Author Topic: Capitals 18-19  (Read 23156 times)

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
Re: Capitals 18-19
« Reply #40 on: Thursday September 13, 2018, 09:21:43 AM Eastern »
    I dont really disagree with this post. But part of the fun here is disagreeing with you guys and rubbing it in when you can say I told you so. It sucks when it blows up in your face.
I got lucky on a couple predictions last season. I was pretty pissed when Walker made the team over Stephenson at the beginning if last season. And when he did get called up I predicted he would stay with the club. I also predicted he would end up being a regular penalty killer. I remember how good he was killing penalties in junior.
   I also was pissed when Holtby got benched for Grubauer.  And when Grubauer good the start I predicted he would fail and Holtby would have to come in and bail us out.
    I was wrong on a couple of guys. I wasnt impressed with Vrana but his game improved immensely as the season went on. I hope he can do what Burakovsky couldn't do and take it to the next level. And I was hard on Kempny when he first got here. He was brutal his first few games but seemed to settle in.
   And for the record I wasnt wrong about Carlson. He had an excellent season and not just offensively. I know he isnt a shutdown dman but he was solid. He is better defensively than most offensive dmen.
To your credit Carlson did perform well in the playoffs, but as saying goes: you can put on tons of make up on her, dye her hair, tighten her corset via F150, dress her in $2000+ sluty outfits with $2000+ worth of jewelry, but if she’s fat,ugly and poor, yeah she’ll look great compared to what she nornally does, but still not as hot as the hot ones, and she’ll go back to being fat, ugly and poor the next day. . .

(. . . see, i’m beginning to understand feminisim)

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #41 on: Thursday September 13, 2018, 11:20:47 AM Eastern »
For the board:
Here is, I feel, some fairly balanced commentary on the Bura issue. It is part of a Q and A article, where local fans submit questions to J. J. Regan, with NBC Washington Sports, Capitals Talk. Just out today.

Rush

Steve Farmer writes: Why is Andre Burakovsky still here? Why hasn't the team traded him yet? He's inconsistent and always injured.
First off, for a team that tried to keep its roster together for another run at the Cup, trading away the guy that scored two goals in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Final would be a pretty big departure from that strategy. Second, you would think that his Game 7 performance and his four points in five games in the Stanley Cup Final would buy him a little more leeway from the fan base, but I guess not.   Burakovsky is a top-six talent who has dealt with inconsistencies and injuries through his career which is something the general managers of the other 30 NHL teams will be well aware of. When you make a trade, you need to make sure you are at least getting equal value in return. For everyone out there who wants to trade Burakovsky, think of all the reasons why you do. Everything you just thought of, every general manager will be aware of if the Caps try to trade him If the Caps can't get equal value for Burakovsky in a trade, it's a nonstarter. Even if they could, his ceiling is high enough that I believe it would be wise to give him another season to see if he can finally have that breakout year we've all been waiting for.
Yeah, about what Id expect from NBC/Caps, but to be fair, the question had an implication of a trade being punitive.

What neither addresses is the question of moving Bura to improve organizational depth, or assuming we are good enough and he is to valuable to be traded

Offline Surreylily

• I can start fire with two hard drives
  • Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #42 on: Monday September 17, 2018, 05:42:14 PM Eastern »
Burro = Semin.  With slightly less talent.
End of.
I am

Maacoshark

« Reply #43 on: Monday September 17, 2018, 08:13:52 PM Eastern »
Burro = Semin.  With slightly less talent.
End of.
   Quite a bit less talent. Semin may have been the most talented player in the league. Too bad he was a flake.

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #44 on: Friday September 21, 2018, 12:26:30 AM Eastern »
Yeah, about what Id expect from NBC/Caps, but to be fair, the question had an implication of a trade being punitive.

What neither addresses is the question of moving Bura to improve organizational depth, or assuming we are good enough and he is to valuable to be traded

Excellent meat and potatoes point, DC!
It’s no mystery that I can be counted among those that consider almost ANY moving out of Bura, as an immediate DEPTH improvement! Kinda done with the guy.  Also noting, nothing exceptional on his part, in either of his preseason performances!! Nuff said, for me!
I mean, if he proves me wrong, great!! We get more production!! (Not happenin’)!!

Rush

Always hopeful, yet discontent -
He knows CHANGES aren’t permanent -
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Offline OldHat

• King Jackass
  • Hockey Deity
  • One Foot in the Grave
« Reply #45 on: Saturday September 22, 2018, 02:52:52 PM Eastern »
So far I am disappointed that Lewington has been entirely unimpressive.  Still young though.

Bright spot - LOB.  This guy needs to play on the 4th line.  LOB/Stephenson  - C/LW , DSP RW   :thumbsup:   Now that's a nice line if I do so say...

As far as Burt goes - I like em alright but I would sure be open to a trade - we have a lot of depth in players like him.  To move him for some more toughness/meanness would be nice. 
I would have moved him in a deal for Pacioretty. 

What's up babes...

Maacoshark

« Reply #46 on: Saturday September 22, 2018, 06:02:57 PM Eastern »
So far I am disappointed that Lewington has been entirely unimpressive.  Still young though.

Bright spot - LOB.  This guy needs to play on the 4th line.  LOB/Stephenson  - C/LW , DSP RW   :thumbsup:   Now that's a nice line if I do so say...

As far as Burt goes - I like em alright but I would sure be open to a trade - we have a lot of depth in players like him.  To move him for some more toughness/meanness would be nice. 
      I doubt Lewington ever plays in the NHL unless our dcore has a few guys injured. He is physical enough but that about it. It seems he drops further down the depth chart each year.
   I dont think LOB is really ban NHL calibre player either. He is tough, physical and puts in the effort. But he doesnt excellent at either end of the ice. He has an outside chance to be a 4 the liner with us only because we have no great forward prospects. This is the weakest I've seen our system in awhile.
    As for trading Burakovsky. Might be a good idea if we can get a decent draft pick.

Offline OldHat

• King Jackass
  • Hockey Deity
  • One Foot in the Grave
« Reply #47 on: Sunday September 23, 2018, 09:42:23 PM Eastern »
      I doubt Lewington ever plays in the NHL unless our dcore has a few guys injured. He is physical enough but that about it. It seems he drops further down the depth chart each year.
   I dont think LOB is really ban NHL calibre player either. He is tough, physical and puts in the effort. But he doesnt excellent at either end of the ice. He has an outside chance to be a 4 the liner with us only because we have no great forward prospects. This is the weakest I've seen our system in awhile.
    As for trading Burakovsky. Might be a good idea if we can get a decent draft pick.

Yes, that's what I was saying about Lewington.  I was hoping he'd progress but the game looked too big for him.

I disagree about LOB.  He excels exactly where this team needs it.  I think the kid is a gamer.  I'd move Stephenson to C and slot him at at LW in a heartbeat.
What's up babes...

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #48 on: Monday September 24, 2018, 01:02:42 AM Eastern »

Hey OldHat!
Just getting back in the swing of things, here.
Totally agree on Lewington. You don’t hear his name at all, hardly. Almost forgot we had him, with all else going on in preseason.
I hope LOB will find a spot. If not regular, then at least brought in more often, when we need the grit, (the case could be made for ALWAYS)!
He’s got a lot competition at 4th C.  Dowd, Boyd, and a camp surprise Megna.
It’s hard to read right now, IMO. Rierden has praised both LOB and Megna, by name. LOB being the most recent mention, about his added physicality. Megna, was mentioned, after Boston, because of hustle and PK ability, which Rierden has emphasized, for all, as a weighty factor for team consideration!
Then we’ve got Dowd, who was 4th C at practice today, where Rierden started all the top starters from the playoffs, Dowd was flanked by DSP and Stephenson. Rierden was quick to add, however, that the 4th line C position is still wide open. He just wanted to see what our top guys looked like today.
I like that at least it’s still competitive and open. Also like that Stephenson can pick up at 4C, if needed, although there doesn’t seem to be much buzz about it.[size=78%] WE SHALL SEE![/size]

Rush
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Maacoshark

« Reply #49 on: Monday September 24, 2018, 09:45:43 AM Eastern »

Yes, that's what I was saying about Lewington.  I was hoping he'd progress but the game looked too big for him.

I disagree about LOB.  He excels exactly where this team needs it.  I think the kid is a gamer.  I'd move Stephenson to C and slot him at at LW in a heartbeat.
    Love the effort and heart and the physical presence of LOB but that doesnt always cut it. He bring zero offensive my which I can live with if he brings it elsewhere. He really doesnt though. He is nothing special defensively and lacks speed. I've also seen him go for hits and take himself out if the play. I dont think he has the skill or hockey IQ to be a regular NHL player. I think he has a chance to play a bit on the 4th line but I would count on him being a regular.

Maacoshark

« Reply #50 on: Monday September 24, 2018, 09:53:02 AM Eastern »

Hey OldHat!
Just getting back in the swing of things, here.
Totally agree on Lewington. You don’t hear his name at all, hardly. Almost forgot we had him, with all else going on in preseason.
I hope LOB will find a spot. If not regular, then at least brought in more often, when we need the grit, (the case could be made for ALWAYS)!
He’s got a lot competition at 4th C.  Dowd, Boyd, and a camp surprise Megna.
It’s hard to read right now, IMO. Rierden has praised both LOB and Megna, by name. LOB being the most recent mention, about his added physicality. Megna, was mentioned, after Boston, because of hustle and PK ability, which Rierden has emphasized, for all, as a weighty factor for team consideration!
Then we’ve got Dowd, who was 4th C at practice today, where Rierden started all the top starters from the playoffs, Dowd was flanked by DSP and Stephenson. Rierden was quick to add, however, that the 4th line C position is still wide open. He just wanted to see what our top guys looked like today.
I like that at least it’s still competitive and open. Also like that Stephenson can pick up at 4C, if needed, although there doesn’t seem to be much buzz about it.[size=78%] WE SHALL SEE![/size]

Rush
   That 4c spot is about the only spot up for grabs. I was hoping Stephenson would be the 4c. Then they would gave a few more options at the 4 LW position. You could try Shumakov, Gersisch, LOB, AJF, Walker or you could try one if the centers in that spot.
   If they pencil in Stephenson at 4LW then we are pretty much limited to Dowd and Boyd for that final spot.

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #51 on: Monday September 24, 2018, 04:47:53 PM Eastern »
   That 4c spot is about the only spot up for grabs. I was hoping Stephenson would be the 4c. Then they would gave a few more options at the 4 LW position. You could try Shumakov, Gersisch, LOB, AJF, Walker or you could try one if the centers in that spot.
   If they pencil in Stephenson at 4LW then we are pretty much limited to Dowd and Boyd for that final spot.

I agree Maaco.
I don’t know why there is no talk about putting Stephenson at 4C. He’s played it before. They may just know that they can always call on him to step in at center, but must feel he’s more effective at wing. I think Dowd may get the nod for the Blues game Tuesday. Also don’t forget this guy Megna. Out of Rierdens mouth comes, that the competition for 4C is pretty much down to Dowd, Boyd, and Megna. Although this was said before LOB made a nice showing the other night.
This makes the Blues game a watcher, for sure!
Should be interesting.

Rush
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Offline justwincaps

• Advanced Member
« Reply #52 on: Monday September 24, 2018, 08:42:50 PM Eastern »
Agree with Maaco and Puck [who it’s nice to see agree with each other] about Stephenson at 4C. His speed, skill and defensive responsibility warrant at least a 4th line role.  Maybe having him on the wing is for his flexibility to move up to a higher line - he isn’t displacing Kuzy, Nicky or Eller so maybe the wing is the only way he moves up and that’s why they’ve slotted him there. 

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #53 on: Monday September 24, 2018, 10:53:24 PM Eastern »
Agree with Maaco and Puck [who it’s nice to see agree with each other] about Stephenson at 4C. His speed, skill and defensive responsibility warrant at least a 4th line role.  Maybe having him on the wing is for his flexibility to move up to a higher line - he isn’t displacing Kuzy, Nicky or Eller so maybe the wing is the only way he moves up and that’s why they’ve slotted him there.

Hey Justwin. Good point about our other centers. Less chance to move if Stephenson is 4C. Imagine him replacing Bura at 3rd wing. An Eller, Connelly, Stephenson line! Hell move Connelly too, and have the 3rd line be, Eller, Stephenson, DSP!! That would be interesting to say the least!

Rush
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday September 25, 2018, 09:49:17 AM Eastern »
This “4C” situation  is certainly gonna cost us.

Monumental doesn’t like line flexibility, and will be more against this year after the Cup, which is why just moving Stevenson in or “replacing” Beagle with Boyd or Dowd over will be the course, and then blame them when it all goes to shit.

Without face off ace/shutdown forward (Beagle), or even a heavy weight enforcer, that lines purpose will amount to giving the other lines a water break. The other NHL teams will live this.

Of course, they could just pair Bura and Stevenson, then pair Eller with Griesch/Boyd/LOB/Walker, and rotate Connolly and DSP  between Stevenson and Eller to make two hybrid lines . . .  but, some Caps fans, zelots, and Monumental staff may have strokes out of their line-tainment ideals being dismissed and dismissed

« Last Edit: Wednesday September 26, 2018, 02:19:01 PM Eastern by DC_1908 »

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday September 26, 2018, 01:19:26 PM Eastern »
    Love the effort and heart and the physical presence of LOB but that doesnt always cut it. He bring zero offensive my which I can live with if he brings it elsewhere. He really doesnt though. He is nothing special defensively and lacks speed. I've also seen him go for hits and take himself out if the play. I dont think he has the skill or hockey IQ to be a regular NHL player. I think he has a chance to play a bit on the 4th line but I would count on him being a regular.

I agree totally on LOB.  What is the latest on Shumikov?  I've only seen the Carolina game so far and he didn't impress me.  He seemed like an average skater and didn't show much offensively. I'm sure he is just getting settled but I was hoping he would be a real solid player.

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #56 on: Friday September 28, 2018, 12:05:00 AM Eastern »
Just read this afternoon.
Some notable recent cuts. Hobbs, Johansen, Lewington, Shumikov, Samsonov all went back and/or have cleared waivers for HERSHEY return.

Also, Has any body noticed that DSP hasn’t played yet? It didn’t occur to me, either!
Apparently the word is he failed the conditioning tests. Rierden has been waiting for him to get back into NHL-worthy physical conditioning!  Admittedly this was a surprise!  Hope he gets his ass in gear!

Rush

BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Offline PUCKNRUSH

« Reply #57 on: Friday September 28, 2018, 12:11:48 AM Eastern »
Added note to post.
Rierden to determine today if DSP will play Friday vs Canes. No word yet!

Rush
              BUT CHANGE IS!!!

RUSH - from “Tom Sawyer”

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #58 on: Friday September 28, 2018, 09:07:44 AM Eastern »
I would expect a slow start to the season with a lot of our guys getting back into NHL shape.  When you party all summer long, it takes a while to get take shed that beer gut.  If we are just 500 after 20 games I wouldn't be surprised.  However, I didn't think it would be DSP that was the poster dough-boy, I thought it would have been Ovie or Oshie or Carlson.

Offline Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #59 on: Friday September 28, 2018, 09:39:12 AM Eastern »
Added note to post.
Rierden to determine today if DSP will play Friday vs Canes. No word yet!

Rush

Looks like DSP will get his 1st start tonight.. Looking for a link but can't run it down. saw it on twitter..
https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/1045663068385136641/photo/1