Author Topic: GDT R3G5 Capitals @ Lightning 2018-05-19 7:15pm EST NBC, CBC, TVAS  (Read 35026 times)

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
Re: GDT R3G5 Capitals @ Lightning 2018-05-19 7:15pm EST NBC, CBC, TVAS
« Reply #60 on: Saturday May 19, 2018, 08:57:37 PM Eastern »
   So you think we should have protected 4 dmen? That's what vI thought bwe should do right from the start. Everyone thought we would lose Grubvauer I knew we would lose Schmidt. Good dmen are hard to find.
I think we should if protected a budding player with a cheap contract and left GMGM with the choice of desirable players with contracts that would be a detourant so he takes Grubby, etc. So we end up in the same, or better,  salary situation, plus Schmidt, and worse case,eventually having to choose between Schmidt and Carlson

GMBetaMale had the biggest advantage of any GM.  It was his former boss for fuck sakes.  He scouted the players with him, he knew his philosophies, he had cap room, he had everything . . . But now we have a shitty DCorps and GMGM has an elite Dman thats better then anyone we have, particularly the ones that were protected.

Offline apace41

• Hockey Deity
« Reply #61 on: Saturday May 19, 2018, 09:06:34 PM Eastern »
   So you think we should have protected 4 dmen? That's what vI thought bwe should do right from the start. Everyone thought we would lose Grubvauer I knew we would lose Schmidt. Good dmen are hard to find.

100%.  You protect the best PLAYERS with the most future upside.  Not by position.  You can always fill in.

Offline apace41

• Hockey Deity
« Reply #62 on: Saturday May 19, 2018, 09:07:36 PM Eastern »
Someone explain to me how a professional hockey team in a game 5 of a 2-2 series doesn't show up for the first 21 minutes of the game?  Unfuckingreal.

Maacoshark

« Reply #63 on: Saturday May 19, 2018, 09:08:10 PM Eastern »
I think we should if protected a budding player with a cheap contract and left GMGM with the choice of desirable players with contracts that would be a detourant so he takes Grubby etc. and we end up in the same salary situation, plus Schmidt, and eventually having to choose between Schmidt and Carlson

GMBetaMale had the biggest advantage of any GM.  It was his former boss for fuck sakes.  He scouted the players with him, he knew his philosophies, he had cap room, he had everything . . . But now we have a shitty DCorps and GMGM has an elite Dman thats better then anyone we have, particularly the ones that were protected.
   Odd that you like Schmidt since he is one of those pucking moving dmen that you normally don't like. I still don't think Schmidt is a shutdown dman. Vegas is playing a defensive system that relies in all 5 guys. They dont really have a shutdown guy.
   Apparently we don't either. Niskanen is suoposed to be but he is playing like a rookie. He has been our worst player tonight, although Orlov is giving him a good run.

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
« Reply #64 on: Saturday May 19, 2018, 09:08:46 PM Eastern »
Our lack of passing skills continues to blow my mind. I fucking hate the dump ins and pass and pray bullshit. We are still refusing to crash the net. We missed a few great chances at goals if only more than two Caps were in the offensive zone instead of  waiting back at the blue line.  It's not like the Bolts were all back on the blue line too. The Bolts were back checking in force, so we need to be in there FIGHTING.  IT'S FUCKING MIND BOGGLING. You can't score unless you attack!
Be careful what you ask for America; you just might get it.

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #65 on: Saturday May 19, 2018, 09:08:57 PM Eastern »
Yeah for me the Schmidt debate was always a matter of protecting him over Carlson. It isn't just due to Carlsons weaker areas in the D zone and the fact that his speed isn't what it used to be especially compared to Schmidt. It was all contracts. I don't think we resign John Carlson. He'll cost too much. He'll get a lot on the open market. So at that point we let Schmidt to keep Carlson until he hits FA next season. GMGM probably would of taken Gruby over Carlson honestly with the contract situation and age all factoring in. Or taken Carlson and traded him.

Better period for us, especially the last ten minutes we started to really push the forecheck. We need to keep getting dirty chances at the net and frustrate their goalie, maybe they can make a game of this yet but I'm not holding my breath. Tough to play down so much and TB knew it. The first period effort is likely to cost us the game.

Maacoshark

« Reply #66 on: Saturday May 19, 2018, 09:10:35 PM Eastern »

100%.  You protect the best PLAYERS with the most future upside.  Not by position.  You can always fill in.
   The rules dictated how many players from each position we were allowed to protect. We had the choice if 3 dmen and 7 forwards which we did or 4 dmen and 4 forwards.

Maacoshark

« Reply #67 on: Saturday May 19, 2018, 09:11:41 PM Eastern »
Yeah for me the Schmidt debate was always a matter of protecting him over Carlson. It isn't just due to Carlsons weaker areas in the D zone and the fact that his speed isn't what it used to be especially compared to Schmidt. It was all contracts. I don't think we resign John Carlson. He'll cost too much. He'll get a lot on the open market. So at that point we let Schmidt to keep Carlson until he hits FA next season. GMGM probably would of taken Gruby over Carlson honestly with the contract situation and age all factoring in. Or taken Carlson and traded him.

Better period for us, especially the last ten minutes we started to really push the forecheck. We need to keep getting dirty chances at the net and frustrate their goalie, maybe they can make a game of this yet but I'm not holding my breath. Tough to play down so much and TB knew it. The first period effort is likely to cost us the game.
   Schmidt isn't better than Carlson defensively. He is in a better defensive system.

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
« Reply #68 on: Saturday May 19, 2018, 09:11:45 PM Eastern »
One more thing. Why are we not beating the shit out of the Bolts and finishing our checks like tanks running over these little guys? Since game 1 we have stopped using our size advantage to wear these punks down.

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #69 on: Saturday May 19, 2018, 09:12:25 PM Eastern »
Doesn't look good, carry on loosing stick.

Maacoshark

« Reply #70 on: Saturday May 19, 2018, 09:13:17 PM Eastern »
No pps yet for guys tonight. Bad thing is the one penalty Tampa should have gotten resulted in a goal against us. That play could have been a turning point.

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #71 on: Saturday May 19, 2018, 09:18:47 PM Eastern »
   Schmidt isn't better than Carlson defensively. He is in a better defensive system.

Eh, maybe agree to disagree here. I think it's a tough argument because I think that Carlson has the higher upside to make a better defensive play. But I also think that, for the minutes he plays, the type of mistakes sometimes that Carlson makes are World Jr levels. I feel like Schmidt fits better into a more well coached system, and doesn't stick out.

Ultimately you may be right, Carlson might be all things considered a better defensive player. But Carlson is the one more likely to commit a boneheaded mistake at a key moment, costing the team. He's also the one more likely to commit a good underrated defensive play that leads to a big goal or win too. Sometimes though I think we run with a bit too many Carlsons in our line up. Players that swing too hard, it's a big reason I felt our identity was that. Bending with the narrative, the highs are high the lows are low, if you will.

See the debate I was having earlier about the rookies in the line up. Sometimes, as much as it sucks you'd rather have a plug to fit into the line up and not cause any waves than someone who has more to offer but has high risk and high reward type qualities.

Offline OldHat

• King Jackass
  • Hockey Deity
  • One Foot in the Grave
« Reply #72 on: Saturday May 19, 2018, 09:20:11 PM Eastern »
Caps can score three goals and win this period...  will they?
What's up babes...

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #73 on: Saturday May 19, 2018, 09:21:00 PM Eastern »
The Caps must be in panic mode.

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #74 on: Saturday May 19, 2018, 09:22:18 PM Eastern »

Hell the Caps, if pushed and hungry can score 6 goals in a period and utterly dismantle a team. Even this squad can. We absolutely need Mr. Hyde tonight though, not the Dr. Jekyl we got in the first period.

Maacoshark

« Reply #75 on: Saturday May 19, 2018, 09:25:02 PM Eastern »

Eh, maybe agree to disagree here. I think it's a tough argument because I think that Carlson has the higher upside to make a better defensive play. But I also think that, for the minutes he plays, the type of mistakes sometimes that Carlson makes are World Jr levels. I feel like Schmidt fits better into a more well coached system, and doesn't stick out.

Ultimately you may be right, Carlson might be all things considered a better defensive player. But Carlson is the one more likely to commit a boneheaded mistake at a key moment, costing the team. He's also the one more likely to commit a good underrated defensive play that leads to a big goal or win too. Sometimes though I think we run with a bit too many Carlsons in our line up. Players that swing too hard, it's a big reason I felt our identity was that. Bending with the narrative, the highs are high the lows are low, if you will.

See the debate I was having earlier about the rookies in the line up. Sometimes, as much as it sucks you'd rather have a plug to fit into the line up and not cause any waves than someone who has more to offer but has high risk and high reward type qualities.
   Lol you talk about Carlson making bonehead plays but he hasn't really done that in these playoffs. You should be discussing Niskanen and Orlov making bonehead plays.

Offline newtoCapsparty

« Reply #76 on: Saturday May 19, 2018, 09:26:28 PM Eastern »
At this point, I am praying for overtime!   ;D

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
« Reply #77 on: Saturday May 19, 2018, 09:32:48 PM Eastern »
   Lol you talk about Carlson making bonehead plays but he hasn't really done that in these playoffs. You should be discussing Niskanen and Orlov making bonehead plays.

You are delusional. Carlson, although much improved, easily owns the lead in bonehead moves even if you combined those of Nisky and Orly.

Offline IDontGiveaChuk

• Poop
« Reply #78 on: Saturday May 19, 2018, 09:35:17 PM Eastern »
You are delusional. Carlson, although much improved, easily owns the lead in bonehead moves even if you combined those of Nisky and Orly.

No way! Agree to disagree. Never know what is going to happen when the puck is on nisky's stick. He's a turnover machine in his zone. You can ALMOST say the same about Orlov but not quite, imo.

Maacoshark

« Reply #79 on: Saturday May 19, 2018, 09:35:50 PM Eastern »
   Not in these playoffs. He has been lights years ahead of any other dman on this team. Defensive zone included.