Author Topic: Fight Instigation: Fight Highlights  (Read 129796 times)

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
Re: Fight Instigation: Fight Highlights
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday June 27, 2018, 05:28:59 PM Eastern »
    I think Probert may have been the toughest guy Ive ever seen. I dont recall him losing ba fight. A few draws maybe.
Probie is just called “God” but many of us  :angel:

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday June 27, 2018, 05:30:45 PM Eastern »
Heres a classi Ozzie:

Cummings v Chase
Cheveldae v Joesph

Probie vs Everybody Else

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #82 on: Friday July 20, 2018, 06:44:50 PM Eastern »

Maacoshark

« Reply #83 on: Monday August 13, 2018, 10:19:31 PM Eastern »
    Here is an oldie. Wayne Cashman and Jim Schoenfield. They were a couple of lunatics. I think DC will like this one.

And here is Cashman in a great bout with Keith Magnuson. The good old days.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday August 14, 2018, 12:07:36 PM Eastern »
    Here is an oldie. Wayne Cashman and Jim Schoenfield. They were a couple of lunatics. I think DC will like this one.

And here is Cashman in a great bout with Keith Magnuson. The good old days.

AWESOME!

I’ve seen the first one before but not the second, . . .GREAT bouts the both of em!

Maacoshark

« Reply #85 on: Tuesday August 14, 2018, 08:38:50 PM Eastern »
Once in awhile I will spend 2 or 3 hours just watching hockey fights. Watched a bunch last night. Was watching guys like Clark Gillies, Wayne Cashman, Terry O'Reilly, Keith Magnuson, Behn Wilson, Dave Schultz, Tiger Williams, Stan Jonathon, Bob Probert, Mark Tinordi, Dave Manson, Tony Twist, Dave Brown and a bunch if other tough guys. I even watched a Bobby Orr fight and he held his own. Some of those fights were long fights. Now the officials jump in so quickly.
     DC just wondering who your favorite fighter was. I assume Probert. I have to admit I didnt like him but I do think he was the best fighter the NHL has ever seen. I rewatched quite a few Probert fights lastnight. He won most of them, maybe a couple of draws but he did get knocked down by Todd Ewen.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday August 15, 2018, 12:54:43 PM Eastern »
Once in awhile I will spend 2 or 3 hours just watching hockey fights. Watched a bunch last night. Was watching guys like Clark Gillies, Wayne Cashman, Terry O'Reilly, Keith Magnuson, Behn Wilson, Dave Schultz, Tiger Williams, Stan Jonathon, Bob Probert, Mark Tinordi, Dave Manson, Tony Twist, Dave Brown and a bunch if other tough guys. I even watched a Bobby Orr fight and he held his own. Some of those fights were long fights. Now the officials jump in so quickly.
     DC just wondering who your favorite fighter was. I assume Probert. I have to admit I didnt like him but I do think he was the best fighter the NHL has ever seen. I rewatched quite a few Probert fights lastnight. He won most of them, maybe a couple of draws but he did get knocked down by Todd Ewen.
You’re god damn right!! Along with The Captain they where my favorite players. Yeah Ewen knocked him down once, but Probie didn’t forget it and in the fights after Ewen basically held just on.

The stories of the shit he did in the 80s are some of the best sports-parting stories ever.  Hell after wrecking a Harley he told the cop “just charge me with the usual”

The day he died I was in LA, and sat on my hotel balcony watching Probie fights while drinking  a bottle of Old No 7

Maacoshark

« Reply #87 on: Wednesday August 15, 2018, 08:33:28 PM Eastern »
    I'm not sure who my favorite fighter was. I liked Gillies and O'Reilly in the 70s. In the 80s I liked Tinordi and Manson. All of those guys could play hockey too. I was a big fan of Tinordi when he played for the North Stars. He could fight, hit, and was excellent defensively. I remember the Stars killing off a 5 minute major and I think Tinordi was on the ice the entire 5 mins.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #88 on: Friday August 17, 2018, 04:41:42 PM Eastern »
    I'm not sure who my favorite fighter was. I liked Gillies and O'Reilly in the 70s. In the 80s I liked Tinordi and Manson. All of those guys could play hockey too. I was a big fan of Tinordi when he played for the North Stars. He could fight, hit, and was excellent defensively. I remember the Stars killing off a 5 minute major and I think Tinordi was on the ice the entire 5 mins.
I found this little gem of two of my favorites growing up, both of which tread the line of can/like to/want to fight, and can/like/want to score (yes, part of why i like VGK)

As for today’s game, there will always be players that are first and foremost fighters available.  The “Goon” role may not be en-vouge in the NHL right now, but when needed, they’ll be ones out there available.

But the real threat that’s dying out is the player that not only plays an excellent “5tool” all around game, but also just likes to fight and doesn’t mind doing it. 

While Wilson is one of the prototypes of this in today’s game, they seem to be fewer and fewer to come by, which hopefully will change

Anyway Caps vs Wings=boring draw 😁

Maacoshark

« Reply #89 on: Saturday August 18, 2018, 08:10:37 AM Eastern »
I found this little gem of two of my favorites growing up, both of which tread the line of can/like to/want to fight, and can/like/want to score (yes, part of why i like VGK)

As for today’s game, there will always be players that are first and foremost fighters available.  The “Goon” role may not be en-vouge in the NHL right now, but when needed, they’ll be ones out there available.
     At one time a lot of the tough guys were also very good hockey players. And hockey in the 70s and earlier most guys could handle themselves. The only powder puffs I can think of off hand were Gilbert Perrault and Mike Bossy. Maybe Marcel Dionne too. The role of the goon really changed when Gretzky entered the league. Had to protect your soft players.

But the real threat that’s dying out is the player that not only plays an excellent “5tool” all around game, but also just likes to fight and doesn’t mind doing it. 

While Wilson is one of the prototypes of this in today’s game, they seem to be fewer and fewer to come by, which hopefully will change

Anyway Caps vs Wings=boring draw 😁

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday August 21, 2018, 01:00:27 PM Eastern »
Here's an examples of why Probie is the best, why the old Norris division was the greatest, why Mickey Redman is the Ernie Harrell and Vin Scully of hockey, how the game used to be played by men, and how misconducts always where crap calls . . .

Sticktaps to Cochrane stying in it and not dying  . . .

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #91 on: Wednesday August 22, 2018, 10:04:01 AM Eastern »
this great clip came up today, (sometimes I love the ‘Youtube algorithm’)

The best punch is at 4:51, followed by a great shot of The Captain having “another day at the office”, discussing multiple penalties with the ref 🤣

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #92 on: Sunday August 26, 2018, 06:30:03 PM Eastern »
well it’s not a fight, but one of my favorite moments in hockey history came up on my You Tube:

Maacoshark

« Reply #93 on: Sunday August 26, 2018, 07:30:04 PM Eastern »
well it’s not a fight, but one of my favorite moments in hockey history came up on my You Tube:

An excellent defensive play by one of the best. I have nothing but respect for Fedorov. He took pride in playing a complete game. One of the few stars in the league that actually played defense.
    As for the other guy. I was never a fan of Gretzky. Great offensive player, great playmaker and great vision but he didnt play a complete game.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday August 28, 2018, 11:42:38 AM Eastern »
    An excellent defensive play by one of the best. I have nothing but respect for Fedorov. He took pride in playing a complete game. One of the few stars in the league that actually played defense.
    As for the other guy. I was never a fan of Gretzky. Great offensive player, great playmaker and great vision but he didnt play a complete game.
I've said that Fedorov was THE greatest all around player to ever play since 1994.  The only player to score 50 and win a Selke, the oney player to score 100pts and win the Selke twice, tied the record or fastest skater held by Olympic speed skater Mike Gartner, won fastest skater twice, won the hardest shot, as the most career overtime points, and equally impressive:  played EVERY position: C, LW,RW, and D, in any situation. . .

No one in his generation, (even The Captain), particularly Gretzky and definitely Lumpy could come close to that . . . and no-one has  since.

He didnt fight often, but when he did it was impressive for someone who played most of his career in international competition coming into the NHL in late 80s and early 90s

Maacoshark

« Reply #95 on: Tuesday August 28, 2018, 08:11:01 PM Eastern »
   Can't argue with that. In his prime he was the best all round player in the league.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday August 29, 2018, 10:21:50 PM Eastern »
Willie makes upper tier top 4 fighter in tournament
http://www.hockeyfights.com/quickhits/entry/the-hockeyfights.com-current-fighter-champ-bracket-announcement

Although Alex Chaisson made the tournament, albeit the lowest tier,  as well

« Last Edit: Thursday August 30, 2018, 06:45:57 AM Eastern by DC_1908 »

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #97 on: Friday August 31, 2018, 02:29:02 PM Eastern »
This is a GREAT one. . 

Maacoshark

« Reply #98 on: Friday August 31, 2018, 03:07:26 PM Eastern »
This is a GREAT one. . 

Sorry but there is nothing great about this. This is typical Dale Hunter. Downright dirty. This play was even considered dirty in that era when a lot more physical play was allowed. This wasnt a good physical play. Hunter left his feet and launched himself at Gord Murphy getting him with an elbow to the face. Plays like this were very common for Hunter. Pretty much on a nightly basis when he was with the Nordique andthat continued in Washinbgton. Which is why I couldn't stand the guy as a hockey player. Ya he was tough. But he crossed the line way too often. I'm not talking about borderline plays. He was just doiwnright dirty.
    BTW I liked Alan May but it wasnt much of a fight with Mellanby. Got to be honest the best play if the video was the move Khristich made on Gord Murphy.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #99 on: Saturday September 01, 2018, 10:11:38 AM Eastern »
    Sorry but there is nothing great about this. This is typical Dale Hunter. Downright dirty. This play was even considered dirty in that era when a lot more physical play was allowed. This wasnt a good physical play. Hunter left his feet and launched himself at Gord Murphy getting him with an elbow to the face. Plays like this were very common for Hunter. Pretty much on a nightly basis when he was with the Nordique andthat continued in Washinbgton. Which is why I couldn't stand the guy as a hockey player. Ya he was tough. But he crossed the line way too often. I'm not talking about borderline plays. He was just doiwnright dirty.
    BTW I liked Alan May but it wasnt much of a fight with Mellanby. Got to be honest the best play if the video was the move Khristich made on Gord Murphy.
I’ve always said there is a massive difference in those that are violent, intense, fueled with anger and hate, can be out of control, have a flippant regards to rules. and deserve their own listing in the DSMV 5, to the coward cheap-shot artist who only hit when the other players are looking, aggitate, rarely if ever get accept responsibility, and avoid face to face confrontation at all cost

Hunter was cleanly the first type, with trash like Hornquist, Cindy. Lumpy & Kunitz being the second