Author Topic: GDT#76 Capitals @ Rangers 2018-03-26 7:30pm EST NBCSN  (Read 18845 times)

Maacoshark

Re: GDT#76 Capitals @ Rangers 2018-03-26 7:30pm EST NBCSN
« Reply #60 on: Monday March 26, 2018, 10:14:32 PM Eastern »
4-0 up in the first period and we'll be lucky to get the 2 points.  That's just awful.
   You guys are very negative fans. You guys seem to forget that there is alot of parody in the NHL now. any team can win on any given night. Its not like the 74/75 Caps. Playing us back then was pretty much an automatic win.

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #61 on: Monday March 26, 2018, 10:15:39 PM Eastern »
Some of you people can't take yes for an answer.

Meanwhile, the Lightning, who are now pursued more closely by the Bruins than we are by the Pens, just got wiped out 4-1 by ARIZONA -- at home.

I wonder if the Lightning fans are giving up on the playoffs already?  Seems they should be, given the predominant attitude around here.

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
« Reply #62 on: Monday March 26, 2018, 10:16:40 PM Eastern »

1st Period
02:50  GOAL 77-Oshie, assists 19-Bäckström & 28-Jerabek   1-0 WSH
05:13  GOAL 2-Niskanen, assists 92-Kuznetsov & 8-Ovechkin   2-0 WSH
08:54  PP GOAL 8-Ovechkin, assists 74-Carlson & 19-Bäckström   3-0 WSH
16:39  SH GOAL92-Kuznetsov, assist 39-Chiasson   4-0 WSH

2nd Period
13:16  Rags GOAL Andersson   4-1 WSH

3rd Period
04:26  Rags GOAL Zuccarello   4-2 WSH

FINAL:    4-2 WSH
Be careful what you ask for America; you just might get it.

Offline apace41

• Hockey Deity
« Reply #63 on: Monday March 26, 2018, 10:22:04 PM Eastern »
I wonder if the Lightning fans are giving up on the playoffs already?  Seems they should be, given the predominant attitude around here.

Hahaha. The Lightning have a Cup in 2004.  We give up on the playoffs before the season starts because of how we play in them every year.  The people on this board who are negative at times (myself included) are that way because we've been avid Caps fans for so many years and have been so deeply damaged by this team.  You think we keep coming back here because we don't deep down love this team? If so, you are not very observant.

We are frustrated over the course of history but we love us our Capitals.

Offline apace41

• Hockey Deity
« Reply #64 on: Monday March 26, 2018, 10:23:55 PM Eastern »
   You guys are very negative fans. You guys seem to forget that there is alot of parody in the NHL now. any team can win on any given night. Its not like the 74/75 Caps. Playing us back then was pretty much an automatic win.

First off, its "parity" and, second, of course the other team plays but if you didn't see us take our foot off the gas in the 2nd and start coasting then you don't get hockey as well as I know you do.  To win in the playoffs you need to play the full 60 every game.  I'd like to see us start doing that as we get closer to playoff time.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday March 27, 2018, 05:22:27 AM Eastern »

Hahaha. The Lightning have a Cup in 2004.  We give up on the playoffs before the season starts because of how we play in them every year.  The people on this board who are negative at times (myself included) are that way because we've been avid Caps fans for so many years and have been so deeply damaged by this team.  You think we keep coming back here because we don't deep down love this team? If so, you are not very observant.

We are frustrated over the course of history but we love us our Capitals.
Agreed, Tampa also made the Cup Finals and The Conference Finals the last three years, and by system alone make up alone are a superior playoff team to us, before you take the roster into account.

The bottom line is THIS IS NOT A PLAYOFF TEAM.  Rather by incompetence, delusion, or utter disregard of logic, Dickless and BetaMale have made a video game team.

The amount of people who watch this team do the same thing and loose every year while toasting “We Have A Chance” with their Rock The Red Kool Aid  is getting more and more disturbing.

Ted is an entertainer and marketer, the only way we’ll have a chance is for people to start seeing through this.
« Last Edit: Tuesday March 27, 2018, 08:48:27 AM Eastern by DC_1908 »

Offline Devise

• Advanced Member
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday March 27, 2018, 08:30:09 AM Eastern »

First off, its "parity" and, second, of course the other team plays but if you didn't see us take our foot off the gas in the 2nd and start coasting then you don't get hockey as well as I know you do.  To win in the playoffs you need to play the full 60 every game.  I'd like to see us start doing that as we get closer to playoff time.

Haha thanks, I was going to correct him, parody means a joke, which is what this team is in the playoffs. Parity means that many of the teams in the league are just as good as each other, or close to it. :P

But I gotta agree with you Apace and DC, the sailent points DC made about the Lightning not just having the Cup win but also Conference finals and finals appearances in recent memory is a reason for their fans not to care about one stinker. They know their team is capable of going deep. Is our team capable of going deep? Maybe. The issue is it all comes down to match ups and stuff.

I think one the things the positive people can't fathom is our dissatisfaction with being a marginal playoff team. Like when someone makes the counter argument that the NHL has a lot of parity, I don't really think they recognize that most of us already know that. It's why we want to build a playoff team, not a "maybe we'll win the playoff" team. We build a team fully capable of making the playoffs but that doesn't buy in deep enough in one aspect or another to put ourselves in a position to go deep. When our roster has holes, we always fill some and then make others. There were seasons we had grit figured out but no secondary scoring, so we sacrified depth grit for secondary scoring, and now we have that hole. Teams like the Lightning don't do that.

See who they traded? A young, attitude filled sniper. Sure Drouin is a fully capable player and will one day be a good first liner for Montreal. That would be the equivalent of us trading Burk or Vrana, or Bowey. But you know us "you have to ice a team that makes the playoffs and one that has youth to think for the future." This we can have our cake and eat it to argument is irrelevant since the stats prove otherwise. The in the middle never works in the NHL. Detroit maybe I guess has the best example of that, but a big reason for that is while they were winning their scouts were so god damn talented that they found first like NHL talent and quality players in round 5 and 6 of the draft. They also developed strong. But even then after so many succesfful years that team is probably going to go through a rather long rebuild before they are back up and at em.

Nonetheless we aren't them. Ovechkin keeps getting older, Backstrom keeps getting older, Carlson will only be a relevant NHL defender so long as his main skillset is offensive positioning and speed, both of which become obsolete as more and more younger, smarter, faster, hungrier scorers flutter into the league. Nobody is implying the team didn't look alright to a degree in the win tonight either. They did. But seeing the same pyschological problems manifest and with no hope in seeing any sort of roster overhaul or changes at this point to change that is frustrating for us. Because if we don't get the match ups, or our goalies don't play great, or our offense doesn't suddenly become playoff crazy hot (which it won't, scoring always goes down in the playoffs unless your playing against an AHL goalie, and hell even then defense and physical play ramps up) the chances are we are due another 2nd round exit. We are sick of that. The team should be built every season we are trying to win, to win at all costs. And we just never do that.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday March 27, 2018, 09:53:01 AM Eastern »

Haha thanks, I was going to correct him, parody means a joke, which is what this team is in the playoffs. Parity means that many of the teams in the league are just as good as each other, or close to it. :P

But I gotta agree with you Apace and DC, the sailent points DC made about the Lightning not just having the Cup win but also Conference finals and finals appearances in recent memory is a reason for their fans not to care about one stinker. They know their team is capable of going deep. Is our team capable of going deep? Maybe. The issue is it all comes down to match ups and stuff.

I think one the things the positive people can't fathom is our dissatisfaction with being a marginal playoff team. Like when someone makes the counter argument that the NHL has a lot of parity, I don't really think they recognize that most of us already know that. It's why we want to build a playoff team, not a "maybe we'll win the playoff" team. We build a team fully capable of making the playoffs but that doesn't buy in deep enough in one aspect or another to put ourselves in a position to go deep. When our roster has holes, we always fill some and then make others. There were seasons we had grit figured out but no secondary scoring, so we sacrified depth grit for secondary scoring, and now we have that hole. Teams like the Lightning don't do that.

See who they traded? A young, attitude filled sniper. Sure Drouin is a fully capable player and will one day be a good first liner for Montreal. That would be the equivalent of us trading Burk or Vrana, or Bowey. But you know us "you have to ice a team that makes the playoffs and one that has youth to think for the future." This we can have our cake and eat it to argument is irrelevant since the stats prove otherwise. The in the middle never works in the NHL. Detroit maybe I guess has the best example of that, but a big reason for that is while they were winning their scouts were so god damn talented that they found first like NHL talent and quality players in round 5 and 6 of the draft. They also developed strong. But even then after so many succesfful years that team is probably going to go through a rather long rebuild before they are back up and at em.

Nonetheless we aren't them. Ovechkin keeps getting older, Backstrom keeps getting older, Carlson will only be a relevant NHL defender so long as his main skillset is offensive positioning and speed, both of which become obsolete as more and more younger, smarter, faster, hungrier scorers flutter into the league. Nobody is implying the team didn't look alright to a degree in the win tonight either. They did. But seeing the same pyschological problems manifest and with no hope in seeing any sort of roster overhaul or changes at this point to change that is frustrating for us. Because if we don't get the match ups, or our goalies don't play great, or our offense doesn't suddenly become playoff crazy hot (which it won't, scoring always goes down in the playoffs unless your playing against an AHL goalie, and hell even then defense and physical play ramps up) the chances are we are due another 2nd round exit. We are sick of that. The team should be built every season we are trying to win, to win at all costs. And we just never do that.
There was a rumour that after Hunter “didn’t want the job”, that GMGM wanted to hire Cooper after the  interviews, but Ted & Dickless overruled him and he had to hire Oates.

While this is just rumour and I can’t prove it, it seems very, possible and very likely.