Author Topic: Transactions/Trade Deadline/Rumors  (Read 28247 times)

Offline Pavel095

Re: Trade Deadline- rumors
« Reply #80 on: Monday February 24, 2020, 05:57:16 AM Eastern »
Question to Kuzy: What do you think about Kovi in Caps?
“Kovi is a legend, he will bring a lot of success to our team!”

Offline zerofox

• Advanced Member
« Reply #81 on: Monday February 24, 2020, 07:49:21 AM Eastern »
I'm happy about the Kovalchuk trade because it is very low risk but potentially good reward, even though I'm a bit skeptical that an aging "skill" guy makes us a better playoff team as opposed to someone who brings good two-way play, some size and physicality, etc.

However, this trade doesn't really solve our biggest deficiency, which is defense. I'm hoping we make another move to shore up our defense further. Dillon seems like he'll make a good impact but one guy isn't enough.

Offline zerofox

• Advanced Member
« Reply #82 on: Monday February 24, 2020, 07:53:55 AM Eastern »
All i can say is that Kovalchuk is the second talented player in Russian hockey’s generation after Ovi!
Moreover, he is still in phenomenal  shape for his age and hungry for winning  a Stanley Cup, he could easily have right now 600 goals in NHL if he didn’t go to KHL..
Lastly, a friend of mine from Montreal was also skeptical about Kovi once they acquired him, but after a while he was absolutely love him!
Therefore, I think Kovi will  be great addition to our offensive line and will hugely  boost morale  to our  Russian team players ! ;)

I hope Kovalchuk has the impact you say, but if playing with the best goal scorer in the history of the NHL as your Captain isn't motivation/morale boosting enough, I don't think adding Kovy will help lol.

Online richkrt99

• Oh, I'm the Hillbilly alrighty!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #83 on: Monday February 24, 2020, 09:25:38 AM Eastern »
Wow, a bit surprised at this.  Bit of a risk, but could pay off.  Sucks to give up draft picks for a rental, but has to be done if you want to improve your team and you have no cap space.
Curious as to where he'll play.

I don't see him on the third line...WTF good would that do?  I mean Eller and Hags have both picked it up lately, but I see them more of a shut down type line than a scoring line and that AINT Kovi.
I think Eller is actually having a good year.  He does so much for this team and people on these boards mostly don't like him.  He handles pretty much the same load as Backy, just not as talented.  And, I'll admit he takes some dumb stick penalties on occasion.  I think he has more than outplayed his salary though.  He hustles, he forechecks, he mucks, and on occasion makes some decent O moves.
Hags I think is our best PK guy and we sorely needed that this year.  Panik has been the weak link on that line, but I am not as frustrating with that line as most, as I believe I have a realistic expectation about what that line is.

Maybe they put the Russian Trio together - Kuzy/Ovi/Kovi.  M-A-Y-B-E that line would actually score more goals than it allowed, but that would be pretty scary to watch (defensively speaking)
Move Willy to line 2 and put Vranna on the third line and Panik to the fourth and sit Leipsic?  Kind of a waste of race horse Vranna.
Pretty sure I'd rather keep Willy on Ovi's line - especially with Kuzy at C.  Someone has to be responsible on that line.

Or maybe move Backy up to 1c with Willy and Ovi and use Kuzy/Kovy/Oshie
Or Backy/Ovi/Oshie and Willy/Kuzy/Kovi

Curious to see how they manage it.  I know Kovi is older, but probably a waste of talent anywhere not on the top two lines.

Go Caps

FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Offline Pavel095

« Reply #84 on: Monday February 24, 2020, 09:56:56 AM Eastern »

I hope Kovalchuk has the impact you say, but if playing with the best goal scorer in the history of the NHL as your Captain isn't motivation/morale boosting enough, I don't think adding Kovy will help lol.

Exactly, thus we shall see all together what is Kovi capable for playing alongside with best goal scorer in league history!

Offline Pavel095

« Reply #85 on: Monday February 24, 2020, 09:59:14 AM Eastern »
Wow, a bit surprised at this.  Bit of a risk, but could pay off.  Sucks to give up draft picks for a rental, but has to be done if you want to improve your team and you have no cap space.
Curious as to where he'll play.

I don't see him on the third line...WTF good would that do?  I mean Eller and Hags have both picked it up lately, but I see them more of a shut down type line than a scoring line and that AINT Kovi.
I think Eller is actually having a good year.  He does so much for this team and people on these boards mostly don't like him.  He handles pretty much the same load as Backy, just not as talented.  And, I'll admit he takes some dumb stick penalties on occasion.  I think he has more than outplayed his salary though.  He hustles, he forechecks, he mucks, and on occasion makes some decent O moves.
Hags I think is our best PK guy and we sorely needed that this year.  Panik has been the weak link on that line, but I am not as frustrating with that line as most, as I believe I have a realistic expectation about what that line is.

Maybe they put the Russian Trio together - Kuzy/Ovi/Kovi.  M-A-Y-B-E that line would actually score more goals than it allowed, but that would be pretty scary to watch (defensively speaking)
Move Willy to line 2 and put Vranna on the third line and Panik to the fourth and sit Leipsic?  Kind of a waste of race horse Vranna.
Pretty sure I'd rather keep Willy on Ovi's line - especially with Kuzy at C.  Someone has to be responsible on that line.

Or maybe move Backy up to 1c with Willy and Ovi and use Kuzy/Kovy/Oshie
Or Backy/Ovi/Oshie and Willy/Kuzy/Kovi

Curious to see how they manage it.  I know Kovi is older, but probably a waste of talent anywhere not on the top two lines.

Go Caps

I would say better to have a headache how  to put together all these folks in one line rather than nothing;)

Online richkrt99

• Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #86 on: Monday February 24, 2020, 10:01:33 AM Eastern »

I would say better to have a headache how  to put together all these folks in one line rather than nothing;)

A real shocker coming from a guy named Pavel  :snicker:
FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Offline Pavel095

« Reply #87 on: Monday February 24, 2020, 10:04:58 AM Eastern »

A real shocker coming from a guy named Pavel  :snicker:

I have big hopes for him :snicker:

Offline apace41

• Hockey Deity
« Reply #88 on: Monday February 24, 2020, 11:35:47 AM Eastern »

I can't see him anywhere BUT the third line.  Who in the top 6 is coming out?  Wilson with 20 goals and making sure Ovi doesn't have to do all the 1st line hitting?  Vrana?  He's not cut out for the third line so why move him?  This has to be with an eye to get some third line production because Panik has been a major disappointment.  Yes, he plays good defense and positional hockey, but 15 points at this point is not why he was acquired.

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #89 on: Monday February 24, 2020, 12:22:20 PM Eastern »

ON the surface, I hate it.  Slow guy that I think the Habs signed for nothing, now they get a third round pick from us?  We looked at him before he signed with Montreal, so now we blow a third rounder when we could have had him for free?  Now, he works out and get's Ovie and Kuzy fired up again....

Also, Tampa outsmarted us on Bogosian.  He's a right hanged Dman we could have used and wouldn't have had to sacrifice a draft pick.

Finally, I hate using these draft picks.  We are an aging team that needs youth and speed and we are headed for some lousy years if we can't bring up prospects.  I know, I know, the window is closing, but I'm not willing to go through a 4 to 5 year rebuild.

canadiancapman

« Reply #90 on: Monday February 24, 2020, 12:44:22 PM Eastern »
ON the surface, I hate it.  Slow guy that I think the Habs signed for nothing, now they get a third round pick from us?  We looked at him before he signed with Montreal, so now we blow a third rounder when we could have had him for free?  Now, he works out and get's Ovie and Kuzy fired up again....

Also, Tampa outsmarted us on Bogosian.  He's a right hanged Dman we could have used and wouldn't have had to sacrifice a draft pick.

Finally, I hate using these draft picks.  We are an aging team that needs youth and speed and we are headed for some lousy years if we can't bring up prospects.  I know, I know, the window is closing, but I'm not willing to go through a 4 to 5 year rebuild.

Montreal retained 50% of his salary, we saved there and probably couldn't have got Dillon paying the whole amount. He played well in montreal which is good to see.

Draft picks are the price you pay to get guys. We didn't give up a first. We've had a history of good drafting. Didn't give up a 1st round pick. I'd like to know any other team that's drafted as well as we have in the 1st round the past 10 years, usually a late pick and we still get a great player. Wilson 14th, Forsberg 11th, kuznetsov 25th, Carlson mid 20's, johannson mid 20's, samsonov mid 20's. Don't worry too much about us having limited picks. We've got McMicheal coming who will be good. I've seen him play in London 3 times this year.

canadiancapman

« Reply #91 on: Monday February 24, 2020, 12:48:13 PM Eastern »
Vrana late 1st rd as well.

Offline Pavel095

« Reply #92 on: Monday February 24, 2020, 12:58:22 PM Eastern »
How about Marleau at the age of 40 to Shittsburg?!  :snicker:

Offline 4 Caps

« Reply #93 on: Monday February 24, 2020, 01:02:04 PM Eastern »
Vrana late 1st rd as well.

Actually mid 1st rd, 13th overall. 

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #94 on: Monday February 24, 2020, 01:08:23 PM Eastern »

I've changed my mind.  Look at the picture of Kovulchuk and his wife!    :clap:

Offline Pavel095

« Reply #95 on: Monday February 24, 2020, 01:23:39 PM Eastern »

Oh man, they are really beautiful couple! :uh-huh:

KollieOlizig

« Reply #96 on: Monday February 24, 2020, 01:41:37 PM Eastern »
    All I'm going to say right now about this trade is that I don't like it.

Offline apace41

• Hockey Deity
« Reply #97 on: Monday February 24, 2020, 02:41:12 PM Eastern »

WOW!

Online richkrt99

• Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #98 on: Monday February 24, 2020, 02:57:03 PM Eastern »

Well if you gonna brag on it, you could at least post it.

FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Online richkrt99

• Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #99 on: Monday February 24, 2020, 03:04:22 PM Eastern »
FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK