Author Topic: GDT R2G5 Penguins @ Capitals 2018-05-05 7:00pm EST NBC, SN, TVAS  (Read 84325 times)

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
Re: GDT R2G5 Penguins @ Capitals 2018-05-05 7:00pm EST NBC, SN, TVAS
« Reply #300 on: Sunday May 06, 2018, 03:23:59 PM Eastern »
Trotz should play Vrana more in first line in the regular season. It's not need to be a genius to predict that at most critical moment Willson can be suspended. Vrana was the difference between loosing and winning during the last two games. There is a risk, it why he should be played more and prepared more during the regular season.
He’s a flat out defenseivr liability, with no physical or possession game. . . Which you don’t need more of on a line with Kuzy and Ovie

Maacoshark

« Reply #301 on: Sunday May 06, 2018, 03:26:38 PM Eastern »
Trotz should play Vrana more in first line in the regular season. It's not need to be a genius to predict that at most critical moment Willson can be suspended. Vrana was the difference between loosing and winning during the last two games. There is a risk, it why he should be played more and prepared more during the regular season.
    He did start off the season the top 6 and played OK at first. Then he went on a 21game goalless streak. Trotz did comment that Vrana has to learn other ways to contribute when he isn't scoring. I agree with that. He is good when he is scoring. When he isn't he hurts us more than he helps.

Maacoshark

« Reply #302 on: Sunday May 06, 2018, 03:30:44 PM Eastern »
He’s a flat out defenseivr liability, with no physical or possession game. . . Which you don’t need more of on a line with Kuzy and Ovie
    I agree. We needed some offensive jump so they threw him on that line and it worked for one period. Might not work in Pittsburgh when they get last change and will match up Cosby against the Kuzy line. If Vrana plays top 6 he would be better suited on the Backstrom line so he can be sheltered a bit because of better defensive linemates.
    Kuzy, Ovi and Vrana on a line long term against the Crosby line is a recipe for disaster.

Offline 4 Caps

« Reply #303 on: Sunday May 06, 2018, 03:45:42 PM Eastern »
    I agree. We needed some offensive jump so they threw him on that line and it worked for one period. Might not work in Pittsburgh when they get last change and will match up Cosby against the Kuzy line. If Vrana plays top 6 he would be better suited on the Backstrom line so he can be sheltered a bit because of better defensive linemates.
    Kuzy, Ovi and Vrana on a line long term against the Crosby line is a recipe for disaster.

I agree that since Pittsburgh has the last line change having Vrana on Kuzy and Ovi’s line may be a problem defensively tomorrow night.  I would like to see Stephenson moved up to the first line and have Vrana play with Backstrom and Oshie, that is assuming of course Backstrom is playing.  Vrana would provide another offensive threat on that line and Stephenson would provide a defensive presence on the first line. 

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #304 on: Sunday May 06, 2018, 04:21:56 PM Eastern »
I admit that issue, but instead of steady development of the player during reg season, Trotz neglected it in favor of highest numer of points. What to do now? If the first line is not agile, we will lose it. I have read one thought, use Vrana on first line at third, when an opposite team is tired. I don't know if it is the way, but may be.   

Maacoshark

« Reply #305 on: Sunday May 06, 2018, 04:27:33 PM Eastern »
I admit that issue, but instead of steady development of the player during reg season, Trotz neglected it in favor of highest numer of points. What to do now? If the first line is not agile, we will lose it. I have read one thought, use Vrana on first line at third, when an opposite team is tired. I don't know if it is the way, but may be.   
    Trotz probably dealt with Vrana the right way. He wasn't scoring and he was a liability defensively. After so many games of nothing something gas to be done. You can't reward a player that isn't contributing in anyway. We have had similar problems with Burakovsky.

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #306 on: Sunday May 06, 2018, 04:28:32 PM Eastern »

I agree that since Pittsburgh has the last line change having Vrana on Kuzy and Ovi’s line may be a problem defensively tomorrow night.  I would like to see Stephenson moved up to the first line and have Vrana play with Backstrom and Oshie, that is assuming of course Backstrom is playing.  Vrana would provide another offensive threat on that line and Stephenson would provide a defensive presence on the first line.
I like what you are saying. Vrana on second has more sense because Backstrom and Oshie are better defensive players than Ovie-Kuzya combo. Also Pens can do better matching.

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #307 on: Sunday May 06, 2018, 04:34:52 PM Eastern »
    Trotz probably dealt with Vrana the right way. He wasn't scoring and he was a liability defensively. After so many games of nothing something gas to be done. You can't reward a player that isn't contributing in anyway. We have had similar problems with Burakovsky.
I believe Vrana has this ability to be if not a super star, then something very close. Then considering a magnitude of talent, coach has to figure out what problem is, and address it. And if coaches cannot develop Bura and Vrana, then it is too bad.   

Maacoshark

« Reply #308 on: Sunday May 06, 2018, 05:20:35 PM Eastern »
I believe Vrana has this ability to be if not a super star, then something very close. Then considering a magnitude of talent, coach has to figure out what problem is, and address it. And if coaches cannot develop Bura and Vrana, then it is too bad.   
   Vrana is still a rookie. He has good skills but needs to improve the rest of his game. I think he could be a good player in this league. I'm not sure about Burakovsky.

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #309 on: Sunday May 06, 2018, 06:26:21 PM Eastern »
   Vrana is still a rookie. He has good skills but needs to improve the rest of his game.
Certainly he is and with departure skilled players after the last season it is need to accelerate his development. He is already 22 and he plays wing, which development is not as difficult as center.   

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #310 on: Sunday May 06, 2018, 08:02:35 PM Eastern »

I agree with Trotz developing Vrana the right way, but I also think it's a bit too early to tell if he'll be a big deal or not.

I think Vrana is certainly not another Semin, he shows up in multiple ways on the ice not just throughout the regular season but in the playoffs too consistently to be as streaky/work ethic problems like Vrana.

I recall a few games ago or maybe it was the first round, Vrana was bumped down and a lot of people heralded it as a reason why he was in the doghouse. Even though Trotz himself came out and said that wasn't so, in fact Vrana had points when he was up in the first round before he was bumped down. He was bumped down because we wanted Stephenson/Backstrom/Oshie as a line to be a shut down line that could also threaten to score, and our coach was using that line to counter teams top scoring lines often. They started defending Pannarin for example, and suddenly he got way more shut down. It had nothing to do with Vrana playing badly, that is just line change for tactical reasons.

People don't realize this but Vrana is also bigger than most people give him credit for. Yes he skates fast, but he's 6'0 and this season showed up weighing almost 200lb. By no means does that make him a big mean player, but it means he at least is an average sized NHLer and he has an underrated defensive stick. His big issues from what I can tell are experience and a lack of natural defensive understanding. I'd say he has way more offensive IQ than defensive. He just needs to be coached well going forward and I think he could become someone like a Patrick Sharp honestly. Solid defensively but not amazing, good speed, big enough to hold his own strength wise with his stick, and a good shot.

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #311 on: Sunday May 06, 2018, 08:05:06 PM Eastern »
Chandler Stephenson is the Cap who has quietly impressed me the most this off-season though. Playoff level pressures, gets bumped up to a line where he needs to make sure he actually starts hitting the scoresheet a bit more, as well as tackling way higher defensive responsibility. He hasn't looked overwhelmed out there at all, starting to morph almost into a Brooks Laich for us, especially if he can keep improving on the center dot to give us options for winning faceoffs if one of our typical quality centers gets hurt.

He's also been a stud on the PK.

Maacoshark

« Reply #312 on: Sunday May 06, 2018, 08:38:01 PM Eastern »
Chandler Stephenson is the Cap who has quietly impressed me the most this off-season though. Playoff level pressures, gets bumped up to a line where he needs to make sure he actually starts hitting the scoresheet a bit more, as well as tackling way higher defensive responsibility. He hasn't looked overwhelmed out there at all, starting to morph almost into a Brooks Laich for us, especially if he can keep improving on the center dot to give us options for winning faceoffs if one of our typical quality centers gets hurt.

He's also been a stud on the PK.
   Stephenson is already our 2nd best faceoff man behind Beagle and might be our best defensive forward and our best on the PK. He isn't a sniper but he gets some opportunities because of his speed. He needs to be a bit more aggressive offensively and could add some strength. This kid has what it takes to be a solid NHL player. I was thinking a 3rd line guy but after his play recently I don't see why he can't be a top 6 forward.
   I've always like him. Liked him in junior when he played here in Regina. Wasn't sure if he would be able to make the jump to the NHL or not. I think he has proved that he deserves to be here.

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #313 on: Sunday May 06, 2018, 10:54:33 PM Eastern »
One thing I like about Vrana is the desire he shows when he gets a tiny edge on the defensemen and just goes like hell to the net. It’s fearless and aggressive and that is what we have needed more of on this team for a long time.

Offline Jeff in Gburg

• Caps fan since '86
« Reply #314 on: Sunday May 06, 2018, 11:24:55 PM Eastern »

This would be my move, especially with the Pens having last change. Only downside to this would be changing up 2 lines but it would seem to make the most sense given the situation. I think Stephenson would fit right in with Ovi and Kuzy tomorrow if this happens.

Couldn't be more impressed by Stephenson's rapid development this year. During the regular season I didn't see him as a top-6'er anytime soon but he's proven plenty of people wrong. Has been tremendous on both ends of the ice so far in the highest of pressure situations. As for Vrana, I think he can develop into a solid two-way player, just might take a while for his defensive game to get there but I think it will.

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #315 on: Monday May 07, 2018, 04:05:04 AM Eastern »
I too like the idea of Stephenson to line one as "plan C" if you will.  But I don't know how much Vrana is a differential liability on line 1.  Frankly, the Ovie/Kuzy/Wilson line has had trouble getting out of its own way, never mind the opponent's way, in the defensive zone all season.  I wonder if there is anyone who can save the Ovie/Kuzy combination when it gets penned in.  I think Pittsburgh's effort will be to get Crosby's line against that line no matter who is the 3rd member.

All of this is probably moot if Backstrom is unable to go or unable to play a serviceable game because of his injury.  I see that injury as a real tipping point in the Caps' ability to be competitive with the Pens, on defense more than anything else.  It's one thing to try to move ahead without Burakovsky and/or Wilson, but if Backstrom can't answer the bell as well, now we DON'T have anyone remotely viable to take his place in the top 6.