Author Topic: GDT #13 Caps at Red Wings @ 7:30pm  (Read 6426 times)

Offline BlackIce

Re: GDT #13 Caps at Red Wings @ 7:30pm
« Reply #80 on: Friday November 12, 2021, 07:05:23 AM Eastern »
Fucale was originally drafted in round 2, and I THINK he may have been the first goalie selected in that draft.  In other words, he was thought of as a top goaltender talent at the time.  And then ..... he seemed to just get lost in the weeds, and "never panned out."  I don't know of any serious injury problems with him or anything.  And since he was selected in round 2 no one has ever made any fuss about him as a big-time bust, like they would if, say, a forward taken with the #! overall pick never made it.

Point is, there is probably some type of pedigree there.  Maybe he's just a late bloomer or something.

It sure seems as though Samsonov is our "prospect who is lost in the weeds" right now.  Which in turn makes another point:  How long to you hold on to HIM?  The Caps invested a couple million AAV on him, so they must still think highly of him.  But the pressure on this franchise is always to win NOW, while Ovie's window "is still open."  And the Metro Division is so close and so good that if the emphasis is trying to win now, you had better not take your foot off the gas for a moment, or you'll get passed by..

Fucale is now on a hot streak that really started in the spring at Hershey.  If he were to continue to show well and VV is who he is, a very capable backup at WORST, and the way he's being treated, a reasonably good starter, all of a sudden we may have a "Samsonov problem."

Offline Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #81 on: Friday November 12, 2021, 08:56:21 AM Eastern »
Hey peeps.  My bloody internet cut out.    :angry:
It has literally only just come back on line.

My tooth still really hurts.   

Glad we won, but I would have liked to have seen more of our newbie goaltender.  From the little i got to see, he looked sharp.   I bet there were some antics in the locker room after the game.    :uh-huh:
What were your thoughts?

It was Rich' fault!!  :uh-huh: 

Fucale looked, to be honest, the best a Caps goalie has looked all year to me? Played with a lot of confidence, kept in his net, made some nice saves and played the puck better then VV and IS combined.. Certainly didn't look like a rookie in his first NHL start. Hope, if he gets more chances, he continues to look good! Team played pretty well in front of him too, so that's always good.

Not sure what it is about Detroit, but they (imo) are going to be a pain in the ass sooner then later, for the east. Something about them just looks different? Speed, youth, tenacity? Dunno, they just look like a team that's on the quick rise to me. 

Hope the tooth feels better Lil!! Rub some bourbon on it and see ya this evening!  :P

Offline Surreylily

• I can start fire with two hard drives
  • Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #82 on: Sunday November 14, 2021, 06:10:24 PM Eastern »
Thanks for the skinny on Fucale fellas.   Looks positive..... :)
I am

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #83 on: Tuesday November 16, 2021, 10:37:50 AM Eastern »
Thanks for the skinny on Fucale fellas.   Looks positive..... :)

Guy's got to be wondering, "what do I gotta do .....?"  Called up, throws a shutout, sent back down ....."

Pecking order and salary cap limitations are a b***h.