Author Topic: Wilson gets 20 god damn games..  (Read 34298 times)

Offline BlackIce

Re: Wilson gets 20 god damn games..
« Reply #80 on: Thursday October 25, 2018, 10:54:15 PM Eastern »
This whole thing really pisses me off.  Not just the NHL dithering, more so the lack of judgement by Willy.
I can understand the NHL's stance - to a certain degree, but yhey should just make a decision already.
TBH, I'm more upset with Willy.

He knows he's a marked man by the refs.  He KNOWS!  Ovi is the same.  Marked and always watched very carefully.  Ovi has had some pretty .... meh.... how to put it: - borderline (?)  plays in his career, but he cleaned them up.  Holy crap, he gets an outomatic suspension if he tucks his shirt in his corset, even though other players, even in his own team are allowed to do it.  Stupid, stupid, stupid, I know.  Exactly.  But that's the way it is.  Ovi has adapted and has become, not just one of the best scorers generationally, but one of the best scorers of all time, in spite of all the NHL's BS.
Willy worries me now.  He has such a huge target on him.  He has had for a while.  He KNOWS this!  The O'Hallorans, the O'Rourkes and the like, who do the opposite of giving him the benefit of the doubt and even seem to fabricate misdemeanors, they must be laughing their heads off now.  Willy has absolutely NOT deserved everything he's got.
However.
He KNOWS he's a marked man and to do something as reckless as this was just plain stupid.  When is he going to bloody well learn?Other teams can just glide by him now, blow him kisses and there's nothing he can do about it.
A few years ago, someone was banned from the NHL.  I can't remember who, but it was because of too many suspensions, I believe.  A lifetime ban.  I'm sure I read that somewhere.   ...   ?
I think the 20 games is excessive, expecially considering many of his penalties were bogus.  Maybe that's what the NHL is trying to determine?

Whilst he's on his holidays, I hope Willy grows another brain cell.   (Ō_ƆŎ)

(Preferably somewhere more north of his current hemishpere.).

Just sayin

I'll tell you why I think Wilson did what he did re:  Sundqvist.  Look at the tape.  Sundqvist is coming down the wing and suddenly cuts toward the center of the ice.  Meanwhile, Wilson is coasting diagonally from near center ice toward his defensive zone, reading the play.  He isn't skating pell-mell toward Sundqvist with the intent of flattening him -- he's coasting.  All of a sudden, in the space of a second, Sundqvist is right in his sights.  Yes, it is always possible that Wilson could have gone to some lengths to avoid him.  But that isn't in his DNA.  When an opportunity to get in a perfectly legal hit (and the NHL made it clear that Sundqvist was eligible to be checked on that play) presents itself, a guy like Wilson is going to take it.  If Sundqvist had continued down the wing rather than cutting to the center of the ice this check never would have happened.

Now please understand, by saying this I'm not trying to blame Sundqvist in any way.  Obviously, he has a right to skate wherever he wants on the ice.  What I AM saying is that this was no premeditated kill shot by a predatory Tom Wilson, as his detractors would want to claim.  It was a hockey circumstance that came up virtually in an instant, in a way that happens countless times every game, which gave a guy who likes the hitting part of the game an opportunity which he had to decide in a split second whether or not to take.  Knowing Tom Wilson, we all KNOW what decision he's going to make, preseason, regular season, postseason -- it doesn't matter.  One thing Tom Wilson does -- he plays the game he knows.  Wilson hit him in what even the league admits was a legitimate hockey play.  It turned out to be a hockey play that went bad, and the League's take on Wilson right now is that he is not allowed to have any hockey plays he makes go bad.  He is in one-strike-and-you're-out territory, literally.

If Tom Wilson wants to continue playing a physical game (which I cannot imagine him not wanting to do), then he is going to have to adjust his hitting so that there is no chance he makes anything that could be construed as primary contact with an opponent's head (which I'm not sure was the primary point of the Sundqvist contact based on the physics of what happened afterward, as I discussed elsewhere).  One thing he could do is, when he hits someone, to lower his shoulder like an NFL running back "finishing a run."  I just don't want to hear the NHL complain if he does that and some opponent is out for the rest of the season with broken ribs.

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #81 on: Friday October 26, 2018, 12:32:22 AM Eastern »

I'll tell you why I think Wilson did what he did re:  Sundqvist.  Look at the tape.  Sundqvist is coming down the wing and suddenly cuts toward the center of the ice.  Meanwhile, Wilson is coasting diagonally from near center ice toward his defensive zone, reading the play.  He isn't skating pell-mell toward Sundqvist with the intent of flattening him -- he's coasting.  All of a sudden, in the space of a second, Sundqvist is right in his sights.  Yes, it is always possible that Wilson could have gone to some lengths to avoid him.  But that isn't in his DNA.  When an opportunity to get in a perfectly legal hit (and the NHL made it clear that Sundqvist was eligible to be checked on that play) presents itself, a guy like Wilson is going to take it.  If Sundqvist had continued down the wing rather than cutting to the center of the ice this check never would have happened.

Now please understand, by saying this I'm not trying to blame Sundqvist in any way.  Obviously, he has a right to skate wherever he wants on the ice.  What I AM saying is that this was no premeditated kill shot by a predatory Tom Wilson, as his detractors would want to claim.  It was a hockey circumstance that came up virtually in an instant, in a way that happens countless times every game, which gave a guy who likes the hitting part of the game an opportunity which he had to decide in a split second whether or not to take.  Knowing Tom Wilson, we all KNOW what decision he's going to make, preseason, regular season, postseason -- it doesn't matter.  One thing Tom Wilson does -- he plays the game he knows.  Wilson hit him in what even the league admits was a legitimate hockey play.  It turned out to be a hockey play that went bad, and the League's take on Wilson right now is that he is not allowed to have any hockey plays he makes go bad.  He is in one-strike-and-you're-out territory, literally.

If Tom Wilson wants to continue playing a physical game (which I cannot imagine him not wanting to do), then he is going to have to adjust his hitting so that there is no chance he makes anything that could be construed as primary contact with an opponent's head (which I'm not sure was the primary point of the Sundqvist contact based on the physics of what happened afterward, as I discussed elsewhere).  One thing he could do is, when he hits someone, to lower his shoulder like an NFL running back "finishing a run."  I just don't want to hear the NHL complain if he does that and some opponent is out for the rest of the season with broken ribs.

Fantastic comment on the overall Wilson picture, Black!
I agree about the way Wilson is wired. Also agree that his intention is NOT to cause injury.
Many of his “suspension” hits have truly been borderline, marked by last second posture changes by the unfortunate opponent on the receiving end, with Willy attempting a legal hit!
It’s right of you to point out his “one strike” situation now, with NHL officials.
He’s a decent and big guy, trying to play within the rules, wired for a tough physical game, but who MUST recognize the predicament he is in!
Unfortunately, It will require a change, by him, in both self awareness, and technique. A tall order, for a guy wired in the way we like to see hockey played!
I hope he “gets it” sooner than later!
Good post, Black!

Rush

Always hopeful, yet discontent -
He knows CHANGES aren’t permanent -
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #82 on: Friday October 26, 2018, 08:20:32 AM Eastern »
The NHL, and particularly NBC, has had it out for Wilson since year one.  Theyve had a narrative about what a “dangerous and dirty” player he is since he was rookie.

The past history is bull shit, the so called hit is bullshit, the injury is bull shit, this about the narrative about Tom Wilson and The NHL wants to market how good(crooked) the is at “punishing bad guys and cleaning(fagging) up the game”

Offline Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #83 on: Friday October 26, 2018, 07:36:43 PM Eastern »

So, next Wednesday (Oct 31st) is the appeal to a "Neutral Arbitrator" Any idea how long "they" take to rule?? Looks like game 10 is tomorrow, then a 4 day break, then appx. 19 more days until the last 10 games (of the suspension) are played.. Unless they really REALLY want to fuck with him, he should know something long before the 20 game are up? 10 games/time served, see ya in Montreal, sounds good to me!  :wackysmile:

https://novacapsfans.com/2018/10/26/tom-wilson-files-an-appeal-to-a-neutral-arbitrator-hearing-to-take-place-on-wednesday/

Maacoshark

« Reply #84 on: Friday October 26, 2018, 08:10:45 PM Eastern »
The NHL, and particularly NBC, has had it out for Wilson since year one.  Theyve had a narrative about what a “dangerous and dirty” player he is since he was rookie.

The past history is bull shit, the so called hit is bullshit, the injury is bull shit, this about the narrative about Tom Wilson and The NHL wants to market how good(crooked) the is at “punishing bad guys and cleaning(fagging) up the game”
     They have it in for Wilson because they dont want physical play in the NHL. The NHL has become nothing but whiny bitches. This generation of players are nothing but pussys. Every year there is less physicality in the league. The league is full of pussys that skate down the middle of the ice with their heads down doing toedrags and spin moves. These players are able to do this because no one will hit them. Tom Wilson is the one disruptive force that is getting in the way of the new Pussy Hockey League. The NHL is becoming hard to watch. That game against Edmonton and the game against Vancouver were fucking boring. Tortarella comments about the new NHL is 100% correct.

Offline justwincaps

• Advanced Member
« Reply #85 on: Friday October 26, 2018, 09:24:06 PM Eastern »
     They have it in for Wilson because they dont want physical play in the NHL. The NHL has become nothing but whiny bitches. This generation of players are nothing but pussys. Every year there is less physicality in the league. The league is full of pussys that skate down the middle of the ice with their heads down doing toedrags and spin moves. These players are able to do this because no one will hit them. Tom Wilson is the one disruptive force that is getting in the way of the new Pussy Hockey League. The NHL is becoming hard to watch. That game against Edmonton and the game against Vancouver were fucking boring. Tortarella comments about the new NHL is 100% correct.

Holy crap - could’ve sworn I was reading a post from DC.

Maacoshark

« Reply #86 on: Friday October 26, 2018, 11:39:01 PM Eastern »

Holy crap - could’ve sworn I was reading a post from DC.
   Sorry for the rant. I'm giving the new style of play a fair chance. I'm fine with the speed of the game. I'm fine with puck moving dmen. But the lack of physical play and defensive hockey I'm having a problem with. Wtf is a guy like Djoos even doing in the NHL? He is the softest defenceman in the NHL. Watch the guy in a battle along the boards. He will back away and then try to stick check. Use your fucking body. The whole league is going in this direction.
     I really dont like the direction our team is headed with offense only system. Our forwards have been leaving the zone early to try creating more offensive chances but vat the expense of the defense. And we are even putting our offensive minded players on the pk. Well that move isnt really working. Our pk sucks.

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #87 on: Saturday October 27, 2018, 10:48:48 AM Eastern »
   Sorry for the rant. I'm giving the new style of play a fair chance. I'm fine with the speed of the game. I'm fine with puck moving dmen. But the lack of physical play and defensive hockey I'm having a problem with. Wtf is a guy like Djoos even doing in the NHL? He is the softest defenceman in the NHL. Watch the guy in a battle along the boards. He will back away and then try to stick check. Use your fucking body. The whole league is going in this direction.
     I really dont like the direction our team is headed with offense only system. Our forwards have been leaving the zone early to try creating more offensive chances but vat the expense of the defense. And we are even putting our offensive minded players on the pk. Well that move isnt really working. Our pk sucks.

Patience, Maaco.  October isn't even over yet.  We have to see how this shakes out over the longer term.  If forwards are leaving the zone earlier, it may be because the new coaching team is instructing them to do it that way.  Or maybe they are asking the players to be A BIT more aggressive in leaving the zone and some players are overreacting.  The level of chance-taking can be adjusted as the season goes along.  As for the offensive-minded players on the PK, (1) Reirden said he wanted to try that; and (2) With Beagle no longer around and Wilson suspended major PK minutes among the forwards have to be covered somehow, and Dowd is no Beagle on the PK.  Some of this will straighten out when Wilson returns.

I am looking forward to seeing Bowey on the back line in place of Djoos.  Beyond the need to upgrade size-wise, Bowey IS a natural RH, right-side defenseman, so it's good to have a 3rd one in the lineup.  And beyond that, it does Bowey no good to be sitting on the sidelines for game after game.  He needs to play.

The biggest problem I have with the modern game is that it seems so scattershot at times.  There are fewer passes connecting, much of the play is designed around moving the puck to open space and having people chase it, and it seems as though sometimes during the game the puck will be pinballing in the neutral zone for minutes at a time.  The game looks and feels much less organized to me.

Maacoshark

« Reply #88 on: Saturday October 27, 2018, 12:39:41 PM Eastern »
    Agree that our problems this year are more coaching than personnel.

Online richkrt99

• Oh, I'm the Hillbilly alrighty!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #89 on: Monday October 29, 2018, 09:29:36 AM Eastern »
So, WHEN does this 3rd party arbitration process actually begin?

I mean I know the NHL wants to drag it out as long as possible, but isn't a neutral third party, supposed to be neutral?  And shouldn't the players union be screaming bloody murder about the obvious delay tactics involved?

I'm not expecting it to happen overnight, but honestly, you know it was coming, and once it begins, exactly how long does it take to review?  How much time do you think is reasonable to assign an arbitrator and then to have that arbitrator review tape?  Even if you review tape for three days and take three days to decide, you should be able to wrap it up in a week.  (Well, you SHOULD be able to wrap it up in day or two)

Why does this process take so long other then intentional delay?.  And how does that help the image of the NHL?  It's supposed to be about player safety, not politics.  Delaying and delaying does NOT help player safety, it only drags out the process and makes the NHL look like petty sore whiney bosses who know they are up to somethings.  This is bad for all parties involved.  Just creates animosity between NHL management and the players and the union and the teams AND THE FANS.

I mean the DPS took what, 3 days to make the initial suspension?  By NHL taking three weeks, it just makes the DPS look inadequate.  Are you (NHL) saying you believe the DPS is not competent, and not as thorough in their review and assessment?  Or are you saying you (NHL) require three times as much time to review the DPS decision because YOU are not competent?

I mean if its twenty games, so be it, but it SHOULD NOT TAKE 20 games to decide it's twenty games.  You are making a mockery of the process and thereby invalidating it.

FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Offline Mickstix

• Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #90 on: Monday October 29, 2018, 12:06:08 PM Eastern »
So, WHEN does this 3rd party arbitration process actually begin?

Wednesday. No clue how long it takes to complete.

Maacoshark

« Reply #91 on: Monday October 29, 2018, 08:32:15 PM Eastern »

Wednesday. No clue how long it takes to complete.
    I figure it will take another week after that. This whole appeal system is a fucking joke. It should go straight to an arbitrator.
    I'm pissed about Wilson committing this infraction. What pisses me off even more though is that the league isnt treating all hits the same. There are a lot of illegal hits go the head going unpunished.

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #92 on: Tuesday October 30, 2018, 12:40:08 AM Eastern »

Hell, buddy, I feel a lot of us “old schoolers” have already given the new hockey a fair chance!

For those of us longer term hockey fans, who’ve been fortunate enough to witness plenty of old-school hockey, back in the day, it’s been a long suffering, and frustrating ride, watching the slo-mo erosion of both physicality, and fundamentals, from our once beloved NHL hockey games!

For me personally, the dilemma comes from two, main, contradictory thoughts, that often alternate occupancy in my brain, while watching an NHL game these days!

One side has hope for the game, watching with intense scrutiny, looking for little tidbits and proofs of gritty play, teamwork, hustle, and man to man physical competition! It sure soothes the soul!

The other side watches with a feeling of being “duped”, being forced into a choice of either grudgingly accepting what is now offered as the new NHL hockey “product”, OR, giving a fat middle finger to the entire thing, in the same philosophy as not accepting or purchasing an inferior product!

I resent having to accept this softer game, but on balance, it’s still better than no hockey, and lets be honest, Caps winning the Stanley, DOES help the situation, for me!👍

I’ve sadly, over the years, let go of the NBA, and MLB. The NFL is right on the edge of losing me too! Believe me, I’m quite aware of my insignificance, and ability to affect any real change. I’m just an older guy trying to preserve my peace of mind! LOL
FWIW, Maaco

Rush

BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday October 30, 2018, 11:21:44 AM Eastern »
If fans really wanted to see naive, no hit, no fight, goalie humiliation 6-5 games, every rec and pond league would be packed, and college hockey would get as much air time as college football.  But ya don’t see that happening.

This fag-style game, which is being benefited by the climate of the lunatic left, is a bubble scheme that won’t last.  Sure you’ll have the zealots that blindly follow Mr Buttman because he’s the commissioner, and you have your 12yos who are scared of violence and like seeing “video games come to life”, but they cannot and will not support it with you dollars as people get bored with this shit and quit coming, watching, and spending like most of are doing and have.

Offline Mickstix

• Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday October 30, 2018, 12:40:12 PM Eastern »
If fans really wanted the to naive, no hit, no fight, goalie humiliation 6-5 games, every rec and pond league would be packed, and college hockey would get as much air time as college football.  But ya don’t see that happening.

Yep, that's why they selectively choose who they're going to "punish" (ie: Big Bad Evil Mean Tom Wilson) They could end the head hits and concussion threat almost instantly if they wanted to, but they know the ratings and ticket sales would plummet.. (see: NoFunLeague)

Offline alta

• I don't swing that way
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
  • just say no, to socialism
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday October 30, 2018, 12:57:06 PM Eastern »

Yep, that's why they selectively choose who they're going to "punish" (ie: Big Bad Evil Mean Tom Wilson) They could end the head hits and concussion threat almost instantly if they wanted to, but they know the ratings and ticket sales would plummet.. (see: NoFunLeague)

The NFL's ticket sales have plummeted because of the spoiled rich athletes protesting during the anthem. Which oddly is yet one more thing the media in this country has perpetuated. Before kaeperdick started taking a knee while wearing his cops are pigs socks, the broadcasts never showed the anthem ceremony except for the super bowl. Only after the stupid protests started did the media start showing it on tv. The players then jumping up and down and throwing themselves on the floor over the leagues meager attempt to institute the same rule the nba has had for 20 years didn't help either. The protests have largely disappeared this year, though not entirely, because tv said they would stop showing it on tv
Knowledge is knowing that the Tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is knowing that you shouldn't include it in a Fruit Salad; Philosophy is wondering if a Bloody Mary counts as smoothie

"Oh bother" said Poo, as he chambered another round

Offline Mickstix

• Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday October 30, 2018, 04:05:36 PM Eastern »
That's true! But their ratings and attendance had already started down hill years before that, when they ruled you can no longer: hit the qb, hit a defenseless receiver, make head contact, this is a catch but that's not, the ball broke the plane but you didn't buy a ticket, we're charging you for that extra bad of luggage, etc..  :rofl:

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday October 30, 2018, 07:58:59 PM Eastern »
That's true! But their ratings and attendance had already started down hill years before that, when they ruled you can no longer: hit the qb, hit a defenseless receiver, make head contact, this is a catch but that's not, the ball broke the plane but you didn't buy a ticket, we're charging you for that extra bad of luggage, etc..  :rofl:
As saying goes:  Get Woke Go Broke

Offline alta

• I don't swing that way
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
  • just say no, to socialism
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday October 30, 2018, 09:42:19 PM Eastern »
four years of high school and two years of college football, I recall being fairly proud of the gouge marks in my helmet. Those came from leading with the head, which even back then we were told not to do, wink wink, because if you keep leading with your head I'm gonna half to keep telling you not too
Knowledge is knowing that the Tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is knowing that you shouldn't include it in a Fruit Salad; Philosophy is wondering if a Bloody Mary counts as smoothie

"Oh bother" said Poo, as he chambered another round

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #99 on: Wednesday October 31, 2018, 12:17:30 AM Eastern »

Hilarious Mick! It’s stunning to see how the overall demise is totally interconnected, over time!
So many common threads through all of our major sports!

Media now seems to spend SO much airtime, continually attempting to “re-educate” us, (mostly the older crowd),  as to what defines “GOOD PLAY”, or performance! Hell, just pick any of the major sports!

[size=78%] When that fails/failed, they turn to unnecessary drama creation. Hyping up the significance of any game situation, in order to make the ordinary look special! This, in turn, elevates a good play, to the spectacular, and a weekly excellent play, to damn near HISTORIC! It’s as shameful as it is painfully obvious![/size]
[/size]
This dynamic in sports media, inherently depends on the younger crowds lack of past sports reference, The koolaid is drank, and the media is all too happy, every season, to mix powder, sugar, and water, in slighter, subtle dilution, year by year by ever-souring year!!

Ok, enough rant again. Gotta get un-frustrated before Montréal this Thursday!

Rush

BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”