Author Topic: If the Caps ultimately lose this series  (Read 14556 times)

Offline KitFisto

If the Caps ultimately lose this series
« on: Friday April 13, 2018, 08:01:45 AM Eastern »
If they are destined to lose this series then I hope it's a sweep. No, I don't want them to lose, but if they are going to then I hope it's an emphatic statement as to where this team is and somehow Ted gets it through his thick skull that it needs to be blown up. Keep the young talent and try to trade anyone over 30 for all of the picks and prospects you can get. Yes, we're stuck with Orpik for another year and Oshie's contract is probably untradeable as well, but everyone else can just go. Start over. He re signed GMBM so we're stuck there too, but Patrick needs to go along with Trotz. Just wipe the slate as clean as possible.

It should have happened last year or the year before, but they keep putting duct tape on on gaping wounds. I'd happily live through a few lean years to rebuild this pig.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
Re: If the Caps ultimately lose this series
« Reply #1 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 08:20:52 AM Eastern »
If they are destined to lose this series then I hope it's a sweep. No, I don't want them to lose, but if they are going to then I hope it's an emphatic statement as to where this team is and somehow Ted gets it through his thick skull that it needs to be blown up. Keep the young talent and try to trade anyone over 30 for all of the picks and prospects you can get. Yes, we're stuck with Orpik for another year and Oshie's contract is probably untradeable as well, but everyone else can just go. Start over. He re signed GMBM so we're stuck there too, but Patrick needs to go along with Trotz. Just wipe the slate as clean as possible.

It should have happened last year or the year before, but they keep putting duct tape on on gaping wounds. I'd happily live through a few lean years to rebuild this pig.
Agree completely!!

(also, the contract extension doesn't/shouldn’t  prevent BetaMale from beginning fired)

Offline KitFisto

« Reply #2 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 08:26:18 AM Eastern »
Agree completely!!

(also, the contract extension doesn't/shouldn’t  prevent BetaMale from beginning fired)

You're right that it shouldn't,  but we both know Ted. BM ain't going anywhere. It's a disgrace.

Maacoshark

« Reply #3 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 08:29:45 AM Eastern »

What young talent are you referring to? We don't have a lot of good young talent. You must be saying we should build around Kuzy

Offline KitFisto

« Reply #4 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 08:38:43 AM Eastern »
   What young talent are you referring to? We don't have a lot of good young talent. You must be saying we should build around Kuzy

They don't have a "build around" franchise player right now other than an aging Ovechkin. I wouldn't move Kuzy because he's a talented center who puts up points. I wouldn't shuffle off Vrana either just yet. There are some younger pieces here that you keep and then get as many picks as you can looking for the next REAL LEADER this team needs. Ovechkin has never been a great captain IMO.

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #5 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 11:35:12 AM Eastern »

They don't have a "build around" franchise player right now other than an aging Ovechkin. I wouldn't move Kuzy because he's a talented center who puts up points. I wouldn't shuffle off Vrana either just yet. There are some younger pieces here that you keep and then get as many picks as you can looking for the next REAL LEADER this team needs. Ovechkin has never been a great captain IMO.

OR you trade for, or acquire through UFA, the next REAL LEADER.  The problem is, the type of REAL LEADER I think you are talking about isn't going to want to come here if the organization is committed to a full rebuild, because a full rebuild in this day and age means losing on purpose (not throwing games, but making your team deliberately bad enough that you lose well over half your games.)  I think the player that would be designated as the REAL LEADER is one who is already here and will set a good example regardless of the team circumstances.  Could Oshie be that type of player?  Wilson?  How top-notch does a player have to be in addition to setting a good example of "playing the right way" in order to qualify as a REAL LEADER?

Offline KitFisto

« Reply #6 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 11:39:47 AM Eastern »

OR you trade for, or acquire through UFA, the next REAL LEADER.  The problem is, the type of REAL LEADER I think you are talking about isn't going to want to come here if the organization is committed to a full rebuild, because a full rebuild in this day and age means losing on purpose (not throwing games, but making your team deliberately bad enough that you lose well over half your games.)  I think the player that would be designated as the REAL LEADER is one who is already here and will set a good example regardless of the team circumstances.  Could Oshie be that type of player?  Wilson?  How top-notch does a player have to be in addition to setting a good example of "playing the right way" in order to qualify as a REAL LEADER?

I don't mean a real leader has to be a super star. Hunter was a good captain and he wasn't a super star. Wilson? Maybe he can blossom into the role if the current "leadership" goes. I don't see Oshie in the roll personally,  but he's probably a decent "A" to the "C".

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #7 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 12:16:53 PM Eastern »

We did:  Fedorov.  The biggest screw up was not keeping him around to teach Ovie to lead, and to continue to kick ass  Semins and keep the others in line and training them to follow Ovie.

We tried later with Arnott, Richards, and another "Captain" with Shattenkrap, but none could lead this group.

The overlying issue is that Ted, Dickless, GMBetaMale, and Monumental Entertainment, like and want stars.  They want the names, the records, the all-stars, the stats, the records, so those are the players they surround Ovie with.

So until that goes changes, the ice/locker room leadership isnt gonna make much of a difference at this point

Offline Pucktothehead

• Diamond Geezer
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #8 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 03:43:08 PM Eastern »
If the Caps lose this series then yes, fire the staff and trade anyone over 30. Orpik can be released. Start next season with Kuzy and Willie as the leaders.

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #9 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 04:47:45 PM Eastern »
If the Caps lose this series then yes, fire the staff and trade anyone over 30. Orpik can be released. Start next season with Kuzy and Willie as the leaders.

I think if Trotz goes, Rierdon will get the call.  Supposedly, 3 teams called the Caps about interviewing him for a head coaching job last offseason and the Caps refused to let anyone talk to him (their right because he was under contract, but teams often look the other way if a coach has a chance for a promotion.)  That seems to be a pretty clear signal that they wanted to have him available if they decided not to extend/resign Trotz.

As for Orpik, if the Caps truly would jettison Ovie and Backstrom they'd probably have plenty of cap room for the time being to buy out Orpik and manage the couple of million he'd count against the salary cap for the next two years.  If they released him, I believe they'd have to pay his full salary next year AND it would all count against the cap.  But folks' point is well taken here.  If the Caps truly want a reboot they HAVE to move Ovechkin and Backstrom, because if they don't, I'm sure they have given Ovie their word that they will do their best to surround him with a playoff-calibre team every year.  That prevents an except-for-Ovie reboot.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #10 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 07:01:01 PM Eastern »

I think if Trotz goes, Rierdon will get the call.  Supposedly, 3 teams called the Caps about interviewing him for a head coaching job last offseason and the Caps refused to let anyone talk to him (their right because he was under contract, but teams often look the other way if a coach has a chance for a promotion.)  That seems to be a pretty clear signal that they wanted to have him available if they decided not to extend/resign Trotz.

As for Orpik, if the Caps truly would jettison Ovie and Backstrom they'd probably have plenty of cap room for the time being to buy out Orpik and manage the couple of million he'd count against the salary cap for the next two years.  If they released him, I believe they'd have to pay his full salary next year AND it would all count against the cap.  But folks' point is well taken here.  If the Caps truly want a reboot they HAVE to move Ovechkin and Backstrom, because if they don't, I'm sure they have given Ovie their word that they will do their best to surround him with a playoff-calibre team every year.  That prevents an except-for-Ovie reboot.
Actually, dumping Kuzy. Bura, Oshie, Carlson and Orlov along with Connolly, Eller, Vrana, and almost anyone else not named Wilson and Beagle.

The screwed up thing is Ovie and Nick NEED to stay, even if it’s for names or being decoys. . . Let those two do their thing, and restock everyone else not named, or that doesn’t play like, Beagle and Wilson and give them  flights to non playoff teams or the   KHL.

We need masculine muscle, work ethic  and aggression, not the figure skating/video game crap Monumental Entertainment uses as the cyanide in The Rock The Red Kool Aide

Maacoshark

« Reply #11 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 07:35:07 PM Eastern »
   I still don't agree with you on Beagle. I love his work ethic but he hasn't had a very good season. If he wasnt a dominant faceoff man he might not even be in the NHL. Its hard to even say he is a 200 foot player because spends almost all of his time in the defensive zone.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #12 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 09:25:55 PM Eastern »
   I still don't agree with you on Beagle. I love his work ethic but he hasn't had a very good season. If he wasnt a dominant faceoff man he might not even be in the NHL. Its hard to even say he is a 200 foot player because spends almost all of his time in the defensive zone.
I doubt many players in NHL can shoulder the sheer neglect of defense from 2 or 3 other centers and 6-7 D like Beagle does,

He is from the mold of Kris Draper and John Madden, a real man,. . . but neither of them had to deal with worthless trash centers that Beagle does. . . so he would be even better if he wasn't held back by Dickless and BetaMale

But on the Caps. Eurotrash like Suzy and Helen Keller are preferred, so he's expected to clean up for that garbage and then saying  "he doesn't score 100 points so he's a worthless ECHL wanna be" bullshit . . . sorry if the garbage "in front of him" werent in the KHL were they belong, we'd of assuredly had cups by now,

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #13 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 09:33:06 PM Eastern »
Actually, dumping Kuzy. Bura, Oshie, Carlson and Orlov along with Connolly, Eller, Vrana, and almost anyone else not named Wilson and Beagle.

