Author Topic: GDT#33 Capitals at Bruins Dec 14, 2017  (Read 31564 times)

Maacoshark

Re: GDT#33 Capitals at Bruins Dec 14, 2017
« Reply #100 on: Friday December 15, 2017, 08:00:55 AM Eastern »
Chaisson has sealed his spot on the team.

So who goes down when Oshie gets back?

I think you are really looking at Chaisson, Connolly, or Stephenson. Both Chaisson and Stephenson have been great and made the most out of their limited deployments. I think Connolly has really brought down the third line which was looking amazing with Vrana or Stephenson on it.

My vote is Connolly. While I initially thought he would be a budget steal, he has proven that even though he has flashes of talent that is really all there is... Flashes mixed with constant mediocrity.
   I agree that Connolly could be a guy we could sit. He does get on some mini goal scoring streaks but he doesn't a lot else to the table

Maacoshark

« Reply #101 on: Friday December 15, 2017, 08:04:27 AM Eastern »

I think you are really looking at Chaisson, Connolly, or Stephenson. Both Chaisson and Stephenson have been great and made the most out of their limited deployments. I think Connolly has really brought down the third line which was looking amazing with Vrana or Stephenson on it.

My vote is Connolly. While I initially thought he would be a budget steal, he has proven that even though he has flashes of talent that is really all there is... Flashes mixed with constant mediocrity.
God Damn right!!   

I’ve never been been to keen on Connelly, he’s just a cheaper one-way player that we have to many of anyway, and not producing enough to be one of those.

Chaisson has been the better steal, and it’s inmprobabke to say we’re not a better team with him in the lineup
  I would agree that Chaisson is more valuable than Connolly. Chaisson will go to the dirty areas in front of the net. He is better defensively and he kills penalties.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #102 on: Friday December 15, 2017, 08:36:35 AM Eastern »

God Damn right!!   

I’ve never been been to keen on Connelly, he’s just a cheaper one-way player that we have to many of anyway, and not producing enough to be one of those.

Chaisson has been the better steal, and it’s inmprobabke to say we’re not a better team with him in the lineup
  I would agree that Chaisson is more valuable than Connolly. Chaisson will go to the dirty areas in front of the net. He is better defensively and he kills penalties.
damn right!  What’s also funny is while last year, while  doing all that, his points where still comparable to Connolly’s (Connolly 15 goals, Chaisson 13)

Maacoshark

« Reply #103 on: Friday December 15, 2017, 09:02:46 AM Eastern »

God Damn right!!   

damn right!  What’s also funny is while last year, while  doing all that, his points where still comparable to Connolly’s (Connolly 15 goals, Chaisson 13)
   I think 15 goals for Connolly is a bit low for a one way player.

Maacoshark

« Reply #104 on: Friday December 15, 2017, 09:26:14 AM Eastern »

Hey Special. Good to see ya, again!
Was about to log off when I saw your post!
I respectfully disagree about Connelly. He was out earlier, and upon his return, has played very well! He hustles, has a very high number of hits, for his TOI, has one of the best shooting percentages on the team, and WILL, crash the net and elevate pucks. Although the general Corsi +\-,  is never a good statistic alone, to judge any player, Corsi numbers in individual categories of SF, SA, Tka, Gva, hits, and team or opponent S%, when taken together, are an EXCELLENT overall indicator, in assessing individual players performance! Connelly, respectfully, simply SMOKES your other two mentioned players, almost across the board!! Additionally, he is one of our hottest players on the ice, NOW. How about considering Bura.  He's a great comparison. He's been injured and returned, also!! The comparison may surprise you!

Admittedly, I didn't like Connelly, at all, when he arrived here! It wasn't until I looked at some of the analytics, (and, believe me, I'm a beginner at it), in the middle of last years season, that I understood why the coaches keep both him, and for that matter, Eller also, with the team!
Dont disagree with you very often, so I will say:

Respectfully submitted,
Rush
   I think you are looking too much into the advanced stats. That doesn't tell you a lot. Beagle might have the worst advanced stats in the league but it wouldn't make him the worst player. Those stats don't take into account who your linemates are. It doesn't take into account the players average zone start. It doesn't tell you what players he is up against. Connolly doesn't get matched up against top skilled players and his zone start is usually in the offensive zone. To tell you the truth Connolly advanced stats are pretty weak considering. Beagle advanced stats take a hit because his high percentage of zone starts in the defensive zone and the fact he will be matched up against the top players quite often.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #105 on: Friday December 15, 2017, 01:31:11 PM Eastern »

Hey Special. Good to see ya, again!
Was about to log off when I saw your post!
I respectfully disagree about Connelly. He was out earlier, and upon his return, has played very well! He hustles, has a very high number of hits, for his TOI, has one of the best shooting percentages on the team, and WILL, crash the net and elevate pucks. Although the general Corsi +\-,  is never a good statistic alone, to judge any player, Corsi numbers in individual categories of SF, SA, Tka, Gva, hits, and team or opponent S%, when taken together, are an EXCELLENT overall indicator, in assessing individual players performance! Connelly, respectfully, simply SMOKES your other two mentioned players, almost across the board!! Additionally, he is one of our hottest players on the ice, NOW. How about considering Bura.  He's a great comparison. He's been injured and returned, also!! The comparison may surprise you!

Admittedly, I didn't like Connelly, at all, when he arrived here! It wasn't until I looked at some of the analytics, (and, believe me, I'm a beginner at it), in the middle of last years season, that I understood why the coaches keep both him, and for that matter, Eller also, with the team!
Dont disagree with you very often, so I will say:

Respectfully submitted,
Rush
   I think you are looking too much into the advanced stats. That doesn't tell you a lot. Beagle might have the worst advanced stats in the league but it wouldn't make him the worst player. Those stats don't take into account who your linemates are. It doesn't take into account the players average zone start. It doesn't tell you what players he is up against. Connolly doesn't get matched up against top skilled players and his zone start is usually in the offensive zone. To tell you the truth Connolly advanced stats are pretty weak considering. Beagle advanced stats take a hit because his high percentage of zone starts in the defensive zone and the fact he will be matched up against the top players quite often.
  you’re both right.  Remember, Corsi was developed as a scouting tool fro goalies.  In general, it tells the goalie what to expect from an opposing player.

So by the basic nature of that, offense players will have higher Corsi numbers.  But, what they really do, is aide the goalie in anticipatiing what the opppsition will do when they are on the ice and when they’ll be on it.

So a high Corsi doesn’t directly mean their a good player, it means the goalie needs to be aware of them.

However, defensive minded Forwards and Ds are more than likely to use Corsi in the same manner as a goalie would, and really not care about their own in the long run.  So it’s s not very applicavle to the ills of Beagle etc.

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #106 on: Friday December 15, 2017, 02:27:56 PM Eastern »
Let's not get too carried away on Chaison after a good game.  He has had plenty of other games where he has just been ok - or has not been a factor.  He is a marginal 4th liner, as is Smith Pelly.  I think Connolly has a higher ceiling and actually has a better skill set - when he is motivated.  My bet is they bench Smith Pelly for a couple games to get him re-motivated and keep Chaison going, hoping he is hot.  Then they will flip flop those two.

Maacoshark

« Reply #107 on: Friday December 15, 2017, 03:35:20 PM Eastern »
Let's not get too carried away on Chaison after a good game.  He has had plenty of other games where he has just been ok - or has not been a factor.  He is a marginal 4th liner, as is Smith Pelly.  I think Connolly has a higher ceiling and actually has a better skill set - when he is motivated.  My bet is they bench Smith Pelly for a couple games to get him re-motivated and keep Chaison going, hoping he is hot.  Then they will flip flop those two.
    The thing that concerns me most about Connolly is his defensive abilities.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #108 on: Friday December 15, 2017, 03:35:52 PM Eastern »
hmm, I actually thought he greatly help the Kuzy group by providing a much need defensive and physical aspect.

Keep in mind though, he’s a similar player to Beagle in that his primary role is not points. But other intagables that are lacking, with offensive points being a bonus.
« Last Edit: Friday December 15, 2017, 03:51:06 PM Eastern by DC_1908 »

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #109 on: Friday December 15, 2017, 03:52:26 PM Eastern »
    The thing that concerns me most about Connolly is his defensive abilities.
or utter lack thereof.  ;D