Author Topic: GDT#23 Capitals @ Rangers 2:00 p.m. Sat Nov 24, 2018 NBCSWA, NHLN-US, MSG  (Read 25132 times)

Offline apace41

• Hockey Deity
Re: GDT#23 Capitals @ Rangers 2:00 p.m. Sat Nov 24, 2018 NBCSWA, NHLN-US, MSG
« Reply #100 on: Saturday November 24, 2018, 04:30:20 PM Eastern »
Good win. Nice 2 points.

Offline Surreylily

• I can start fire with two hard drives
  • Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #101 on: Saturday November 24, 2018, 04:30:27 PM Eastern »
Another good win after a very shaky start.   Good stuff.  I really like the fight back from our guys.

Maacoshark

« Reply #102 on: Saturday November 24, 2018, 04:33:49 PM Eastern »

Orlov, in the defensive end, looks like he's struggling to do even basic shit..
    Ya he has been pretty bad defensively all season.

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #103 on: Saturday November 24, 2018, 05:15:38 PM Eastern »
    Ya he has been pretty bad defensively all season.

Among the defensemen, I'd say Orlov has been the most disappointing.

Among the forwards, I'd say Eller.

Copley has appeared in 9 games a little over 1/4 of the way into the season, partially because of Holtby's injury.  He's now 5 - 2 - 1.  He's had 2 bad games out of 9: the Oct. 11 debacle in NJ where the entire team fell apart, and the recent game against Montreal, where he was pulled and Holtby bailed us out.  Other than that he's been decent to very good.  I'd say he's met/exceeded expectations for what we'd get out of the backup goalie, and he has been good enough thus far that he has helped rather than hurt our chances to make the playoffs in what looks like it might be a VERY tight playoff race.

The rest of the NHL could end up being VERY VERY sorry that the league office landed on Tom Wilson and essentially told him that he must focus more on technical hockey and lose the physicality.  IF (a BIG if) he were to keep playing like this, it would not be laughable to make a case for him as league MVP at the end of the season. 

Maacoshark

« Reply #104 on: Saturday November 24, 2018, 05:39:05 PM Eastern »

Copley has appeared in 9 games a little over 1/4 of the way into the season, partially because of Holtby's injury.  He's now 5 - 2 - 1.  He's had 2 bad games out of 9: the Oct. 11 debacle in NJ where the entire team fell apart, and the recent game against Montreal, where he was pulled and Holtby bailed us out.  Other than that he's been decent to very good.  I'd say he's met/exceeded expectations for what we'd get out of the backup goalie, and he has been good enough thus far that he has helped rather than hurt our chances to make the playoffs in what looks like it might be a VERY tight playoff race.

The rest of the NHL could end up being VERY VERY sorry that the league office landed on Tom Wilson and essentially told him that he must focus more on technical hockey and lose the physicality.  IF (a BIG if) he were to keep playing like this, it would not be laughable to make a case for him as league MVP at the end of the season.
     Maybe Copley has only had 2 bad games but he has had some other mediocre games. He wasnt spectacular today. He got caught out of position a few times today. He has been fine but I wouldnt want to rely on him if Holtby was out longterm.
    Eller is overrated. I dont understand the love for him. He has 2 or 3 good games and everyone falls in love with him. They give him a pass for the 10 or 12 bad games. All you have to do us look through his game logs. Its not pretty. He takes dumb penalties and makes poor decisions in the defensive zone. And while his strength is his possession, at times he hangs on to the puck too long as just ends up turning it over. And what really rubs me the wrong way us that smug look on his face. Every time I see a close up of him I want to beat this guy to a pulp.
     And Wilson. What can we say. He is playing some excellent hockey. He ius doing everything for this team.

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #105 on: Saturday November 24, 2018, 09:10:22 PM Eastern »
But, Maaco, Eller stepped up big time last postseason.  He was a huge reason we won the Cup.  And DC will tell you that's all that matters.  I sort of understand what you are saying about the look on Eller's face, but it is his natural look.  That is his face -- he can't do anything about it.

One thing that ought to be pointed out:  Sometimes it isn't just who you play, but at what point of the season you play them.  Detroit and the Rangers may not look great on paper, but prior to their game against the Caps Detroit had won 9 of their previous 11.  And the Rangers had won their last 7 games at home.  These are teams that are playing well and gaining confidence, and the Caps won both of them.  In that way, these games that are building the Caps' winning streak are more impressive than they may appear on the surface.

You're right about Copley:  He hasn't been a world-beater, but then, a backup goalie isn't supposed to be.  His expectation is not to dominate, but to keep you in the games he plays as best he can.  Our REAL issue is that Holtby hasn't been, either.  But I give Holtby somewhat of a pass.  He needs to save his playoff mojo for the playoffs.  You simply can't maintain a playoff level of goalie intensity through a 6 month season as well -- you just can't.  Combine that with the dramatic increase in scoring in the league this year and Holtby looks much more pedestrian.

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #106 on: Saturday November 24, 2018, 11:21:25 PM Eastern »

Conno is just becoming a veteran, being only 26.  And yes, he's a little too streaky and misses some lay-ups.  But like Vrana (though not as fast or talented) I think if you put Conno on a line that will 1) stay together more than 23 minutes, 2) has at least one GOOD set-up guy and 3) is generally a talented line (ie. doesn't have a blackhole like Burakovsky .. most nights ... on the other wing so other teams can load up on him and Lars) I think you would see him become more successful all the way around b/c we have all seen that the guy has the potential to have a real, high-end shot.

Hey dpf! How are ya? It’s been awhile.
I happen to like Connelly, especially for the money we get him for!! One reason for his being streaky is his offensive style.
You have a guy who almost always is hustling, but NOT an accurate shooter!
Since becoming a Cap, he has one of the SHORTEST average shot lengths on the team, meaning that when he does shoot, he is usually no farther than 10-12 feet away from the net! THAT does not happen by accident! He’s scrappy and has vastly improved his hockey IQ!
This is a factor that helps his style, because his signature is using the element of surprise, by shooting immediately when the puck arrives, rarely waiting for, or trying to get,  the biscuit to “settle”! He just has a knack for it!
The negative is that he’s not that accurate, as many times the puck will go wide, to one side or the other, BEFORE the goalie even realizes what’s happened! He has, IMO, evolved this quick shot style, to counter the effects of his inaccuracies, which I’m sure he’s aware of!
This keeps him in that 13-15 goal/yr range, which is mutually satisfactory to management, for the price he comes in at, and why he has become a solid starter for the team!

Rush
Always hopeful, yet discontent -
He knows CHANGES aren’t permanent -
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #107 on: Sunday November 25, 2018, 12:25:41 AM Eastern »
     Maybe Copley has only had 2 bad games but he has had some other mediocre games. He wasnt spectacular today. He got caught out of position a few times today. He has been fine but I wouldnt want to rely on him if Holtby was out longterm.
    Eller is overrated. I dont understand the love for him. He has 2 or 3 good games and everyone falls in love with him. They give him a pass for the 10 or 12 bad games. All you have to do us look through his game logs. Its not pretty. He takes dumb penalties and makes poor decisions in the defensive zone. And while his strength is his possession, at times he hangs on to the puck too long as just ends up turning it over. And what really rubs me the wrong way us that smug look on his face. Every time I see a close up of him I want to beat this guy to a pulp.
     And Wilson. What can we say. He is playing some excellent hockey. He ius doing everything for this team.

Hey Maaco!
Let me get the truly sincere props out first, before I crap all over your last Eller comments!!

Truly one of Carlson’s best games this year! His assists were invaluable, and suggested a level of peripheral observation, I don’t see from him very often! He also played a much better defensive game, as I witnessed him checking his guy in the crease, allowing better vision for Copley, and getting slightly physical on the boards! I was pleasantly surprised!!

Secondly, Carly’s post game interview was unique, compared to what I see from him normally! And I’ve watched him closely for years in postgame! He was astute, and addressed game play details more SPECIFICALLY than usual! Within this was a genuine humility that he has probably always had, but I just never noticed it before because his comments were usually so dry and mundane! He was actually informative, and likeable! I’d like to see more of it! So absolute credit, happily given, when credit is surely due to him!!

Now...on to your Eller comments! WARNING, buddy, this won’t be “shorthand”!!
I’ve no problem with your negative view of Lars Eller, at all!! It’s what you pepper in along with it, sometimes that is difficult to read, as a fellow poster here!

You may or may not care as to why you sometimes catch flack from a few of us here, from time to time, NOT the disagreement with your opinion type of comments, but when some others here, INCLUDING myself, have mentioned the condescending tone of some of your posts!  In other words, YOU’RE WELL AWARE OF IT!

I take issue with your sentences that start with, “He has 2 or 3 good games and EVERYONE falls in love with him”!  You go on to say that “they”, then “give him a pass” for 10 or 12 games!!

DO YOU SEE IT, GUY!! This idea that those of us here, in the Eller camp, (who just might have good hockey knowledge, also), IN YOUR VIEW, we must only possess the brain capacity to retain 2 or 3 games in our memories, THEN we become clueless, dipshits, for the next dozen games, and are thusly, too stupid to realize that Eller really sucks!!

Oh yeah, and thankfully, we have YOU, to point out our lack of longer-term perspective, which, of course, leaves us dependent on YOUR super-circumspect knowledge and recall of an entire season!!

AND...your mention of Ellers smug look, who knows, maybe so! For a guy who is a Carlson fan, the absolute poster boy for smug looks, shit-eating grins, and “angel-dust burnout”, type responses, I find it a bit ironic!

It’s all good, dude, to hate on Eller all you want. That’s no problem!
Try to stop sounding sometimes, like a condescending A-hole, with some of us here, who share a board with differing opinions, and may happen to also possess a decent hockey knowledge, like you!
It’s not like you haven’t been asked this before!

Thanks,

Rush

BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #108 on: Sunday November 25, 2018, 12:53:04 AM Eastern »

Hey Black!
Couple of real good observations! Especially about the new role that Willie has had “forced” on him!! His northward direction of improvement doesn’t seem to have an end! WOW!
Orlov has never really been a defensive Einstein, but he looks almost lost, half the time, or out of gas, or both!! LOL.
Haven’t seen him this bad, maybe ever, here! It also seems like the resulting negative aspects from his play are affecting us more frequently and deeper on the whole!

Anyway, good to pick up on the last two wins, as maybe more sinificant than meets the eye! Both of these teams in last two games, came in on a good roll, adding to more deserved credit for the wins, both also in REGULATION!!

Rush
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #109 on: Sunday November 25, 2018, 06:42:35 AM Eastern »
But, Maaco, Eller stepped up big time last postseason.  He was a huge reason we won the Cup.  And DC will tell you that's all that matters.  I sort of understand what you are saying about the look on Eller's face, but it is his natural look.  That is his face -- he can't do anything about it.

One thing that ought to be pointed out:  Sometimes it isn't just who you play, but at what point of the season you play them.  Detroit and the Rangers may not look great on paper, but prior to their game against the Caps Detroit had won 9 of their previous 11.  And the Rangers had won their last 7 games at home.  These are teams that are playing well and gaining confidence, and the Caps won both of them.  In that way, these games that are building the Caps' winning streak are more impressive than they may appear on the surface.

You're right about Copley:  He hasn't been a world-beater, but then, a backup goalie isn't supposed to be.  His expectation is not to dominate, but to keep you in the games he plays as best he can.  Our REAL issue is that Holtby hasn't been, either.  But I give Holtby somewhat of a pass.  He needs to save his playoff mojo for the playoffs.  You simply can't maintain a playoff level of goalie intensity through a 6 month season as well -- you just can't.  Combine that with the dramatic increase in scoring in the league this year and Holtby looks much more pedestrian.
No I wouldn’t. 
« Last Edit: Monday November 26, 2018, 08:29:22 AM Eastern by DC_1908 »

Offline Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #110 on: Sunday November 25, 2018, 09:06:14 AM Eastern »

Oh damn, Rush "LOVES" Carlson!!  :wackysmile: :uh-huh: :rofl:

Hey Maaco!
Let me get the truly sincere props out first,

Truly one of Carlson’s best games this year!

Thanks,

Rush

Maacoshark

« Reply #111 on: Sunday November 25, 2018, 09:11:16 AM Eastern »

Last season is over. As far as Eller goes Ive never been a fan but I lost all respect for him when he over celebrated the 7th goal of a 7-0 game. He embarrassed himself. And embarrassed himself again by letting a midget beat the crap out of him.

Maacoshark

« Reply #112 on: Sunday November 25, 2018, 09:35:01 AM Eastern »

Hey Maaco!
Let me get the truly sincere props out first, before I crap all over your last Eller comments!!

Truly one of Carlson’s best games this year! His assists were invaluable, and suggested a level of peripheral observation, I don’t see from him very often! He also played a much better defensive game, as I witnessed him checking his guy in the crease, allowing better vision for Copley, and getting slightly physical on the boards! I was pleasantly surprised!!

