Author Topic: GDT#60 Caps vs Bolts @7pm 2-20-18  (Read 15458 times)

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
Re: GDT#60 Caps vs Bolts @7pm 2-20-18
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 08:07:09 PM Eastern »
Ya know, I doubt Victor Hedmam or his clone would get a shot with the Caps.

Can’t skate, to big, doesn’t move the puck.

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 08:10:51 PM Eastern »
I think the first thing to do tomorrow, is say goodbye to Trotz.  He isn't mean enough. Have Riordan serve as interim and let him earn a contract, or dump all the coaches and start again with a Sutter, Keenan, or someone else with some experience that won't tolerate this optional skate club shangri-la attitude

LOL. It's Trotz that isn't mean enough, really? Do you honestly think we'd even last a season with Sutter? You guys get that it's the core team that is the problem right? It's an attitude issue with them and it always has been. Every single coach who has ever been hard on our core group of players has seen the door.

But it's okay, like most our fan base I guess is just content continuing to blame the coach even though it's what, like our 8th under Ovie and most of this group? I can't even count anymore. Their own work ethic and mental fortitude is the issue, it always has been. It can be said a million times but when the going gets tough the caps get going, and you can throw Scotty Bowman of old in there and it won't change anything. Down a goal, game 7, THE PLAYERS quit. The players get frustrated, the players give up. The coach can only do so much, this team has been due a huge identity shake up for ages. We either commit to a rebuild or commit to winning with Ovie but either way it should involve bigger names out the door, a restructuring of some our leadership and so on.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 08:11:03 PM Eastern »
I think the first thing to do tomorrow, is say goodbye to Trotz.  He isn't mean enough. Have Riordan serve as interim and let him earn a contract, or dump all the coaches and start again with a Sutter, Keenan, or someone else with some experience that won't tolerate this optional skate club shangri-la attitude
I think it’s more than and higher up than Trotz

This group of players was given to him by the organization.  He’s  probably checked out like Holts and Nisky has

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 08:15:25 PM Eastern »

LOL. It's Trotz that isn't mean enough, really? Do you honestly think we'd even last a season with Sutter? You guys get that it's the core team that is the problem right? It's an attitude issue with them and it always has been. Every single coach who has ever been hard on our core group of players has seen the door.

But it's okay, like most our fan base I guess is just content continuing to blame the coach even though it's what, like our 8th under Ovie and most of this group? I can't even count anymore. Their own work ethic and mental fortitude is the issue, it always has been. It can be said a million times but when the going gets tough the caps get going, and you can throw Scotty Bowman of old in there and it won't change anything. Down a goal, game 7, THE PLAYERS quit. The players get frustrated, the players give up. The coach can only do so much, this team has been due a huge identity shake up for ages. We either commit to a rebuild or commit to winning with Ovie but either way it should involve bigger names out the door, a restructuring of some our leadership and so on.
YOURE DAMN RIGHT!!!

Let us also not forget the a big part of this core is now locked into long term, high dollar contracts to.

Offline washcapsfan

• Advanced Member
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 08:20:16 PM Eastern »

Ok. So what changes do you make if you are the gm

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 08:24:39 PM Eastern »
YOURE DAMN RIGHT!!!

Let us also not forget the a big part of this core is now locked into long term, high dollar contracts to.

Yeah it's why I'd rather just they suck it up and go for it with some of the core. Carlson is due a huge FA bump and is high trade value, he could go. Burt, Vrana, Connolly, we have players who are a bit younger that teams could be interested in. Not even just this season for the future, obviously if we rebuild you have to ask yourself what happens with Ovechkin, Backstrom etc. But I'd still rather see them get Nisky someone to play on a real top pairing and then shore up some grit/depth/leadership everywhere else.

I realize some might argue that you would be a fool to trade some of our younger players when we have no idea if we are going to win or not. But that is part and parcel to a huge problem with ours and has been. For as much as the management always says they go for it, do they really? Even the Shattenkirk deal last season, our GM's want to be lauded for being smart, and savvy, they always have. They focus so much on this long term game that micromanaging valuable prospects, making sure build valuable depth and the like that not enough focus is spent on what the team is doing now, what it's identity is now. If you were to look at our roster as a hole, what are we?

Are we competitors? I mean, I guess, Oshie, Ovie, Nicky, Kuzy, Holtby, the number of top NHL players on our roster is high, we win games, we score goals, we are a playoff team. But our farm team and depth is some of the youngest unready NHL talent your ever going to see. Those are traits not  of an NHL contender. They are traits of teams like Arizona, of rebuilders. I said it before but far too often when it comes to the roster we ice we end up taking steps back everytime we take steps forward. We'll fix an issue like 2C with Kuzy coming into town, and then lose the depth pieces that helped keep us above the board with names like Ward/Chimera.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 08:30:23 PM Eastern »

First tell Dickless Patrick that he needs to resign

Replace the scouting department

Then Fire Salel

Kuzy, Bura, Orlov, Oshie, Orpik Varna gone

Then tell Trotz he has next season, and to fire his defensive coach or I will 

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 08:30:55 PM Eastern »

For the record I'm not implying it's easy, or trying to diminish the quality of work all our GM and players have done. Criticism at this level generally comes with a respect that I know I'm not a GM, same with players. It's not about understanding if I could do it better it's just about relative comparisons, which is ultimately what we as fans all end up critiquing on anyways.

None the less I think they should sell a few players, some of the younger ones, get a bit older/grittier depth to handle a wider array of teams. I think despite his relative youth Carlson should go, circumstance and situation dictate that for me. He's never been great for us in the playoffs on either side of the puck and the increase in pace, and physicality shows signs of overwhelming him. Add to that he is a good offensive player statistically and we live in a salary cap era and he's going to demand far more than he currently makes. Yeah, sure I'd trade him. Lots of teams would bid on him, everybody needs puck moving defenders.

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 08:33:58 PM Eastern »
First tell Dickless Patrick that he needs to resign

Replace the scouting department

Then Fire Salel

Kuzy, Bura, Orlov, Oshie, Orpik Varna gone

Then tell Trotz he has next season, and to fire his defensive coach or I will

Kinda stunned you'd lose Oshie. Orlov to a lesser extent as well, especially if the goal is win now. Your not going to find many skill guys who work as hard as Oshie, and I know your a big fan of the physical play, and size, but I think he's still an asset for us in the playoffs. He hasn't been here long enough and I still see work ethic from him most nights. Last year during the playoffs the play of both he and Williams I thought was good, some of the rare few good play we had from forwards. I guess I'm not just convinced we'd find a skill player who happens to show up more in the playoffs than Oshie does.

Orlov is a tough case, because he has such good sparks. I also think he has improved defensively. I'd take Orlov over Carlson at this stage just because I feel Orlov has more of a mean streak too him.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 08:36:05 PM Eastern »

Yeah it's why I'd rather just they suck it up and go for it with some of the core. Carlson is due a huge FA bump and is high trade value, he could go. Burt, Vrana, Connolly, we have players who are a bit younger that teams could be interested in. Not even just this season for the future, obviously if we rebuild you have to ask yourself what happens with Ovechkin, Backstrom etc. But I'd still rather see them get Nisky someone to play on a real top pairing and then shore up some grit/depth/leadership everywhere else.

I realize some might argue that you would be a fool to trade some of our younger players when we have no idea if we are going to win or not. But that is part and parcel to a huge problem with ours and has been. For as much as the management always says they go for it, do they really? Even the Shattenkirk deal last season, our GM's want to be lauded for being smart, and savvy, they always have. They focus so much on this long term game that micromanaging valuable prospects, making sure build valuable depth and the like that not enough focus is spent on what the team is doing now, what it's identity is now. If you were to look at our roster as a hole, what are we?

Are we competitors? I mean, I guess, Oshie, Ovie, Nicky, Kuzy, Holtby, the number of top NHL players on our roster is high, we win games, we score goals, we are a playoff team. But our farm team and depth is some of the youngest unready NHL talent your ever going to see. Those are traits not  of an NHL contender. They are traits of teams like Arizona, of rebuilders. I said it before but far too often when it comes to the roster we ice we end up taking steps back everytime we take steps forward. We'll fix an issue like 2C with Kuzy coming into town, and then lose the depth pieces that helped keep us above the board with names like Ward/Chimera.
Agree again.

This the time to adopt the Pats philosophy of “trade to early  not to late”.

A good GM could turn Kuzy, Bura. and Orlov into 5 or players/picks and gain cap room.

Maacoshark

« Reply #30 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 08:42:32 PM Eastern »
Ya know, I doubt Victor Hedmam or his clone would get a shot with the Caps.

Can’t skate, to big, doesn’t move the puck.
   Lol Hedman might be the best dman in the league. I'd love to have him or a guy like Ristolainen. How come we dont draft guys like that?

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 08:43:05 PM Eastern »
You guys are smoking crack if you think they will trade away anybody decent that has value. They will only trade draft picks and whatever young guys that have any upside for some overrated veteran that is all we need to win the Cup. C’mon, we are THIS close!

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 08:49:17 PM Eastern »
   Lol Hedman might be the best dman in the league. I'd love to have him or a guy like Ristolainen. How come we dont draft guys like that?
Just not in the “Caps Stanley Cup Winning Template For The New NHL” crafted by “people who know hockey”

This includes things like “can’t skate, doesn’t move the puck, to big, doesn’t have stats”

We all see how well this is working  >:(

Maacoshark

« Reply #33 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 08:54:37 PM Eastern »
Hedman pretty much does everything well.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 08:57:16 PM Eastern »
Hedman pretty much does everything well.
yeah you and I know that. . 

Offline washcapsfan

• Advanced Member
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 09:05:46 PM Eastern »
Our centers cannot win a faceoff.. Only Beagle, who doesn't get power play time. Bura can go.  He's not strong enough to do anything in the NHL.  He's a rag doll that gets knocked off the puck easily. Vrana is a young Chimera. Fast as lightning, but stone hands.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 09:13:33 PM Eastern »
Our centers cannot win a faceoff.. Only Beagle, who doesn't get power play time. But a can go.  He's not strong enough to do anything in the NHL.  He's a rag doll that gets knocked off the puck easily. Vrana is a young Chimera. Fast as lightning, but stone hands.
But hey fixed that problem by locking in Kuzy, Bura, and Ellet for 5yrs. .   

Offline washcapsfan

• Advanced Member
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 09:16:14 PM Eastern »
But hey fixed that problem by locking in Kuzy, Bura, and Ellet for 5yrs. .

Bura was not signed for 5 years

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 09:18:03 PM Eastern »
Wicked shot there. We may salvage a point out of this yet.

Maacoshark

« Reply #39 on: Tuesday February 20, 2018, 09:18:44 PM Eastern »
Our centers cannot win a faceoff.. Only Beagle, who doesn't get power play time. Bura can go.  He's not strong enough to do anything in the NHL.  He's a rag doll that gets knocked off the puck easily. Vrana is a young Chimera. Fast as lightning, but stone hands.
   Yet Backstrom is 9 and 4 in the faceoff circle so far and Beagle us 2 and 4. Not sure what you are complaining about.