Author Topic: GDT#32 Sabres @ Capitals 7:00p.m. Sat Dec 15, 2018 NBCSWA, MSG-B  (Read 31145 times)

Maacoshark

Re: GDT#32 Sabres @ Capitals 7:00p.m. Sat Dec 15, 2018 NBCSWA, MSG-B
« Reply #120 on: Wednesday December 19, 2018, 12:45:12 PM Eastern »
    I have to agree with DC. There are teams that are still playing a defensively responsible system. You dont have to look any further than the Islanders. On paper that is a bad team. They dont have any true star players. Some might say Barzal but I dont think he is. In paper it might be the weakest dcore in the league Boychuck might be their best defender and he is 34. And their goaltending is well below average. Griess and Lehner were amongst the worst goalies in the league last year. All of a sudden they are putting up decent numbers. What they are doing is all because of the system because talent wise they should be at or near the basement.
     There really is no reason that we can't be successful with a more structured system. We did it in the past. It won us a cup. Why would you change a system that has been so successful? Unless like DC says, it's all about marketing.

Online Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #121 on: Wednesday December 19, 2018, 01:25:27 PM Eastern »
 :huh: Games played to points earned we're 2nd in the league, winning the division, won 12 of the last 14 and defending the Stanley Cup..  Lets bitch!!!  :uh-huh: :rofl:

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #122 on: Wednesday December 19, 2018, 03:08:55 PM Eastern »
:huh: Games played to points earned we're 2nd in the league, winning the division, won 12 of the last 14 and defending the Stanley Cup..  Lets bitch!!!  :uh-huh: :rofl:
We’re winning despite playing very bad and very ugly, which doesn’t bode well for a team work a target on its head and a rookie head coach. 

We should all know by now that this style and methodology looses way more than it wins

Offline richkrt99

• Oh, I'm the Hillbilly alrighty!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #123 on: Wednesday December 19, 2018, 03:45:22 PM Eastern »
Holtby is unhappy?

Maybe he should play for Philly or better yet Jersey and see what his stats are.  I think that is all just a load of crap.  What player on this team should be unhappy?  (except maybe Bura, but that is his own doing which he will never recognize)  The stars have a chance to shine on this teame and some young guys are getting chances to show what they can do.  I don't think anyone undervalues Holtby based on his GAA this year.  Any team would be happy to have him, but that doesn't mean his stats would be any better elsewhere.  So what.... you move to another team where you GAA drops from 2.99 to 2.79, but you miss the playoffs cause your team can't score enough goals to win enough games?  GREAT!  Anyone think that would make a goalie happy?

Holtby's stats may not be what they were before but who the hell cares?  He is an excellent goaltender and WE DEPEND ON HIM.....which is the way it should be.
You have to rely on your best players to be your best players...including the goaltender.  That is one, if if not THE KEY position needed to win a cup, and one of the main reasons we have one.

Holtby being unhappy about the way the league is changing is not a CAPITALS issue.  It's league wide.

Anyway, yes we certainly could play better defensively as a whole...forwards, D, systems, etc.  Yes I would like to see more physical play and better discipline.  But I sure as hell am enjoying the way Ovi is scoring goals

I still don't see how we can bitch about winning 12 out of 14.  Some ugly; yes.  Some undeserved; yes.  Some stolen by Holtby; yes.  But that's true of any 12/14 streak on any team I would say.  Especially in this game where dumb luck and bad/good bounces change the outcome of the game.

I'd say one of my biggest concerns is the number of penalties - especially dumb ones.  I believe they will clean that up by the playoffs.  (or they will get bounced early, but that is true of any team)

FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #124 on: Wednesday December 19, 2018, 03:46:01 PM Eastern »
We’re winning despite playing very bad and very ugly, which doesn’t bode well for a team work a target on its head and a rookie head coach. 

We should all know by now that this style and methodology looses wins way more than it wins loses, at least for this team in the regular season.

Fixed it for you.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday December 19, 2018, 04:21:40 PM Eastern »

Fixed it for you.
yea, like all comments i’m this thread, you missed the point.

But I get it, you like  6-5 OT wins in December even if the result of this a(nother) first round exit.  I mean “Mr. Leonisis” said the goal was “A Cup”, not two, not a dynasty, and not becoming a top organization, so we should all just sit back and watch the goals because we have a,(one, uno, single, solitary, one squared, one to the first power, <2) Cup.   

Online Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #126 on: Wednesday December 19, 2018, 04:29:55 PM Eastern »

We should all know by now that this style and methodology looses way more than it wins

That's just it, Im not seeing this very bad/ugly pond hockey you and Maaco are? I've seen some bad plays sure, I've seen some soft goals, I've seen some shitty PKs, but poor structure and ugly play? Not sure what you guys are watching.. Holtbys been good, but if you think he's been making 10 bell saves to keep us in games I'd say he's given up nearly as many softies and head standers.. Maybe it's my Stanley Cup goggles??  :hearts:

Offline 4 Caps

« Reply #127 on: Wednesday December 19, 2018, 05:05:08 PM Eastern »

That's just it, Im not seeing this very bad/ugly pond hockey you and Maaco are? I've seen some bad plays sure, I've seen some soft goals, I've seen some shitty PKs, but poor structure and ugly play? Not sure what you guys are watching.. Holtbys been good, but if you think he's been making 10 bell saves to keep us in games I'd say he's given up nearly as many softies and head standers.. Maybe it's my Stanley Cup goggles??  :hearts:
I am with you Mickstix.  Overall, the Caps have been playing well except for taking too many penalties and not being able to kill them off.  5 on 5 we have been the better team in most of the games.  As for Holtby being unhappy, the only mention of his unhappiness that I have seen was in connection with the change in the goalie equipment and that he was getting a lot of bruises.  It was not that he was unhappy with how the Caps were playing in front of him. 

Offline richkrt99

• Oh, I'm the Hillbilly alrighty!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #128 on: Wednesday December 19, 2018, 05:42:56 PM Eastern »
I am with you Mickstix.  Overall, the Caps have been playing well except for taking too many penalties and not being able to kill them off.  5 on 5 we have been the better team in most of the games.  As for Holtby being unhappy, the only mention of his unhappiness that I have seen was in connection with the change in the goalie equipment and that he was getting a lot of bruises.  It was not that he was unhappy with how the Caps were playing in front of him.

I'm with you guys.  Yes not always stellar play, but not this video game stuff DC is hung up on.  We love DC, but he's gonna still be unhappy when we lead the league in fights, win every game, have 7 Stanley Cups, beat the living shit out of every oponent every game.  He's still going to be mad at Ted for wanting a winning team that turns a profit.  I don't have a problem with Ted turning a profit as long as means the Caps are winning and have a reasonable chance at a good playoff run.  I don't consider it a total failure if we don't win the cup EVERY YEAR.
Sure I want to win, but lets be real....so do all the other NHL teams.

FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Maacoshark

« Reply #129 on: Wednesday December 19, 2018, 07:46:34 PM Eastern »

Actually I agree with your assessment on Holtby. He is playing well but not exceptional. That's kind of my point. 2 seasons ago when we allowed the fewest goals in the league Holtby didn't play any better even though his numbers were so much better.
    It is the play if the team in front of him that has changed, not his play.
I do agree with DC about the pond hockey though. We have gone from a team that gives up few high scoring chances to one if the worst. Our personnel hasn't changed that much. I'd say the problem is the system.

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #130 on: Wednesday December 19, 2018, 11:42:39 PM Eastern »
One common characteristic I see, throughout the entire NHL, and present in ALL the teams that play, is a higher presence of random, more chaotic, general play, marked by unplanned spontaneity, where more of the positive, AND negative, results appear as if they’ve just been “happened into”, as opposed to resulting from a well planned execution of a play!

Its not a coincidence that we see a de-emphasis on the implementation, and respect for, basic hockey fundamentals, ride, side by side, with these characteristics of the game NOW.

We see also, most teams, having to work on a variety of issues, throughout the season. These varied issues seem to rise up, often, out of nowhere, or for little reason, other than they are present!

