Author Topic: GDT #15 Caps vs Pens @ 7pm  (Read 5207 times)

Offline Surreylily

• I can start fire with two hard drives
  • Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
Re: GDT #15 Caps vs Pens @ 7pm
« Reply #60 on: Sunday November 14, 2021, 11:10:41 PM Eastern »
Feel free to join in. contribute, maybe?
I am

Offline Surreylily

• I can start fire with two hard drives
  • Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #61 on: Sunday November 14, 2021, 11:12:10 PM Eastern »
There ya go. 

Sweet dreams all.

We thrashed 'em.   
I am

Online Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #62 on: Monday November 15, 2021, 11:01:46 AM Eastern »
Well, since nobody seems to be up for a chat, the one time I am  and can... I'd best bugger off then.

Yup, I turned in before seeing anymore posts. Not sure what's up with your Pops but hope all is ok! Also hope the tooth feels better!  :hearts:  Oh and get some sleep and eat some food while yer at it!  :raspberry: :wackysmile:

Offline richkrt99

• Oh, I'm the Hillbilly alrighty!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #63 on: Monday November 15, 2021, 11:25:21 AM Eastern »
DAMNNNNNNN!!!!

Hell Yeah fellas.  Good game.  Sorry I missed it.  I saw about half the first and my stream kept glitching.  Had a heck of a time getting it started - missed the first 8 minutes or so.  (This is what I get for poking fun at Lil's CB/Atari setup)
Had lots of family over so I was only going to see the first anyway.

Six goals and none by Ovi?

I thought Vtek looked good for the parts I saw.  Hens looked like a turnover machine.

Nice to see the boys get up for a big game.  Nice to see them spank Cindy and the Hens.  I read Cindy was "visibly frustrated"  Love it.

Hens not so sharp this year it seems.  And they were on the back end of a back to back with travel - which sucks for everyone.

GO Caps!!
FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #64 on: Tuesday November 16, 2021, 10:29:13 AM Eastern »
I wonder what Backstrom's condition REALLY is and how long he is REALLY going to be out.  The organization is being its usual opaque self about this.

As long as the team is doing OK and several young players are getting useful NHL exposure due to the Salary Cap exemption provided by Backstrom's LTIR status, it would seem that the organization may be in no hurry to restore him to the active roster until he is really really really really ...... really really ready.  Or mayyyyyyyyybe even the slightest bit longer.  $9 million of exemption goes a hell of a long way in giving cheap young players NHL exposure.

The Pens defense looked either a step slow in foot speed or a step slow in situation recognition all night long.  We tend to complain about our defensive mistakes whenever the opposition scores -- but we tend to overlook the fact that all teams make mistakes and get out of whack at times during games.  It isn't like we are alone in this.

Offline richkrt99

• Oh, I'm the Hillbilly alrighty!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday November 16, 2021, 04:44:10 PM Eastern »
I wonder what Backstrom's condition REALLY is and how long he is REALLY going to be out.  The organization is being its usual opaque self about this.

As long as the team is doing OK and several young players are getting useful NHL exposure due to the Salary Cap exemption provided by Backstrom's LTIR status, it would seem that the organization may be in no hurry to restore him to the active roster until he is really really really really ...... really really ready.  Or mayyyyyyyyybe even the slightest bit longer.  $9 million of exemption goes a hell of a long way in giving cheap young players NHL exposure.

I'd agree with that.  As long as the team is winning, the longer Backy is out, the more Cap space there is to play with later....like towards the end of the year.  It's not a snapshot in time but more like a pool of overage they are allowed equal to that players cap hit.  And when it gets to playoff time...No cap at all.  Which I think they need to address seeing how the Bolts totally took advantage of that in their Cup win.

Honestly sounds like he's getting close though.  He and Oshie both are traveling with the team to the West Coast.  Which  I really don't understand....I can't see them playing so I guess they just wanted some Sunshine...or I guess maybe they get some practices in with the team?  I don't see either guy dressing for the back to back.  But then.....WTF do I know?

FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #66 on: Tuesday November 16, 2021, 05:37:43 PM Eastern »
Rich, that isn't how I understand LTIR to work salary-cap-wise.  My understanding is that LTIR provides NO salary cap relief.  The salary of the player on LTIR continues to be counted, day by day, toward the salary cap.  What DOES happen is that while the player is on LTIR the team gets an exemption to go OVER the salary cap, to bring in a player or players replace him on the roster.  The daily exemption is equal to the daily salary of the LTIR player; in Backstrom's case, the daily amount of a $9 million season-long salary.  Because Backstrom's salary is so big the team could bring up half a roster of Hershey callus to "replace" him.  And that is sort of what they have been doing, with all the guys called up.  Then, the day that the LTIR player returns to active status the team loses its exemption and must immediately be in compliance with the Cap, having banked no relief whatsoever from the player's absence.  In the Caps' situation, since they started the season tight up against the salary cap with their opening-night roster excluding Backstrom "replacements," they will still be tight up against the cap on the day he returns.

If anyone understands this situation differently than me and has pertinent information about it, please chime in.