Author Topic: GDT R4G4 Knights @ Capitals 2018-06-04 8:00pm EST NBC, CBC, SN, TVAS  (Read 68525 times)

Maacoshark

Re: GDT R4G4 Knights @ Capitals 2018-06-04 8:00pm EST NBC, CBC, SN, TVAS
« Reply #240 on: Tuesday June 05, 2018, 09:22:56 AM Eastern »
     I really don't think Schmidt is great defensively. He is good at covering the initial rush when the team is entering the zone. But once the zone has been established I don't think his defensive play is anything spectacular.

Maacoshark

« Reply #241 on: Tuesday June 05, 2018, 09:23:49 AM Eastern »
     The Caps have sure inflated Fleury's numbers. His GAA is now higher than Holtbys

Offline Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #242 on: Tuesday June 05, 2018, 09:40:53 AM Eastern »
Schmidt, same age and similar career path to Orlov.. Makes half the salary.  :wackysmile: I think his downfall as a Cap priority, was he didn't speak Russian?  :raspberry:

Offline blee088

« Reply #243 on: Tuesday June 05, 2018, 09:48:45 AM Eastern »
i kept thinking about how backstrom is invisible and it kind of makes me sad. he used to be the guy. I'm not sure what he does

Offline waynerivers

« Reply #244 on: Tuesday June 05, 2018, 10:02:24 AM Eastern »
i kept thinking about how backstrom is invisible and it kind of makes me sad. he used to be the guy. I'm not sure what he does

3 assists last night.  I'll take that sort of invisibility. ;D

Offline waynerivers

« Reply #245 on: Tuesday June 05, 2018, 10:05:21 AM Eastern »
1 win away huh? Toughest game is still to go. Time to show some sack and killer instinct. Screw the "weather the storm" mentality in game 5 because Vegas is desperate. Make your own storm and bury them early!

Exactly.  Kick their asses out of the box.  Break their will and bury them.  I also love that Vegas is whining.  That's the sign of a team about to make their golf reservations.  Oshie made a great play on Miller and that was NOT an elbow despite what Gallant says.  I also like how they started crying about the first PP team being out there with us up 5-2.  So, I guess there are mercy rules in the NHL and you just quit because the other team's feelings are hurt.  Laughable.  Also, the crosscheck by McNabb on Oshie was a real dirtball hit.  Hopefully, somebody takes care of him Thursday.

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #246 on: Tuesday June 05, 2018, 10:13:17 AM Eastern »
Yes, he is the guy! Just Kuzya is rocking this post season and Vrana is not producing. Also where would be Caps when Kuzya left the game and Backstrom and Lars took over?

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #247 on: Tuesday June 05, 2018, 10:16:44 AM Eastern »
     I really don't think Schmidt is great defensively. He is good at covering the initial rush when the team is entering the zone. But once the zone has been established I don't think his defensive play is anything spectacular.
Fair enough but you may be in the minority on that one. . .

Offline Chris19

« Reply #248 on: Tuesday June 05, 2018, 10:18:29 AM Eastern »
The best thing they can do right now is NOT retaliate.  Instead stay the course and smile as big as they can as they shake their hand on Thursday night.

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #249 on: Tuesday June 05, 2018, 10:24:12 AM Eastern »
Schmidt, same age and similar career path to Orlov.. Makes half the salary.  :wackysmile: I think his downfall as a Cap priority, was he didn't speak Russian?  :raspberry:

I'd love to keep them both, also I don't think it was a mistake to stay with Orlov. Nate was unprotected. Addition to loosing so many good players due salary cap, we have lost Nate.

Schmidt is great at rush, but so Orlov. Orlov is better in passing starting from own zone, may be not everyone notices it, but makes O much more agile. In D zone, Orlov seems better, too. 

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #250 on: Tuesday June 05, 2018, 10:29:24 AM Eastern »
1 win away huh? Toughest game is still to go. Time to show some sack and killer instinct. Screw the "weather the storm" mentality in game 5 because Vegas is desperate. Make your own storm and bury them early!
I fear confidence can easily turn into over-cofidence and could become our undoing.

SCF history or not, The Caps still have blown 3-1 series leads before. We have also seen this same team play sloppier and dumber than 12yo-coed rec-league teams this season (and before), so going back to that possible even if unlikely.

Play safe, play smart, and nothing show off and/or stupid.  It really could take just one failed toe drag, missed assignment, bad pass, etc. to loose all the momentum/mojo we have going, and give it off to a pissed off team.

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #251 on: Tuesday June 05, 2018, 10:32:39 AM Eastern »
The best thing they can do right now is NOT retaliate.  Instead stay the course and smile as big as they can as they shake their hand on Thursday night.
That's one thing.

LV were kicking great, but were out of luck in the first, then got deflated, but still pushing hard in second. How they didn't score in first 10 min, it's jaw dropping. If they scored, it could be a different outcome.

The Caps have to be better to win, luck is a bitch.

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #252 on: Tuesday June 05, 2018, 10:33:58 AM Eastern »
Fair enough but you may be in the minority on that one. . .

Yeah I'm with you. Carlson has been "fine" in these playoffs, and these finals, but mostly offensively he's been better than anything. He hasn't been awful defensively by any means, but I think Nate Schmidt is a better defensive player than Carlson. Than Niskanen? No. Than Kempny the way Kempn has been playing? Debatable, but probably no.

Honestly guys if you've been watching the series it's offensively where Schmidt hasn't looked great 5 on 5, and part of that is because our team defense is such a priority most of Vegas defenders can't help the forecheck. They try to, and get caught because we have back checkers and men at the line clogging. It's a big reason Maaco Carlson actually looks "better" defensively. It's easy to look better when two passes are deflected in neutral by Backy then Oshie then Vegas barely dumps it in with no bodies because their entire break out is messed and John Carlson only has to beat one man in and get it to his D partner to get it out. If Carlson had to handle the puck under pressure as much as Schmidt we'd be seeing the same type of stuff that their Shea Theodore has been giving to us for glorious scoring chances imo.

That said I think there is a realm here that isn't just homerism. We've been the better 5v5 hockey team most of this series imo. But it's really down to depth/support more than anything else, not one individual player trumping their one individual player in a lot of cases. I think there has been some zeroes on Vegas side for sure, Eakin especially to me still stands out. When I see Orlov, Carlson, hell even Burt and Connolly out forechecking Eakin on the boards and watching how he easily falls. That is kind of the problem right now for Vegas. They were a structured team game that stunned people because they weren't willing to bend the system. We play just as structured as they do, and as we are a better team to boot. And better team to do it as well. Vegas has a lot of guys playing a system that while it isn't necessarilly against their playstyle isn't exactly the best fit as we are to it. We have bigger bodies, better for forechecking and doing dirty work on the boards than they do. It's why Gallant plays nothing but the fourth line half the game, because the rest of his line up is having trouble being counted on 5v5 making us work. Which is a huge problem for them imo.

Vegas has had streaks and stretches as a team, but they remind me of the old us in that way. They go for it can't get the puck luck and bury it and hang their heads. We used to do that in the old playoff rounds tons. Now instead if we miss a shot on 4 5 rebound attempts, guess what? We score on the 6th. It almost feels like the growing pains of the playoffs have done more to the experience and pysche of our boys and I think it has put us in a better position than Vegas thus far this series. At least from what I've been seeing.

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #253 on: Tuesday June 05, 2018, 10:34:55 AM Eastern »
Play safe, play smart, and nothing show off and/or stupid.  It really could take just one failed toe drag, missed assignment, bad pass, etc. to loose all the momentum/mojo we have going, and give it off to a pissed off team.
Exactly, if Caps hold them in first, they'll get really nervous and start make mistakes.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #254 on: Tuesday June 05, 2018, 10:37:22 AM Eastern »
We aren't able to retaliate.  Reaves gave Willie probably his worst loss ever, and outside of Willie no one could take England, Smith, Sbisa, McNabb etc.  Hell Im surprised Gallant didnt take this route earlier.

Its pretty god damn embarrassing.

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #255 on: Tuesday June 05, 2018, 10:51:23 AM Eastern »
We aren't able to retaliate.  Reaves gave Willie probably his worst loss ever, and outside of Willie no one could take England, Smith, Sbisa, McNabb etc.  Hell Im surprised Gallant didnt take this route earlier.

I mean for all the praise you give to Reaves, Matt Niskanen has put him on his but 4 or 5 times this series. Obviously that is less grit in terms of fighting prowess and more Reaves not being the only big body out there. But I feel like we've handled some of their meanest players on the board play and physically fine. Every player you named was whining, complaining, diving, or getting put on their keester at some point this series by Wilson, Orpik, Ovie, Eller, Oshie, or Niskanen.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume we can't fight them if we wanted to, but we don't want to. It makes no sense. Even if we were just standing our ground, chances are the way this series is the refs give us more penalties than not on it. Wilson sadly is going to get called for anything the moment he crosses the line now that Gallant is whining like a little bitch. The Miller hit on Oshie was one that was so sad to see him whine about though. Like how can you defend that? Miller can in like a baby, tried to get a hit on Oshie then when the counter hit created a situation where his own hit hurt him, he was whining like it should be suspension. That is garbage and you know it bud. For all the "tough credit" you give this team, it'd be nice if you owned up and went "hey they are being bitches" when they are. I guess that doesn't fit the narrative of Caps have to choke?

