Author Topic: GDT#26 Ducks@ Capitals 3:00 p.m. Sun Dec 2, 2018 NBCSWA, SN, PRIME  (Read 16718 times)

Offline PUCKNRUSH

Re: GDT#26 Ducks@ Capitals 3:00 p.m. Sun Dec 2, 2018 NBCSWA, SN, PRIME
« Reply #80 on: Monday December 03, 2018, 12:55:30 AM Eastern »
That one still has me talkin to myself.. Just god awful, bad, stupid, retarded.. How do you give up 5 straight goals? At home? In the last 25 minutes of the game you were leading 5-1? And not even get a single fucking point? Oof...  That kinda  :poop:  can spin ya out. Be interesting to see how they respond, especially if they get behind. Could be the start of a nice losing streak.  :-\

Yep, Mick. One of those gut rippers that may have more significance than meets the eye!
I mean, the loss itself, AND, even the pathetic manner in which it played out, are one thing, as the typical philosophical responses, by coaches, players, and fans, is that we “forget this one”, or “you just have to keep pressing on”, etc., etc. To be fair, these are all good, and time tested ways to recover and move on from such a depressing and demoralizing loss like this.

My concern is in the timing of this loss! Meaning that the overall team dynamic was just starting to show some consistent positives. One of them being that we seemed to be learning how to “generally”, hold onto a lead, and WIN! Especially over the last month of play.
Secondly, our PK has been steadily improving!
Third. Holtz seemed to be getting better!
I would rather have seen a complete low-energy game from the Caps from start to finish, than
this on-again/off-again, switching of energy and discipline, when we are ahead!

It’s never accurate to cast blame on a single player for a loss, and I do firmly believe that, but Orlov played the greater significant role here to the loss factor. Whether the first boarding penalty was legit or not, you CANNOT risk getting the second one! ALSO, we rarely get such an easily obvious view on what puck watching IS, by a defender, NEAR OR IN THE CREASE, as a goal is being scored! Orlov was a poster boy example of that today!

Trying to pull any positive out of this, it is amazing, the way this season parallels last season, in its overall flow, so far. I can remember a few odd “belly-hurt” type losses, during the ascension of the teams heavy improvement period, all through November and December, and through to the all-star break! I’m happy to say that through their several win streaks,  they successfully “shook off“ these type of losses, and generally proceeded well forward!
THAT is why this mini road trip will be interesting.  Whether or not that shake off ability is in them now is what we’re about to see!! C’mon boys!

Rush
Always hopeful, yet discontent -
He knows CHANGES aren’t permanent -
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Offline justwincaps

• Advanced Member
« Reply #81 on: Monday December 03, 2018, 11:11:26 AM Eastern »
Everyone, this one is my fault.

At 4-1 I thought, "Caps score the next goal and we're good - Anaheim scores and we've got a game."

Well, the Caps scored and I mistakenly and naively thought we had this one in the bag.

I mistakenly thought that THIS post-SC champion Caps team wouldn't blow a 4 goal lead.

I mistakenly thought that THIS post-SC champion Caps team wouldn't blow a 4 goal lead at home.

I mistakenly thought that THIS post-SC champion Caps team wouldn't blow a 4 goal lead at home with less than 1/2 the game remaining.

I mistakenly thought that THIS post-SC champion Caps team was different than the pre-SC champion teams, which would more than regularly have long mental lapses and do shit like this.

So, my apologies.   I will never, ever believe any Caps lead is safe again.   I have re-learned my lesson.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #82 on: Monday December 03, 2018, 11:58:08 AM Eastern »

At 4-1 I thought, "Caps score the next goal and we're good - Anaheim scores and we've got a game."

Well, the Caps scored and I mistakenly and naively thought we had this one in the bag.

I mistakenly thought that THIS post-SC champion Caps team wouldn't blow a 4 goal lead.

I mistakenly thought that THIS post-SC champion Caps team wouldn't blow a 4 goal lead at home.

I mistakenly thought that THIS post-SC champion Caps team wouldn't blow a 4 goal lead at home with less than 1/2 the game remaining.

I mistakenly thought that THIS post-SC champion Caps team was different than the pre-SC champion teams, which would more than regularly have long mental lapses and do shit like this.

So, my apologies.   I will never, ever believe any Caps lead is safe again.   I have re-learned my lesson.
don’t worry man, you didnt blow the four goal lead 🤣😡

This type of shit happens way two often, this year and last year), to continually chalk it up as “mental lapses”, “bad games”, “early in the season”, at least we have ‘A’ Cup etc etc.

This is who they are. They won  the right 16 games last year, but there where also very ugly games in the playoffs too.  Champions, elites, dominate  and teams building dynasties have bad games, give up 4+, maybe aren’t in the top of the confrence every month, but it sure as hell doesn’t happen to them as much, or as badly as it does to the Caps.

Offline Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #83 on: Monday December 03, 2018, 01:01:03 PM Eastern »

At least you admit it!  (Ō_ƆŎ) :raspberry:

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #84 on: Monday December 03, 2018, 11:44:46 PM Eastern »
After that fiasco of a game yesterday, we at least have one bright spot, according to Rierden, and I tend to agree with him.

Our fourth line combo of Dowd, Jaskin, and Stephenson! Just took a look at a few stats. Jaskin, most notably, has moved into 3rd place on the team in total hits at 51!  He also has the best giveaway/takeaway ratio, at 10 tka/ 2gva! That’s 4 takes for every 1 giveaway!  That 80% to the positive! Early out,  I’m liking me some Jaskin!

Dowd is #2 at 13tka/7gva! That’s 13 out of 20! or  65% positive!
Hell, even Stephenson is in the + at 8tka/7gva!

Both Jaskin and Dowd are still #1, and #2, respectively in hits per TOI, for entire team!!

Stephenson scores a goal also, and the chemistry is starting to look good betwen these three!
Rierden is now looking at a line playing with more physicality, and best puck turnover numbers, hands down, than any other line!
This is how you keep your damn job!! Hats off to our 4th line!

Rush
Always hopeful, yet discontent -
He knows CHANGES aren’t permanent -
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”