Author Topic: GDT#79 Capitals @ Penguins 2018-04-01 7:30pm EST NBCSN  (Read 42463 times)

Maacoshark

Re: GDT#79 Capitals @ Penguins 2018-04-01 7:30pm EST NBCSN
« Reply #180 on: Monday April 02, 2018, 06:32:53 PM Eastern »
This whole discussion about Gersich puzzles me.

The kid is brought up, plays in one game, a little less than 9 minutes ice time.  He plays reasonably well (though to a +/- of -1) and certainly doesn't look overmatched.  But in playing 4th line time he was obviously protected.  This was just a game to get his feet wet.  There is no reason that I can see to expect that he is now going to be inserted in the lineup consistently.  He could get a couple more chances to play this week given that the Caps are fixed into their playoff position so he can't "do much damage" even if he does mess up.  But we have no indication at this point that he can provide some sort of significant jolt to the lineup through his presence. 

I find rather strange Detroit's comments earlier in this thread trying to use Gersich to reflect badly on other Caps whose games he doesn't like.  In the earlier Gersich thread Detroit sort of took a sideswipe at him as the type of undersized, nonaggressive player that GMBM prefers (which of course isn't true, but whatever) and now after 9 minutes all of a sudden he's seen as a potential better option to other lineup regulars?  The fact is that Gersich is a 5th round draft choice with some tools, but he isn't going to take the position of some regular or other.  It isn't as if we're trying to integrate some dynamite player here -- he's a role player that may have some use, though probably in the longer rather than the short term.
    I couldn't have said it better. I agree completely.
But I do see the point of some posters view on Gersich. We do have 2 or 3 forwards in our lineup that are questionable NHL players. Who knows maybe Gersich is a better option than a couple other guys.
     I don't think Gersich will get into the playoffs unless we are hit with injuries or if someone is shitting the bed very badly. He could however be a regular on this team in the near future.