Author Topic: Interesting Rumor  (Read 18923 times)

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
Re: Interesting Rumor
« Reply #20 on: Monday January 07, 2019, 07:42:35 AM Eastern »
DC, we're going to win a few cups in the next 5 year but you'll probably still find something to criticize about the team. The league has changed and no team in it is as physical as you'd want one to be so it's time to accept that and appreciate that we aren't a team like the leafs. That team has more offense than any in the league but will get beat up and taken advantage of in the playoffs because Babcock doesn't have anyone that's tough and can skate well enough to earn a jersey every night. That's why they traded Matt Martin. As much as I dislike Ryan reeves, he's the only players other than byfuglyan that's on a team that will make the playoffs. The only player that's 1st line worthy and tough in the league is Wayne Simmonds and when he hits the free agent market this summer, he'll get 8+ Mil a season if not much more. From what I've seen out of Wilson since he served his suspension is perfect, he picks his spots now and isn't as reckless as he was before.
Thank you Caps PR department, that is just the bullshit is handed out all the time while the rosters change and the ratings drop because people don’t like faggy hockey.

A five Cups in 5 years???.  HOW??? No really tell me how, because I’d love to hear how you come about that bullshit and who you’ll spin it .   You zealots seem think this team is fuckin 84 Oilers md utterly invincible, completely ignorintg that the losses in the playoffs where not 1 pt OT losses where the team played great , but losses where they loook like they didn’t belong in the playoffs, let alone the NHL!   This same team hasn’t gotten out the second round the previous 20 years.  But after a few wins and joing the elite group of teams that have won only one Cup, you think they’ll get 5 after making minimal changes?

So now LOSING 6-5, < 80% PK is just the new NHL, Riedon is the best coach in the world, and the league cowers in fear over this unstoppable offense and Lars Eller! PRAISE JESUS!!!  Anyone who disagrees and follows data instead of entertainment is just a heretic who likes goon hockey and the work of the devil right? 🤣

Offline 4 Caps

« Reply #21 on: Monday January 07, 2019, 08:02:43 AM Eastern »
DC you are just upset that the Caps beat your beloved Red Wings, tell us how great the Red Wings are or better yet tell us which team in the current NHL plays the style of hockey you think is necessary to win the Cup. 

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #22 on: Monday January 07, 2019, 09:45:57 AM Eastern »
DC you are just upset that the Caps beat your beloved Red Wings, tell us how great the Red Wings are or better yet tell us which team in the current NHL plays the style of hockey you think is necessary to win the Cup.
Well you know me well enough to know that’s bullshit.

But, to answer your question, The Wings are in a full rebuild, so bad games are more understandable.  But their drafts will show you that not only are they stocking up with big and strong players, they are addressing their weakness.  Also, next year, The Captain will be GM or even President.  So in a couple years, they’ll be a juggernaut with a smart and strong team.

But this year, Boston is certainly doing it, TB, Nashville, Calgary is also close, (i can’t beleive I’m saying this), The Hens and SJS will we deadly.   However, goalie is a wildcard for all except SJS and Boston.  All of these play defensive system  with rosteres stocked with Selke and/or Norris caliber players.

What your not realizing or understanding is that the ebb of this Woman’s Rules trend is staring to flow back and correct itself.  Teams are drafting bigger players, the likes of Wilson are becoming more and
more valuable then euro-figureskaters who are over paid for their 15 goals.

Also look at the ratings, the national ratings are dropping each year with NBCs contract ending in 2021.  This maybe the biggest case the Woman’s Rules don’t work, or belong in the NHL.

So if the Caps stick with what they have and how they do things. the teams that are ahead of the curve will do i ate them.

I have no desire to point at sole SC Banner and say, “Well we did it once” 

Offline 4 Caps

« Reply #23 on: Monday January 07, 2019, 10:16:27 AM Eastern »
Its funny that you list Tampa Bay as one of the teams because they are one of the least physical teams in the league.  I was recently watching a TB game and the commentators were saying that one of the reasons they lost to the Capitals last year in the playoffs was because the Capitals were more physical. 

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #24 on: Monday January 07, 2019, 12:47:14 PM Eastern »
Its funny that you list Tampa Bay as one of the teams because they are one of the least physical teams in the league.  I was recently watching a TB game and the commentators were saying that one of the reasons they lost to the Capitals last year in the playoffs was because the Capitals were more physical.
Not at all.   They have a +52 GAA and tough D.

And if you think we beat TB because we we (Wilson) was more physical, then I don’t what you where watching or looking at.  We won becside Cooper bet on the Caps folding like they used to and made no adjustments, and Trotz took advantage

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #25 on: Monday January 07, 2019, 02:00:54 PM Eastern »
I don’t see the Caps going after a top 4 defenseman, their top 4 barring injury is solid and demonstrated last year that they can win with.  As in years past I expect that the Caps will add a depth defenseman and will give up a middle round draft choice to get one.

I think you are right and I hate that move.  Every dman we have picked up at the deadline has been a disappointment and the Shattenkirk deal was an absolute disaster.  With the exception of Kempney, not only have the guys been mediocre at best, but I would argue that they have disrupted the team chemistry as well.

As much as I like Buro, if they can get somebody steady with a big body that has some upside, I say do it.

Offline 4 Caps

« Reply #26 on: Monday January 07, 2019, 02:30:35 PM Eastern »

And if you think we beat TB because we we (Wilson) was more physical, then I don’t what you where watching or looking at.  We won because Cooper bet on the Caps folding like they used to and made no adjustments, and Trotz took advantage
It wasn’t me who said that it was the cementators which unfortunately I don’t recall who they were but obviously they don’t know as much about hockey as you. 
« Last Edit: Monday January 07, 2019, 03:10:23 PM Eastern by DC_1908 »

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #27 on: Monday January 07, 2019, 03:07:13 PM Eastern »
It wasn’t me who said that it was the cementators which unfortunately I don’t recall who they were but obviously they don’t know as much about hockey as you.
Said what?  But, I’m sure the cementators know who signs their paychecks, what their producers say, annnd how thier ratings are tanking. 

Offline 4 Caps

« Reply #28 on: Monday January 07, 2019, 03:49:22 PM Eastern »

And if you think we beat TB because we we (Wilson) was more physical, then I don’t what you where watching or looking at.  We won becside Cooper bet on the Caps folding like they used to and made no adjustments, and Trotz took advantage
Tampa Bay has given up 2.95 goals per game.  Guess what the Caps have also given up 2.95 goals per game.  So TB’s +52 goal differential isn’t because they have a better defense than the Caps it is because  they have a better offense but don’t let the facts get in the way of your argument. 

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #29 on: Monday January 07, 2019, 04:05:37 PM Eastern »
Tampa Bay has given up 2.95 goals per game.  Guess what the Caps have also given up 2.95 goals per game.  So TB’sthis  +52 goal differential isn’t because they have a better defense than the Caps it is because  they have a better offense but don’t let the facts get in the way of your argument.
OH THATS IT!!!  My god, i guess the 84 Oilers, I mean 18 Caps are last in the league in offense then.  Or that the TBL just  have the hottest goalie?

Have you watched any of of either of thier games??  Or are the NHLs ratings that bad that you don’t want to?

I wouldn’t blame you if you didn’t.  I mean you can watch woman’s rules hockey at any local skating rink with out having to deal with the few real men that are in the NHL

Offline 4 Caps

« Reply #30 on: Monday January 07, 2019, 05:00:01 PM Eastern »
OH THATS IT!!!  My god, i guess the 84 Oilers, I mean 18 Caps are last in the league in offense then.  Or that the TBL just  have the hottest goalie?

Have you watched any of of either of thier games??  Or are the NHLs ratings that bad that you don’t want to?

I wouldn’t blame you if you didn’t.  I mean you can watch woman’s rules hockey at any local skating rink with out having to deal with the few real men that are in the NHL
What the hell are you talking about.  Your response has nothing to do with the point I made that TB’s and the Caps have the same GAA and that defensively TB was therefore not any better defensively than the Caps. 
I have only watched TB play once this season but what does that have to do with this discussion.  I understand that you don’t like the way hockey is being played today but that is the reality and your complaining about it is not going to change it. 

Offline Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #31 on: Monday January 07, 2019, 05:10:14 PM Eastern »
Holy shit! +52??? With that +/- goal differential, DC would literally birth a cow, if he was a Lightning fan..  :uh-huh:   They'd have to change their name to the "Tampa Bay Pond Jockeys"..  :rofl: :snicker: :rofl:

Online richkrt99

• Oh, I'm the Hillbilly alrighty!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #32 on: Monday January 07, 2019, 06:30:33 PM Eastern »
Well you know me well enough to know that’s bullshit.

But, to answer your question, The Wings are in a full rebuild, so bad games are more understandable.  But their drafts will show you that not only are they stocking up with big and strong players, they are addressing their weakness.  Also, next year, The Captain will be GM or even President.  So in a couple years, they’ll be a juggernaut with a smart and strong team.

But this year, Boston is certainly doing it, TB, Nashville, Calgary is also close, (i can’t beleive I’m saying this), The Hens and SJS will we deadly.   However, goalie is a wildcard for all except SJS and Boston.  All of these play defensive system  with rosteres stocked with Selke and/or Norris caliber players.

What your not realizing or understanding is that the ebb of this Woman’s Rules trend is staring to flow back and correct itself.  Teams are drafting bigger players, the likes of Wilson are becoming more and
more valuable then euro-figureskaters who are over paid for their 15 goals.

Also look at the ratings, the national ratings are dropping each year with NBCs contract ending in 2021.  This maybe the biggest case the Woman’s Rules don’t work, or belong in the NHL.

So if the Caps stick with what they have and how they do things. the teams that are ahead of the curve will do i ate them.

I have no desire to point at sole SC Banner and say, “Well we did it once”

You quote this stat frequently (decreasing market share), but I wonder....Are you taking into account the fact that there is SO MANY MORE viewing options these days?  I mean with Netflix and cable and satellite and so on, there is a HUGE difference in market share to be shared these days.  Sure, the NHL wants to increase it's share, but with so much to choose from..and the population density ever increasing, maybe a 10 share today is actually BETTER than a 15 share 10-15 years ago.

I mean I know your an anal lytics guy and all, but maybe you are just posting a meaningless stat.  I'm not accusing you of this but stats and statistics can be manipulated. (4 out of 5 Dentists recommend sugarless gum....what they don't tell you is they polled 24 dentists and chose the 4 out of 5 they wanted)

I mean if we ask Maako....he'll tell you that Carlson is a great D man and has the stats to prove it.   :snicker:

Not really trying to pick if fight with either of you, and I'm on the same side of the fence as far as the direction of the NHL, but the tide IS TURNING.  You can preach bigger, stronger, meaner, more physical all you want, but tell me how effective these big strong mean tough SOB's that we love (Wilson) are when they are suspended for 20 games for being bigger and stronger than the Euro trash that is scoring whilst ye be sitting at home counting the dollars you lost for being stronger than them?
FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #33 on: Monday January 07, 2019, 06:43:03 PM Eastern »
What the hell are you talking about.  Your response has nothing to do with the point I made that TB’s and the Caps have the same GAA and that defensively TB was therefore not any better defensively than the Caps. 
I have only watched TB play once this season but what does that have to do with this discussion.  I understand that you don’t like the way hockey is being played today but that is the reality and your complaining about it is not going to change it.
I’m talking about you dodging my answers to your question and trying to frame it like so don’t know what  talking about just because you don’t understand it.

All you did was look up layman stats and paint an amateur picture like one would a 12 and under league.

Hey I know you like Woman’s Rules, but this style is in its swan song, and praying for it isn’t gonna change it.

Offline 4 Caps

« Reply #34 on: Monday January 07, 2019, 07:12:01 PM Eastern »
Give me one example of where I dodged your answer to my guestion.  You can’t.

You know why the NHL is changing, it is the same reason why the NFL is changing and that is fear of legal liability.  Rules are being tweaked in both leagues for player safety and it is not going back to the old days despite what you think. 

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #35 on: Monday January 07, 2019, 07:49:34 PM Eastern »
Give me one example of where I dodged your answer to my guestion.  You can’t.

You know why the NHL is changing, it is the same reason why the NFL is changing and that is fear of legal liability.  Rules are being tweaked in both leagues for player safety and it is not going back to the old days despite what you think.
Boston
San Jose,
Calgary

Recent  Drafts

And don’t give me that bullshit about “legal liability” either.  That’s 90% a sales pitch

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #36 on: Monday January 07, 2019, 08:13:06 PM Eastern »

You quote this stat frequently (decreasing market share), but I wonder....Are you taking into account the fact that there is SO MANY MORE viewing options these days?  I mean with Netflix and cable and satellite and so on, there is a HUGE difference in market share to be shared these days.  Sure, the NHL wants to increase it's share, but with so much to choose from..and the population density ever increasing, maybe a 10 share today is actually BETTER than a 15 share 10-15 years ago.