Secondly, Carly’s post game interview was unique, compared to what I see from him normally! And I’ve watched him closely for years in postgame! He was astute, and addressed game play details more SPECIFICALLY than usual! Within this was a genuine humility that he has probably always had, but I just never noticed it before because his comments were usually so dry and mundane! He was actually informative, and likeable! I’d like to see more of it! So absolute credit, happily given, when credit is surely due to him!!

Now...on to your Eller comments! WARNING, buddy, this won’t be “shorthand”!!
I’ve no problem with your negative view of Lars Eller, at all!! It’s what you pepper in along with it, sometimes that is difficult to read, as a fellow poster here!

You may or may not care as to why you sometimes catch flack from a few of us here, from time to time, NOT the disagreement with your opinion type of comments, but when some others here, INCLUDING myself, have mentioned the condescending tone of some of your posts!  In other words, YOU’RE WELL AWARE OF IT!

I take issue with your sentences that start with, “He has 2 or 3 good games and EVERYONE falls in love with him”!  You go on to say that “they”, then “give him a pass” for 10 or 12 games!!

DO YOU SEE IT, GUY!! This idea that those of us here, in the Eller camp, (who just might have good hockey knowledge, also), IN YOUR VIEW, we must only possess the brain capacity to retain 2 or 3 games in our memories, THEN we become clueless, dipshits, for the next dozen games, and are thusly, too stupid to realize that Eller really sucks!!

Oh yeah, and thankfully, we have YOU, to point out our lack of longer-term perspective, which, of course, leaves us dependent on YOUR super-circumspect knowledge and recall of an entire season!!

AND...your mention of Ellers smug look, who knows, maybe so! For a guy who is a Carlson fan, the absolute poster boy for smug looks, shit-eating grins, and “angel-dust burnout”, type responses, I find it a bit ironic!

It’s all good, dude, to hate on Eller all you want. That’s no problem!
Try to stop sounding sometimes, like a condescending A-hole, with some of us here, who share a board with differing opinions, and may happen to also possess a decent hockey knowledge, like you!
It’s not like you haven’t been asked this before!

Thanks,

Rush
      Tell you what. If you dont believe what I say about Eller then go through his game logs. There have been a lot more bad games than good games. He is an offensive player that doesnt produce consistently and his defensive game hasn't been very.
        I have already posted here that he has been on the ice for more goals against than any other Caps forward. Eller is a 3rd line center which is usually a checking center but we have to use Backstrom in that role probably hurting his offensive production 5 on 5.
     Eller only strength is his puck possession and most of the time he hangs on to the puck too long and ends up turning it over. Have you seen our pp since he has been on the first unit? He has been a turnover machine. He does not fit very well on that unit.
     Like I said in another post Ive never been a fan but I tolerated him. But I have lost all respect for him because of the incident in the Bruins game.
      Its funny that Carlson has been the whipping boy of a lot of people here. And you are OK with that. You are one of them. And I have no problem with Carlson being criticized when deserves it. The only difference in criticizing Eller is that he is earning the criticism.

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
« Reply #113 on: Sunday November 25, 2018, 12:31:57 PM Eastern »
Be careful what you ask for America; you just might get it.

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #114 on: Monday November 26, 2018, 12:33:42 AM Eastern »

Oh damn, Rush "LOVES" Carlson!!  :wackysmile: :uh-huh: :rofl:

LMFAO, Mick!!🤣🤣😂😂
OK, OK....You, Mick, the Great “Swami of Sarcasm”, has finally uncovered, and revealed, my long-kept, and deeply hidden, secret!!
I ADMIT IT!!  I suffer from “DYLANITIS”😆😆
It’s his tenacity, and physical grit, and the way he just MANHANDLES an opponent, that have drawn my affection over the years!!

I hereby stand, “called out”!!🤣😆🤣

(hilarious, buddy)!

Rush

BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #115 on: Monday November 26, 2018, 01:10:54 AM Eastern »
      Tell you what. If you dont believe what I say about Eller then go through his game logs. There have been a lot more bad games than good games. He is an offensive player that doesnt produce consistently and his defensive game hasn't been very.
        I have already posted here that he has been on the ice for more goals against than any other Caps forward. Eller is a 3rd line center which is usually a checking center but we have to use Backstrom in that role probably hurting his offensive production 5 on 5.
     Eller only strength is his puck possession and most of the time he hangs on to the puck too long and ends up turning it over. Have you seen our pp since he has been on the first unit? He has been a turnover machine. He does not fit very well on that unit.
     Like I said in another post Ive never been a fan but I tolerated him. But I have lost all respect for him because of the incident in the Bruins game.
      Its funny that Carlson has been the whipping boy of a lot of people here. And you are OK with that. You are one of them. And I have no problem with Carlson being criticized when deserves it. The only difference in criticizing Eller is that he is earning the criticism.

