Author Topic: GDT R1G2 Blue Jackets @ Capitals 2018-04-15 7:30pm EST NBCSWA, USA  (Read 65670 times)

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
GDT R1G2 Blue Jackets @ Capitals 2018-04-15 7:30pm EST NBCSWA, USA
« on: Sunday April 15, 2018, 01:30:26 PM Eastern »

Round 1 - Game 2
                 Blue Jackets lead series 1-0
                 Sun. April 15   Columbus Blue Jackets @  Washington Capitals
                 Place:  Capital One Arena
                 Time: 7:30 p.m.
                 TV: NBCSWA, NBCSN, SN360, TVAS2, FS-O
                 Radio: 106.7 The Fan, Capitals Radio 24/7
                 NHL.COM for Live Box Score
                 Columbus Blue Jackets    97-44-28-9    Last Game: Apr 12  Won 4-3 Against Capitals
                 Washington Capitals      105-49-26-7    Last Game: Apr 12  Lost 4-3 Against Blue Jackets

8-Ovechkin          92-Kuznetsov           43-Wilson
                     65-Burakovsky      19-Bäckström          77-Oshie
                     10-Connolly           20-Eller                    25-Smith-Pelly
                     18-Stephenson       83-Beagle                 39-Chiasson

6-Kempny                   74-Carlson
                                  9-Orlov                         2-Niskanen
                                 44-Orpik                      28-Jerabek

31-Grubauer  (starter)
                                               70-Holtby

-- SCRATCH --
                                               63-Gersich
                                               72-Boyd
                                               13-Vrana
                                               64-Pinho
                                               29-Djoos
                                               22-Bowey

-- INJURED RESERVE --

-- 1st Powerplay Unit --
                   20-Eller             19-Bäckström        92-Kuznetsov
                                 8-Ovechkin            74-Carlson

-- 2nd Powerplay Unit --
                  65-Burakovsky   18-Stephenson     10-Connolly
                                  2-Niskanen              9-Orlov

Referees:   Steve Kozari (#40),    Brian Pochmara (#16)
               Linesmen:  Devin Berg (#87),    Steve Barton (#59)

Columbus’s expected lineup
       Forwards
Artemi Panarin - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Cam Atkinson
Boone Jenner - Nick Foligno - Thomas Vanek
Sonny Milano - Brandon Dubinsky - Josh Anderson
Matt Calvert - Mark Letestu - Oliver Bjorkstrand
     Defensemen
Zach Werenski - Seth Jones
Ian Cole - David Savard
Ryan Murray - Markus Nutivaara
      Goalies
Sergei Bobrovsky (Starter)
Joonas Korpisalo
    Scratches:
Markus Hannikainen,
Alex Broadhurst,
Taylor Chorney,
Jack Johnson,
Scott Harrington,
Dean Kukan,
Lukas Sedlak (upper body)
Alexander Wennberg (upper body)

by Isabelle Khurshudyan April 14 at 5:52 PM

Caps know they need to be better in Game 2, but they’re not overreacting

Philipp Grubauer will be back as the Capitals’ starting goaltender in Game 2 against Columbus. (John McDonnell/The Washington Post)

The most disappointing moments in the Washington Capitals’ postseason-opening loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets might have also been the most encouraging.

As Coach Barry Trotz and his players reviewed where things went wrong Thursday night — with two costly penalties in the third period that squandered a pair of one-goal leads en route to a 4-3 overtime loss topping the list — the team was also fairly pleased with its overall play. Washington also knows it has “another level” that it’ll need to reach Sunday night to even the Eastern Conference quarterfinal series before it moves to Columbus for two games.

“We all know that,” Trotz said. “Individually, there’s a level of game that could be propped up or be better for a number of individuals in our room. And then if they do that, we’re collectively better, too. There’s some parts of our game that we’ve talked about we’re going to clean up and we’re going to be better.”

Mental lapses like Tom Wilson’s charging of Alexander Wennberg and Andre Burakovsky’s offensive-zone trip of Seth Jones — penalties that resulted in Columbus power-play goals that each tied the score — are infuriating considering the stage. “That’s Day One of training camp,” Trotz said. But that’s also easily corrected, so the Capitals didn’t overreact.

