gotten back into the lineup the last couple of games.  IF the organization is committed to having him in the lineup, then you can't scuttle him after such a short time; he has to be given a chance to work himself back into true playoff condition.  I say IF, because I could conceivably see him traded after the playoffs in order to free up more cap room to resign Carlson, especially since Stephenson has shown so well recently, and Vrana is now obviously AT LEAST Bura's equal on the depth chart.

I suspect Backstrom is injured more seriously than public statements are acknowledging.  I don't think we will see him back in the lineup unless/until the Caps are trailing in a series; or maybe if this one goes to game 7 and a couple of others in the playing rotation are beginning to stumble.

Maacoshark

« Reply #9 on: Monday May 14, 2018, 08:40:42 PM Eastern »

Burakovsky has just gotten back into the lineup the last couple of games.  IF the organization is committed to having him in the lineup, then you can't scuttle him after such a short time; he has to be given a chance to work himself back into true playoff condition.  I say IF, because I could conceivably see him traded after the playoffs in order to free up more cap room to resign Carlson, especially since Stephenson has shown so well recently, and Vrana is now obviously AT LEAST Bura's equal on the depth chart.

I suspect Backstrom is injured more seriously than public statements are acknowledging.  I don't think we will see him back in the lineup unless/until the Caps are trailing in a series; or maybe if this one goes to game 7 and a couple of others in the playing rotation are beginning to stumble.
   Its the ECF. Can't wait for a player to get into playoff condition.

Offline HoustonCapsFan

• Third Coast Hockey Fan
« Reply #10 on: Monday May 14, 2018, 09:01:58 PM Eastern »
He doesn't start until game 4 at the earliest.  The team is clicking right now so why mess with it.  Win or lose I think we see him in game 4 if he is going to return at all.  Why? If we win, we can close them out and it gets him a game before the SCF.  If we lose, then he is a spark to change things up. 

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #11 on: Monday May 14, 2018, 10:04:56 PM Eastern »
   Its the ECF. Can't wait for a player to get into playoff condition.

If Backstrom isn't ready to go and Burakovsky were to be scratched, the choices for the 12th forward spot would be Gersich, Boyd, or Walker.  Think any of them are a better bet than Burakovsky to be playoff-tested/playoff ready?  Grecism has had almost no pro experience at all, never mind Stanley Cup experience.  Boyd and Walker are limited-skill grinders.  That's it.

I'm still suspicious that Backstrom is more seriously injured than public statements indicate, and he will either be saved for an emergency situation where the Caps' backs are against the wall, or he may really be out for the season and all the talk about him is a smokescreen to keep him on opponents' radar.

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #12 on: Monday May 14, 2018, 11:05:23 PM Eastern »
Sit Bura or Connelly.  Despite one GWG, Chaisson, though quiet, has been great these playoffs.

Depending on Backstroms injury, and what % he is, is what will determine his ice time.
Bura doesn't blend, the guy more concern to show his prowess, rather than be helpful for the team.

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #13 on: Monday May 14, 2018, 11:05:44 PM Eastern »
I guess I am in the minority, but I like Burakovsky. I bet he scores tomorrow night and goes on the o play well for us the rest of the playoffs.

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #14 on: Monday May 14, 2018, 11:14:44 PM Eastern »
I guess I am in the minority, but I like Burakovsky. I bet he scores tomorrow night and goes on the o play well for us the rest of the playoffs.
He has a good shot, can make play, but it looks like he plays for himself, not for the Caps.

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday May 15, 2018, 05:33:36 AM Eastern »
Bura doesn't blend, the guy more concern to show his prowess, rather than be helpful for the team.

Exactly this. On top of the fact that Burt is coming off injury, I feel the only reason he's plugged okay into the line up is we put him on a line where he can get away with a little of that.

Realistically, he's just like Kucherov for TB. Who was recently talking shit about how defensive it's been and was complaining that it needs to be entertaining for the fans. This is the playoffs, you don't want players who are more concerned with making highlight reel plays to try and boost their career profile when the Stanley Cup is on the line.

Regarding Backy, I feel like if he does return that we just go back to putting Stephenson on his line. I wouldn't really want to break up Eller Oshie and Vrana, so you'd probably put Connolly or Burt with Backy/Stephenson. But since Stephenson was a natural center anyway, losing Backy hasn't really been as hurtful as we initially thought. I feel like Beagle, Chiasson and DSP have earned their lock as Bottom 4 though, so really with the top line also locked just a matter of tinkering with the other 6. I also wouldn't mind seeing Backy play with Vrana and Connolly the more I think about it. Eller/Stephenson/Oshie would be an excellent, EXCELLENT, shut down line. Like wow.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday May 15, 2018, 07:48:54 AM Eastern »

If Backstrom isn't ready to go and Burakovsky were to be scratched, the choices for the 12th forward spot would be Gersich, Boyd, or Walker.  Think any of them are a better bet than Burakovsky to be playoff-tested/playoff ready?  Grecism has had almost no pro experience at all, never mind Stanley Cup experience.  Boyd and Walker are limited-skill grinders.  That's it.

I'm still suspicious that Backstrom is more seriously injured than public statements indicate, and he will either be saved for an emergency situation where the Caps' backs are against the wall, or he may really be out for the season and all the talk about him is a smokescreen to keep him on opponents' radar.
All three are more playoff ready and better playoff players than Bura.  Bura is just a KHLer that we overpaid for instead of trading when he had value, so now were stuck with him.

The ONLY place wed miss Bura is on the Power Play, but the improvement 5-5 and another PK option would make up for that.

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday May 15, 2018, 12:52:21 PM Eastern »
All three are more playoff ready and better playoff players than Bura.  Bura is just a KHLer that we overpaid for instead of trading when he had value, so now were stuck with him.

The ONLY place wed miss Bura is on the Power Play, but the improvement 5-5 and another PK option would make up for that.

Get real,please.  You cannot judge Gersich's readiness for playoff hockey after a few professional games in which he didn't look out of place.  This is an extreme example of the "grass is greener" syndrome.  As for Boyd and Walker, they are grinders who can probably feed into an effective defense, but any offensive contribution you'd get out of them would have to qualify as a complete surprise.

One reason I think that management appears pleased to get Bura back into the lineup is that they may think that the Caps can't hold off the Tampa offense forever, no matter what kind of defensive scheme they employ.  Thus, they may need that extra sniper in the lineup to give them the best chance of winning a higher scoring game.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see one or more 5-4 or 6-5 games in this series very soon.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday May 15, 2018, 01:52:01 PM Eastern »

Get real,please.  You cannot judge Gersich's readiness for playoff hockey after a few professional games in which he didn't look out of place.  This is an extreme example of the "grass is greener" syndrome.  As for Boyd and Walker, they are grinders who can probably feed into an effective defense, but any offensive contribution you'd get out of them would have to qualify as a complete surprise.

One reason I think that management appears pleased to get Bura back into the lineup is that they may think that the Caps can't hold off the Tampa offense forever, no matter what kind of defensive scheme they employ.  Thus, they may need that extra sniper in the lineup to give them the best chance of winning a higher scoring game.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see one or more 5-4 or 6-5 games in this series very soon.
Come on, they want him in because of his overpaid contract.  For a defensive liability and risk, he didnt even score 25 goals.  If he’s “that good”, gets PP time, and time with Nick & Ovie, how does he not at least get that?

But, with Bura on the ice, we won’t be able to hold off Tampa’s offense because Bura SUCKS at D, is lazy, makes idiotic decisions, and even more idiotic passes which result in more chances and goals than he creates.   So yeah, I’d pick a player that doesn’t have a history, nor is type to do that crap than someone who is “entertaining”

Make no mistake, we give up 4+ goals . . . this series will certainly not end well.  I know it will be the drama, the entertainment, and the sticky-gooey new NHL that layman’s love. . . but that will be the warning that the hot streak is over and bad habits are coming back
« Last Edit: Tuesday May 15, 2018, 02:02:47 PM Eastern by DC_1908 »

Offline 4 Caps

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday May 15, 2018, 04:52:19 PM Eastern »
I was at morning skate today and watched Backstrom very closely.  He participated fully but did not take line rushes which indicates he probably is not going to play tonight.  After practice he stayed on the ice and practiced with the healthy scratches.  I believe he will be playing the next game.  Watching him you would never know he was injured.  I did not see him take faceoffs and most of the time when he shot he took it easy although I did see him shoot the puck hard a couple of times.  I really think he could have played tonight but with us being up two games in the series they can be cautious.