Author Topic: GDT #20 Caps at Ducks @ 10pm  (Read 11497 times)

Offline Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
Re: GDT #20 Caps at Ducks @ 10pm
« Reply #100 on: Friday December 01, 2023, 04:48:32 PM Eastern »
I don't think Carbs is even putting Ovi out at the end of these games, when the goalie gets pulled? Think I saw him for 1 shift vs the Kings and didn't see him out at all last night?

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #101 on: Friday December 01, 2023, 05:32:27 PM Eastern »

He really does look bad.  He has 3 non-empty net goals in 20 games.  That's horrid.  After 42 last year, to look like this is pretty shocking.  He may simply have had it, unfortunately.  If he gets 12-15 for the season, he should retire rather than embarrass himself playing another 3 years trying to catch Gretzky.

For those who think that part of Ovi's problem is increasing reluctance to shoot, I was surprised to note that he is on pace to record more than 300 shots for the season, in line with his totals for the past several seasons.  His problem has been one thing:  shooting percentage.  He is at 6.5%, way, way below anything he has ever registered, and that's with 2 ENG.  He IS getting pucks on net, but nothing is going in.  Now it might well be that his shot is not what it used to be, but he's in Karl Alzner shooting territory at this point.  If he were shooting his career average percentage he'd be on his way to a 40-goal season.

If Ovie has really lost that much shooting ability, a case should be made that he SHOULDN'T be taking so many shots.  But his problem is the team's problem, really.  The Caps are next to last in the league in shooting %, ahead of only San Jose, who is REALLY woeful.  What choice do the Caps have but to let him keep shooting and hope he shoots his way out of it?

Offline Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #102 on: Friday December 01, 2023, 06:02:26 PM Eastern »
That's encouraging then, if he's getting a normal # of shots. "Feels" like he's pass 1st too much, but I guess the stats are the stats. His shot (to the eye) doesn't look any different to me? Just having problems finding those corners, 5 holes and arm pits I guess. (35-40 seconds of every PP to get set up can't be helping)