Author Topic: G49 Capitals @ Islanders 1:00pm Sat Jan 18, 2020 NBCSWA, ESPN+, MSG+  (Read 18696 times)

KollieOlizig

Re: G49 Capitals @ Islanders 1:00pm Sat Jan 18, 2020 NBCSWA, ESPN+, MSG+
« Reply #140 on: Sunday January 19, 2020, 12:07:03 PM Eastern »

No...he's definitely a threat to drive that coffin nail.  But he's like a minus 13.  The worst +/- on the team, which is hard when you consider how many points he is on for.

So then.... not sure WHO would be a worse option statistically speaking  (maybe....Johnny Q Norris  :snicker: [size=78%])[/size]
       Alot of the minus 13 is empty net goals against and shorthanded goals against. Have to remember that every time we give up an empty net goal all of our 6 on 5 guys get a minus. That would include guys like Backstrom, Kuzy, Carlson and Oshie as well.

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #141 on: Sunday January 19, 2020, 02:44:07 PM Eastern »
I am not saying I necessarily believe this, but let me throw it out there.
Maybe the Capitals know they cannot afford to go full steam all the time or they will run out of it come the playoffs. Especially with plenty older guys leading the team.  As you pointed out Rush, the Caps are a winning team and sit at the top of the NHL standings. It's enough at this point to put us in a most favorable position heading into the post season.
We are in great shape. We are healthy. And we have the firepower to SLAM other (good) teams, even from deep deficits almost at will.
Hell, our Vezina and Cup winning goalie is in a slump and we have a record breaking young fresh backup to fill in.

I would not trade this position with any other team in the NHL right now.As Caps fans we might be a tad spoiled.    :uh-huh:

I don't understand why the Caps never "rest" players, especially down the stretch.  I know every game counts and home ice is important, but pick a guy every now and then and give him a rest - especially the older guys.  Even the younger guys that play a hard game, like Wilson, could definitely benefit from sitting out a game in late February.  Hockey is the toughest game to play and I am amazed that these guys can play 82 games a year.

The other reason to rest a few guys is to get some new guys into the mix and keep them fresh and ready in case we need them down the road.  I think its been a shame that Boyd is a healthy scratch every night when the argument could be made that he should be starting anyway.  Why not give Oshie a night off - or Panick, or Dowd, etc...?

Offline richkrt99

• Oh, I'm the Hillbilly alrighty!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #142 on: Sunday January 19, 2020, 04:24:03 PM Eastern »
       Alot of the minus 13 is empty net goals against and shorthanded goals against. Have to remember that every time we give up an empty net goal all of our 6 on 5 guys get a minus. That would include guys like Backstrom, Kuzy, Carlson and Oshie as well.
I know the +- is flawed but the simple fact that guys like Ovi and Carlson ARE on the ice and lose control of the puck and give up an ENG (part of there - rating) kind of argues my point....that you don't want high risk goal scoring guys on the ice when you are UP by one cause these are the guys at risk to cough it up and give up a goal. What you need is strong stable guys that will prevent the other team from scoring opportunities
I mean I concede the same guys are the most likely to score for you, but with a lead you don't need more scoring, you need to prevent the opposition from scoring

I was shocked to see Ovi was the ice time leader for this game with 23+'minutes. That's a lot of minutes fir him. Some of that was 6+ in PP time but some Whats double shifting in the third period.
I mean play the hot hand and when Ovi's on he is dangerous so good on him. He gets some time to recover now so okay
I'd say whatever funk or nagging issue Ovi was demonstrating last weeks is gone.

Go Ovi

Go Sammy

Go Caps
FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #143 on: Monday January 20, 2020, 11:59:16 PM Eastern »
I am not saying I necessarily believe this, but let me throw it out there.
Maybe the Capitals know they cannot afford to go full steam all the time or they will run out of it come the playoffs. Especially with plenty older guys leading the team.  As you pointed out Rush, the Caps are a winning team and sit at the top of the NHL standings. It's enough at this point to put us in a most favorable position heading into the post season.
We are in great shape. We are healthy. And we have the firepower to SLAM other (good) teams, even from deep deficits almost at will.
Hell, our Vezina and Cup winning goalie is in a slump and we have a record breaking young fresh backup to fill in.

I would not trade this position with any other team in the NHL right now.As Caps fans we might be a tad spoiled.    :uh-huh:

Good point AJ! We are a tad spoiled, and YES, if we are completely honest,  we wouldn’t trade our team for the world!👍

I’ve actually thought just like you did that maybe they have these little dips in mid season so that they don’t get to cocky, and can have a reason to “ramp up”, just before playoffs.

That was one of the explanations I thought about, to explain this mysterious phenomenon that happens every year, with these low energy periods!

The only thing is, they’ve had these low energy things before, then, Sort of ramped up to the playoffs,  and bagged out. So like I said it’s still a mystery. But hell, they’re winners, so it’s hard to complain!!👍

Rush 
Always hopeful, yet discontent -
He knows CHANGES aren’t permanent -
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”