Author Topic: GDT#51 Flames @ Capitals 7:00pm Fri Feb 1, 2019 NBCSWA, ESPN+, SNW  (Read 13854 times)

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
Re: GDT#51 Flames @ Capitals 7:00pm Fri Feb 1, 2019 NBCSWA, ESPN+, SNW
« Reply #80 on: Friday February 01, 2019, 10:53:45 PM Eastern »
OK, eating a little crow here.  I just watched back the last goal and saw another angle. I realize  now that while it appeared Oshie was offside, I was actually seeing through his skate creating a gap that made it appear so. His skate blade was on the blue line at a low angle when Kuzy crossed. No offside. Optical illusion as his skate blade is almost impossible to see unless you freeze the frame and stare.
Be careful what you ask for America; you just might get it.

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
Re: GDT#51 Flames @ Capitals End of Game FIGHT Video !!!
« Reply #81 on: Saturday February 02, 2019, 08:31:59 AM Eastern »
I enjoyed this at the end. It seems almost every one was involved.

Some good isolation clips here:
https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2019/02/01/brooks-orpik-fights-matthew-tkachuk-braden-holtby-gets-involved-in-postgame-brawl-with-flames/
Be careful what you ask for America; you just might get it.

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #82 on: Saturday February 02, 2019, 12:24:12 PM Eastern »
A few comments from the game last night, which I attended.

(1)  The building was loud enough at the end that I couldn't hear the final horn.  First indication that the game was over was the green light in back of the net.  Backstrom leveled Geaudreau shortly after the light came on, but I don't know if he was aware the game was over, and he really didn't hit him that hard.  The real issue is that Backstrom weighs 210, Geaudreau 165.  G. is one of those lightweight waterbugs that seems to be prospering in the new lighterweight NHL.  Cf. Kucherov and Point from the Lightning.

(2)  Caps played pretty effectively for the most part.  I will say that Siegenthaler has one major shortcoming in his game that he will have to work on; that is his footwork.  He's NOT a slow skater and he's strong enough to hold his own on the boards (especially considering that he is now playing on his off-side), but he can't stay with the more mobile players very well.  He has A LOT to learn from a guy like Orpik.  I noticed that Orpik patted him on the rump with his stick a couple of times after he had made a good play.  I think it is obvious that Orpik is doing all he can to mentor him.

(3)  I wonder how badly Eller is hurt?  For all the deserved criticism he has gotten for his play this season, he will be missed on the PK while he is out, and I'm not sure if either Dowd or Boyd can adequately fill the 3C spot, even shorter-term.

(4)  Wilson was a BEAST out there last night.  Easily our best forward, though Oshie had a good night as well.  The TOI stats said only slightly more than 20 minutes for Wilson, but it seemed he was out there all the time, and he is always put in the toughest situations now.  For those that criticized the $5 million AAV contract for him, the guy is earning every bit of it.  As is Carlson on the back end.  Say what you think about his defense, but he is ALWAYS the D-man out there in the tight situations.  And it seems that Orpik is being protected during the game with his 3rd pairing minutes so that he can be ready for the tight end-of-game situations if they occur.  The 5 guys on the ice to protect the lead in the last minute after Kuznetsov scored were Backstrom/Oshie/Wilson/Carlson/Orpik.  They were not coming off the ice until the game was over.

(5)  Recent comments I've seen about nervousness with defensemen pinching late in tight games?  It's true, they DO do that, and they were doing it last night as well.  Thing is, they were doing it last year under Trotz, so in that way, Reirden's system isn't much different.  And lots of/most opposing teams do it as well.  It's the way the game is played today, folks.

(6)  Without Ovie on the ice last night the Caps seemed more intent on generating shots per se, I guess hoping for bounces or rebounds they could capitalize on without their most dependable sniper to try to set up.  Another contributing reason that they might have been trying to generate any shot at all more than they usually do was that Mike Smith looked pretty shaky in goal most of the game, mishandling and looking uncertain on a lot of pucks.  I guess a good strategy with a goalie like that is to get pucks on him, figuring he'll screw up sooner or later.  But in the end, Wilson's and Kuznetsov's goals were pure snipes that no one could have done a lot about.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #83 on: Saturday February 02, 2019, 04:50:16 PM Eastern »
I enjoyed this at the end. It seems almost every one was involved.

Some good isolation clips here:
https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2019/02/01/brooks-orpik-fights-matthew-tkachuk-braden-holtby-gets-involved-in-postgame-brawl-with-flames/

This wasn’t a simple shoving match, this was a message, to us from Calgary that tgey know where the Cup were the Cup winners. But they’re now  one off the best teams in a much tougher division and they don’t think we’re shit, Captain in the lineup or not.

Orpiks actiona were pathetic.  A 22 goes after him and he just keeps him away throws a couple pillow
 Punches and talks shit.  Fuckin pathetic even for woman’s-rules faggot hockey. 

We need to stop jerking off in the Cup, and wake up to fact that there are better teams with better coaching that are coming for us, and we don’t scare anyone anymore, if we ever did

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #84 on: Saturday February 02, 2019, 07:09:50 PM Eastern »

This wasn’t a simple shoving match, this was a message, to us from Calgary that tgey know where the Cup were the Cup winners. But they’re now  one off the best teams in a much tougher division and they don’t think we’re shit, Captain in the lineup or not.

Orpiks actiona were pathetic.  A 22 goes after him and he just keeps him away throws a couple pillow
 Punches and talks shit.  Fuckin pathetic even for woman’s-rules faggot hockey. 

We need to stop jerking off in the Cup, and wake up to fact that there are better teams with better coaching that are coming for us, and we don’t scare anyone anymore, if we ever did

Huh?  A message from Calgary to us?  Last I checked, the incident started because Backstrom shoved Gaudreau into the boards slightly after the final horn.  To interpret that as a message TO us is rather silly.  And yes, Orpik seemed as though he wasn't really interested in fighting.  So?  He's old and has seen it all, including a lot worse than this.  He was probably thinking "what's the ruckus about?"   And Wilson, while seemingly not wanting to get too involved during most of the skirmish, did plant a Calgary guy on the ice when he was challenged. 

You KNOW that if a Calgary player had sent one of our guys into the boards in that manner, you would have interpreted THAT as a message to us.  I think you just make this stuff up as you go along to fit your narrative, without thinking about what really happened.

And as for the Pacific Division being a much tougher division than ours, where do you get that nonsense?  Through last night's games the Metro Division has an exactly .500 record, while the Pacific Division is 8 games under .500.  There is NO evidence to suggest that that Division is stronger than ours.  Now I will agree that the Caps have struggled against West Conference teams this season (while being more successful within the Conference), but that hasn't held true for the Metro in general. 

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #85 on: Saturday February 02, 2019, 10:20:57 PM Eastern »
Best thing about the game last night was we played a very physical first period. Haven’t seen that in a long time.

Second best thing was Kuzy scoring the winner. Maybe that will get him shooting more. Ironically on that play he had a great chance to pass for what could have been a layup goal.

Finally, I predict another goal scoring run by Wilson.

Offline Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #86 on: Saturday February 02, 2019, 11:14:02 PM Eastern »
Yea, I didn't see (the end scrum) as any sort of message to us from them.. Looked like Nicky dumped Gaudreau at the end, then everybody hugged it out.  But if that WAS some kind of attempted message from Calgary.. Uh, they need a new mail man!  :rofl:

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #87 on: Sunday February 03, 2019, 12:13:43 PM Eastern »

Huh?  A message from Calgary to us?  Last I checked, the incident started because Backstrom shoved Gaudreau into the boards slightly after the final horn.  To interpret that as a message TO us is rather silly.  And yes, Orpik seemed as though he wasn't really interested in fighting.  So?  He's old and has seen it all, including a lot worse than this.  He was probably thinking "what's the ruckus about?"   And Wilson, while seemingly not wanting to get too involved during most of the skirmish, did plant a Calgary guy on the ice when he was challenged. 

You KNOW that if a Calgary player had sent one of our guys into the boards in that manner, you would have interpreted THAT as a message to us.  I think you just make this stuff up as you go along to fit your narrative, without thinking about what really happened.

And as for the Pacific Division being a much tougher division than ours, where do you get that nonsense?  Through last night's games the Metro Division has an exactly .500 record, while the Pacific Division is 8 games under .500.  There is NO evidence to suggest that that Division is stronger than ours.  Now I will agree that the Caps have struggled against West Conference teams this season (while being more successful within the Conference), but that hasn't held true for the Metro in general.
your “smartest guy in the room” act is just laughable, and “nonsense”.  What’s even more laughable is your analytical ability which, as your post clearly shows, leads to horrendously inaccurate diagnosis of your enemies.

You really need pull your head out of your ass and realize that repeating what you heard on tv for two years does not make you an expert.

Heh, but I can safely bet that you haven’t been to, let alone watch, many Western Conference games, particularly playoff games, particularly in the last 10years (Oh in that time Ive been to multiple games in LA and Dallas, and one each in St.Paul and Vegas). After all if you have been, or even watched them, you’d know what you said is just naive BULLSHIT.

Naive buillshit you attempt to sell as “data”(), in your fictional narrative against me, in your feebile attempt to sell yourself as “smartest in the room”.

You don’t win this fight.  You will be of better service learning instead of trying to lecture people who know than you.

Offline richkrt99

• Oh, I'm the Hillbilly alrighty!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #88 on: Monday February 04, 2019, 03:43:43 PM Eastern »
your “smartest guy in the room” act is just laughable, and “nonsense”.  What’s even more laughable is your analytical ability which, as your post clearly shows, leads to horrendously inaccurate diagnosis of your enemies.

You really need pull your head out of your ass and realize that repeating what you heard on tv for two years does not make you an expert.

Heh, but I can safely bet that you haven’t been to, let alone watch, many Western Conference games, particularly playoff games, particularly in the last 10years (Oh in that time Ive been to multiple games in LA and Dallas, and one each in St.Paul and Vegas). After all if you have been, or even watched them, you’d know what you said is just naive BULLSHIT.

Naive buillshit you attempt to sell as “data”(), in your fictional narrative against me, in your feebile attempt to sell yourself as “smartest in the room”.

You don’t win this fight.  You will be of better service learning instead of trying to lecture people who know than you.

"Didn't win this fight?"

WTF are you talking about DC?  I don't think this was a fight.  You been watching too much NHL hockey if you think this is a fight? :snicker:
FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Offline richkrt99

• Oh, I'm the Hillbilly alrighty!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #89 on: Monday February 04, 2019, 03:45:47 PM Eastern »
Yes this game was a cure for my boredom.  Still have a pulse  (although, it's not my pulse that's the problem - it's my sanity) :wackysmile:

Thought the guys play well.  Showed some hustle and some physical.

LOVED that they seemed to be SHOOTING the puck and CRASHING the net (okay....crowding the net if not actually crashing it)

Good to see Kuzy score.  Willy is our best player

Go Caps.

FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK