Author Topic: From Mother-Son to Father-Daughter  (Read 2815 times)

Online Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
From Mother-Son to Father-Daughter
« on: Saturday January 06, 2018, 09:01:52 PM Eastern »
Bear with the long post.

So I grew up in St. Louis during the 60s-80s.  My parents, mostly my mother, took me to many Blues games and I became a huge hockey fan.  Red Berenson, Gary Unger, the Plager Brothers, Noel Picard, Bernie Federko, etc... For some reason Jack Egers was my favorite and I wore out his #15 jersey playing street hockey and imitating his slap shot.  My mother took me to game after game, and would even wait with me in the freezing parking garage after the games so I could get autographs when the players left.  It turned into a special Mother-Son bond.

Fast forward to about 9 years ago.  I have two daughters and I decided to see how they would like hockey, so I took my youngest down to Verizon for the last game of the season, planning to buy tickets outside.  I approached several people selling tickets and was shocked with the prices.  I could afford it, but I didn't realize how high tickets had risen and was just annoyed by it. I apologized to my daughter and told her we were going to head home.

Just at that time, a man turned to me and asked if we were Caps fans.  I said yes, we were planning to be, and that this was going to be our first game.  He said "here you go" and handed me two tickets - refusing to take payment.  We went into the arena, sat down and I started explained the nuances of hockey including "icing" and "off-sides".  My daughter loved it and we had fantastic time - together.  I am forever grateful to that man.

The next year, I bought season tickets and for the next 8 years, I took both my daughters to many, many games.  We experienced the highs and lows and they became avid fans with their own favorite players and jerseys.  It has been our special Father-Daughter bond.

So, now they are older and we are moving away from the area in the next few weeks.  My final game as a season-ticketholder is tomorrow and although I didn't plan it this way, it just turned out that the game is against the St. Louis Blues.  I will sit in the stands with my daughter just as my Mom sat with me.  When I get home from the game, my wife will ask me "who won?".  My answer will be "I did".

Rush

Re: From Mother-Son to Father-Daughter
« Reply #1 on: Sunday January 07, 2018, 12:20:55 AM Eastern »
Bear with the long post.

So I grew up in St. Louis during the 60s-80s.  My parents, mostly my mother, took me to many Blues games and I became a huge hockey fan.  Red Berenson, Gary Unger, the Plager Brothers, Noel Picard, Bernie Federko, etc... For some reason Jack Egers was my favorite and I wore out his #15 jersey playing street hockey and imitating his slap shot.  My mother took me to game after game, and would even wait with me in the freezing parking garage after the games so I could get autographs when the players left.  It turned into a special Mother-Son bond.

Fast forward to about 9 years ago.  I have two daughters and I decided to see how they would like hockey, so I took my youngest down to Verizon for the last game of the season, planning to buy tickets outside.  I approached several people selling tickets and was shocked with the prices.  I could afford it, but I didn't realize how high tickets had risen and was just annoyed by it. I apologized to my daughter and told her we were going to head home.

Just at that time, a man turned to me and asked if we were Caps fans.  I said yes, we were planning to be, and that this was going to be our first game.  He said "here you go" and handed me two tickets - refusing to take payment.  We went into the arena, sat down and I started explained the nuances of hockey including "icing" and "off-sides".  My daughter loved it and we had fantastic time - together.  I am forever grateful to that man.

The next year, I bought season tickets and for the next 8 years, I took both my daughters to many, many games.  We experienced the highs and lows and they became avid fans with their own favorite players and jerseys.  It has been our special Father-Daughter bond.

So, now they are older and we are moving away from the area in the next few weeks.  My final game as a season-ticketholder is tomorrow and although I didn't plan it this way, it just turned out that the game is against the St. Louis Blues.  I will sit in the stands with my daughter just as my Mom sat with me.  When I get home from the game, my wife will ask me "who won?".  My answer will be "I did".

Hey Beags!
THAT was a very heartwarming post!  I applaud your willingness to share such a thing, and your “dot-connecting” abilities, for the important things in life!! Very cool, symbolic, and warmly ironic! Whether or not your mother, is still with us, or not, here on this earth, she must be SO PROUD, of you! That’s AWESOME!🙏
I’ll be at the game tomorrow in sect. 408. I’d be honored to treat you, or you and daughter, to some snacks or refreshments, in between periods or something. whatever way you’d be cool with! And, of course, if it’s not something your comfortable with, I would completely 100% understand! Feel
free to PM me, and I’ll give you my cell, if you like!  Good luck on your move! Hope to see you tomorrow, and LETS GO CAPS!!

Rush

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #2 on: Sunday January 07, 2018, 10:07:40 AM Eastern »
Bear with the long post.

That’s awesome man!  Hope you aren’t moving to far away!

I strongly adavise giving Rush a shout if you can.  He’s a hell of a good man and fun to hang out with!

Maacoshark

« Reply #3 on: Sunday January 07, 2018, 10:56:07 AM Eastern »
   That is a great story. Hope you continue to be a Caps fan. Nice that you were able to be a Blues fan as an expansion team. I believe they made 3 cup finals back then. I do remember all of those players you mentioned. Good players, especially Federko and Red Berenson.

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
« Reply #4 on: Sunday January 07, 2018, 11:59:31 AM Eastern »
Wow Beaglefan!   What a great story, and very well written too.   I'll be thinking about you guys during the game today. I hope you continue to hang with us here sometimes, no matter where you might be.

I too am shocked at ticket prices.  I could afford it when I was a teen, but now it has become a bit too much.  I remember getting great seats for under $20 at the Capitals Center.

I would love to see your story written up in a local paper.  It would be a real treat to see the guy that gave you those tickets realize the heartwarming story that he initiated. 

Good luck with the move and your future endeavors.
AJ
Be careful what you ask for America; you just might get it.

Online Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #5 on: Sunday January 07, 2018, 12:46:19 PM Eastern »
Thanks everybody.  I will still be a Caps fan, just by TV from long distance.  Of course when the make the finals this year, I will come back for that!

Offline OldHat

• King Jackass
  • Hockey Deity
  • One Foot in the Grave
« Reply #6 on: Sunday January 07, 2018, 07:53:26 PM Eastern »
Damn it Beags, I don't come here to get all teary-eyed!   >:(

In all seriousness, that's an awesome story and it's awesome how it culminated in the game today.  Amazing how life is!

Too bad the guy that miracled you with tix doesn't know how he started it.

Cheers!
What's up babes...