Author Topic: GDT R1G1 Blue Jackets @ Capitals 2018-04-12 7:30pm EST NBCSWA, USA  (Read 44166 times)

Offline RavenCp

Re: GDT R1G1 Blue Jackets @ Capitals 2018-04-12 7:30pm EST NBCSWA, USA
« Reply #160 on: Thursday April 12, 2018, 11:48:54 PM Eastern »
This is the first playoff for Grub, he is not exactly failed. If we'll change him and Holt also loose the next game it'll be easily to go into a panic mode.

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
« Reply #161 on: Thursday April 12, 2018, 11:53:25 PM Eastern »

but if Holts was in net tonight I garandamntee it would've been his fault

Naw, you didn't see the game. The Caps were self-defeating in a lot of ways. Grubs did a pretty good job.  We missed so many chances at so many things. The sense was that we did not believe in ourselves. Ovie was almost totally unnoticed this game. It didn't help that we lost Kempny, but we appeared panicked. You know exactly what I mean; you've seen it too many times. Gruby did not let any goals through that made you say, "he should have had that".  Our guys also largely forgot to shoot the damn puck at the actual goal.  Our guys seemed panicked and could not even snag a puck two feet in front of them with no one within 8 feet of them, and when they managed to do so they passed it to a ghost or straight to a Jacket. This meant we had difficulty clearing the puck out of our zone too many times and for too long. We started well, but if it hadn't been for the huge 5 minute major in the first we would have been really awful. Now between those things I just said we had some great individual efforts and a few good team plays, but not overall impressive. I was half watching and making graphics because I was fairly bored. starting in the 1st period. You could just feel the positive energy wasn't there.

ETA
Hopefully the rest of the games will not have that lack of confidence.
Be careful what you ask for America; you just might get it.

Maacoshark

« Reply #162 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 12:07:17 AM Eastern »

I think Holtby also for a number of years is not a hot goalie in playoffs. Yes he kept us in the games most of the time, but wasn't exactly "steal one game or two".
   Have you seen his playoff numbers? He has been lights out in the playoffs until last season. He didn't get any goal support at all.

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #163 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 12:07:35 AM Eastern »
Naw, you didn't see the game. The Caps were self-defeating in a lot of ways. Grubs did a pretty good job.  ...

It's good to hear. I watched form the end of second period, as I understood from the worst part of the game.

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
« Reply #164 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 12:08:57 AM Eastern »

1st Period
17:52  PP GOAL 92-Kuznetsov, assists 19-Bäckström & 74-Carlson   1-0 WSH
18:21  PP GOAL 92-Kuznetsov, assists 19-Bäckström & 74-Carlson   2-0 WSH

2nd Period
04:48  Jackets GOAL Wennberg   2-1 WSH

3rd Period
01:31  Jackets PP GOAL Vanek   2-2 TIE
05:12  GOAL 25-Smith-Pelly, assists 13-Vrana & 74-Carlson   3-2 WSH
15:34  Jackets PP GOAL Jones   3-3 TIE

OT
06:02  Jackets GOAL Panarin   4-3 CBJ

FINAL:    5-3 WSH
Be careful what you ask for America; you just might get it.

Maacoshark

« Reply #165 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 12:10:29 AM Eastern »
This is the first playoff for Grub, he is not exactly failed. If we'll change him and Holt also loose the next game it'll be easily to go into a panic mode.
   This isn't his first playoff. He hasn't played much. He started one game a couple years ago against the Islanders and won even though he played average at best. He also came in relief. His playoff numbers aren't good. But very limited ice time.

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #166 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 12:11:26 AM Eastern »
   Have you seen his playoff numbers? He has been lights out in the playoffs until last season. He didn't get any goal support at all.
It's not about numbers, we never been out of second round. We always sacked the last game even if we've got there. I don't blame anyone particular, he was not s stealer. 

Maacoshark

« Reply #167 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 12:17:48 AM Eastern »
It's not about numbers, we never been out of second round. We always sacked the last game even if we've got there. I don't blame anyone particular, he was not s stealer.
    I think your expectations are very unrealistic for Holtby in the playoffs. Before last season he didn't more than enough to help his team win and yes he did steal several games for them.
https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/h/holtbbr01.html

Offline RavenCp

« Reply #168 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 12:34:18 AM Eastern »
    I think your expectations are very unrealistic for Holtby in the playoffs. Before last season he didn't more than enough to help his team win and yes he did steal several games for them.
https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/h/holtbbr01.html
Most of goalies in playoffs, for teams to move up steal a game or two. It was even with Pens at the last year. Again, I don't blame anyone particularly, just he wasn't a saver.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #169 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 06:02:07 AM Eastern »
Good thing I slept through most of that game  :rofl:

Blew a two goal lead in the first game of the playoffs . . . and The Final Solution To The Goalie Question  gives up four goals . . .

Offline KitFisto

« Reply #170 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 07:18:26 AM Eastern »
Blame this, blame that. Simp.e fact is this is what the Caps do.......every year. It ain't gonna change no matter what they do.

Offline SpecialGoodn3ss

« Reply #171 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 07:46:09 AM Eastern »
I am not sure why every year I get so hopeful for the playoffs.  :lol:

Offline KitFisto

« Reply #172 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 07:47:28 AM Eastern »
I am not sure why every year I get so hopeful for the playoffs.  :lol:

I went to bed when it was 3-2 fully expecting to wake up to a 4-3 OT loss. They didn't disappoint. It's just what they do.

Maacoshark

« Reply #173 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 08:35:01 AM Eastern »
Good thing I slept through most of that game  :rofl:

Blew a two goal lead in the first game of the playoffs . . . and The Final Solution To The Goalie Question  gives up four goals . . .
    There shouldnt have been a goalie question. It should have been Holtbys net. Maybe we can't win with Holtby but we aren't going anywhere with Grubauer.

