Author Topic: 2 down.. Carlson "day to day"  (Read 3524 times)

Online Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
2 down.. Carlson "day to day"
« on: Friday November 09, 2018, 10:24:24 AM Eastern »
Well, with Orpik out, now it looks like Carlson will miss some time.. "Day to day" with a lower body injury..  :-\

https://twitter.com/CapitalsPR/status/1060913408529387526

*Place Orpik on Long term IR.. (Needs to miss at least 5 more games)
*Recall Ness and Siegenthaler

D lines:
Kempny-Niskanen
[/size]Orlov-Djoos [/color]
[/size]Siegenthaler-Bowey[/color]

Offline BlackIce

Re: 2 down.. Carlson "day to day"
« Reply #1 on: Friday November 09, 2018, 11:26:26 AM Eastern »
The Caps have been EXTREMELY fortunate injury-wise the past couple of years.  One place I've heard this is in commentators' remarks that young players haven't had all that much chance to be brought up even for a cup of coffee in the recent past because the regular lineup has been so durable.

Maybe it isn't going to be that way this season.  So, let's see what happens.  It won't necessarily be a bad thing for Orpik to miss 10+ games anyway -- he'll be fresher for later in the season, when the sledding will likely get tougher.  The real question is, who will take over for Carlson on the PP.  Niskanen figures to be the first option, but I'd really like to see Bowey get a shot.  It's probably going to be a RH defenseman on the #1 PP because of the predominant cycling mechanism it employs and the emphasis on getting the puck in Ovie's wheelhouse.

Maacoshark

« Reply #2 on: Friday November 09, 2018, 11:30:44 AM Eastern »
    This news might make some members here happy.

Not good. He could be getting worn out. He is playing a lot of minutes and is carrying this defence.
     I dont like the Seigenhalter or Ness callups. Seigenhalter has been terrible with Hershey this season and we all know about Ness. They had better options. I would have called up Hobbs or Lewington to fill in for Carlson. Instead they move Djoos to Carlson's spot and then bring in Seigenhalter. I'm not a Djoos fan and I like him even less playing on his weak side.
     This would have been a good chance to see if Hobbs has the tools to be an NHL defence man. He can skate, he can play physical and can fight and he does have an NHL calibre shot. He needs to work on his defensive game and decision making but is Seigenhalter a better option.
     I think Hobbs could have played Carlson's spot on the pp.

Offline 4 Caps

« Reply #3 on: Friday November 09, 2018, 03:56:25 PM Eastern »
I think Siegenthaler was called up because of his play in the pre-season.  He looked really good and came close to making the team out of training camp.  I am excited to see how he does, he apparently hasn’t been that good in Hershey but that could be because he was disappointed in getting sent down. It could be tough tonight with 2 defenseman having played less than 100NHL games and another one making his NHL debut.  Columbus is a strong team so this could be a long night.  Hopefully, Carlson will be back Sunday. 

Offline richkrt99

• Oh, I'm the Hillbilly alrighty!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #4 on: Friday November 09, 2018, 04:59:48 PM Eastern »
Geez.  I missed the Carlson injury.  Was that during the Hens game or just announced?

I was gonna be a smart ass and say somebody better talk Maaco down from the ledge, but I'm too late - he's already heard the news. :P

Carlson has been our best defenseman this year and even played with a little more grit (for Carlson)
I still give him (him being the Carlson/Maaco unit) grief whenever possible, but I am definitely in the pro-Carlson camp now.  (I must be drinking the Maaco kool-aid)

Seriously though, this is gonna show how weak we are on D.  Carlson eats up tons of minutes. I like Nisky (even though he is not having his best year), and Orlov I thought showed improvement last year (and sucking it up lately), but I don't think either can take on MORE serious minutes.  Nisky or Orlov probably have the skills to temp on the PP, but all of Carlson's regular minutes and PK minutes are gonna hurt to fill.

Bowey has looked good the last few games.  Djoos....IMO never deserves a roster spot on an NHL team.  You simply can't play effective D (and I mean DEFENSE) in the NHL and weigh 160 lbs.  He gets pushed around, and it is D's job to push other people around.  He's weaker on the puck than Bearo.

Actually, I thought resigning Orpik was brilliant....(at that salary) and he provides some grit - even on a part time basis.  I think he brings alot more to THIS team than you see on the ice.
With Orpik and Wilson both out, who the heck is supposed to provide the toughness?  Good thing Eller is in the lineup  :lol:

I guess this will give some of the younger guys a chance to play, but this could get ugly.
I think I would bring up Lewington just for the toughness.  I guess Ness has some toughness too, right?

With 6 D, they are all going get some serious minutes....and THAT is saying Djoos is in the top 4  ::)

I don't like the Orlov / Djoos pairing.  Orlov isn't responsible enough to cover for Djoos, but I guess your "top" pairing of Nisky/Kempny will get the shut down work.

Poor Holtby - sure hope he brings his three best friends again tonight...Lefty, Righty and that horseshoe up his ass.  He's going to need them.

Go Caps

FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK