Author Topic: GDT R3G7 Capitals @ Lightning 2018-05-23 8:00pm EST NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS  (Read 63213 times)

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
GDT R3G7 Capitals @ Lightning 2018-05-23 8:00pm EST NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS
« on: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 03:56:06 PM Eastern »

Round 3: Eastern Conference Finals- Game 7
  Series Tied: 3-3
  Wednesday May 23  Tampa Bay Lightning @ Washington Capitals
  Place:  Amalie Arena
  Time: 8:00 p.m.
  TV: NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS
  Radio: 106.7 The Fan, Capitals Radio 24/7
  NHL.COM for Live Box Score
  Last Game: May 21 Capitals Smoked the Lightning 3-0 in regulation at Home.

8-Ovechkin          92-Kuznetsov           43-Wilson
      13-Vrana                19-Bäckström          77-Oshie
      65-Burakovsky      20-Eller                    10-Connolly
      18-Stephenson       83-Beagle                  25-Smith-Pelly

9-Orlov                         2-Niskanen
                   6-Kempny                   74-Carlson
                  44-Orpik                       29-Djoos

70-Holtby  (starter)
                                31-Grubauer

-- SCRATCH --
                                39-Chiasson
                                79-Walker
                                72-Boyd
                                63-Gersich
                                64-Pinho
                                28-Jerabek
                                22-Bowey
                                  1-Copley

-- 1st Powerplay Unit --
    77-Oshie            19-Bäckström           92-Kuznetsov
                  8-Ovechkin            74-Carlson

-- 2nd Powerplay Unit --
   13-Vrana          10-Connolly               20-Eller
                  2-Niskanen              9-Orlov

Referees:   Wes McCauley (#4),    Kelly Sutherland (#11)
Linesmen:   Derek Amell  (#75),    Jonny Murray (#95)
    Standby Referee:   Marc Joannette  (#25)
Standby Linesman:   Matt MacPherson  (#83)
  Series Supervisor:  Paul Devorski 

Tampa Bay's Projected  Lineup

Forwards
Ondrej Palat - Steven Stamkos - Nikita Kucherov
Yanni Gourde - Brayden Point - Tyler Johnson
Alex Killorn - Anthony Cirelli - J.T. Miller
Chris Kunitz - Cedric Paquette - Ryan Callahan

Defensemen
        Victor Hedman — Dan Girardi
       Ryan McDonagh — Anton Stralman
     Braydon Coburn — Mikhail Sergachev

Goaltenders
                  Andrei Vasilevskiy
                  Louis Domingue

1st Period
01:02  GOAL 8-Ovechkin, assists 92-Kuznetsov & 43-Wilson   1-0 WSH

2nd Period
08:59  GOAL 65-Burakovsky, unassisted   2-0 WSH
16:31  GOAL 65-Burakovsky, assist 74-Carlson   3-0 WSH

3rd Period
16:17  GOAL 19-Bäckström, unassisted   4-0 WSH

FINAL:   4-0 WSH

by Isabelle Khurshudyan, Roman Stubbs, Dan Steinberg and Neil Greenberg May 23 at 2:47 PM

2018 NHL Playoffs: Capitals-Lightning Game 7

The Capitals are one win away from playing for the Stanley Cup … and one loss away from elimination. (Jonathan Newton/The Washington Post)

Eastern Conference Finals: Game 7

Washington Capitals vs. Tampa Bay Lightning
Series: Tied 3-3
Wednesday May 23, 8:00 p.m. ET, Amalie Arena
TV: NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS

Remaining schedule
Game 7 Winner moves on to Stanley Cup Final against Las Vegas Golden Knights!

• This will be the 11th Game 7 for captain Alex Ovechkin. (Read more)
  • Capitals goaltender Braden Holtby is coming off his first shutout of the season. (Read more)
  • Washington’s fourth line has been crucial for the team all postseason. (Read more)

Top story lines

Game 7: No NHL team has played in more Game 7s over the past decade than Washington. Ovechkin acknowledged this might be the biggest game of his life, and he seemed to be looking forward to it.

“I think both teams have experience to play those games,” Ovechkin said. “It’s going to be hard, it’s going to be interesting, it’s going to be fun. You know, you play hockey because of these moments. One game. That’s it. Everything on the line.”

Lightning Coach Jon Cooper walked into his pregame news conference and muttered, “Wow.”

“Is something going on tonight?” he cracked.

The Lightning won the Stanley Cup in 2004, and Tampa Bay went to the final three years ago. But much like Ovechkin and center Nicklas Backstrom, the current core of players is still chasing a championship.

“Been to a conference final in three of the last four years,” defenseman Victor Hedman said. “We’ve been close, but haven’t reached our ultimate goal yet. For me and [Steven Stamkos], we’ve almost been here for almost a decade now. We want to win with this organization. We want to bring a Stanley Cup back to Tampa.”

• Physical play: The Capitals outhit the Lightning, 39-19, in Monday’s Game 6, and Washington did so while still controlling possession for most of the game. The Capitals called their bruising play throughout the series “an investment,” hopeful that Tampa Bay players will be worn down by the time Game 7 begins.

“It’s the way we’ve got to play,” center Jay Beagle said emphatically. “I think when we play our best is when we’re physical and we’re dictating the game with how physical we can play. I think that’s obviously a key. You saw it [Monday] night. We have to do it again in Game 7.”

Said defenseman Brooks Orpik: “That’s probably one area where we have an edge is the size and physical play, and over the course of a seven-game series it’s something we talked about. Just when we get opportunities, don’t run out of position, but try to wear them down when you can.”

• Special teams: The Capitals have been smart to stay out of the penalty box the past two games, but when they’ve been tested shorthanded, they’ve impressed. The Lightning’s power play started the series 6-for-13, but the Capitals have killed three straight penalties over the past two games. In Game 6, Tampa Bay managed just one shot on goal with its man-advantage, and Washington matched that while on the penalty kill. So far in this series, the team that’s won the special teams battle has won the game.

“In special teams especially, it’s a cat and mouse every game,” Holtby said. “We’ve got a plan tonight that we’re going to have to execute and adjust if they’ve made adjustments.”

• Road success: Washington has seemed relaxed on the road this postseason, with a 7-2 record away from Capital One Arena. The Capitals have started a superstition, in which one member of the team takes a solo lap before the morning skate, and since Washington lost its last game in Tampa Bay, Ovechkin had to tab someone new to take the lap on Wednesday. In a surprise, he chose Coach Barry Trotz.

“I looked at it this way, real simply: they called my number,” Trotz said. “At this time of year, you’re all in. And so, I was ready. I was surprised. And I was a little bit worried about the turns because the rudders haven’t been sharpened all year. You didn’t see a lot of crossovers there. I used body mass and weight to dig in there. And it was a little bit of a slow lap. You’re all in this time of year. They call your number, you got to step up to the plate. You got to do it. So I appreciated it. They had a good chuckle.

“Obviously we’re pretty loose.”

Players to watch

Braden Holtby: The Capitals have gone as Holtby has during this entire playoff run. In his first 12 postseason starts, the Capitals were 10-2 and Holtby had a .928 save percentage and 2.04 goals against average. In their next three games — losses in Games 3, 4 and 5 to fall behind, 3-2, to the Lightning — Holtby allowed 3.49 goals a contest and posted an .844 save percentage. Then the 28-year-old goaltender pitched his first shutout of the season in the Capitals’ 3-0 season-extending win Monday. How he fares in net Wednesday, especially with standout goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy between the pipes across the ice, will have a major bearing on whether the Capitals move on to the Stanley Cup finals.

“That was last game,” Trotz of Holtby’s Game 6 shutout. “It’s a new game. There’s no … to me nothing really carries over.”

Andrei Vasilevskiy: After giving up 10 goals (and a stunningly low 84 percent save percentage) in the first two games of the series, the young Russian goaltender took plenty of heat. He’s responded with memorable moments in each of the last four games. He had a series-high 38 saves in Game 3. He single-handedly stole Game 4 with the best postseason performance of his career. He made several crucial stops in the final minutes to stave off a Washington comeback in Game 5, and he was a lone bright spot in a shutout loss in Game 6. Whatever the 23-year-old has in store for Game 7, Tampa Bay is focused on giving him support after its worst showing of the series.

“We know we have to be better, there’s no doubt about that. We watched the tape, went over the game plan,” Tampa Bay captain Steven Stamkos said of Game 6. “There’s not a lot to be said when you get into a scenario like this. We’ll elevate our game, no doubt about that.”

Pregame reading

Immerse yourself in the Capitals’ postseason with The Post’s coverage of the Stanley Cup playoffs:

Capitals’ grinders are at the center of extraordinary playoff moments
Boswell: The Capitals’ best chance to shed their demons? Embrace the moment.
Tampa Bay is no stranger to Game 7 in Eastern Conference finals
Bog: Was Caps’ win the greatest in Capital One Arena history? It looked and sounded like it.
It’s not just you: The Caps really do play an absurd number of Game 7s
The Capitals haven’t been bad in Game 7s, they’ve just been unlucky
‘The biggest game of our life’: Capitals brace for Game 7 vs. Lightning
Game 7 puts Capitals’ Alex Ovechkin in familiar role: Squarely in the spotlight
Signed for moments just like these, T.J. Oshie cashes in to keep Capitals alive
Braden Holtby picks the perfect time to play his best game for the Capitals
Lightning’s Andrei Vasilevskiy was brilliant once more, but was beaten because his teammates were not
The Capitals need a hero, and it needs to be Braden Holtby
The Lightning knows what’s at stake in Game 6: A chance to rest
Capitals’ Matt Niskanen is quick to take blame but deserves more of the credit
The Capitals got themselves into this mess, but they’re staying the course
Svrluga: The Capitals have spent all their house money. Do they have anything in reserve?
Unburdened by previous playoff baggage, Capitals’ young players help carry the load
After being blamed for Game 3 loss, Caps fans destroy broom signed by Nicklas Backstrom
I’ll have what Alex Ovechkin is having: Fans can’t get enough of Mamma Lucia’s chicken Parmesan
Steven Stamkos is healthy, confident and ready to lead the Lightning’s comeback
Barry Trotz lacks a contract extension, but has perspective as Capitals pursue Stanley Cup
« Last Edit: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 11:51:43 PM Eastern by ArJunaZ »
Be careful what you ask for America; you just might get it.

Offline apace41

• Hockey Deity
Re: GDT R3G7 Capitals @ Lightning 2018-05-23 8:00pm EST NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 04:25:28 PM Eastern »
Critical issue -- everybody get on board with rooting hard for the Nats against the Padres this afternoon.  It seems that Caps only win when the Nats win. 

G1: Nats Beat Arizona -- Caps win
G2: Nats Beat Arizona -- Caps win
G3: Nats Rain out -- Caps lose
G4: Nats Rain out -- Caps lose
G5: Nats Lose -- Caps lose
G6: Nats Beat San Diego -- Caps win

Very important that the Nats win today!

Offline Surreylily

• I can start fire with two hard drives
  • Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 04:26:16 PM Eastern »
Ovi with the GWG.......  refs permitting.......... :wackysmile:

Offline OnlyCaps2

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 04:28:42 PM Eastern »
Nervous and excited!!!
Wes McCauley and crew, please call a good game.

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 04:37:31 PM Eastern »

Another 3-0 victory.  Goals by Kuzy, Connelly and Ovi.

This is the most exciting night we have had as Caps fans!!!!

Offline Surreylily

• Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 04:40:22 PM Eastern »
Nervous and excited!!!
Wes McCauley and crew, please call a good game.

Good luck with that!   :rofl:   Even the back up ref, Joanette, is one of the top anti Cap officials.
I am

Offline OnlyCaps2

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 04:45:27 PM Eastern »

Good luck with that!   :rofl:   Even the back up ref, Joanette, is one of the top anti Cap officials.
Hi Lilly, as long as the non-calls or phantom calls are equal for both sides!! We know they will get some wrong.  8)

Offline Surreylily

• Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 04:52:04 PM Eastern »
Hi Lilly, as long as the non-calls or phantom calls are equal for both sides!! We know they will get some wrong.  8)

Like I said..........    :P
I am

Offline HoustonCapsFan

• Third Coast Hockey Fan
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 05:10:26 PM Eastern »
Critical issue -- everybody get on board with rooting hard for the Nats against the Padres this afternoon.  It seems that Caps only win when the Nats win. 