I mean I know your an anal lytics guy and all, but maybe you are just posting a meaningless stat.  I'm not accusing you of this but stats and statistics can be manipulated. (4 out of 5 Dentists recommend sugarless gum....what they don't tell you is they polled 24 dentists and chose the 4 out of 5 they wanted)

I mean if we ask Maako....he'll tell you that Carlson is a great D man and has the stats to prove it.   :snicker:

Not really trying to pick if fight with either of you, and I'm on the same side of the fence as far as the direction of the NHL, but the tide IS TURNING.  You can preach bigger, stronger, meaner, more physical all you want, but tell me how effective these big strong mean tough SOB's that we love (Wilson) are when they are suspended for 20 games for being bigger and stronger than the Euro trash that is scoring whilst ye be sitting at home counting the dollars you lost for being stronger than them?
The NBC contract is one of the major sources of revenue for the NHL.

When it was signed, the belief was change the rules. push offense only,make the game faster, remove the violence and dumb it down (aka woman’s rules), would make the game more appealing to the mainstream tv audience on prime time and other networks/

But as this quick look of data shows, they where wrong.  The “New NHL” isn’t selling and NBC knows it.

Really, how many times do you watch a non-Caps game compared to 5 or so years ago?  Hell tonight Wild and Canadians are playing, but I’d rather rewatch Oceans 11 (1960), because this woman’s rules bullshit is basketball on figure skates.

The contracts up in ‘21, and there ain’t many other gimmicks to “make the game more mainstream” left.  With any luck, NBC won’t renew it

Offline 4 Caps

« Reply #37 on: Monday January 07, 2019, 08:31:02 PM Eastern »
Boston
San Jose,
Calgary

Recent  Drafts

And don’t give me that bullshit about “legal liability” either.  That’s 90% a sales pitch

I didn’t respond to your other picks because I have no quarrel with them playing the style you think is necessary to win a Cup.  As for your statement that in recent drafts teams are picking bigger players, I have not done a study of recent draft picks to guestion your statement.  However, Detroit’s first round pick, Zadina, is one of those soft skilled Euro’s you despise. I would have loved to see the Caps get him. 

We will have to agree to disagree about legal liability being the big reason for the change in the rules. 

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #38 on: Monday January 07, 2019, 09:59:25 PM Eastern »
Unfortunately, this team never does anything proactively.. They'll hold Burt too long (past the deadline) then he'll walk next year when they can't justify a 3 mil offer.. Only thing that changes that, imo, is if things go way off the rails between now and the deadline.

You’re right on them not being very proactive, Mick!

Our home announcers group is starting to subtly weave a little sweet talk about Bura, into the general game coverage! WHY???  I DUNNO!!
Ok he’s made an extra shot attempt or two in the last two games!! AND??!!
He’s still losing pucks when he crosses the blue line, STILL loses pucks, at damn near EVERY board battle below the circles, when challenged by opponent in their zone!!
Comments like “skating smarter”, WHAT???....”upping his physicality”, DOUBLE-FUCK WHAT?????....

If there was ever a time he could look a little bit better...it would be NOW!!! If he DID something good, it would stand out even MORE, against the backdrop of our generally sloppy, lesser effort, play going on right now!!!
He can’t even shine when we look shitty!!!

The ONLY thing I can think of is that mgmt is giving him a “showcase” opportunity, as has been said!!
It’s gone on at least 3 games too long, IMO!!!

You’ve got Jaskin and Dowd sitting out, and they along with Boyd, have NOT been the problem of the last two weeks!

Dump Bura, and put DSP or Stephenson on 3rd line, and the other on 4th line, alternating any two between Jaskin, Dowd, and Boyd.  When Jaskin is in he stays as a wing. Dowd and Boyd, both can play at center or wing as needs dictate!!
We don’t need a 3rd line forward to replace Bura, in a trade. We’ve got forwards aplenty!!
Either SELL Bura outright, if allowed,? even at a small discount, and make up the difference, CASH, or get a D man in trade!!
Worst case scenario, do nothing, and scratch him OFTEN, or let him help HERSHEY, if that’s even permitted!! (I’m not sure)??

Rush

Always hopeful, yet discontent -
He knows CHANGES aren’t permanent -
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Offline Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #39 on: Monday January 07, 2019, 10:12:38 PM Eastern »

:rofl: :rofl:
Comments like “skating smarter”, WHAT???....”upping his physicality”, DOUBLE-FUCK WHAT? ??? ?...

They -have- been looking for ways to talk him up lately.. Too bad bout all they got is "Well, he's not done anything fucking stupid yet"  :lol: