Author Topic: GDT#40 Devils @ Capitals Dec 30, 2017 7:00pm EST NBCSPW  (Read 16969 times)

Online richkrt99

• Oh, I'm the Hillbilly alrighty!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
Re: GDT#40 Devils @ Capitals Dec 30, 2017 7:00pm EST NBCSPW
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday January 02, 2018, 02:56:50 PM Eastern »
I can't see how anyone who regularly watches entire games regularly and consistently could seriously say Carlson is a Norris candidate.  He has some good stats and he is not "BAD" but he aint Great neither.  Someone (Rush?) said it....he has more opportunity because of the team he is on.  Put Orlov on the PP and give him Carlson minutes with the top lines and I bet Orlov shines.  I wonder sometimes if DC isn't closer to right (well let's not get carried away) and it's all marketing.  They market Carlson as a top tier D man who should be a Norris candidate....therefore he is perceived that way.
I just don't see it.  I'm not saying he is bad....just not as good as he is perceived or marketed to be.  He as always been overvalued in my eyes, and my point last year(S) was why not trade him at that over inflated value while you could actually get more than his worth in return.  Hind site 20/20 and all, but just like most players we will eventually lose him and not get anything in return....OR just overpay him and suffer with his contract for years to come as our overpaid D man (who doesn't hit anyone, misses the net, has no killer instinct).  Yeah, that's what this team needs...an Old, overpaid, Marshmallow Pylon. 

I would have left Carlson unprotected for the expansion draft and kept Schmidt.  Easy to say that now that Schmidt is having a great year.  I always liked Schmidt, but DID NOT consider him a top line D guy last year (yet).  I don't think he showed that last year.  I do think he showed he had the most potential to improve of ANY of our roster (D) and eventually would be a top line D, but we've seen plenty of "potential" turn to.....shit.  Can you say shit here?

Hell, I would have left Orpik and Carlson both unprotected (because you couldn't lose both).  Vegas wouldn't touch Orpik's contract, and if they did...more the better, free up cap space with which we could have resigned Alzner (or an actual elite Dman)
I think they overpaid Orlov because of the loss of Alzner/Schmidt.  Also a reason they had to protect Niskanen.
At the end of last year, I felt Nisky was our best D, Orpik was old and slow and needed a miracle trade somehow to dump his salary.  Figured Karl was gone no matter what, I would have resigned Orlov, but not for that $$$, but is what it is - I really think we HAD to sign him at that point.  I would have protected Nisky, Orlov and Scmidt.  Orlov has been better than I figured this year....doesn't make those total brain fart plays as often, and he has some skills....plus he does lay a hit now and then.  Orpik has been better this year also.  He is painfully slow, but can still be effective.  I was really hoping one of our young D would take the opportunity and shine and have a early break out, but I don't see it.  Nisky has had his worst year this year....hoping that is injury related and he returns to better form.

Anyway....got carried away (again)    Rant, rant, rant.....blah, blah, blah,

Go CAPS!

FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Offline justwincaps

• Advanced Member
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday January 02, 2018, 04:47:29 PM Eastern »
Agree with you on Carlson.   He's good, not great. I heard Locker mention him as a Norris candidate and I just about fell out of the chair. 

Disagree, sort of, about Orlov being overpaid.   I really don't think GMBM had much of an option but to pay him.  He couldn't afford to lose 3 [4 if you count Shittenpants] of his D-men in one year.  Plus,  I really like the trajectory he is on.  His offense skillset is blossoming, his minutes are improving, and, you're right, fewer brain farts.  I like his upside and I'm OK paying for his upside.  Would love to see him at the point on the PP to see what he could do.   If people think Carlson brings value to the PP in shooting to keep the D honest about Ovechkin, imagine what someone with Orlov's cannon could do - plus, he can't possibly miss as often as Carlson does.

I think Montreal is experiencing what a lot of us knew was already happening, Alzner's best days are behind him.  He has lost a step, and he doesn't have the speed to afford to lose a step.  An aging, slowing, soft, stay at home defenseman is not going to make it in this league the way it is changing.

Niskanen needs to get his head out of his backside.  He's made more bonehead plays this year than I can remember him ever making. 

As much as I love Schmitty, there's no way you could leave Carlson exposed to protect him.   He looks great in Las Vegas [that whole team is fun as hell to watch] but he was a 6/7 D-man last year.

Online richkrt99

• Oh, I'm the Hillbilly alrighty!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #62 on: Friday January 05, 2018, 05:47:40 PM Eastern »
Pretty much agree with everything you said...

Yeah I reread my post (rant) and I'd say I was not really as upset with the Orlov deal as most.  In a couple years that contract won't look that bad.  I agree with you that GM pretty much HAD to sign him and figure they both knew it.

Alzner...I'd agree.  He had been great for us, but can't see paying him what he would have demanded - especially the way the game has become faster.  I don't miss him as much as I thought we would.

Nisky - Oofah!  WTF.  I thought everyone was being hard on him this year, but he really has been not so good.  I hope that turns around.

What are they paying Schmitty?  Which contract/player would you prefer to have NEXT year....Carlson's or Schmitty's?
Sadly I think losing him was just result of circumstance and not a conscious decision by staff.  I remember arguing last year he was NOT a top D man yet (and being lambasted for it) at the end of the season.  Great guy and love to still have him and develop here, but the amount of nasty spew from the boards about losing him and how great he was...was overstated IMO.

FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Maacoshark

« Reply #63 on: Friday January 05, 2018, 06:03:04 PM Eastern »
I like Orlov. I think he is the future of this core. I still Carlson is a bit better but Orlov has closed the gap. Whether or not you think Carlson is a Norris candidate, we still need to sign him because of the lack of options. We have no one ready to step up and there are no top end UFA dmen. Carlson could end up holding us for ransom.

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #64 on: Saturday January 06, 2018, 12:43:59 AM Eastern »
I think something went wrong with Carlson development. He was a top talented D, first round pick, started strong. He got many thing for granted. If he worked as Datsyuk he could be a top notch D in the league. He never fought for his place in NHL, when he came to Caps, there wasn't much competition for him.

Maacoshark

« Reply #65 on: Saturday January 06, 2018, 11:30:58 AM Eastern »
I think something went wrong with Carlson development. He was a top talented D, first round pick, started strong. He got many thing for granted. If he worked as Datsyuk he could be a top notch D in the league. He never fought for his place in NHL, when he came to Caps, there wasn't much competition for him.
   You could be right. He didnt have a lot of competition to compete with here. I also think too much was expected from him. I know he was a first round pick but it was a later first round pick. I think 23rd. Find it odd that our expectations for Alzner  weren't very high and he was a top 5 pick.
    I know people here dont like him but I think we need to try and keep him. Sounds like the Caps feel the same way as they had discussions with Carlson already.

Rush

« Reply #66 on: Saturday January 06, 2018, 11:16:05 PM Eastern »
Hey Raven! Totally agree on your Datsyuk work ethic comparison to Carlson’s, and agree, as well, as to  Carlson’s lack of fight/drive!  Really good points!!
Now for a little fun!.....Forgive me, buddy, I just can’t resist!
Something did cause Carlson’s development to go wrong. It’s a molecular compound called THC!! LOL!
It accumulates in the synaptic vesicles of nerve cells, slowing the response time of electrical transmission signals, from the brain, to the muscle fiber cells. Culminating in markedly slower reaction times, and delayed decision making!!
.......IN OTHER WORDS..........some symptomatic examples for an NHL hockey defenseman, of Mr. Carlson’s general height, weight, and build,  just might be.......OH, I dunno...... maybe, arriving late to the crease, slower skating relative to others on the ice, poor passing from lack of attention to detail, late returns to the bench after shift change, with possible penalty for too many men on ice, getting easily passed by opponent when racing to boards for puck possession, having more than twice the number of giveaways, over takeaways, appearing dumbfounded when opponents start cycling puck in your zone, dishing out the least number of hits of any starting defenseman, highest missed shot percentage on the team, of anyone who has scored at least 1 goal, a non-reactive facial expression when he gets gets scored on, ( too high to get angry ), and his famous “barely lucid”, post game interviews!  YEAH, I’d say there were some development issues!
That Norris trophy, will make a great place for him to hide his STASH, for years to come. And let’s not forget, at probably 6-7 mil/year, wherever he goes!!
Let’s remember some here who say we have to keep him, because there is no replacement for him!!
REALLY????   WOW!!!!!
Thanks for motivating me to post tonite Raven!

Rush

Rush

« Reply #67 on: Saturday January 06, 2018, 11:37:42 PM Eastern »
I can't see how anyone who regularly watches entire games regularly and consistently could seriously say Carlson is a Norris candidate.  He has some good stats and he is not "BAD" but he aint Great neither.  Someone (Rush?) said it....he has more opportunity because of the team he is on.  Put Orlov on the PP and give him Carlson minutes with the top lines and I bet Orlov shines.  I wonder sometimes if DC isn't closer to right (well let's not get carried away) and it's all marketing.  They market Carlson as a top tier D man who should be a Norris candidate....therefore he is perceived that way.
I just don't see it.  I'm not saying he is bad....just not as good as he is perceived or marketed to be.  He as always been overvalued in my eyes, and my point last year(S) was why not trade him at that over inflated value while you could actually get more than his worth in return.  Hind site 20/20 and all, but just like most players we will eventually lose him and not get anything in return....OR just overpay him and suffer with his contract for years to come as our overpaid D man (who doesn't hit anyone, misses the net, has no killer instinct).  Yeah, that's what this team needs...an Old, overpaid, Marshmallow Pylon. 

I would have left Carlson unprotected for the expansion draft and kept Schmidt.  Easy to say that now that Schmidt is having a great year.  I always liked Schmidt, but DID NOT consider him a top line D guy last year (yet).  I don't think he showed that last year.  I do think he showed he had the most potential to improve of ANY of our roster (D) and eventually would be a top line D, but we've seen plenty of "potential" turn to.....shit.  Can you say shit here?

Hell, I would have left Orpik and Carlson both unprotected (because you couldn't lose both).  Vegas wouldn't touch Orpik's contract, and if they did...more the better, free up cap space with which we could have resigned Alzner (or an actual elite Dman)
I think they overpaid Orlov because of the loss of Alzner/Schmidt.  Also a reason they had to protect Niskanen.
At the end of last year, I felt Nisky was our best D, Orpik was old and slow and needed a miracle trade somehow to dump his salary.  Figured Karl was gone no matter what, I would have resigned Orlov, but not for that $$$, but is what it is - I really think we HAD to sign him at that point.  I would have protected Nisky, Orlov and Scmidt.  Orlov has been better than I figured this year....doesn't make those total brain fart plays as often, and he has some skills....plus he does lay a hit now and then.  Orpik has been better this year also.  He is painfully slow, but can still be effective.  I was really hoping one of our young D would take the opportunity and shine and have a early break out, but I don't see it.  Nisky has had his worst year this year....hoping that is injury related and he returns to better form.

Anyway....got carried away (again)    Rant, rant, rant.....blah, blah, blah,

Go CAPS!
A RANT Rich, maybe, but a damn good RANT! Keep up the good work!
I find myself agreeing with you a helluva lot.
I like what Orly has been doing, especially his obvious progression, from the start of this season, where it started appearing like he was regressing to the old Orlov stupidity! He has really caught some fire, AND Trotz’s attention, as he is receiving more even strength TOI than #74!!
Nisky has a few goals, but has been quite disappointing, especially in mental mistakes and turnovers!
Orpik, (although it’s a given that he is overpaid, at this point), has surprised me with his efforts, still having the most hits, as his age grows and speed diminishes! He generally, gives us his all!!
Most definitely agree that Carly should have been exposed to Vegas over  Schmidt! I don’t believe GMGM, in Vegas, would have even CONSIDERED John Carlson as a selection, forcing him to possibly take Gruby, and to have decided, along with Fleury, who he would keep, and who he would deal for good $$$!
Anyway, that’s my two cents.TTYL

Rush

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #68 on: Sunday January 07, 2018, 12:26:26 AM Eastern »
About Schmidt, I was really disappointed when discovered he is not with Caps. I really liked his heart attacks!:) The guy lobes hockey! I think he was a good example of good development, same for Olov. And it also means that our coaching staff do their job.