Author Topic: TJ Oshie  (Read 2986 times)

Maacoshark

TJ Oshie
« on: Monday January 29, 2018, 08:56:55 PM Eastern »
   Am I the only one that is concerned that we made a bad deal signing Oshie. Not so much the amount but the longevity. I was never really sold on Oshie. He was a very inconsistant player when he was with the Blues. He has been a pleasant surprise here but I do feel his numbers the past 2 seasons have been inflated because he was playing on a line with Ovi and Backstrom.
  My biggest concern is the longevity if the contract. 8 years is a long deal for a player in his 30s. Fans complain that our core players ( Ovi and Backstrom) are too old. Well Oshie is in the same age group. A year older that Backstrom, a year younger than Ovi. The way he is playing this year has me concerned. Hopefully he can turn it around.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
Re: TJ Oshie
« Reply #1 on: Monday January 29, 2018, 09:49:49 PM Eastern »
Agree completely.

8yrs on a player om a player his 30s is all but nuts. . . or just a GM getting more press from his first big trade 

Offline IDontGiveaChuk

• Poop
« Reply #2 on: Monday January 29, 2018, 11:06:26 PM Eastern »
His best years could be behind him, like nick and ovi.

Offline Surreylily

• I can start fire with two hard drives
  • Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #3 on: Monday January 29, 2018, 11:41:46 PM Eastern »
Not sure I recall anyone here - or even in our previous life - complain about Ovi or Backus being past it.  Getting towards the end of his prime, regarding Ovi, but absolutely nothing about Backy.  ???   And Ovi is proving the naysayers wrong!

I am also concerned about the way Oshie has performed lately, but I rather suspect it has more to do with his last concussion than his age, or anything else.

Every player goes through a slump.  I'm just hoping this is his and he'll bounce back soon enough.
I really like him and I think Oshie is a genuinely good guy, so I hope he sorts whatever is ailing him.  It would b nice to know what the problem actually is, but I don't think anyone, including him, really knows.
I am

Online richkrt99

• Oh, I'm the Hillbilly alrighty!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday January 30, 2018, 06:35:02 PM Eastern »
I think Oshie is suffering from some injury and a bad year.  Even if his numbers slump, he always brings the effort.  He hustles, he chases, he hits.  (and on a side note - He does fall down a lot for an NHL caliber player).  He brings one thing MOST of this team does not....and that is 100% effort.  He can be streaky and inconsistent scoring at times, but the effort is always there.  I really think (hope) it is a nagging injury and that he will return to better form soon. 
I agree ANYONE is better when playing on a line with Ovi and Backy, but I think Oshie is better than his current level of play.
Yes his contract was too long, but he also left money on the table.  The last three years of it may be painful when we get there, but honestly we could have paid all that out to him on a five year deal....would that make you feel better about the contract?

Go Caps

FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Offline 4 Caps

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday January 30, 2018, 09:02:14 PM Eastern »
I agree that Oshie hasn’t looked like himself since returning from his concussion.  Even in practice he doesn’t look right.  He just seems to be a little off in his timing.  Hopefully he will get back to where he was.  We really need him to start scoring.  As for his contract the reason it is 8 years is that he agreed to take less money per year for a long term deal.  That was the only way we could sign him.  I am not going to worry about what the effect is 7 years from now, I am just happy we have him now. 

Offline 4 Caps

« Reply #6 on: Thursday February 01, 2018, 06:55:16 PM Eastern »
It was great to see Oshie score against the Flyers.  Hopefully, that will get him going. Maybe he was just pressing and gripping his stick too tightly and now he can relax and play with confidence.  We need both Oshie and Burakovsky to start scoring on a regular basis especially at even strength.