Author Topic: Trades & free agency  (Read 11966 times)

Online Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
Re: Trades & free agency
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday July 05, 2023, 09:36:42 AM Eastern »
I can't figure out why they wouldn't retool while Ovi is here. I mean, they saw the proof last year, as we were a playoff contender right up until we started getting "healthy".. Don't know if it's a familiarity thing or if they think there's still a chance to make the playoffs? It was painfully obvious we're not fast enough to keep up. Weird..

Offline richkrt99

• Oh, I'm the Hillbilly alrighty!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday July 05, 2023, 04:36:15 PM Eastern »
....I am glad they resigned Fever, but wish it had been a longer term deal - like 6 years.  Doing the 3 year deal just gets us to a point that he will have developed to a top level d-man and will command huge dollars.  We should have more money at that point, but the Caps need to lock some younger players up on long term deals so we have some cap-friendly contracts mixed in. Fever is one guy I would do that for.

Amen brother.  Love that they signed him and that's pretty cheap for his talent and experience level (despite his age).  I agree....he will be right about primo pickens about the time this deal expires.
FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Offline richkrt99

• Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday July 05, 2023, 04:51:40 PM Eastern »
I think what happens with Willie will likely be more up to Willy than anyone else.  Will-he (see what I did there) want to hang around with his old mates on a mediocre team?  Or would he rather sign with a real contender...like Toronto (his home tome) to make a run at a cup.
I know he's been here his whole career and lives here and such, but I think he could go to a real contender for a real shot at the cup before he too starts to decline.  He doesn't have kids (yet) so schools aren't really an issue, and his new wife is a Canadian volley ball player.
I'd really hate to lose him, but I could see him getting interest by a host of other teams.  He could really be an asset - especially in the playoffs.

FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Online capsfanpdx

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday July 05, 2023, 09:00:34 PM Eastern »

It looks like GMBM hung everything on a draft trade that never happened.  It will be fun to watch the yunguns develop but I agree with earlier posters that we will be very lucky to make the playoffs in a VERY tough Metro Div this year........

Ovi with ~30 at best I would guess.  (hope I'm wrong!)
I don't care about Oates anymore!

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #24 on: Thursday July 06, 2023, 08:19:27 AM Eastern »
I would think that Ovi wouldn't mind a rebuild at this point as long as he has two good playmaking linemates that can skate and create chances.  Everybody knows that the next 2 to 3 years are all about the record chase, so who cares if we win games as long as Ovi scores. 

Also, just saw that the Rangers signed Erik Gustafsen to a one year deal at $875.  Not sure why he isn't valued more in the league and thought he played really well for us. We could have signed him instead of trading for Edmundson and saved a good bit.  He might not be as good as Edmundson, but he was good enough.

Offline richkrt99

• Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #25 on: Thursday July 06, 2023, 09:03:55 AM Eastern »
Toronto is currently $8.8m OVER the cap with a 22 man roster....with expected LTIR relief of 5.6.  yikes

Hah...Ducks currently show a 17 man roster and $28m in cap space.  Maybe they need a big non scoring Canadian RW....and a bag of pucks
Blackhawks $18m
Coyotes  $16m
Krakheads  $14m

One of these guys certainly need some pucks for practice don't they?

FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #26 on: Friday July 07, 2023, 07:24:57 AM Eastern »
I can't figure out why they wouldn't retool while Ovi is here. I mean, they saw the proof last year, as we were a playoff contender right up until we started getting "healthy".. Don't know if it's a familiarity thing or if they think there's still a chance to make the playoffs? It was painfully obvious we're not fast enough to keep up. Weird..

Maybe they wouldn't retool because they can't retool.

The bloated contracts are getting in their way. Out of respect, they won't jettison Backstrom, who is seen as icon 1A to Ovie.  Regardless of what everyone here thinks of Carlson, THEY think enough of him to keep running him out there for more minutes per game than anyone else.  Apparently they tried  to move Kuzy (which would create  its  own issues) and  Mantha,  but no one seemed interested.  Can't imagine  why.

This affects all sorts of things.  Why didn't they sign Fehervary to a longer-term contract?  Maybe because, to buy out years after he is eligible to  become a UFA, they would have had to increase the AAV  of the contract significantly.  That would affect his cap hit in ALL years, including the upcoming year, and the team doesn't have the cap room for that.  And the team can't sign really primo free agents, because they cost more and  bind  the team  longer-term.  All they can do at this point is sign someone like Pacioretti to a relatively cheap contract, with the benefit that  they can jettison him after a year if his injury issues prove to  be too much to overcome.

A little of the long-term bloat comes off the books after this season upcoming; a HUGE amount comes off after the next season.  The best outcome that can be hoped for is  that the Caps struggle through the next two years as  best they can, and Ovie either breaks Gretsky's scoring record in that time or comes so close (say, within 10 goals) that breaking it in the final  year of  his contract is a foregone conclusion.  Then with the big money coming off the books, the retool/reload can begin in earnest, with Ovie  unquestionably at  the end of his career and the team HAVING to move on.

Online Mickstix

• Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #27 on: Friday July 07, 2023, 03:40:46 PM Eastern »
Unfortunately, you're probably right BlackIce.

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #28 on: Saturday July 08, 2023, 09:16:20 AM Eastern »
Yes, let's just hope for top 10 draft picks in the next two years - that they don't trade away.  Then in three years, they have the new Russian phenom, Leonard, Sudvalev and a couple others coming on strong. Then throw in some cap space for key signings and bing, bang, boom... another Cup!

Offline justwincaps

• Advanced Member
« Reply #29 on: Monday July 10, 2023, 11:46:03 AM Eastern »
DeBrincat signs with Detroit - taking a potential top 6 the Caps were targeting [per E Friedman] off the board.

At this point, considering it costs Detroit two players and two draft picks [inlcuding a 2024 first rounder], I think I'm glad we didn't pull the trigger on him.

Offline richkrt99

• Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #30 on: Monday July 10, 2023, 05:43:18 PM Eastern »
DeBrincat signs with Detroit - taking a potential top 6 the Caps were targeting [per E Friedman] off the board.

At this point, considering it costs Detroit two players and two draft picks [inlcuding a 2024 first rounder], I think I'm glad we didn't pull the trigger on him.

I don't see how Caps can be looking for a truly top 6 guy with our cap problem....unless Kuzy or Mantha goes, but then we'd need another forward.  Honestly, I don't see them moving Kuzy cause we don't have a center to replace him.  I think the cost would be too high to move Mantha.

I think this team is about what it is for the upcoming season.  Hopefully they prove me wrong.

Hey maybe Kuzy and Mantha will be inspired by the new coach and both have career years  :lol:
We have to hope against the hopeless, cause we are Cap fans.
FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Online Mickstix

• Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday July 11, 2023, 10:27:45 PM Eastern »
Yea, there's no deals to be had unless we get fucked in the exchange. Need for Nicky to retire and Oshie to stay healthy. Neither of which is likely. Oh well, hopefully Ovi still gives us something to be interested in. Im just afraid he's about to hit a wall and this old ass team he's on isn't gonna be able to help him much.

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #32 on: Friday July 14, 2023, 01:42:28 PM Eastern »
So - if they don't do anything with Kuzy or Mantha, which it looks like they won't, then they will be over the cap and won't be able to fill out a full roster unless Pacioretti starts on LTIR.  I'm becoming convinced that they are trying to get Nicky to retire.  He of course won't walk away from the money, so they would put him on LTIR for the rest of his contract.

I think a really nice scenario would be to start the year with Pacioretti on LTIR and then let Nicky play some games before the home crowd as a send off.

Offline richkrt99

• Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #33 on: Friday July 14, 2023, 02:23:27 PM Eastern »
I think it is a given Max P will start the season on LTIR.  They've already said he won't be ready but expect him "sometime in the first half of the season"
Team currently has $888k in cap space, so yeah, they WILL have to make room for Max when he's ready.

It's sad that Nicky needs to retire, but yeah it sure would be the healthiest thing for this team.  $9m goes a long way to getting some needed assets.
I agree though...I don't see that happening this year.

FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Offline richkrt99

• Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #34 on: Monday July 24, 2023, 04:29:34 PM Eastern »
Samsonov gets 1 year, 3.55m deal awarded by arbitration.  With this, the Leafs are $12.3m OVER the cap (with expected LTIR of $5.6m).  Not sure how the Leafs solve the cap problem.  Got to move someone, no?
FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Online Mickstix

• Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday July 25, 2023, 10:51:18 AM Eastern »
Gotta trade Matthews, Tavares or Nylander. It's the only fair thing to do.  :raspberry: