Talk about Capitals hockey & more! > Washington Capitals & Other Hockey Discussion

Capitals off season moves and draft picks

<< < (15/22) > >>

alta:
I still think this was not a good move for the Caps...

https://novacapsfans.com/2020/11/22/a-closer-look-at-capitals-defenseman-justin-schultz/#more-301058

as I've noted before, I really don't care how few goals a good solid defenseman gets. A true Norris dman isn't going to have 15-20 goals, even if he's on PP1. The league leading PP is only suscesfull %33 of the time, and in D.C. for the last 15 years OV has a good %70 of those goals. I remember how excited everyone got when someone like Erskin or Brash scored, because it it didn't happen often. But their defense stopped far more goals than they gave up. Carlson needs to score 15 a year just to break even in that category, double that in the playoffs.

richkrt99:

--- Quote from: alta on Monday November 23, 2020, 08:57:24 AM Eastern ---I still think this was not a good move for the Caps...

https://novacapsfans.com/2020/11/22/a-closer-look-at-capitals-defenseman-justin-schultz/#more-301058

as I've noted before, I really don't care how few goals a good solid defenseman gets. A true Norris dman isn't going to have 15-20 goals, even if he's on PP1. The league leading PP is only suscesfull %33 of the time, and in D.C. for the last 15 years OV has a good %70 of those goals. I remember how excited everyone got when someone like Erskin or Brash scored, because it it didn't happen often. But their defense stopped far more goals than they gave up. Carlson needs to score 15 a year just to break even in that category, double that in the playoffs.

--- End quote ---

We shall see.  I imagine he's a bit of a crap shoot with the recent injury history as well.  Maybe they are hoping he helps increasing scoring more than he hurts goals against?  Although that doesn't really sound like a recipe for addressing the need to improve team D...especially considering our woeful GAA trend of years late.
The article notes Lavy "may" be the best defensive coach SHultz will have played for, but I don't hold my breath there.....Not like Lavy is going to turn Ovi (as an example) into a stellar 2-way player because he is a good defensive coach.  I'm hoping for all around improvement in team D but some guys are just more offensive (ahem...Johnny Q) than others and not sure we have the skillset of any true lock down D guys.
Hopefully we get to find out this year. 

canadiancapman:
Hendrix Lapierre was cut this morning by Team Canada's world junior team

alta:
that's one way to fix the cap space problem  ::)

https://novacapsfans.com/2020/12/17/henrik-lundqvist-announces-he-will-not-join-capitals-in-2020-21-due-to-heart-condition/

if his heart is that bad he shouldn't even be playing sports

Mickstix:
Is there an expansion draft this year? Does that exempt Lundy? Is he still under contract with the Caps or was it just a 1 year deal? Either way, he'd of been nice to have on the roster w/Sammy.. Hope he gets better and can fill a role for the Caps at some point.

And rich, hit the damn modify button, highlight your midget text and fix the size! Ya dope..  :snicker:

Yea, I've not read this thread much. Just catching up!  :raspberry:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version