Author Topic: Holtby  (Read 13945 times)

Offline BlackIce

Re: Holtby
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday April 03, 2018, 02:19:58 PM Eastern »
Anything Gruby did before he was "the starter" is not really valid, imo, since he always played the lesser opponents. I'm grateful he's looked good lately, but I'm not looking forward to the results when the team goes back to turning the puck over constantly and giving up multiple odd man rush' per game..

Where do you get this idea, Mick?  Grubauer in past years tended to play the 2nd half of back-to-backs, or if the back to backs were home and away he'd get the away game (the star plays at home more often.)  He tended to get who he got, not necessarily the weaker team.  Besides, everybody around here complains that the Caps tend to play down to lesser opponents, so even if it were true that he had games against lesser teams, they might still have been as much of a challenge if the Caps weren't playing at the top of their game.

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #41 on: Tuesday April 03, 2018, 02:36:12 PM Eastern »
Please understand, I'm not trying to say that Grubauer is the better goaltender.  But to those people who state that Holtby is unequivocally better as if it is an unquestioned fact, there is an accumulating body of information, and it's beginning to become significant (Grubauer just appeared in his 100th game) that casts more and more doubt on that "fact."

That being said, I wouldn't necessarily think about trading Holtby right now.  His contract is a "fair" one so that he won't be in demand as a really cost-effective asset (which Grubauer might be), and given Holtby's recent performance it may be that teams would try to buy low on him and discount what they offer.

Offline Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday April 03, 2018, 04:55:01 PM Eastern »

That being said, I wouldn't necessarily think about trading Holtby right now.

I can't see why "anyone" would think about trading Holtby, unless Holtby asked for it.. Certainly not because he had a bad stretch of games or because Grubi had some good ones.. And surely not because we need better defensive players.. It'd be like trading an allstar QB with a good contract, so you could look for better Wide receivers..  People think Vezina caliber goalies (and allstar caliber QB's) just grow on trees or something.  :clown:

Note: I like both of em'.. I'd be trying to move Burt or one of the other Ice dancing Euro's for better D, if it was me.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday April 03, 2018, 05:12:06 PM Eastern »

I can't see why "anyone" would think about trading Holtby, unless Holtby asked for it.. Certainly not because he had a bad stretch of games or because Grubi had some good ones.. And surely not because we need better defensive players.. It'd be like trading an allstar QB with a good contract, so you could look for better Wide receivers..  People think Vezina caliber goalies (and allstar caliber QB's) just grow on trees or something.  :clown:

Note: I like both of em'.. I'd be trying to move Burt or one of the other Ice dancing Euro's for better D, if it was me.
Which may end up being be the case,  They a give a weak D (both Dman and skaters), run a vide-game system that’s lead to the nickname “Odd Man Rush”, up the point of being worn down and out, only to have the fans stab him in the back while the team and system protcect the backup far more. . .

I wouldn’t blame him a bit for wanting out. 

But hey, I’d love to keep, hell play both too. But this team and city wouldn’t know what to do with out a “starter”.

Offline Mickstix

• Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday April 03, 2018, 05:33:39 PM Eastern »

Which may end up being be the case,  They a give a weak D (both Dman and skaters), run a vide-game system that’s lead to the nickname “Odd Man Rush”, up the point of being worn down and out, only to have the fans stab him in the back while the team and system protcect the backup far more. . .

I wouldn’t blame him a bit for wanting out. 

But hey, I’d love to keep, hell play both too. But this team and city wouldn’t know what to do with out a “starter”.

Yea, I can't wait for the Odd Man Rush concert coming up.. They've not set a date yet, but everyone knows they're due back in town!  :rofl: 

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday April 04, 2018, 08:24:37 AM Eastern »

Yea, I can't wait for the Odd Man Rush concert coming up.. They've not set a date yet, but everyone knows they're due back in town!  :rofl:

Thurs 4/5, The Press will be doing their pop-country version  ;D

Offline Mickstix

• Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday April 04, 2018, 09:36:25 AM Eastern »

Thurs 4/5, The Press will be doing their pop-country version  ;D

:rofl: :rofl:

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #47 on: Thursday April 05, 2018, 12:17:15 AM Eastern »
Any talk of a trade of Holtby is a waste of time. This is the Caps we are talking about. They will do what they always do, overvalue their core players and hold onto them and keep getting the same results.

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #48 on: Friday April 06, 2018, 09:25:21 AM Eastern »
Any talk of a trade of Holtby is a waste of time. This is the Caps we are talking about. They will do what they always do, overvalue their core players and hold onto them and keep getting the same results.

Doesn't make any sense to trade Holtby now, anyway.  We'd be selling low.  Of course, Holtby can regain value during the playoffs if he returns to his pre-2017 playoff form.

I suspect if Holtby comes up with a good performance tomorrow he will start the playoffs in goal.

We'll see where Pittsburg stands after tonight.  They now cannot finish lower than 4th in the Division (in which case they'd play the Caps 1st round), but if they avoid losing in regulation tonight, as I understand it they will finish runner-up in the Division no matter what Columbus and Philly do.

Though the Caps won the Division, you can basically throw a handkerchief over the top 5 teams.  Any Metro playoff series is probably a pick 'em going in.