Offline Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #174 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 08:56:48 AM Eastern »

I thought Grubauer looked exactly like Holtby did last year.. He stopped all the shots he should of, but didn't stop any that he "could" of..  But he's still not had the joy of the deflected puck off his own man yet, so we have that to look forward to!  :wackysmile:

Maacoshark

« Reply #175 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 09:09:23 AM Eastern »
I thought Grubauer looked exactly like Holtby did last year.. He stopped all the shots he should of, but didn't stop any that he "could" of..  But he's still not had the joy of the deflected puck off his own man yet, so we have that to look forward to!  :wackysmile:
   I think Grubauer should have stopped the game winner. There is no way Panarin should be cable to score on the far side from that angle. Grubauer played it poorly. I also thought he should have blocked the pass in Vaneks goal. I mean that pass went through the crease. If he had the paddle of his stick down he should have blocked that pass. Grubauer wasn't terrible but it was his technical flaws that ended up hurting us.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #176 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 11:49:21 AM Eastern »
   I think Grubauer should have stopped the game winner. There is no way Panarin should be cable to score on the far side from that angle. Grubauer played it poorly. I also thought he should have blocked the pass in Vaneks goal. I mean that pass went through the crease. If he had the paddle of his stick down he should have blocked that pass. Grubauer wasn't terrible but it was his technical flaws that ended up hurting us.
Agreed . . .

However, after watching the replay, I would love to here Todd Reirdans reaction/commentary/tirade on Orlov and J28s (its easier than his last name) execution. . .

From a laymans/arm-chair view. . . I can't for the life of me figure out what the fuck Orlov was trying to do, be cause it looked like "coast and try some stick on stick. . . Sure he kept him to the outside, for a few feet, but it would seem that forcing Perrin to the boards and at minimum have him dump the puck while the other skaters moved into coverage would be the correct thing for a Dman to do in that case. . .

And J28?  I guess he should get a nod for seeing the clusterfuck that was happening, but in the meantime, he left his man wide open for a rebound or a quick pass. . .

Now, if they where doing what the system/coach called for, great on them. . .

In the infamous, "moment in time",  there  appears to be one shot (which was assuredly inventible at that time) available, which was the high glove,. . .now why that is certainly in NHL goalies skill set to make that glove save,  any rebound (off goalie or pipe would of had a bow on it for the other two forwards there. . .   which all leads back to not forcing Perrin on the boards and leaving open men in the first place.

Now I am the first to admit, Im just a fan reviewing paused highlights, so there is a TON of data I don't have access to. . . which is why Id love to hear Rierdens take on this sequence,

Offline Pucktothehead

• Diamond Geezer
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #177 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 12:22:40 PM Eastern »
Bura's dumbass stick penalty was dumbass. WTF is he doing there? Gotta be smarter than that because they KNEW the penalties would get evened out.

I'm not going to point any fingers at the defense. They were 1 man down the entire game so I'll give them a pass so to speak. What I can't get past is the never ending lack of the team's willingness to shoot the flippin puck. Too many passes that lead to turnovers or they get pressure and just cough it up. Watch the other games. For the most part the teams winning have a shoot first mentality. The guy skating the puck into the offensive zone shoots the puck on net and the other forwards head towards the net for a rebound. Preds/Avs right after the Caps game this was the case over and over. Bad angle shots, even with people "open" they shoot at the net. The Caps would pass the puck 80% of the time. Kuzya said he might be more selfish for the playoffs and it showed in two goals. The rest of the team needs to think this way more often. Carlson skating back and forth at the point late in the third only to give up the puck is not acceptable.

Offline IDontGiveaChuk

• Poop
« Reply #178 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 12:58:42 PM Eastern »
A lot of blame going around for a dumb penalty on 65 late in the third and I get that. But where the hell was our captain? At least 65 was skating and looked hungry even if he doesn't have it between the ears yet. Can't help wondering if ovi is hurt. He looked like he was coasting like he was at the end of the pittsburgh series last year. I guess we all saw the pic of his leg bruise(s) his wife posted after the playoffs and but damn if we never seem to have him when we need him.

Maacoshark

« Reply #179 on: Friday April 13, 2018, 08:14:41 PM Eastern »
Bura's dumbass stick penalty was dumbass. WTF is he doing there? Gotta be smarter than that because they KNEW the penalties would get evened out.

I'm not going to point any fingers at the defense. They were 1 man down the entire game so I'll give them a pass so to speak. What I can't get past is the never ending lack of the team's willingness to shoot the flippin puck. Too many passes that lead to turnovers or they get pressure and just cough it up. Watch the other games. For the most part the teams winning have a shoot first mentality. The guy skating the puck into the offensive zone shoots the puck on net and the other forwards head towards the net for a rebound. Preds/Avs right after the Caps game this was the case over and over. Bad angle shots, even with people "open" they shoot at the net. The Caps would pass the puck 80% of the time. Kuzya said he might be more selfish for the playoffs and it showed in two goals. The rest of the team needs to think this way more often. Carlson skating back and forth at the point late in the third only to give up the puck is not acceptable.
   I know on one offensive possession Orlov and Carlson were forced to pass back and forth at the blue line because neither guy had a shooting lane lane and all 3 forwards were in front of the net so they had no one else to pass to. Shooting there would have been stupid. They would have been shooting right into a guys shinpads. That likely would have resulted in an oddman rush the other way. One of the forwards should have given the dmen support by moving to the half wall.
    Believe it or not guys. Not every shot is a wise shot.