Well, Maaco, I believe I’ll use 2 posts. to respond to yours here. First, will be my initial take, when I first read your response above. The 2nd will deal with the substance of your comments!

So, I gotta tell ya, this was the image/vision, in my head, after reading your response, at first blush:

Imagine a 10 foot folding ladder, set up at the beginning of a landing runway, at any major airport!
Now, picture yourself standing at the top of the ladder, facing the planes that are coming in to land!
Now, there is a HUGE 747, with NO PASSENGERS, coming straight at you, to land, as you remain atop the ladder!
Approximately 20 feet above your head, it rushes overtop of you, with an incredible, and long sustaining WHOOOOOSSSHHH!!!
Now imagine that my post, that you quoted, is typed on a little, 3x5 card, and is the sole piece of cargo on that plane, as it GOES OVER YOUR HEAD!!!

Talk about not getting it, Maaco!! My GOD!🤣😂😂🤣🤣
(That’s about it. Honestly, I’m baffled on where to start with a coherent response)!

Rush

BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #116 on: Monday November 26, 2018, 08:35:49 AM Eastern »
    Last season is over. As far as Eller goes Ive never been a fan but I lost all respect for him when he over celebrated the 7th goal of a 7-0 game. He embarrassed himself. And embarrassed himself again by letting a midget beat the crap out of him.
Dont you know that its not Ellers, Djoos, Buras, Koozys or ANYONES fault except Holtby?

According to some, it seems our worthless piece of shit goalie isnt standing on his head and and being the best goalie in the world so the skaters can entertain the masses, which is why it only looks like our team sucks.

You know the sage expert hockey analysis:  Always blame the goalie! 

Offline Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #117 on: Monday November 26, 2018, 08:58:53 AM Eastern »

LMFAO, Mick!!🤣🤣😂😂

I hereby stand, “called out”!!🤣😆🤣

Rush

No worries brother, I currently have a slight crush on him myself.  :rofl: 

Quote from: DC_1908
Dont you know that its not Ellers, Djoos, Buras, Koozys or ANYONES fault except Holtby?

:huh: I hear ya, but you should bottle this up and save it for when we're actually sucking..

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #118 on: Monday November 26, 2018, 11:47:20 AM Eastern »

Just watched the last several games and it is hard to get worked up at this point.

Eller - love his skills but he should score more and is inconsistent - like almost everyone else on the team.

Orlov - one of my favorites, but he has been in the league long enough now to stop making stupid defensive players.  If he wants/needs to get away with that, he should really crank up his offensive game, which he has the skills to do.

Copley - better than I thought he was and good for the organization to get him back.

Bowey - seems to be leveling off after a good start. I hope he keeps progressing - could be a top 4 dman - which I never thought I would say.

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
« Reply #119 on: Monday November 26, 2018, 04:14:04 PM Eastern »

Well, Maaco, I believe I’ll use 2 posts. to respond to yours here. First, will be my initial take, when I first read your response above. The 2nd will deal with the substance of your comments!

So, I gotta tell ya, this was the image/vision, in my head, after reading your response, at first blush:

Imagine a 10 foot folding ladder, set up at the beginning of a landing runway, at any major airport!
Now, picture yourself standing at the top of the ladder, facing the planes that are coming in to land!
Now, there is a HUGE 747, with NO PASSENGERS, coming straight at you, to land, as you remain atop the ladder!
Approximately 20 feet above your head, it rushes overtop of you, with an incredible, and long sustaining WHOOOOOSSSHHH!!!
Now imagine that my post, that you quoted, is typed on a little, 3x5 card, and is the sole piece of cargo on that plane, as it GOES OVER YOUR HEAD!!!

Talk about not getting it, Maaco!! My GOD!🤣😂😂🤣🤣
(That’s about it. Honestly, I’m baffled on where to start with a coherent response)!

Rush

I thought I said it more eloquently, but that too was likely a

and therefore the need for you to spell it out.
 :huh:
Be careful what you ask for America; you just might get it.