Author Topic: Site updated for better viewing on smaller screens like phones, tablets.  (Read 5292 times)

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
Site updated for better viewing on smaller screens like phones, tablets.
« on: Thursday February 07, 2019, 02:01:57 PM Eastern »
Today I made some modifications to the default theme so that it displays better on mobile devices.

Those of you that use your phones and tablets with this forum please provide feedback on how you like it. it should appear quite differently than it did yesterday.

Leave your comments both good and bad here.

Note: We can have the site display either the way it was prior to today or the way it is now. I don't have time to be rewriting a bunch of code to fix little things, especially since there is finally going to be a major upgrade to the forum software sometime this year and any work I do will all have to be rewritten. When it comes out this will be the first upgrade to the forum software in 4-5 years and should see some improvements in many areas.

Thanks
AJ
Be careful what you ask for America; you just might get it.

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
Re: Site updated for better viewing on smaller screens like phones, tablets.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday February 07, 2019, 03:36:17 PM Eastern »
If the font sizes are too large I can maybe tweak them down a bit, but this will affect all devices, including desktop and laptop computers. I made the font sizes in today's GDT a little smaller as I had made them a bit  larger in the past to accommodate the smaller screens. This new addition will automatically enlarge the fonts based on your screen size.

Getting everyone's feedback here will help me to tweak it a little.

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #2 on: Saturday February 09, 2019, 11:03:56 PM Eastern »
Hey AJ.
I use my iPhone 6 95% of the time on the forum. Font size was never a problem for me, (and I’m 60), LOL, but the larger font looks a bit big to me. The thing I MISS now is the date and time info, for the RECENT posts, on the home page. I use that info to be able to navigate what I’ve missed on the forum, at a quick glance. That is, it will say “Today”, or “Yesterday”, and have a time associated with it. That is an important feature for me.

I hope I’ve said everything right, technically speaking, so that it makes sense to you.
What do you think?

Rush
Always hopeful, yet discontent -
He knows CHANGES aren’t permanent -
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #3 on: Monday February 11, 2019, 11:28:08 PM Eastern »
Just checking progress on that date column with the new design.
Also the font size is too large. PC’s and laptops probably no issue, but for iPhone it is way too much eye exercise to read.
Notice, so far that any of those who “had an isssue” with font size, singularly referring to the text, (not that crazy 78% thing, that’s different), have not bothered too respond.
Consider me SOLIDLY, in the “return it back to what it was”, crowd, AJ!
Evidence for changing it, IMO, is a little flimsy, my friend, otherwise, where are the “thank yous”, from the posters who wanted it changed????

Rush

BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday February 12, 2019, 04:31:29 PM Eastern »
Just checking progress on that date column with the new design.
Also the font size is too large. PC’s and laptops probably no issue, but for iPhone it is way too much eye exercise to read.
Notice, so far that any of those who “had an isssue” with font size, singularly referring to the text, (not that crazy 78% thing, that’s different), have not bothered too respond.
Consider me SOLIDLY, in the “return it back to what it was”, crowd, AJ!
Evidence for changing it, IMO, is a little flimsy, my friend, otherwise, where are the “thank yous”, from the posters who wanted it changed? ???

Rush

I have returned the site to the way it was. I will take a look and see if I can write a better responsive theme once the new version of SMF Forum comes out.

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday February 12, 2019, 11:59:16 PM Eastern »
Thanks AJ! 👍
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”