Author Topic: Capitals 18-19  (Read 23211 times)

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
Re: Capitals 18-19
« Reply #60 on: Friday September 28, 2018, 04:54:28 PM Eastern »
I would expect a slow start to the season with a lot of our guys getting back into NHL shape.  When you party all summer long, it takes a while to get take shed that beer gut.  If we are just 500 after 20 games I wouldn't be surprised.  However, I didn't think it would be DSP that was the poster dough-boy, I thought it would have been Ovie or Oshie or Carlson.

That may be the best case scenario.
  The rest of the Confrence can no longer view us as a free pass to the next round.  Everyone will bring their top game to knock off the champs and/or get revenge

if players, staff, fans believes all the work is done, that the hardest part is over, that we did enough, this season can be ruined by April if not March

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #61 on: Friday September 28, 2018, 11:15:00 PM Eastern »
I would expect a slow start to the season with a lot of our guys getting back into NHL shape.  When you party all summer long, it takes a while to get take shed that beer gut.  If we are just 500 after 20 games I wouldn't be surprised.  However, I didn't think it would be DSP that was the poster dough-boy, I thought it would have been Ovie or Oshie or Carlson.

Agree with you, Beags.
Was surprised at DSP. Rierden did not EXACTLY say it was a conditioning issue. He did say that he wants DSP to “get to the level I’d like to see him at”. Adding later that, “That’s what we’re working towards. When that happens, then expect to see him.”

I will say that DSP looked slow tonight.  Wasn’t really expecting him to dazzle, as he’s got a little catching up to do. Sure hope he’s ready by October 3rd.

Rush
Always hopeful, yet discontent -
He knows CHANGES aren’t permanent -
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #62 on: Friday September 28, 2018, 11:50:23 PM Eastern »

That may be the best case scenario.
  The rest of the Confrence can no longer view us as a free pass to the next round.  Everyone will bring their top game to knock off the champs and/or get revenge

if players, staff, fans believes all the work is done, that the hardest part is over, that we did enough, this season can be ruined by April if not March

Hey DC.
Good point that everyone will be after us.
For me, there are some similarities and differences, between the preseason attitude this year, compared to last year.

What is similar, is that, like last year, I’m going to give the Caps 20-25 games, before any hard assessments. The shorter off season, new coaches, and a variety of adjustments, speak loud to not rush to judgement. “Let em marinate a little”, would seem the wiser option.

The differences are, first off, I am a PROUDER fan, obviously, going into the season. Most of the players are back, reducing the speculation of questionable off season trades. I really see this year as a completely new chapter in the Caps history. It’s Rierdens team now.

I’ve put a period on our GREAT Stanley Cup victory. You used the expressions, “work is done”, “hardest part is over”, and “we did enough”.....These are all TRUE!!  BUT, for last year ONLY!
I agree, that it would be a huge mistake for fans or players to be of that mindset NOW, but I’ll have the  Stanley joy, as a permanent part of me, at the same time, while acknowledging the “freshness” of the new season. They are separate things!

Call ya this weekend,
Rush

BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Maacoshark

« Reply #63 on: Saturday September 29, 2018, 09:08:46 AM Eastern »

Hey DC.
Good point that everyone will be after us.
For me, there are some similarities and differences, between the preseason attitude this year, compared to last year.

What is similar, is that, like last year, I’m going to give the Caps 20-25 games, before any hard assessments. The shorter off season, new coaches, and a variety of adjustments, speak loud to not rush to judgement. “Let em marinate a little”, would seem the wiser option.

The differences are, first off, I am a PROUDER fan, obviously, going into the season. Most of the players are back, reducing the speculation of questionable off season trades. I really see this year as a completely new chapter in the Caps history. It’s Rierdens team now.

I’ve put a period on our GREAT Stanley Cup victory. You used the expressions, “work is done”, “hardest part is over”, and “we did enough”.....These are all TRUE!!  BUT, for last year ONLY!
I agree, that it would be a huge mistake for fans or players to be of that mindset NOW, but I’ll have the  Stanley joy, as a permanent part of me, at the same time, while acknowledging the “freshness” of the new season. They are separate things!

Call ya this weekend,
Rush
     Even though most players are returning it is still a different team because of the coaching changes. Who knows how these coaches will do? I am not as positive about this team and it is because of the coaching change. It will be very difficult for the Caps to match what this team did over the past 3 years. Probably not the best time to make a coaching change. Not the best for Reirdon anyway. If this team doesnt succeed is he going to be thrown under the bus.
     This is my prediction this year. I dont think we break 100 points this season and will finish 3rd at best in the Metropolitan division. I think we will struggle defensively this season. And I dont think we make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs. We might even get eliminated earlier.
    Please prove me wrong Caps.

Maacoshark

« Reply #64 on: Saturday September 29, 2018, 11:12:30 AM Eastern »
Just heard Gersich was sent down to Hershey and Barber and O'Brien were placed on waivers. Walker is still with the team and I dont get it. I think ball 3 of these players bring more than Walker does.

Offline 4 Caps

« Reply #65 on: Saturday September 29, 2018, 01:37:30 PM Eastern »
I think the reason why Gersich was sent down is that they want to have him get a lot of ice time in Hershey, I am sure he will be on their top line so it should be good for his development.  I don’t see Walker getting a lot of ice time with the Caps, he will be a spare forward at most just like O’Brien and Barber would be. 

Maacoshark

« Reply #66 on: Saturday September 29, 2018, 02:31:21 PM Eastern »
I think the reason why Gersich was sent down is that they want to have him get a lot of ice time in Hershey, I am sure he will be on their top line so it should be good for his development.  I don’t see Walker getting a lot of ice time with the Caps, he will be a spare forward at most just like O’Brien and Barber would be.
    Walker doesnt bring much. Is he the type of player you want to plug in on your 4th line? Barber is a better all round player and is more versatile and LOB is a physical presence. I'd much rather have one of those guys fill in on the 4th line than Walker.

Offline Surreylily

• I can start fire with two hard drives
  • Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #67 on: Saturday September 29, 2018, 07:33:57 PM Eastern »
Wha????? :clown:
not getting it.  What are they trying to do?
I am

Offline Surreylily

• I can start fire with two hard drives
  • Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #68 on: Saturday September 29, 2018, 07:37:34 PM Eastern »
I thought Gersich was a shoe-in.???  Why would they not give him NHL experience?
I am

Maacoshark

« Reply #69 on: Saturday September 29, 2018, 11:30:29 PM Eastern »
I thought Gersich was a shoe-in. ???  Why would they not give him NHL experience?
    I dont reallybdisagree with Gersich being sent down. I dont think he is ready for the NHL fulltime. He is also a waiver exempt player so that may have been part of the decision.

Offline 4 Caps

« Reply #70 on: Sunday September 30, 2018, 10:06:24 AM Eastern »
I thought Gersich was a shoe-in. ???  Why would they not give him NHL experience?

If they kept Gersich he would be stuck on the 4th line and would not get a lot of ice time.  In addition he is not a 4 th line player, he does not kill penalties etc and does not play a physical game.  He needs to play in the top 9 to properly use his skill set. He is a skill player but he needs to adjust to the professional game and the best place do that is Hershey. 

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #71 on: Sunday September 30, 2018, 03:07:46 PM Eastern »

If they kept Gersich he would be stuck on the 4th line and would not get a lot of ice time.  In addition he is not a 4 th line player, he does not kill penalties etc and does not play a physical game.  He needs to play in the top 9 to properly use his skill set. He is a skill player but he needs to adjust to the professional game and the best place do that is Hershey.
Well said 4Caps!
I’m keeping my eye on Megna in this Sunday’s game. To you point, about Gersich, Megna HAS shown good PK skills, however, Dowd looks like the starting 4C this afternoon, and has also looked good. Just turned the game on, and Caps appear to be using the expected starting lineup for the opener, sans Kempny. Should be interesting this afternoon! TTYL.

Rush
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #72 on: Sunday September 30, 2018, 05:33:36 PM Eastern »
    Walker doesnt bring much. Is he the type of player you want to plug in on your 4th line? Barber is a better all round player and is more versatile and LOB is a physical presence. I'd much rather have one of those guys fill in on the 4th line than Walker.

To be fair to Walker he does bring a bit more familiarity with Stephenson, as well as work ethic. With the loss of Jay Beagle bringing another proven hard worker around is probably a plus. But I do think he'll also be a spare forward, as some have said in here.