Author Topic: GDT#60 Caps vs Bolts @7pm 2-20-18  (Read 15443 times)

Maacoshark

Re: GDT#60 Caps vs Bolts @7pm 2-20-18
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 09:39:58 PM Eastern »
All teams do that with their defence men now. Thats why it is so important for forwards to be defensively responsible. I dont mind dmen pinching once in awhile but it happens on almost every possession in the offensive zone.

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 09:47:58 PM Eastern »
   Carlson pinched deep and Oshie was covering for him. That is a set play, all of our dmen do it. I wouldnt really blame anyone. We have to play aggressive in the offensive zone. And we got caught. Kucherov left the zone very early. Too bad we couldn't keep it in the zone.

Carlson pinched on the near wall before the play came out, Djoos attempted to keep it in (and pinched himself) which lead to the breakway that Oshie couldn't carrel as he tried to cover for Carlson. Nobody was covering for Djoos because our system doesn't call for both defenders to pinch. Technically, once Carlson pinched Djoos should of looked behind him to recognize he should be safer on the play given that he already had a D pinching and a forward attempting to get into position to cover.

But I hear you, that one isn't entirely on a single player. Not a great timed pinch by Carlson that likely would of been eroded had Djoos been able to also keep his pinch in. Had Oshie got to the recovery in time as well, would of been cleaned up.

Anyway. At least it wasn't a blowout I guess. Team needs to find it's rhythm. We'll see what happens deadline wise but even though I want to see bigger trades I don't earnestly think that will happen. Like Beaglesfan mentioned in here earlier, not much will be done other than picks sent out. I wouldn't be shocked if we do nothing else either and just run with the one player we traded for, we did give up a 3rd to get him after all.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 10:10:26 PM Eastern »
All teams do that with their defence men now. Thats why it is so important for forwards to be defensively responsible. I dont mind dmen pinching once in awhile but it happens on almost every possession in the offensive zone.
I’m watching the Wings now, and down by one in the third the D isn’t pinching.  They’re on the blue line, hopping on loose pucks, playing down the wall and keeping the puck the zone. . .  Ya know stuff our guys rarely do.

Regardless, these plays are a liabilities  that are being exploited

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 10:17:23 PM Eastern »

Anyway. At least it wasn't a blowout I guess. Team needs to find it's rhythm. We'll see what happens deadline wise but even though I want to see bigger trades I don't earnestly think that will happen. Like Beaglesfan mentioned in here earlier, not much will be done other than picks sent out. I wouldn't be shocked if we do nothing else either and just run with the one player we traded for, we did give up a 3rd to get him after all.

Us giving a third for him just means that after Chicago waxed us, they made one last call before they put him on waivers.

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 10:22:07 PM Eastern »

Us giving a third for him just means that after Chicago waxed us, they made one last call before they put him on waivers.

We'll have to wait and see if it's a waxing. I was lurking some Chicago forums and saw a mixed reaction to the deal. A lot of fans of that team were having issues with quality players getting good ice time, and apparently they actually all thought who we traded for (Kemper, Kempf, I could google it but it's one of those names lol) was alright. He's not physical but he he isn't shy from getting hit apparently and still passes well and plays well under pressure. I'm not going to say it was a steal either, just some food for thought. Some of their fans felt it was fair value and others weren't all to happy with how he was treated and were hoping to see him succeed with us. We'll have to wait and see once he gets a sweater.

Online Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 11:09:36 PM Eastern »
I blame Djoos on the last goal. Last line of defense (Oshie) is on the ice sprawled out and he tries a weak backhand pass, right to the Lightning.. Should of just held the puck and made a clean pass. Lack of experience maybe? Not sure what Niskanen's excuse is a dozen times a game where he attemps a 100' cross ice pass that gets picked off or just decides to throw it in the middle of his own zone where the opposition is waiting.. Plus he looks like he's on a senior/geritol league with that goofy skating stride. There's very few of those guys aren't getting on my last nerve here lately..

Maacoshark

« Reply #66 on: Wednesday February 21, 2018, 06:49:06 PM Eastern »
I blame Djoos on the last goal. Last line of defense (Oshie) is on the ice sprawled out and he tries a weak backhand pass, right to the Lightning.. Should of just held the puck and made a clean pass. Lack of experience maybe? Not sure what Niskanen's excuse is a dozen times a game where he attemps a 100' cross ice pass that gets picked off or just decides to throw it in the middle of his own zone where the opposition is waiting.. Plus he looks like he's on a senior/geritol league with that goofy skating stride. There's very few of those guys aren't getting on my last nerve here lately..
   No argument from me