The screwed up thing is Ovie and Nick NEED to stay, even if it’s for names or being decoys. . . Let those two do their thing, and restock everyone else not named, or that doesn’t play like, Beagle and Wilson and give them  flights to non playoff teams or the   KHL.

We need masculine muscle, work ethic  and aggression, not the figure skating/video game crap Monumental Entertainment uses as the cyanide in The Rock The Red Kool Aide

DC, the organization can't and won't do that.  Leonsis promised Ovie he would build a team around him to go after a Stanley Cup.  Now I'm not sure exactly what you think about that, but it would seem to have to be one of two things with regard to management.

(1)  [size=78%]You may think that they have not made a good-faith effort to do that, instead purposefully going for glitz that they know draws fans and can get some regular-season success, but doesn't pay off in the end.  But what you think doesn't matter.  In the end, what matters is what Alex Ovechkin thinks.  If Ovie thought that his own management was sabotaging his career that way, don't you think he would have forced management to move him by now? [/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]OR [/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%](2)  You may think that management HAS made a good-faith effort to do that, but is too stupid to see what you obviously know, being all-wise, is the ONLY way to build a team to win the Stanley Cup.  But then the same question arises as is the case for option 1:  If Ovie thought this organization was too clueless to build a worthy team around him, wouldn't he have wanted out by now?[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]There is only one other alternative that I can see to the logic of what I have stated thus far.  And that is that Alex Ovechkin is too apathetic about success (option 1) or too ignorant himself of what makes a championship hockey team (option 2), that he has faithfully bound himself to this organization despite its obvious (to you at least) failings.  Either way, Ovechkin would seem to be a big part of the problem rather than a big part of the solution.  And so the entire Ovechkin era has not only been a failure, but it has been a failure that never had a realistic chance to succeed, even given the obvious talents that Ovechkin has brought to the table.  In that case the organization hasn't wasted the Ovechkin career.  The organization AND Alex Ovechkin has basically been a pointless exercise over the past 13 years.[/size]

Maacoshark

« Reply #14 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 09:57:40 PM Eastern »
I doubt many players in NHL can shoulder the sheer neglect of defense from 2 or 3 other centers and 6-7 D like Beagle does,

He is from the mold of Kris Draper and John Madden, a real man,. . . but neither of them had to deal with worthless trash centers that Beagle does. . . so he would be even better if he wasn't held back by Dickless and BetaMale
   I'm not saying I don't like that style of player because I do like those kind of players. I like Beagle too. I just wish he had a bit more upside in the offensive zone. I'm a firm believer in players playing both ways which is why I am hard on one dimensional players like Burakovsky and Vrana. Beagle is kind of one dimensional himself in a different way. But I definitely prefer him over a lot of other guys. I'm not a fan of Burakovsky, Vrana or Eller. Not really a fan of Connolly either. I do like Kuzy even though he has plenty of faults. I will give him a pass because his skills are unreplacable. Someone has to generate offense. I also have no problem with Carlson or Orlov but we could sure use a couple shutdown dmen in our core.

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #15 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 10:01:52 PM Eastern »
The Caps core (Ovi, Backstrom, Carlson) just has never had the “win at any cost” mentality and they certainly aren’t leaders. Ovi has proven to be a very poor Captain. Backstrom is just plain passive. Carlson has zero intensity. A core like this rubs off on the rest of the guys. It is what it is.... we have at least three more years of this.

Maacoshark

« Reply #16 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 10:27:22 PM Eastern »
The Caps core (Ovi, Backstrom, Carlson) just has never had the “win at any cost” mentality and they certainly aren’t leaders. Ovi has proven to be a very poor Captain. Backstrom is just plain passive. Carlson has zero intensity. A core like this rubs off on the rest of the guys. It is what it is.... we have at least three more years of this.
   Not sure why you are dissing Carlson. He was easily our best dman last night. Even in the defensive zone. He played a very solid game. He was also involved in 100% of our goals for and I don't think he was on the ice for any goals against.

Offline waynerivers

« Reply #17 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 10:51:30 PM Eastern »
I doubt anything will happen.  Management in general, including in DC, is just not that smart.  In fact, they're so dumb that the players they deemed unworthy of keeping now make up one of the best teams in the league in Vegas.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #18 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 11:51:33 PM Eastern »
I doubt anything will happen.  Management in general, including in DC, is just not that smart.  In fact, they're so dumb that the players they deemed unworthy of keeping now make up one of the best teams in the league in Vegas.
No argument. . .

In fact we’re said that same thing for years

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #19 on: Saturday April 14, 2018, 12:48:26 AM Eastern »
One game lost and already a panic mode, and wishing a defeat of own team.