Author Topic: Trade Deadline  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
Re: Trade Deadline
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday March 22, 2022, 10:36:56 AM Eastern »
Rich - the more I think about it, they felt they really needed to get Sprong out of the lockerroom. I think the extra draft picks were compensation for that risk to the Kraken.  Our GM probably was honest about whatever issue there was. So I guess I am ok with giving up the picks.

However we gave up a third for the other guy we got and I don't like that.  We need every decent draft pick we have and a third is decent.

Our farm team has been terrible for a lot of years now.  Instead of giving away picks for rentals, every single year, we should be filling our holes internally.

Offline richkrt99

• Oh, I'm the Hillbilly alrighty!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday March 22, 2022, 12:49:52 PM Eastern »
However we gave up a third for the other guy we got and I don't like that.  We need every decent draft pick we have and a third is decent.

Our farm team has been terrible for a lot of years now.  Instead of giving away picks for rentals, every single year, we should be filling our holes internally.

Agree 100%.  Throw away a 3rd round pick for a 29 YO utility player who is a UFA basically 18 games from now?  That makes no sense.
(Probably the Caps management is just so wise they realize he is a playoff ringer that NOBODY knows about because he's never been in a playoff.)

The more I think about MOJO - I think he is replacement for Hags....maybe hedging their bets Hags is done for good.  I assume if a player has career ending injury then he no longer counts against the Cap hit (next year)
and MOJO at $1.5 is not bad....at $750k he's a steal and below entry level contract pay
FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #42 on: Tuesday March 22, 2022, 05:16:49 PM Eastern »
Maybe the Caps made these trades to corner the market on "sson's".

But seriously, I'm not sure about speculation on MJ being an eventual replacement for Hagelin if his injury turns out to be a career-ender.  I see MJ is apparently skating on line 1 tonight.  It may be that Larsson is the replacement for Hagelin, at least for the rest of this season.

When I first heard of the Larsson acquisition I went to the player stats. wondering if he was a strong face-off man and THAT was what they were trying to address.  But no, in the last few years his FO% has been in the mid-high 40's, so it isn't that.  The only thing that makes any sense to me is a comment I read in one article that he is considered around the league to be a top-notch shut-down forward.  I wonder if they got him to try to build a shut-down line for the playoffs to contend with some of the young superstar forwards on other teams they will see. 

This strategy may be a part of a broader approach that the Caps may feel is their best chance in the playoffs.  They can no longer skate with a lot of the teams they will be facing, so their best bet would seem to be playing heavy and slowing the game down.  Slowing down the very best offensive players may require defensive aptitude as well as grit.  I don't particularly care for it as a strategy because the Caps' goaltending is suspect, but they may think of it as their best chance.  Larsson fits very well into that kind of strategy, especially if he is put on the Dowd/Hathaway line.

Offline richkrt99

• Oh, I'm the Hillbilly alrighty!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday March 22, 2022, 06:17:38 PM Eastern »
Yeah, I don't really see MOJO as really shut down guy...I kind of meant replace Hagelin's body with another one, but I see Moho capable of filling more holes than Hag's.

I don't know nothing about the other guy, but the 4th line needs something with Hags out and sounds like Hags is not coming back this year anyway.

FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK