Author Topic: GDT#R1G6 Capitals @ Hurricanes 7:00pm Mon Apr 22, 2019 NBCSWA, NBCSN, SN, TVAS  (Read 21269 times)

Offline richkrt99

• Oh, I'm the Hillbilly alrighty!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
Re: GDT#R1G6 Capitals @ Hurricanes 7:00pm Mon Apr 22, 2019 NBCSWA, NBCSN, SN, TVAS
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday April 23, 2019, 07:59:54 AM Eastern »
Is there review board or something along the lines of reviewing the performance of referees?

Yes.  You're on it.   :smirk:
FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Offline zerofox

• Advanced Member
Re: GDT#R1G6 Capitals @ Hurricanes 7:00pm Mon Apr 22, 2019 NBCSWA, NBCSN, SN, TVAS
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday April 23, 2019, 08:36:26 AM Eastern »
Stanley Cup repeat is not happening this year guys, take it to the bank. Any games from here on out are just "extra entertainment" above and beyond the regular season.

Definitely, with this kind of refereeing against us it’s not gonna repeat this year!

Refereeing can be part of it, but we won't repeat for a variety of other reasons:

1) Coaching. We have a rookie coach, who only kinda looked like he knew what he was doing and got us 4th in the NHL standings because quite frankly, we had the same Championship caliber team from last year. Our team last year was STRUGGLING under Trotz, to the point where he almost got fired. This year our team did a tiny bit worse, and it seems like from an outsider's perspective that "wow TR did pretty well, 4th in the league!" But no. If TR's best is on par with Trotz's worst, we're screwed.

2) Playoff heroics. Last year we had herculean efforts from the likes of DSP, Eller, Wilson, etc. These guys seemed to surpass their regular season performance by a long shot and really step up for the playoffs. Plus we of course had our top guys continue to be our top guys, with Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, and Oshie all contributing big time.

3) Kuznetsov. This is kind of like Point 2A. Kuzy was a major player last year, almost earning the Conn Smythe on his own by racking up points and goals. This year however, he's pretty much sucked the entire year. Yeah sure there's still some production, but his play has been concerning, as if he's still suffering from a concussion.

4) Injuries. Kempny and Oshie were vital parts of last year's Cup win. We can pray that Jensen steps up, but Oshie will be hard to replace from a production and locker room energy point of view. Look at my point above about how Oshie was a strong contributor in the playoffs. Who will replace him? Probably no one.

5) Fatigue. Not going to pin blame on the guys for this, but last year was a long year. To have performed reasonably well in the regular season after last year's short summer is an accomplishment in itself. At this point I'm sure a lot of the guys are just low on gas.

6) Goaltending. As much as we may love Holtby, he's no longer the Mitch Korn-led Vezina caliber goalie he was before. It's no coincidence that the Islanders who have Trotz are playing strong defense, and their previously no-name goaltenders are now on the map thanks to Korn. The Mitch Korn effect is real guys, and we no longer have it.

7) Competition. Other people may see a wide open playoffs with a lot of top teams being taken out. I see a lot of "lesser" teams who are playing hungry, playing with heart, and playing the right way. CBJ and NYI are not to be fucked with. I'd rather play against a "top team" who is still playing regular season hockey, than play a bottom seed who's playing with fucking hair on their chest and sandpaper on their balls.

Offline Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday April 23, 2019, 08:52:01 AM Eastern »
Lets be honest, the CBJ will pound a hole through the NYI.. Trotz or no Trotz.. As for us, repeating under the very best of circumstances was gonna be a long shot.. Losing Kempny and Oshie just removed more crucial wheels from the train. The problem in all this is still, there's absolutely zero reason the Caps should be in a game 7 vs the fucking Hurricanes.. And I don't give a shit how loud their arena is or how hungry they are. The pedigree that's on the Caps roster, from top to bottom, should of been done in 5 games, 6 max.. So, that's concerning. I hope they slip by so I have a few more reasons to weekday drink this spring, but given our season of inconsistency and history in game 7's, it will take another cup-run like miracle..  :raspberry:

Offline richkrt99

• Oh, I'm the Hillbilly alrighty!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday April 23, 2019, 09:22:04 AM Eastern »
Well that sucked.  I guess I kind of expected it so I'm not furious, just disappointed.  Although I didn't really have high playoff hopes going into this year, I did expect us to beat the Canes.  Same ole' Caps. 
I still think we win game 7, but it's a crap shoot so you never know what kind of bounces you're going to get.  Letting it (and that's exactly what the Caps have done....LET IT) get to a game 7 means anything can happen.
I just haven't felt like the Caps really have it this year.  Last year we overcame things like bad bounces and bad calls. This year we just don't quite have it.  The non-goal was a real nut punch.  I'm not surprised that deflated them.  That looked like an obvious attempt to help the Canes.  The ref on the ice just looked confused and didn't see it go in.  He sure as hell wasn't "in the process of blowing the whistle".  Unfortunately my DVR recorded the NBC broadcast and not the Caps broadcast so I was forced to listen to the NBC morons (all fucking game) and they never even gave an explanation.  Was one given by the Refs?  Even Penis head Mcguire said "Caps gotta challenge that" right after the goal was waved off.  Then after the review and the call stands....blah blah blah.  That was a little gross, but I'm sure the Canes and Pens fans see it differently, so whatever.  Fuck the refs...play like men.  I'd like to know what Ovi said to the refs...he was hot.  Sure hope he brings that heat and drive to game 7....and it rubs of on a few more a lot more of his team mates.
The long and short of it is the Caps just didn't play well enough to win.  They can't play a 40 minute game and expect to win in the playoffs.

I think Ziggy is a vast improvement over Djoos.  He got exposed on one play last night, but that was just a bad bounce really.  He has definitely been more physical and mostly not been a liability out there.  I'll take him over Djoos anyday
Kuzy needs to wake the f up.  Not sure what's in his head, but we NEED him to help this team in the playoffs.  Ovi is a beast but he cannot do it alone.  Kuzy has been the difference in this series.  Especially with Oshie gone now.  Connolly has looked pretty good.  Never expect him to be a beast on defense, but the dude does score.  Nicky has been better then normal playoff Nicky.  Kuzy is what's holding us back.  Need more from him.

The reffing was horrible - non goal, imbellishment, phantom penalty, late box exit, etc.....BUT, only teams that don't play well enough to win end up whining about the officiating.  Play better, work harder, and the officiating won't matter.  Dominate and destroy the other team and there's nothing the bad reffing can do about it.

Sure hope the boys bring it Wednesday night.  It could be fun.  (or it could be typical/history Cap fan nightmare)  "Everybody loves a game 7".  I keep hearing that.  Well, sure, it's exciting, but as a CAP fan, I really would rather wipe up the ice with an inferior team in 5 games and rest for 2.....but I'm a Cap fan so NOOOOOOOO....I'll sweat out every friggin second of every game of every round.

GO CAPS

FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Offline KitFisto

« Reply #124 on: Tuesday April 23, 2019, 10:24:11 AM Eastern »
Winning a cup is hard. Winning back to back is VERY hard. Since 1990 only Detroit and Pittsburgh ( twice) have won it back to back. Did we really expect them to win it again this season? They may still win this series ( not holding my breath, but hope), but the belligerent anger some show is misplaced. It's sports folks. Your team isn't going to win it all most of the time. There are a few select franchises in eack sport who seem to always be in the mix, but overall most teams only win once in a great while.... If at all. Look at CBJ. It took 20 years to win ONE playoff series.

Offline Surreylily

• I can start fire with two hard drives
  • Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #125 on: Tuesday April 23, 2019, 12:08:48 PM Eastern »
Winning a cup is hard. Winning back to back is VERY hard. Since 1990 only Detroit and Pittsburgh ( twice) have won it back to back. Did we really expect them to win it again this season? They may still win this series ( not holding my breath, but hope), but the belligerent anger some show is misplaced. It's sports folks. Your team isn't going to win it all most of the time. There are a few select franchises in eack sport who seem to always be in the mix, but overall most teams only win once in a great while.... If at all. Look at CBJ. It took 20 years to win ONE playoff series.

Maaaaan!  I thought Id deleted that earlier.  I mis-read the post.    ::)
I am

Offline Surreylily

• Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #126 on: Tuesday April 23, 2019, 12:42:02 PM Eastern »
WTF is it with these essays lately?
Start a new thread, maybe?
Go for it.

Sorry, not trying to "boss the boards" or anything, just finding it a little hard going on the GDT;s lately 

You got a point, make a point out of it. 
I am

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #127 on: Tuesday April 23, 2019, 02:02:29 PM Eastern »

I think Ziggy is a vast improvement over Djoos.  He got exposed on one play last night, but that was just a bad bounce really.  He has definitely been more physical and mostly not been a liability out there.  I'll take him over Djoos anyday
Kuzy needs to wake the f up.  Not sure what's in his head, but we NEED him to help this team in the playoffs.  Ovi is a beast but he cannot do it alone.  Kuzy has been the difference in this series.  Especially with Oshie gone now.  Connolly has looked pretty good.  Never expect him to be a beast on defense, but the dude does score.  Nicky has been better then normal playoff Nicky.  Kuzy is what's holding us back.  Need more from him
I think Kuzy needs to grow up.  He’s not a prospect or rookie anymore, yet sub 40% faceoffs, being being a defensive liability, and providing little else other than offense and a stupid goal dance is accepted like he’s a first or even second year player.

To top this off. as you said above, if he isn’t scoring he mentally checks out.  As a top center making over 7mil for umpteen years, this is just unacceptable.

If he was able to do more, (ie PK, shut down other centers, “pick pocket” with the best, fearlessly block shots, consistently win regular and big faceoffs, he’d be a huge asset and crrate scoring chances

Whether this how Reidon wants it, or it’s all Kuzy is willing to do, or both we can’t say.  But we can say is we need another Backstrom, not a 7mil bird dance.

Offline Surreylily

• Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #128 on: Tuesday April 23, 2019, 02:31:38 PM Eastern »
Lets be honest, the CBJ will pound a hole through the NYI.. Trotz or no Trotz.. As for us, repeating under the very best of circumstances was gonna be a long shot.. Losing Kempny and Oshie just removed more crucial wheels from the train. The problem in all this is still, there's absolutely zero reason the Caps should be in a game 7 vs the fucking Hurricanes.. And I don't give a shit how loud their arena is or how hungry they are. The pedigree that's on the Caps roster, from top to bottom, should of been done in 5 games, 6 max.. So, that's concerning. I hope they slip by so I have a few more reasons to weekday drink this spring, but given our season of inconsistency and history in game 7's, it will take another cup-run like miracle..  :raspberry:
i've known you for years now, right?  Since when did yu understand     "paragraph"..... :rofl:
I am

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #129 on: Tuesday April 23, 2019, 02:33:18 PM Eastern »

Refereeing can be part of it, but we won't repeat for a variety of other reasons:

1) Coaching. We have a rookie coach, who only kinda looked like he knew what he was doing and got us 4th in the NHL standings because quite frankly, we had the same Championship caliber team from last year. Our team last year was STRUGGLING under Trotz, to the point where he almost got fired. This year our team did a tiny bit worse, and it seems like from an outsider's perspective that "wow TR did pretty well, 4th in the league!" But no. If TR's best is on par with Trotz's worst, we're screwed.

2) Playoff heroics. Last year we had herculean efforts from the likes of DSP, Eller, Wilson, etc. These guys seemed to surpass their regular season performance by a long shot and really step up for the playoffs. Plus we of course had our top guys continue to be our top guys, with Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, and Oshie all contributing big time.

3) Kuznetsov. This is kind of like Point 2A. Kuzy was a major player last year, almost earning the Conn Smythe on his own by racking up points and goals. This year however, he's pretty much sucked the entire year. Yeah sure there's still some production, but his play has been concerning, as if he's still suffering from a concussion.

4) Injuries. Kempny and Oshie were vital parts of last year's Cup win. We can pray that Jensen steps up, but Oshie will be hard to replace from a production and locker room energy point of view. Look at my point above about how Oshie was a strong contributor in the playoffs. Who will replace him? Probably no one.

5) Fatigue. Not going to pin blame on the guys for this, but last year was a long year. To have performed reasonably well in the regular season after last year's short summer is an accomplishment in itself. At this point I'm sure a lot of the guys are just low on gas.

6) Goaltending. As much as we may love Holtby, he's no longer the Mitch Korn-led Vezina caliber goalie he was before. It's no coincidence that the Islanders who have Trotz are playing strong defense, and their previously no-name goaltenders are now on the map thanks to Korn. The Mitch Korn effect is real guys, and we no longer have it.

7) Competition. Other people may see a wide open playoffs with a lot of top teams being taken out. I see a lot of "lesser" teams who are playing hungry, playing with heart, and playing the right way. CBJ and NYI are not to be fucked with. I'd rather play against a "top team" who is still playing regular season hockey, than play a bottom seed who's playing with fucking hair on their chest and sandpaper on their balls.
1.  Damn Right!!
2.  I’d move it to last as all of them result in heroics rather than heroics in spite of them.
3.  Damn Right!  See my rant above on this
4.  While understandable, nor an excuse.  Canes have been down two of their forwards since game one.  If we can’t make up for a D, and a forward, that’s on GMBetaMales roster and Reidons lineup.
5.   Not an excuse, but. .   When the same players get >15 min TOI all season after winning a Cup, that’s goes back to Reidon and GMBetaMales roster build.
6.   Meh, he hasn’t been his best, but I can’t say he’s lost us any games by himself.  The messes above including Reidond pond hockey system, and GMBetaMales roster, leaves him so stranded he should probably go all Tom Hanks and nane his water-bottle “Wilson”.
7.  I’ve been sayin this since last year if not longer.  First, no one will look past us this year,(there’s no way Hens and TBL didn’t think they’d win that series), Srcomdly, the teams that are tearing up the playoffs are built to do just that:  win 7 game series.  Frankly, we don’t match up well against team like that. . . For example, how would Reirdion deal with CBJs Jenner line, or NYIs Culttrrbuck line?  He’d have a damn stroke in three games!

Offline Surreylily

• Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #130 on: Tuesday April 23, 2019, 02:58:00 PM Eastern »
@Kit.  Our frustration is that we  are more than capable of doing the double.  We can.  We have the talent and ability.  That is nor has ever been the question.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #131 on: Tuesday April 23, 2019, 04:14:52 PM Eastern »
Thing is, you have to build for that.

I’ll be the first to say every Cup the Hens won, particularly in the Cindy era, was in a large part, due to to the five extra players they had:  four refs and The NHL.

I’ll also say, if it wasn’t for (another) strike, The Kings could of Three Peated.  The reason being, they where built to wear down and outlast the enemy.  Yeah, them running into “Cap Hell” would of happend, but they where the undoubted deepest and most conditioned team for that three year stretch  as they where built to win 4 of 7 anytime, without (as Don McLain said) (just) “believing in god and luck”.   The Caps had the proverbial “pink carnation in a pickup truck”, but are lacking the dynasty build.

Offline Mickstix

• Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #132 on: Tuesday April 23, 2019, 05:02:40 PM Eastern »
i've known you for years now, right?  Since when did yu understand     "paragraph"..... :rofl:

Thanks??  :huh: :rofl:   :raspberry:

Offline KitFisto

« Reply #133 on: Tuesday April 23, 2019, 05:27:17 PM Eastern »
WTF is it with these essays lately?
Start a new thread, maybe?
Go for it.

Sorry, not trying to "boss the boards" or anything, just finding it a little hard going on the GDT;s lately 

You got a point, make a point out of it.

Are you referring to me? I wasn't aware that a short paragraph qualified as an essay that made it hard for you to come into the thread.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #134 on: Tuesday April 23, 2019, 05:48:52 PM Eastern »

Are you referring to me? I wasn't aware that a short paragraph qualified as an essay that made it hard for you to come into the thread.
No worries man. . . We got this

Offline Mickstix

• Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #135 on: Tuesday April 23, 2019, 05:55:50 PM Eastern »
She's referring to all YOU dummies..  :uh-huh:   Can't be talkin about me... No way!!  :wackysmile: :snicker:

Offline BarfingMonkey

• MTFBWY
« Reply #136 on: Tuesday April 23, 2019, 08:45:47 PM Eastern »
Hi

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #137 on: Wednesday April 24, 2019, 12:39:52 AM Eastern »
Refs didn't help.. Shouldn't matter honestly. We played about 35 minutes of playoff hockey tonight. Just isn't good enough.

Hey Mick!
THANK YOU SIR!!
“Refs didn’t help..Shouldn’t matter honestly.”

Best, and most together, general attitude on refs I’ve seen, IMHO!!

Acknowledges that refs calls can certainly affect a games outcome!! But points out also that, lesser quality play, almost never makes up for bad ref calls, that can potentially change a games outcome!!

It also implies that good, solid, 60 minute effort, games, produce mostly GOOD outcomes, while rendering most bad ref calls as just another challenge in the game that was OVERCOME!!

Good teams GENERALLY overcome bad calls! Teams that play with only half of a foot on the gas pedal, GENERALLY, allow the “bad refs” issue to float straight to the top of their “why” list!!

Now, before some folks here, (who tend to throw the bad referee thing out there more often), get all uptight with me....well, first off, the crux of my post is not to attack your opinion. Not my intent! There are A LOT of bad calls to choose to talk about, in a lot of games! So, if your focus is there, great!! It’s tomayto/tomahto to me! But I will ask you to consider something in advance:

Show me a game where the Caps put out a game 5 type, super effort, through all 3 periods, where we get rewarded for our efforts, with a kick ass win, even when refs may make some bad calls against us!!

Now I ask you, what comments, afterward, are the most prevalent, and what is remembered MOSTLY, about a game like that!!.....Joy, and positive fan praise, for our boys, or angry ref bashing??.......
EXACTLY!!!

Ok, now back to main purpose of post!!
THANKS MICSTIX!!!👍 (keeping it real, even when less than sober)!!!😂🤣😂

Rush

Always hopeful, yet discontent -
He knows CHANGES aren’t permanent -
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”