Talk about Capitals hockey & more! > Washington Capitals & Other Hockey Discussion

R1G1 Caps at Rangers @ 3pm

<< < (19/19)

waynerivers:

--- Quote from: Beaglefan2 on Monday April 22, 2024, 04:18:56 PM Eastern ---I still don't get that there has been no discussion of what I thought was a nasty boarding of Iorio.  That could easily, and in my opinion should bave been a 5 minute major and a hearing on a suspension.  Iorio has a couple feet from the boards and leaning and the guy pushed him headfirst - that could have ended really badly.

I hate to use the "if that had been Tom Wilson" thing, but it is a fair comment in this case, and if it had been Wilson, there is no question in my mind he would have been penalized, thrown out of the game and suspended.

--- End quote ---

Disagree.  You can't crumple like a bag of potato chips from some little shove.  It's not like his back was to the guy.  He was trying to carry the puck out and was shoved from the side.  That play was a real bad look for Iorio.

Mickstix:
Similar to the Jensen hit. Bad time/place but nothing egregious, imo. Those boards are dangerous. You have to be aware and do what you can to not take a tumble head/shoulder first, if at all possible. Still haven't heard anything more on Iorio, other than what I posted in the bored thread. (Heard he said "it popped" as he went past the bench hunched over)

And yes Beags, had that been Wilson he'd of probably got a major and review. That's the NHL we have these days.

richkrt99:

--- Quote from: waynerivers on Tuesday April 23, 2024, 10:51:21 AM Eastern ---
Disagree.  You can't crumple like a bag of potato chips from some little shove.  It's not like his back was to the guy.  He was trying to carry the puck out and was shoved from the side.  That play was a real bad look for Iorio.

--- End quote ---

So I agree this was NOT a horrible hit and that Iorio needs to protect himself better, however, it definitely could have been called boarding based on where the player was (4' from the boards) and the onus is on the attacker NOT to hit the player and put him into a dangerous position.  The first line of the NHL Boarding rule pretty well applies to this hit:

(Note) Boarding is the action where a player pushes, trips or body checks an opponent causing them to go dangerously into the boards. This includes: Accelerating through the check to a player who is in a vulnerable or defenseless position and driving an opponent excessively into the boards with no focus on or intent to play the puck, or any check delivered for the purpose of punishment or intimidation that causes the opponent to go unnecessarily and excessively into the boards.     The onus is on the player delivering the check to avoid placing a vulnerable or defenseless opponent in danger.
(a) A minor plus a misconduct or major plus game misconduct penalty shall be assessed for boarding an opponent.     “Rolling” an opponent along the boards where he is attempting to go through too small an opening is not considered boarding.
(b) A major plus game misconduct penalty shall be assessed to any player who recklessly endangers an opponent as a result of boarding.
(c) A match penalty for reckless endangerment may also be assessed for boarding.

Mickstix:
"Boarding is the action where a player pushes, trips or body checks an opponent causing them to go dangerously into the boards."

Hmmm, never seen that before.. By that definition both the Iorio and Jensen hits were definitely boarding!!  :raised-eyebrow: 

waynerivers:
The only reason that Iorio went "dangerously into the boards" is because he wasn't strong on his skates.  Players aren't going to see every hit or shove coming and they can't just go down like a soggy waffle when they get touched.  This was also quite different from the Jensen hit where the puck was long gone and he had no reason to expect that hit coming as it did.  The Jensen play was definitely a penalty.  The other one wasn't.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version