Trotz said he will stick with goaltender Philipp Grubauer on Sunday night after the German allowed four goals in the second playoff start of his career. Trotz said he doesn’t intend to make any significant line changes, either; a fourth-line forward might be pushed out because center Jay Beagle could return from his undisclosed upper-body injury.

[Capitals could be at full strength in Game 2 with Beagle back in the lineup]

Trotz was asked whether his team was relaxed Saturday. “I’d probably say we’re engaged, which is always a good sign,” he said.

“Yeah, I mean, it’s a typical playoff game — make a couple of mistakes, [and] the other team capitalizes and changes the game,” forward Devante Smith-Pelly said. “I think five-on-five, we played pretty well. We were creating chances, goalie made some saves, and we didn’t capitalize on a couple of chances. In the third, we have to kill those penalties; we have to bail those guys out late in the game. I’m not too worried about what happened in Game 1. We’re just moving on.”

Washington’s penalty kill will get a lift with the likely return of Beagle, who averaged the most shorthanded time on ice per game among the team’s forwards. But the Capitals have struggled with discipline all season — their 294 minor penalties were the seventh-most in the NHL — and Trotz was most frustrated by the poor situational awareness Thursday night, like Burakovsky chasing Jones behind Columbus’s net, a risky play when holding the lead and 5:05 left in regulation. Then on the penalty kill, Wilson had two chances to clear the puck before Jones eventually tied the game to force overtime.

“It’s a stupid play to make,” Burakovsky said. “If I could just go back and correct that, I would do it every day, but at the moment when it happened, I just thought I had a lot of speed behind him, and I thought I could catch him. Then he just had a good angle on the net and just took me out a bit. Yeah, that’s not the smartest play I’ve made in my career.”

Said center Nicklas Backstrom: “It’s just a learning thing for us, I think. We need to come out more prepared and make sure we play 60 minutes and not just 40. I think it’s just that. We gave the game away, and I think we should’ve had it. … It’s going to happen, so we just have to find a way to get through it.”

[Capitals’ Kuznetsov, Blue Jackets’ Panarin shared a rink in Russia and the NHL playoff spotlight]

Backstrom said the Capitals played well for half of the game. Trotz described them as “average.” The teams were fairly even at even strength — Washington had 46 shot attempts to Columbus’s 51, though the Capitals had a slight edge in high-danger chances, according to Natural Stat Trick — and more five-on-five play is expected for the rest of the series with penalties typically called less often in the postseason.

Perhaps the best example of how quickly postseason fortunes can change is the other playoff series pitting Metropolitan Division foes. Pittsburgh beat Philadelphia, 7-0, in Game 1 on Wednesday, but then the Flyers rebounded with a 5-1 win over the Penguins on Friday, with their coach making no personnel changes in between. Trotz has occasionally been reactionary to playoff losses, scratching defensemen Dmitry Orlov and Nate Schmidt two years ago after games in which each had costly turnovers. There was some question of whether he’d change goaltenders and tab Braden Holtby as the starter for Game 2, but Trotz said he thought Grubauer was “fine” Thursday night. He expressed confidence in him to be better Sunday, as he did in his team.

“There was nothing in that game that you’d say, why didn’t you make a change?” Trotz said.

“Nobody’s walking through to the Stanley Cup with no losses,” Grubauer said. “You lose one and you learn from that and maybe guys realize, ‘Okay, we’ve got to do something different.’ … When you lose a game — you want to win the game — but you’ve got to learn from it and you’ve got to take some positives out. In order to be better, you need to see the negatives and you need to make mistakes and hopefully get better and learn from it.”
« Last Edit: Sunday April 15, 2018, 07:30:47 PM Eastern by ArJunaZ »
Be careful what you ask for America; you just might get it.

Maacoshark

Re: GDT R1G2 Blue Jackets @ Capitals 2018-04-15 7:30pm EST NBCSWA, USA
« Reply #1 on: Sunday April 15, 2018, 02:31:52 PM Eastern »
    Not sure I liked how they singled out Wilson and Burakovsky for dumb penalties and didn't mention the dumb penalty from Kuznetsov. The Caps just happened to kill that penalty. Just as dumb though.
     Trotz comments on Grubauer where fairly accurate. He was fine. That tells me wasn't overly pleased with his play. Our goaltending needs to be better than fine.

Offline IDontGiveaChuk

• Poop
« Reply #2 on: Sunday April 15, 2018, 02:50:13 PM Eastern »
No Vrana tonight. Message sent. But, message received??

Offline KitFisto

« Reply #3 on: Sunday April 15, 2018, 03:09:37 PM Eastern »
If anyone needs me, I'll be upstairs asleep.

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #4 on: Sunday April 15, 2018, 03:45:23 PM Eastern »
Wilson's charging penalty wasn't a penalty -- or at least, it wasn't charging.  It didn't meet the definition.

Charging is defined as taking more than 3 strides to deliver a hit without gliding.  Watch the video:  Wilson glided the last 15 feet before he hit the guy.  And the only reason he hit the guy high was that for some reason he started to drop down just as Wilson got to him.  I don't know if he got entangled with Ovechkin somehow, who was behind him, or what caused him to suddenly "lose altitude", but Wilson was caught in no man's land, getting ready to hit a guy who all of a sudden was a foot lower than he was a split-second earlier.  Those are the reasons that the league office, despite Wilson's "history", never even considered meting out supplemental punishment to him.  There really wasn't much of anything there.  And it wasn't like all the other boarding calls in the early playoffs for which games off were handed out.  Wilson approached him directly from the front -- no hitting from behind.

Maacoshark

« Reply #5 on: Sunday April 15, 2018, 04:53:06 PM Eastern »
Wilson's charging penalty wasn't a penalty -- or at least, it wasn't charging.  It didn't meet the definition.

Charging is defined as taking more than 3 strides to deliver a hit without gliding.  Watch the video:  Wilson glided the last 15 feet before he hit the guy.  And the only reason he hit the guy high was that for some reason he started to drop down just as Wilson got to him.  I don't know if he got entangled with Ovechkin somehow, who was behind him, or what caused him to suddenly "lose altitude", but Wilson was caught in no man's land, getting ready to hit a guy who all of a sudden was a foot lower than he was a split-second earlier.  Those are the reasons that the league office, despite Wilson's "history", never even considered meting out supplemental punishment to him.  There really wasn't much of anything there.  And it wasn't like all the other boarding calls in the early playoffs for which games off were handed out.  Wilson approached him directly from the front -- no hitting from behind.
    I wouldn't have called it a charging but there is no doubt he made contact with his head. He deserved a 2 min penalty, nothing more. And that's what he got. You could question the Burakovsky penalty too. Did he really trip Jones or did he loose an edge. You can't vquestion Kuzys penalty but you could question that the Columbus player should have gone too. If the score was different those calls might not have been made. Or if Columbus didn't get a lot of penalties early in the game some of the calls might not have been made against us. It seems to be the way NHL officials are taught to officiate. You know if one team gets a lot if penalties the refs will try to even up the calls. We also know if you have a lead in the 3rd period that you are probably going to get some borderline calls against you. The NHL has always officiated like this and happens almost every game. I'd like to see the officiating to be more consistent. The score shouldn't determine who gets the next penalty. Or because one team has had a number of penalties shouldn't mean the other team gets the next one.

Online Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #6 on: Sunday April 15, 2018, 04:56:23 PM Eastern »

Not sure I liked how they singled out Wilson and Burakovsky for dumb penalties and didn't mention the dumb penalty from Kuznetsov. The Caps just happened to kill that penalty. Just as dumb though.

Exactly! Don't know if Joe and Loch mentioned it, but the nation commentator did (and Roenik during intermission) After his 2 goals, they got in his head playing patty cake and he fell for it.. Even after the dumb penalty, they noted another time down the ice the Caps were trying to break out and he stopped and started jawing with someone over more dumb shit. If a lack of intensity doesn't get em, stupidity will..  :wackysmile: lol

canadiancapman

« Reply #7 on: Sunday April 15, 2018, 05:13:00 PM Eastern »
Not sure why Vrana is a healthy scratch tonight. I thought he played well last game and his speed was a factor. I would have put smith-pelley on the 4th line and scratched chaisson myself.

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #8 on: Sunday April 15, 2018, 05:20:32 PM Eastern »
Not sure why Vrana is a healthy scratch tonight. I thought he played well last game and his speed was a factor. I would have put smith-pelley on the 4th line and scratched chaisson myself.
I think he is very important for secondary scoring, he can be very agile. I guess loosing safely is Trotz style. 

Maacoshark

« Reply #9 on: Sunday April 15, 2018, 05:44:57 PM Eastern »
    Actually Vrana had a bad game. He did set up the DSP goal but he made quite a few bad mistakes during that game. He was involved in the play on both of the Columbus even strength goals.

Offline Stealyerfaceoff

• Dancing with Elsie!
« Reply #10 on: Sunday April 15, 2018, 06:58:45 PM Eastern »
Glad to see Kempney and Beags in the line up. We sure need the faceoff help!
Let the dawgs out! Bow wow wow yipee-o yipee-a!
Sometimes you just gotta knock them over

All you need to know about Republicans - they have elected the biggest asshat since Warren G. Harding

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #11 on: Sunday April 15, 2018, 07:18:23 PM Eastern »
We should win this one, although I think Vrana should play. He has more upside than downside.

canadiancapman

« Reply #12 on: Sunday April 15, 2018, 07:19:12 PM Eastern »
Does anyone know a good website to steam the game tonight?

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #13 on: Sunday April 15, 2018, 07:19:25 PM Eastern »
    Actually Vrana had a bad game. He did set up the DSP goal but he made quite a few bad mistakes during that game. He was involved in the play on both of the Columbus even strength goals.
It was his first playoff game.

canadiancapman

« Reply #14 on: Sunday April 15, 2018, 07:23:27 PM Eastern »
I think Vrana should play as well. More upside offensively to his game and we are desperate for secondary scoring. We lost the game because of foolish penalties and bad pk coverage. I love Wilson but he was lost when Jones scored the goal to tie the game up. Had his head been on a swivel, he would have been able anticipate that pass and pick it off or at least could have been closer to Jones so he didn't have a free pass to the net. Anyway, enough about last game, LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
« Reply #15 on: Sunday April 15, 2018, 07:35:31 PM Eastern »
Does anyone know a good website to steam the game tonight?

Welcome to the Forum!

This usually helps me find a good stream.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NHLStreams/

Here's tonight's game Home Feed
http://www.sportshd.me/nhl/2017030132/h

Or this one looks good, but it appears to be about 20 seconds behind the first stream
http://rjh.fun/play.html?league=NHL&date=2018-04-15&id=59816603&pk=2017030132

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #16 on: Sunday April 15, 2018, 07:36:00 PM Eastern »
One thing strikes me, we went though so many po games with same players, and still not enough clicking.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #17 on: Sunday April 15, 2018, 07:38:29 PM Eastern »
We couldn’t hold a two goal lead , . . , so the dress Connolly tonight.

Jesus a 4 goal lead won’t be safe  :rofl:

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday April 15, 2018, 07:40:32 PM Eastern »
We couldn’t hold a two goal lead , . . , so the dress Connolly tonight.

Jesus a 4 goal lead won’t be safe  :rofl:

You laugh, but you're right, even a 4 point lead makes me nervous at times.

canadiancapman

« Reply #19 on: Sunday April 15, 2018, 07:43:06 PM Eastern »
Welcome to the Forum!

This usually helps me find a good stream.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NHLStreams/

Here's tonight's game Home Feed
http://www.sportshd.me/nhl/2017030132/h

Or this one looks good, but it appears to be about 20 seconds behind the first stream
http://rjh.fun/play.html?league=NHL&date=2018-04-15&id=59816603&pk=2017030132

Thanks. I've been reading the boards for years but could never sign up for the one on the caps website. Rarely miss a game and usually go to at least a couple games a year in various cities. Nothing better than seeing your team win in another teams barn.