Author Topic: G33 Bruins @ Capitals 7:00pm Wed Dec 11, 2019 NBCSN, TVAS  (Read 10599 times)

Offline BarfingMonkey

• MTFBWY
Re: G33 Bruins @ Capitals 7:00pm Wed Dec 11, 2019 NBCSN, TVAS
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday December 11, 2019, 11:14:42 PM Eastern »
That 2nd Oshie goal was awesome, I really do like Oshie.

Offline BarfingMonkey

• MTFBWY
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday December 11, 2019, 11:16:50 PM Eastern »
T-Dub's fight with Chara, and the stick to the face(probably a scar), gotta give props to T-Dub!

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #62 on: Thursday December 12, 2019, 08:55:26 AM Eastern »
Solid game last night against a very talented Boston team!

I thought JOHN Carlson had one of his best games of the year! Not just the GWG, which was a VERY accurate, and well placed, high velocity slapper, that Halak had NO CHANCE of stopping, but he broke up two, potentially lethal, 2 on 1’s, on defense!!
Carlson places himself in great position, and times his poke check perfectly, especially on the 2nd one, and broke it up, single-handedly!! (I’m starting to suspect him, or his wife, reads our forum from time to time!) LOL🤣

Caps played better than the final score would indicate. Also some markedly improved team chemistry, seems to be returning, now that everybody’s basically back, and have obviously moved on from the loss to CBJ!

Finally, Siegenthaler, again, using more physicality, and becoming reliably more responsible with the puck!!

Rush
Always hopeful, yet discontent -
He knows CHANGES aren’t permanent -
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #63 on: Thursday December 12, 2019, 10:45:00 AM Eastern »

Rush - I agree, Carlson had one of his best games - even included a shoulder check, and fed into the announcers handing him the Norris and maybe the MVP!

I absolutely loved watching that game and thought we played fantastic with a sky-high energy level. Ironically, Ovi had an off night and missed on at least two chances that he normally buries.

If we end up playing them in the playoffs, that game will have a big impact on their confidence.  We  just own the Bruins for some reason.

Offline waynerivers

« Reply #64 on: Thursday December 12, 2019, 11:15:52 AM Eastern »
Good effort after a listless first period.  Oshie, Carlson and Orlov had particularly good games.  Holtby was solid.  We need to insert Boyd onto the 3rd line and bench Panik.  I don't care what he signed or how much he makes.  He's useless.  Heck, I thought Malenstyn looked pretty good when he was in there.  The 3rd line is basically neutered with Panik and Hagelin.  8 points in 45 combined games for your third line wingers is just dreadful.

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #65 on: Thursday December 12, 2019, 11:35:22 AM Eastern »
What makes the Caps' work thus far all the more impressive is that a lot of the heaviest lifting in the schedule is either past them or will be shortly.  Both West Coast road trips are out of the way.  By Christmas the Caps will have finished play with Boston and Tampa, the top two teams in the Atlantic.  They have a 3 game trip to Colorado/Arizona/Vegas and a two-gamer to Winnipeg/Minnesota remaining; otherwise the remaining travel is shorter.

Other teams in the division have games in hand on the Caps, but what the Caps have done with their heavy, challenging early schedule is banked a boatload of standings points that can't be taken from them.  The obvious remaining questions are how long they can keep pushing the way they are (JJ Regan talks about an almost inevitable Jan./Feb. lull), and whether they can avoid catastrophic injury, especially injury in the last stages of the regular season.

I realize it doesn't fit with the historical narrative about him, but if John Carlson keeps playing even remotely close to the level at which he has performed thus far this season, he walks away with the Norris Trophy.  Right now, no one else is even in the same rink with him.

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
« Reply #66 on: Thursday December 12, 2019, 12:48:12 PM Eastern »

The obvious remaining questions are how long they can keep pushing the way they are (JJ Regan talks about an almost inevitable Jan./Feb. lull), and whether they can avoid catastrophic injury, especially injury in the last stages of the regular season.

As I said in earlier post, the Caps don't seem to be wasting much energy on the ice. Their motions are mostly smooth and fluid and they cover each other so well that you don't have guys scrambling as much. For instance, when they cycle the puck it appears effortless and it leaves the opponent's scrambling and their heads spinning. It's like bees swarming in to exactly where they need to be at the precise moment.  We've never seen anything like it.  Add to this the fact that the 3rd and 4th lines are getting more TOI and giving the top lines a rest then I don't see any reason they can't keep up the pace.

They've had a grueling schedule thus far and consistently bring it, even in games we expected might be challenging due to fatigue.

The one thing I worry about is as you mentioned, injury.  I was a bit worried that one of Chara's tree limbs might clobber Willy last night.  Willy's reach just wasn't there.

What I see is one very amazing solid team.
Be careful what you ask for America; you just might get it.

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #67 on: Thursday December 12, 2019, 12:49:33 PM Eastern »
Good effort after a listless first period.  Oshie, Carlson and Orlov had particularly good games.  Holtby was solid.  We need to insert Boyd onto the 3rd line and bench Panik.  I don't care what he signed or how much he makes.  He's useless.  Heck, I thought Malenstyn looked pretty good when he was in there.  The 3rd line is basically neutered with Panik and Hagelin.  8 points in 45 combined games for your third line wingers is just dreadful.

Yes, I agree about Panik. I found myself watching him more last night and was really disappointed. I was hoping he would  break out and really contribute but I think Boyd is the better choice.  I bet they give him another few games, but I don't think they feel they have to play him over the long term.

Online richkrt99

• Oh, I'm the Hillbilly alrighty!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #68 on: Thursday December 12, 2019, 06:53:14 PM Eastern »
Caps looked pretty damn good all around.  Just based on overall effort and reasonable scoring chances I thought the score was closer than it should have been with the Caps pretty much controlling the flow.  Could/should have been at least 2-0 after the first 5-10 minutes easy.
Agree with AJ that the Caps when playing well are swarming teams.  They just totally control the flow and the opponents are just sort of caught and can't keep up.
Johhny Q Norris had a pretty damn decent game.  Looked good several times.  Although I did see him get caught a couple times and saved himself by his best defensive tool....the poke check.  I'm not ragging on him....but he was lucky to just barely make a couple key plays that turned out for the good.  He did have a couple nice offensive step ups one of them the game winner.  (He did also totally miss the net several times on the pp but let's not go there)
Oshie...damn dude has some serious hands...(why is 77 better than 69?....cause you get ate more) :uh-huh:

Got to give the players and the coaches credit.  They are definitely the best team in hockey right now.  When they play like they played last night (bad bounces and missed open nets aside) they will have few teams that can hang with them.  I don't think I expected them to do this well this season.  We had some big questions on D which I think were addressed well with the combination of Gudas, Ziggs, and some of the more defensive minded forwards. (and the shaving of Nisky's contract)
The fourth line is playing much better than expected.  Getting production and some important ice time.  Every minute they are on the ice is a plus for us later.  Plus, they are fun to watch.  Leipsic must be a real lunatic.  He's got good wheels and if he were a little bigger, he'd be incredible.  He reminds me a little of Dino Ciccarelli (although not scoring touch).
Third line definitely struggling to produce, but hard to be fair judge of that with the injuries and lack of playing time.  I'm not expecting real big numbers from them and lets face it, Hags and Panik were picked up to fill the disastrous PK void we had last year.  Certainly we'd like and expect more offensive production from them than we've gotten thus far, but preventing the opponent from scoring is important as well.

I do think its inevitable we are in a for a bad stretch, but like others have said....nice to have the points in the bank to rely on.

Nice to have a team fun to watch and one I enjoy the level of play  (nice to be winning too)

Go CAPS

FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #69 on: Thursday December 12, 2019, 11:15:14 PM Eastern »

Wow! 8 points in 45 games!  That’s good info Wayne. Thanks!
 Didn’t realize the production was that low for those third line guys.

I, like Beags, have started to zero in on Panik a bit, when he’s on the ice. To be honest, he’s not exactly harmful, in an obvious way, that would stick out, but he’s also not calling attention to himself for any substantive contributions, that may sway the coaches to keep him around!
 That is NOT a good position to be in, with this highly productive and deeply talented team!  The performance bar is high on the Capitals!

I feel a little better about Hagelin.  Although no doubt, his production numbers are down, he has had his fair share of post hits, and a bit of bad puck luck.  It’s no secret that he’s never had a laser accurate shot, but because of his speed and high energy, i’m a little more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, that the upside of his production, may be just around the corner, and in time for the second half of the season!

Additionally, both Haglin and Eller, are excellent at keeping the puck alive when we are in the opponents zone, increasing zone time and scoring chances!  They really do need to start putting that puck in the back of the net!
 I think Boyd would be the hands-down better choice over Panik, and that may be coming soon!

Has anyone else noticed, the increased player experimentation happening on PK? Rierden, with our PK performing at a high-level, seems to be afforded the luxury of letting a few more fellas “audition“ in the PK arena!
 My feeling is that the coach has six or seven VERY SOLID, hi smarts, hustlers, that he can count on as “core“ members of the PK! (Guys like Dowd, Eller, Hathaway, Hagelin, Gudas, Wilson, etc., give Rierden more fresh options as guys get tired, without sacrificing the overall PK effectiveness!
 Considering we commit more than our fair share of dumb penalties, it helps lessen the sting with that good strong PK !

Let’s not forget Rierden, in the pre season, ( and having lower PK numbers in his first year as head coach), saying that, a 3rd or 4th line skater, having strong PK skills, will be given a much higher consideration, as to who will start, and who will go to HERSHEY!!
He put the writing on the wall early! LOL!

Rush

Always hopeful, yet discontent -
He knows CHANGES aren’t permanent -
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”