Author Topic: 2018 Off-Season Signings, Trades, etc.  (Read 27688 times)

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
Re: 2018 Off-Season Signings, Trades, etc.
« Reply #20 on: Friday June 29, 2018, 06:08:25 PM Eastern »
And word is that Snoopy won't be back.  Maybe heading to the Canucks.
If we don’t get him, I hope he goes to Detroit, he’ll be more appreciated and valued and successful there.  He and Glenndanzig would be an awesome combo, or he’d be nasty with Abelkiller.

Offline dpf1971

• Advanced Member
« Reply #21 on: Friday June 29, 2018, 07:05:55 PM Eastern »
While I really want Beags back ... it would open up room for O'Brien.  And if you remember from last summer, the only thing he didn't do was find space to actually get onto the 1st team.

Offline OldHat

• King Jackass
  • Hockey Deity
  • One Foot in the Grave
« Reply #22 on: Saturday June 30, 2018, 05:25:28 PM Eastern »
While I really want Beags back ... it would open up room for O'Brien.  And if you remember from last summer, the only thing he didn't do was find space to actually get onto the 1st team.

I'd love to see LOB get a chance - but...  Players of his sort don't seem to get much of a chance.  It would be nice to see both he and Lewington skate with the big club.  We'd get a whole lot tougher.

Rick Dhaliwal[/size][/font][/size]: The Canucks are still in on Jay Beagle, but with so many other teams interested, the price and term keeps increasing.[/color]
What's up babes...

Offline OldHat

• King Jackass
  • Hockey Deity
  • One Foot in the Grave
« Reply #23 on: Saturday June 30, 2018, 08:21:30 PM Eastern »
Stephen Whyno: The Red Wings have signed pending free agent defenseman Mike Green to a two-year extension worth $10.75 million, a $5.375 million salary cap hit.
What's up babes...

Maacoshark

« Reply #24 on: Sunday July 01, 2018, 10:58:27 AM Eastern »
   Well Beagle is gone and I'm OK with that. He took the money and ran. I think he got more than what he is worth. I wouldn't pay that contract for a 100 foot player.

Offline dpf1971

• Advanced Member
« Reply #25 on: Sunday July 01, 2018, 11:22:21 AM Eastern »
   Well Beagle is gone and I'm OK with that. He took the money and ran. I think he got more than what he is worth. I wouldn't pay that contract for a 100 foot player.

For that kind of money, I'd let him go too.  There are players that deserve chances like that and Beagle has been one those for us.  He's been here through the thick and thin and did everything that was asked of him.  He's 32, so this 4 year deal is probably going to be his last and it has the Calgary-native going back west, so all I can do is wish the guy the best of luck on a rebuilding team.

Offline dpf1971

• Advanced Member
« Reply #26 on: Sunday July 01, 2018, 11:30:45 AM Eastern »
Paul Stastny to Vegas .... 3 yrs / $ 6.5 million per.  Man, looking back, our deal to keep Nicky long term was an absolute steal.

Offline Biggest

« Reply #27 on: Sunday July 01, 2018, 01:02:03 PM Eastern »
Absolutely right, '71.  Bravo for Beags - no matter how bummed I am, selfishly, about losing our stud 4th line Pivot.  And make no mistake - he was absolutely a stud on that 4th line, at the Dot, and in PK situations.  As we all know.  Stephenson has big skates to fill.  I'm thinking he can and wishing him the best.

Paul Stastny to Vegas .... 3 yrs / $ 6.5 million per.  Man, looking back, our deal to keep Nicky long term was an absolute steal.

Maacoshark

« Reply #28 on: Sunday July 01, 2018, 01:04:43 PM Eastern »
  More than I think he is worth.

Offline dpf1971

• Advanced Member
« Reply #29 on: Sunday July 01, 2018, 01:12:16 PM Eastern »
Tavares going to the Leafs.  Van Riemsdyk to Phily.

Offline Biggest

« Reply #30 on: Sunday July 01, 2018, 01:12:36 PM Eastern »
Tavares to his home town Leafs.  Damn, they are going to be our most formidable foe in the season ahead.  Wow!

Offline Biggest

« Reply #31 on: Sunday July 01, 2018, 01:15:42 PM Eastern »
Stastny and Bozak to man Center Ice roles for the Knights.  I felt our superiority at the pivot was the biggest reason we beat them.

Ironic that McPhee, who essentially dicked around for ages at the pivot position after Backstrom, has finally 'gotten it' - both in terms of loading up 'down the middle' and in working free agency.  Our Cup Title would have happened years ago had McPhee a) participated smartly in FA (as Mac does); b) fixed our 2C and 3C issues; and c) hired / paid a veteran HC like Trotz (although rumor has it Leonsis and Patrick were the obstacles there).  Oh, and held on to Forsberg.

Tavares going to the Leafs.  Van Riemsdyk to Phily. Bozak to the Knighs. Perron to the Blues.

Offline dpf1971

• Advanced Member
« Reply #32 on: Sunday July 01, 2018, 01:20:30 PM Eastern »
Bozak AND Perron go to the Blues after they lose Stastney (during last season) and Brodziak (to the Oil).

Offline Biggest

« Reply #33 on: Sunday July 01, 2018, 02:36:06 PM Eastern »

I had it wrong in my earlier post (now edited below) as I thought I heard the NHL Network coverage say Bozak was going to be a Knight.  Clearly, that was wrong as Bozak is now a member of the Blues.

Stastny to man Center Ice for the Knights - may replace William Karlson on their top line.  I felt our superiority at the pivot was the biggest reason we beat them.

Ironic that McPhee, who essentially dicked around for ages at the pivot position after Backstrom, has finally 'gotten it' - both in terms of loading up 'down the middle' and in working free agency.  Our Cup Title would have happened years ago had McPhee a) participated smartly in FA (as Mac does); b) fixed our 2C and 3C issues; and c) hired / paid a veteran HC like Trotz (although rumor has it Leonsis and Patrick were the obstacles there).  Oh, and held on to Forsberg.

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #34 on: Sunday July 01, 2018, 03:32:45 PM Eastern »

Maaco - I wrote a response to this post and then decided to delete it.  Let's just stay on the high road and maybe you can wish him well. I started another post about Beagle and what I thought he brought to the team.

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #35 on: Sunday July 01, 2018, 06:11:27 PM Eastern »

Maaco - I wrote a response to this post and then decided to delete it.  Let's just stay on the high road and maybe you can wish him well. I started another post about Beagle and what I thought he brought to the team.

There isn't anything that takes us to the low-road by commenting on his contract. You will be hard pressed to find someone on this board who doesn't respect/appreciate everything Jay Beagle did for this franchise. We all loved him, we all commented on how Trotz made the montra of this team work like Jay Beagle works.

But in no world can our cap constrained team afford $3 mill per year for him. Good on Beagle for leveraging the market, and the demand for quality depth players to let the bidding war bump his contract up. But the moment he became worth more than $2 mill we were completely out of the running. We have so much cap tied to other players, that it just can't make sense to pay Beagle that much for us.

Ultimately that is a tough contract, as much as I love Beagle I feel like some of that for the Canucks is just so they can begin a culture change surrounding their newer younger core. It's a smart move on that front, for a team that has the cap to be able to afford to do that. But contenders can't pay fourth liners that kind of salary no matter how talented/hard working/good they are. It's a bummer since the intangibles Beagle brought absolutely need to be replaced for him.

Obviously we all wish him best of luck in Vancouver.

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #36 on: Sunday July 01, 2018, 10:57:48 PM Eastern »
I agree that we couldn’t keep him at that level and for that term.  I think we got lucky for the last five years as he was a bargain for what he brought to the team. I’m glad  for him that he is getting paid after he got his name on the Cup!

Offline OldHat

• King Jackass
  • Hockey Deity
  • One Foot in the Grave
« Reply #37 on: Monday July 02, 2018, 09:01:23 AM Eastern »
Jack Johnson to the Pens amid some fireworks 5 x 3.25...  https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/blue-jackets-john-tortorella-rips-jack-johnson-penguins-gm/

Man, I hope this blows up in Rutherford's face...
What's up babes...

Offline OldHat

• King Jackass
  • Hockey Deity
  • One Foot in the Grave
« Reply #38 on: Monday July 02, 2018, 09:32:11 AM Eastern »
Neal  to the Flames - 5 x 5.75.

Good riddance.
What's up babes...

Offline OldHat

• King Jackass
  • Hockey Deity
  • One Foot in the Grave
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday July 03, 2018, 10:00:41 PM Eastern »
Per Bruce Garrioch concerning Erik Karlsson:

"Among the teams that are believed to be interested include the Vegas Golden Knights, Tampa Bay Lightning, Washington Capitals and New York Rangers."

Holy hell.  Word is he is looking for a Doughty-like contract...  This would mean some major salary being traded out... 

According to NHL Numbers, Caps have almost 12.7 mil in space - with Wilson to sign... Ship out Burt(3mil) and Bowey(RFA)?  Burt and Karllson  are 65s... 

Or would it be Carlson?  RNMB did report that the Cps were making a push to trade for him before the trade deadline and that Carlson was in play... Is he really worth 11 mill?
What's up babes...