I'm not saying we can't choke. But you can't make EVERYTHING about that. Your known for calling what you see and I always like that about you, your seeing us play good mean hockey and out work and out hit them too, don't see you calling that.

Offline 4 Caps

« Reply #256 on: Tuesday June 05, 2018, 10:57:21 AM Eastern »

What is embarrassing?  That we are up 3 to 1.  We just need to stay the course and not get caught up in the extracurricular nonsense.  Let them take stupid penalties and we will retaliate by putting the puck in their net. 

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #257 on: Tuesday June 05, 2018, 11:23:34 AM Eastern »
Obviously respect your opinion and all that jazz DC, I think your on the money a lot of the time. But I do think you can't not be proud of our group at this point. Vegas had a pretty mean forecheck coming into this series and while structurally we have neutered it, we've always owned up and starting playing a grittier physical team brand of hockey that has to earn this team some favor.

Yes, for sure, overconfidence can kill us, it's always been a killer for us. The moment the narrative shifts to our favor we start to believe the hype too much. I totally agree with you on that. But ignoring all that, we've still been a heck of a hockey team these playoffs and I think there is a lot of guys on our roster who had much needed gut check moments who are now playing way more to their, not skill, size and determination. More people saw what Beagle and Oshie were doing out there and realized that it's that type of hard work above all that has to be there. I have to respect that myself. Even more so when I see Reaves and that 4th line forechecking and watching Kempny not get out manned on the puck or Nisky drop Reaves on a counter hit and stare at him. The frustration we saw out of Vegas at the end of last nights game was just as much about their inability to dicate the 5v5 play of this series. Even in a world where the bounces in the first 10 minutes of the game go in, the rest of that hockey game Vegas was still far too streaky. They aren't playing the way to they are expecting and it's because we are frustrating them and not letting them dictate, even when they get physical.

Obviously still lots of hockey to be played. But I feel like your just ignoring the grit our boys have showed at some point is all. Like nobody could take Engelland, Smith, Sbias Mcnabb etc? Come on. What even etc. are you talking about if Vegas fights with Reaves or McNabb they lose two key players. That is huge for them. Their fourth line and top shutdown pair have literally been the only good things for them on the ice most of this series. But regardless, Orpik has fought and won these playoffs and he's had a return to form playoffs that for me is likely signalling near the end of his career in terms of peak. You see that sometimes. But I'd easily say Orpik could hold his ground or take any of the players not named Reaves you just mentioned. Ovie has fought before, although once but with his leadership he hasn't backed down during scrums. Oshie too. Nisky too, who has fought and delivered big hits on star players in the past. Let's not get wild here. We aren't a bunch of small babies. We have shown that this series. Vegas is smaller than us on the whole, that is just facts. Ryan Reaves for all his grit and size is still only 6'1. Lars Eller is 6'2 at that rate. Wilson towers of Reaves, and the only reason for the big loss during that fight and in general is because Reaves literally trains fighting. But in terms of top fighters left in the NHL Wilson is probably top 3 to Reaves 1 lets be real here. He'd have a chance if he stood his ground.

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #258 on: Tuesday June 05, 2018, 11:36:40 AM Eastern »
Also wowsa, if we are debating defenders in these playoffs and looking at our group. Just looking back through the stats from lsat nights game.

Niskanen Orpik and Kepmny had 15 blocks and 9 hits between them with 0 giveaways. Carlson had 2 giveaways himself. Come on Maaco, we know who the D are who are laying down and getting those shot blocks. Carlson gets a few here or there. But our real D listed there are shot blocking leaders right now for us, defensive leaders, not throwing the puck away unless on an off night etc. I know your a Carlson lover, and he's been much better these playoffs but the people are supporting him better as well. It has a factor, you have to see it.

Offline OldHat

• King Jackass
  • Hockey Deity
  • One Foot in the Grave
« Reply #259 on: Tuesday June 05, 2018, 11:37:22 AM Eastern »
I fear confidence can easily turn into over-cofidence and could become our undoing.

SCF history or not, The Caps still have blown 3-1 series leads before. We have also seen this same team play sloppier and dumber than 12yo-coed rec-league teams this season (and before), so going back to that possible even if unlikely.

I don't see how any long term Caps fan doesn't still have that little whisper of "choke" left.  This team has shown itself to be different so far.  One more game to exorcise the choking dogs demon.  No doubt they can do it, the question is will they?

I posted before, this team is finally doing all the things a team needs to do in the playoffs - pretty much without any let up.  Most importantly as a team - I couldn't be any happier with how this team is playing right now.
What's up babes...