I’ve noticed a loss in the number of teams not having a “solid rep”, that identifies an obvious good characteristic about them! At a minimum, the media may try to engage in giving a rep to a team, but I feel they have to stretch their case a bit to be believed!

As compared, as an example, to the reputation the Boston Bruins had years back, as a very physical team to play.
Now, it seems you have a situation, where teams can look physical, one night, soft, on another, speedy, super offensive, slow, gritty, WHATEVER, on any given night!
Certainly, not every team, all the time, but the fickleness of the games, is at a considerably higher degree than ever before!

Rush
Always hopeful, yet discontent -
He knows CHANGES aren’t permanent -
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #131 on: Wednesday December 19, 2018, 11:53:01 PM Eastern »
To follow up, I like Holtby enough.
I was surprised that he seemed to use today’s game style, as part of the reason he had a rough time in the last half of last years season.
Although that comment seemed uncharacteristic of Holtz, to me, I thought strongly that it was a pathetically weak excuse, as this situation is the same for ALL goalies, league wide!!

I just chalked it off to maybe he had a lot of frustration, however, that statement would have been more understandable, had he said it during the season. Instead, he said it during the summer after we won the Stanley Cup!  Kinda weak on his part, albeit uncharacteristic for him, in his defense!

Rush
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Maacoshark

« Reply #132 on: Thursday December 20, 2018, 07:37:45 AM Eastern »
To follow up, I like Holtby enough.
I was surprised that he seemed to use today’s game style, as part of the reason he had a rough time in the last half of last years season.
Although that comment seemed uncharacteristic of Holtz, to me, I thought strongly that it was a pathetically weak excuse, as this situation is the same for ALL goalies, league wide!!

I just chalked it off to maybe he had a lot of frustration, however, that statement would have been more understandable, had he said it during the season. Instead, he said it during the summer after we won the Stanley Cup!  Kinda weak on his part, albeit uncharacteristic for him, in his defense!

Rush
    Actually I thought Holtby was too polite when he made those comments. He should have been ripping his team mates new asshole. They threw him under the bus and are doing it again this year.

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #133 on: Friday December 21, 2018, 12:20:00 AM Eastern »
    Actually I thought Holtby was too polite when he made those comments. He should have been ripping his team mates new asshole. They threw him under the bus and are doing it again this year.

I believe, as Mickstix, says, that Holtz has had both great saves AND great blunders, this year, that have both WON, and LOST games for us. Hell, not just this year either!!
In all of the Trotz years, and this year, Holtby has had his ups and downs, like any goalie!

Holtby, or any starting goalie for that matter, would be an absolute fuckin’ idiot to start “ripping his team mates a new asshole”!  Are you KIDDING!!! It’s just not done, PERIOD!! True NHL professionals don’t publicly call out their team mates! The natural bonding, between players, and the required teamwork, to even play hockey, weigh so heavily against an individual player calling out ANY teammate!  And, if it DID happen, the team, coaches, and management would END IT, immediately!!

It is universally true in hockey, that successful teams win games throughout the season, in many ways! Sometimes the goalies stand on their heads, whether thrown under the bus or not, and sometimes teams win IN SPITE OF their goalies bad performance!! This is NHL Hockey 101! Including the Capitals!! Individual players to not call their fellow teammates out!  I’ve never even seen it happen, although I can’t say that it has NEVER happened! But it would be rare, awkward, and foolish!!

Rush
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #134 on: Friday December 21, 2018, 12:38:14 AM Eastern »
Just to add a bit of context.

Holtby meant those comments as a response to what may have contributed to his bad play and goalie stat numbers, in the last half of the 2017 season, when he was pulled for Gruby, temporarily!

He made them, REFLECTING BACK, somewhere in the time period just before this season started, I believe, and also AFTER we had won the Stanley Cup!!

What do you think Holtby should have said???  (Holtby):...”Uh, I was replaced by Gruby, because of my bad performance numbers!!  They really weren’t my fault though, because Carlson, Kempny, Orlov, Nisky, Brooks, and the rest of the D, played like shit, and threw me under the bus”!! 😂😂🤣🤣😂🤣

Gimme a fuckin break!!! LMFAO!!

Rush

BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”