G1: Nats Beat Arizona -- Caps win
G2: Nats Beat Arizona -- Caps win
G3: Nats Rain out -- Caps lose
G4: Nats Rain out -- Caps lose
G5: Nats Lose -- Caps lose
G6: Nats Beat San Diego -- Caps win

Very important that the Nats win today!

Top 4, 0-0 C'mon Nats!

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 06:06:19 PM Eastern »
It's a game  7. They better not be calling imaginary shit and missing critical penalties that lead to goals against like they did in game 5.

Offline KitFisto

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 06:07:12 PM Eastern »
Looks like a Nats loss. Seasons over.

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 06:12:50 PM Eastern »
Hey everyone, how them nerves going?

Apart of me wants to be proud of whatever happens. I think the team has showed some serious heart and evolution these playoffs. Yes, I know I know, Cup or bust. Absolutely. But if it is bust, at least some growing pains were handled, some evolution happened, and the narrative shifted even if slightly. I said it before but experience is so important for going on deep playoff runs most of the time. The west had a wild year for some first timers but look at Tampa they've been in these spots tons. Pitt was the same previous, and so were a lot of Cup winners.

It sucks that we finally get a deeper playoff run so late into Ovie and Nicky's careers, but at this point as a fan I'd of taken anything from this season.

Now all that said. I don't want to be too optimistic about tonights chances because with how things go for us, you never know. But despite my nerves, I have more confidence in this group that I ever have. So there is that. I believe there is absolutely a way where the Caps get into that arena and walk away with a W and a first cup final with Ovechkin. Just about the execution.

I feel like regardless of what happens tonight for me, the narrative of this season and especially this playoffs is growth in surprising places. I feel far more confident in our forward and defensive depth than I used to, and it's because of players like Wilson, Stephenson, Vrana, Kempny and Oshie. The first three are all draft picks for us and seeing the evolution of their games, Wilson settling into not just a great agitator and physical presence but a scoring threat, and an asset on the forecheck. Stephenson has become a hustle machine, he's like if Brooks Laich could of actually skated fast and not just had hustle. He works, he's an excellent PK guy and he is comfortable playing any forward position to boot. With faceoff skills as a former natural center. Vrana has impressed me these playoffs, he's been fast yes, but he's now finally learning to utilize his speed to hit. Yes hit. He forechecked a bunch these playoffs, and his defensive stick has been more active. He may not be a defensive wizard, but he's committed, he cares. Kempny is just a surprise for me, we needed another Top 4 D who simply could be steady, not look out of place out there. I have no idea how Chicago let him go, maybe it was just a placement thing, he needed the right roster and role to excel. But he's looked very steady next to Carlson in big hard games and seems none the worse wear and tear wise. One of BMGM's few surprise "hits" in regards to trading honestly. Lastly Oshie, if we ever lose Ovechkin it's either Oshie or Beagle that gets the C imo. I don't know if people remember this but Oshie was injured heading into the playoffs and hasn't been playing 100% all playoffs health wise. Yet he's still out there making a difference in every facet of the ice. Forecheck, PP, PK, cycle, backcheck, netural clog, net presence. I mean he out works more than one defender on the ice while injured.

A lot of those names are players who are younger, and signed to us for a decent length of time. So my reason for optimism is that those are names that have shown growth in the crucial playoff games and they certainly make our future seem far less bleak than I had originally thought heading into the season.

Anyway, rant over, let's go Caps crazy Game 7 I can't wait but also don't know if I can take it.

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 06:20:11 PM Eastern »

Offline Surreylily

• Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 06:29:09 PM Eastern »
Hey everyone, how them nerves going?

Apart of me wants to be proud of whatever happens. I think the team has showed some serious heart and evolution these playoffs. Yes, I know I know, Cup or bust. Absolutely. But if it is bust, at least some growing pains were handled, some evolution happened, and the narrative shifted even if slightly. I said it before but experience is so important for going on deep playoff runs most of the time. The west had a wild year for some first timers but look at Tampa they've been in these spots tons. Pitt was the same previous, and so were a lot of Cup winners.

It sucks that we finally get a deeper playoff run so late into Ovie and Nicky's careers, but at this point as a fan I'd of taken anything from this season.

Now all that said. I don't want to be too optimistic about tonights chances because with how things go for us, you never know. But despite my nerves, I have more confidence in this group that I ever have. So there is that. I believe there is absolutely a way where the Caps get into that arena and walk away with a W and a first conference final. Just about the execution.

I feel like regardless of what happens tonight for me, the narrative of this season and especially this playoffs is growth in surprising places. I feel far more confident in our forward and defensive depth than I used to, and it's because of players like Wilson, Stephenson, Vrana, Kempny and Oshie. The first three are all draft picks for us and seeing the evolution of their games, Wilson settling into not just a great agitator and physical presence but a scoring threat, and an asset on the forecheck. Stephenson has become a hustle machine, he's like if Brooks Laich could of actually skated fast and not just had hustle. He works, he's an excellent PK guy and he is comfortable playing any forward position to boot. With faceoff skills as a former natural center. Vrana has impressed me these playoffs, he's been fast yes, but he's now finally learning to utilize his speed to hit. Yes hit. He forechecked a bunch these playoffs, and his defensive stick has been more active. He may not be a defensive wizard, but he's committed, he cares. Kempny is just a surprise for me, we needed another Top 4 D who simply could be steady, not look out of place out there. I have no idea how Chicago let him go, maybe it was just a placement thing, he needed the right roster and role to excel. But he's looked very steady next to Carlson in big hard games and seems none the worse wear and tear wise. One of BMGM's few surprise "hits" in regards to trading honestly. Lastly Oshie, if we ever lose Ovechkin it's either Oshie or Beagle that gets the C imo. I don't know if people remember this but Oshie was injured heading into the playoffs and hasn't been playing 100% all playoffs health wise. Yet he's still out there making a difference in every facet of the ice. Forecheck, PP, PK, cycle, backcheck, netural clog, net presence. I mean he out works more than one defender on the ice while injured.

A lot of those names are players who are younger, and signed to us for a decent length of time. So my reason for optimism is that those are names that have shown growth in the crucial playoff games and they certainly make our future seem far less bleak than I had originally thought heading into the season.

Anyway, rant over, let's go Caps crazy Game 7 I can't wait but also don't know if I can take it.
I do kind of understand it though.  I'm bracing myself also.   :sick:
« Last Edit: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 07:53:43 PM Eastern by DC_1908 »
I am

Offline Surreylily

• Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 06:34:13 PM Eastern »
It's a game  7. They better not be calling imaginary shit and missing critical penalties that lead to goals against like they did in game 5.

Lol!  Did a recap of the interviews and stuff on the Caps site and in one of Ovi's interviews a reporter asked if he remembered his first Game 7.  Ovi replied, "Yes.  The refs".   He also made a snide comment that things hadn't changed much since.......... 8)
I am

Offline mayka1979

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 06:45:23 PM Eastern »
LETS GO CAPSSSSSSSSSS !!!!

MY HOTEL IS ALREADY BOOKED FOR WASHINGTON !!!
LETS GO CAPS !!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 06:47:40 PM Eastern »
Honestly, I am pretty calm and confident.  I know that we're the better team when we show up.  How can you not show up for a game 7? Knock on wood!
This should be an awesome smashing game!

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 07:04:10 PM Eastern »
I snapped this picture off the TV for those who can't watch the pregame show. Locker is wearing a Rock the Red  wig.

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 07:08:00 PM Eastern »
I snapped this picture off the TV for those who can't watch the pregame show. Locker is wearing a Rock the Red  wig.

Locker is legend.

Offline Surreylily

• Hockey Deity
  • Pond Jumper
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday May 23, 2018, 07:09:09 PM Eastern »
I tried to play some poker, to divert my attention for a little bit and while I cashed in the first game, it went pretty downhill, pretty fast  from there........... :poop:   So I've given up and given in.
I now have full Caps regalia going on.  Grey Winter Classic t-shirt ('cos it's an away game), my FABULOUS Caps onesie, my Caps hoodie, in case it get's a little chilly - which I doubt and my Caps cap.  If I could remember where I put my Weagle earrings, I would have them on too.
I am