Author Topic: GDT R2G6 Capitals @ Penguins 2018-05-07 7:00pm EST NBCSN, SN, TVAS  (Read 51905 times)

Offline justwincaps

• Advanced Member
Re: GDT R2G6 Capitals @ Penguins 2018-05-07 7:00pm EST NBCSN, SN, TVAS
« Reply #140 on: Monday May 07, 2018, 10:49:22 PM Eastern »

Best team defensive game of the year... By far...

Damn straight.   The kids played beyond their experience.  The D was spectacular.  Holts was the HOlts we know and love.  Russian assassins [Orlov to Ovie to Kuzy] on the GWG. 
All without Backstrom, and Burky and Wilson.  Hopefully at least Backstrom will be back, we know willy will and will be rested and ready.

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #141 on: Monday May 07, 2018, 10:51:13 PM Eastern »
The reason we won this series is because Holtby stole a couple of games and was fantastic the whole series.  If he had played last year against Pittsburgh like he did this series we would have won that series too. 

I also agree that this win should ensure that Trotz will be back next season.

Who says that it is just the Organization that has been unsure whether Trotz would be returning?  Maybe Trotz doesn't want to come back for some reason.

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
« Reply #142 on: Monday May 07, 2018, 10:53:00 PM Eastern »

1st Period
None

2nd Period
02:13  GOAL 39-Chiasson, assists 79-Walker & 83-Beagle   1-0 WSH
11:52  Hens GOAL Letang, assists Dumoulin & Crosby   1-1 TIE

3rd Period
None

OT
05:27  GOAL 92-Kuznetsov, assists 8-Ovechkin & 9-Orlov   2-1 WSH

FINAL:    2-1 WSH
Be careful what you ask for America; you just might get it.

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #143 on: Monday May 07, 2018, 10:53:29 PM Eastern »

Who says that it is just the Organization that has been unsure whether Trotz would be returning?  Maybe Trotz doesn't want to come back for some reason.

Nah it's just media hype. The media already bought into the idea that we'd lose in the 2nd round just like a lot of us did to be honest. The pattern was already set. And the "rumors" were started that our GM would look to save his own job by making a change following another 2nd round exit. But just rumors imo.

Offline Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #144 on: Monday May 07, 2018, 10:58:42 PM Eastern »

I didn't get the NBC broadcast. I would love to hear Pierre's reaction.

Basically silence.. Penis was silent and Pillsbury was offended, as usual. You'd never know the Caps exorcised a demon.

Offline HoustonCapsFan

• Third Coast Hockey Fan
« Reply #145 on: Monday May 07, 2018, 11:01:25 PM Eastern »
I'm still all keyed up and can't sit still.  Great win.  Now lets get behind Nashville (at least for tonight) to buy some rest and recovery time for us.

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
« Reply #146 on: Monday May 07, 2018, 11:02:57 PM Eastern »
I have to give a shout out to the refs who did a pretty good job in this game. They maybe should have called a couple on the Hens which they chose not too, but at least they did not inject themselves to become the story.  It would be nice if this could be the case in all playoff games instead of only 2 of 6 games.  I still am grateful that tonight was a good showing from them.
 :thumbsup:

Offline newtoCapsparty

« Reply #147 on: Monday May 07, 2018, 11:10:22 PM Eastern »
Goodnight, all!  Watching the happy people on Caps Overtime show and then will enjoy watching the game again! 

canadiancapman

« Reply #148 on: Monday May 07, 2018, 11:27:20 PM Eastern »
   And to think he wasnt even the starter at the beginning of the playoffs. Maybe it was a wakeup call for him. This is by far the best he has played all year.

I said that in an earlier thread when people were questioning the start of grubauer for the first game. I think that decision made Holtby hungry and the goalie he's been since taking back over the starting position. Hotlby was the main reason we won the series (not taking anything away from the rest of the team though because they played great as well). Goaltending in the playoffs is the main reason most teams winand we've finally got the better end of it after soooo many years of outplaying the opposition but having games stolen by the other teams netminder. Halak and Montreal comes to mind the most. Ecstatic right now and didn't actually think we could pull it off. On cloud 9. These guys deserve this and have to keep it going. Go Caps go!!!!!!

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
« Reply #149 on: Monday May 07, 2018, 11:33:56 PM Eastern »

I said that in an earlier thread when people were questioning the start of grubauer for the first game. I think that decision made Holtby hungry and the goalie he's been since taking back over the starting position. Hotlby was the main reason we won the series (not taking anything away from the rest of the team though because they played great as well). Goaltending in the playoffs is the main reason most teams winand we've finally got the better end of it after soooo many years of outplaying the opposition but having games stolen by the other teams netminder. Halak and Montreal comes to mind the most. Ecstatic right now and didn't actually think we could pull it off. On cloud 9. These guys deserve this and have to keep it going. Go Caps go!!!!!!

Welcome to the Forum.

Agreed, Holtby was HUGE!  We also had the entire team contributing and playing their parts with tremendous heart. Heart is something we've lacked in years past.

Today was a great day.  I feel we have more of those coming. :thumbsup:

canadiancapman

« Reply #150 on: Monday May 07, 2018, 11:43:17 PM Eastern »
Welcome to the Forum.

Agreed, Holtby was HUGE!  We also had the entire team contributing and playing their parts with tremendous heart. Heart is something we've lacked in years past.

Today was a great day.  I feel we have more of those coming. :thumbsup:
Yes I agree they all played well and made sure I said that but Holtby made the big saves when needed. The same saves that always seemed to go against us way too many times in the past. I've been a fan of this team since the bondra and Kolzig days and living in Canada all I hear about is this teams previous failures. I've never been more satisfied with this teamthan I was tonight when Kuznetsov scored(thats my 6 month old dog's name btw). I felt like had we not won it tonight that we probably wouldn't have been on the right side of game 7 like last year which I attended.

Maacoshark

« Reply #151 on: Monday May 07, 2018, 11:45:57 PM Eastern »

I was the one that was probably the most vocal about Grubauer starting. I just didn't think he had what it took. It didn't cost us but if we lost that series against Columbus it would have been something I would never let go.

Maacoshark

« Reply #152 on: Monday May 07, 2018, 11:49:33 PM Eastern »
Whatever happened to Surrily and PuckNrush?
   Not sure about Lily but Rush is no longer a member in the board. Rush did phone me tonight and we had a very good conversation about this series win. He is as happy as the rest of us that we finally beat the Pens.

Offline IDontGiveaChuk

• Poop
« Reply #153 on: Tuesday May 08, 2018, 12:10:19 AM Eastern »
Great last shift by Kuz to knock the puck off Crosby's stick before it got back to him for the score.

Offline HoustonCapsFan

• Third Coast Hockey Fan
« Reply #154 on: Tuesday May 08, 2018, 07:10:36 AM Eastern »
Here is a question. If Kuzy doesn’t score, do the refs actually call the penalty on Letang for throwing his stick?

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #155 on: Tuesday May 08, 2018, 07:24:28 AM Eastern »
I heard this on EpN this AM. . . Walton lost his shit! :wackysmile:

Offline newtoCapsparty

« Reply #156 on: Tuesday May 08, 2018, 07:34:26 AM Eastern »
Good day, good day, good day!!  Love the Junkies on the radio after a Caps win!  Could listen to Caps victory talk on the radio all day today--they deserve it.  Victory makes the day so much nicer. 

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #157 on: Tuesday May 08, 2018, 07:51:27 AM Eastern »
Well that’s done. . . Not like we need reminded “first time in 20yrs” by anyone anymore. . .

But, let’s not get to wrapped up in drama and storyline.

This was a trap game for the Hens, we where just forced to set it.  Think about how often, and in how many big games we’ve played each other over the past 10years.  Then consider the relativ small changes to our system, personnel, and next to no line changes over that time, and particularly the last two.   
Then throw in how our record after three wins in the second round.

We caught the enemy over confident and under prepared.

They had less than a day to adjust schemes,situations and matchups they’ve used for 10years to players in different positions and some they’ve never seen, who are fresh with high energy.

The “way to beat the Caps” is less effective when the lineup and positions shuffle

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #158 on: Tuesday May 08, 2018, 08:09:01 AM Eastern »
Well that’s done. . . Not like we need reminded “first time in 20yrs” by anyone anymore. . .

But, let’s not get to wrapped up in drama and storyline.

This was a trap game for the Hens, we where just forced to set it.  Think about how often, and in how many big games we’ve played each other over the past 10years.  Then consider the relativ small changes to our system, personnel, and next to no line changes over that time, and particularly the last two.   
Then throw in how our record after three wins in the second round.

We caught the enemy over confident and under prepared.

They had less than a day to adjust schemes,situations and matchups they’ve used for 10years to players in different positions and some they’ve never seen, who are fresh with high energy.

The “way to beat the Caps” is less effective when the lineup and positions shuffle

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to call you on this baloney.

An elimination game can NEVER be a trap game.  C'mon, if the shoe is on the other foot (and heaven knows it has been a number of times over the past decade), you'd NEVER allow the excuses that the opponent had new players in the lineup, or the team didn't have sufficient time to prepare, or the other team's goalie had a great game (which Holtby did last night).  You KNOW you'd say that those types of excuses are for losers.  So if you're not going to allow that kind of thinking to let the Caps off the hook when they lose, then don't use it to minimize what they accomplished last night under what were challenging circumstances for them.

If I recall, a few weeks ago you said they weren't going to win even a single game in the second round.  And if I recall, you commented about Tampa being a small and not very strong team at the beginning of the playoffs.  Funny how perceptions can change in a few weeks.

Offline OldHat

• King Jackass
  • Hockey Deity
  • One Foot in the Grave
« Reply #159 on: Tuesday May 08, 2018, 08:12:42 AM Eastern »
Somebody put a kuzy sweater on the Mario statue....
What's up babes...