Author Topic: GDT #77 Caps at Golden Knights @ 10pm  (Read 4510 times)

Offline richkrt99

• Oh, I'm the Hillbilly alrighty!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
Re: GDT #77 Caps at Golden Knights @ 10pm
« Reply #40 on: Thursday April 21, 2022, 10:42:55 AM Eastern »
Well...good for Ovi.  It was pretty much a one man show last night.
Sammy....this dude.  Last game he was pretty great.  Last night...um...no.  He LOOKED like he was fighting it even before he let in what I consider a softie.  And he loses his stick more than any GT I can remember ever.
I was surprised he started two in a row.....thought Lavi must have decided Sammy was it.  Now what?
I don't think either can get us a cup...not that this team is anything but a super long shot anyway.

And Jesus...Backy is S-L-O-W.  Watching him struggle to chase down a puck in OT was painful.

Caps looked good in the first, but part way through the second they looked tired and uninterested.  Vegas desperately needed the win and the Caps...meh not really.  I figured it was over then, but I forgot about the Ovi factor.  Glad to see him get the 50

Hope we can leap frog Shitssburg...just cause....well it's Shittsburgh.  That and I'd rather not face Florida to start.  Not that facing the Rangers or Carolina is going to be much better, but Florida is a stretch better I think.

Congrats Ovi.

Go Caps
FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Offline waynerivers

« Reply #41 on: Thursday April 21, 2022, 10:49:25 AM Eastern »
They got issues.. Big contractual issues..

Oshie and Backstrom should be making no more than 3 mil a year. And that's being generous for what we've seen this year. It sucks and I love those guys, but they're passengers getting paid way too much money. It's like we have 3 Ellers out there.

Mantha can be great one game and a ghost the next 3.

The goalies are wildly inconsistent. But I'd love to see a new goalie coach have an offseason with them, before throwing them in the volcano. They both get beat off bad angles just about every game.  And they're not being beat by Ovechkin's.. Every single "good" shot seems to beat them. And the dropped sticks? I rarely watch games that don't include the Caps, but they have to have a 10:1 ration of dropping their stick, compared to whoever we play? Seems shit like that could be fixed, but who knows...

Anyway, when they're -all- playing 100% they can make noise. Just gonna be hard to do that for 7 games at a time, vs top competition, imo.

Backstrom and Oshie need to go, period.  They're taking up space that could be occupied by some good young players.  There's no room for sentimentality here.  It's all about winning.  Next year, we need to see lots of McMichael, Snively, Leason, Protas, Malenstyn, etc. to see what we really have in those guys.  If Laviolette doesn't like it, he can go, too.

Offline Mickstix

• Wait, Im the Redneck? Damn right! Fish on!
  • Hockey Deity
  • Fish On!
« Reply #42 on: Thursday April 21, 2022, 11:36:58 AM Eastern »

Backstrom and Oshie need to go, period.  They're taking up space that could be occupied by some good young players.  There's no room for sentimentality here.  It's all about winning.  Next year, we need to see lots of McMichael, Snively, Leason, Protas, Malenstyn, etc. to see what we really have in those guys.  If Laviolette doesn't like it, he can go, too.

I agree. I just don't see how you move them w/o retaining a ton of contract or they get bought out? I'd love to see Nicky retire, but he's got like 28 million on the table..

Offline BlackIce

« Reply #43 on: Thursday April 21, 2022, 01:11:58 PM Eastern »
I have a question about Backstrom.  He missed several months of time with a hip injury, then didn't have  training camp when he came back.  Is it possible that with an offseason to rest AND REHAB after the first playoff round (I can't imagine them winning a round), he might come back closer to normal speed next season?  He's never been a speed burner, but if he can get back close to what he was he can still be an asset at 2C. 

I just don't know if his injury is something that can be recovered from longer-term, or if it's a Laich-type situation.

Offline waynerivers

« Reply #44 on: Thursday April 21, 2022, 02:14:54 PM Eastern »

I agree. I just don't see how you move them w/o retaining a ton of contract or they get bought out? I'd love to see Nicky retire, but he's got like 28 million on the table..

Unfortunately, they did what San Jose did which was to sink a ton of money into aging veterans,  No way Backstrom and Oshie should have been getting 8 year deals or whatever it was at their ages.  There's just too much risk of injury or that they go downhill quickly.  Backstrom, in particular, looks totally finished.  Give him a nice send off with a jersey retirement but stop wasting a roster spot on him.

Offline justwincaps

• Advanced Member
« Reply #45 on: Thursday April 21, 2022, 02:40:00 PM Eastern »
Watched that OT and saw the Backy - Eichel "race".  Heard someone describe it as "it looked like the ice was melting under Backstrom".  That was painful to watch.

Offline richkrt99

• Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #46 on: Thursday April 21, 2022, 03:35:59 PM Eastern »
C'mon fellas.  You know Backy will pick it during the playoffs (like he always does) and be like our top point getter and all this S-L-O-W talk will be forgotten

And Oshie will never have another concussion, and he will never miss a game due to injury for the rest of his contract. 

:-|
FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #47 on: Thursday April 21, 2022, 07:11:31 PM Eastern »
In OT the one thing you must have is SPEED.  Backstrom and Oshie should never see the ice, ever.  Ovie is going to play of course.  Otherwise, I'd use Kuz, Sheary, Johannson, Wilson and maybe Hathaway or Dowd if you get in a scrum.  Orlov and Jensen would see plenty of ice time instead of Carlson.  You'd think Laviolette could figure this out.

Wayne - you are absolutely right!  I would start Dowd, Kuzy and either Jensen or Orlov.  The faceoff thing is just infuriating and you 100% have to start Dowd.  Backstrom and Oshie just embarrassed themselves last night.

Offline Beaglefan2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #48 on: Thursday April 21, 2022, 07:19:21 PM Eastern »
So after this year, we have three more years of Backy at $9.2 million.  I screamed long and loud when they did that contract and it will be our worst deal ever.

Oshie also has three more years, but at $5.75 million.  If that was our only bad contract, it wouldn't be so bad.

Carlson has four more years after this at $8 million.

Ovi has four more at $9.5 million.

The 24/25 season is gonna be a disaster, but maybe that will get us the number one pick.... how old will Ovi's kid be??

Offline richkrt99

• Hockey Deity
  • Bigger than yours!
« Reply #49 on: Friday April 22, 2022, 10:03:53 AM Eastern »
So after this year, we have three more years of Backy at $9.2 million.  I screamed long and loud when they did that contract and it will be our worst deal ever.

Oshie also has three more years, but at $5.75 million.  If that was our only bad contract, it wouldn't be so bad.

Carlson has four more years after this at $8 million.

Ovi has four more at $9.5 million.

The 24/25 season is gonna be a disaster, but maybe that will get us the number one pick.... how old will Ovi's kid be??

Yeah these contracts are definitely going to hurt.  Carlson at 8 mill was too much even at his best but that contract was pre-Covid and nobody know there was going to be a cap freeze, so it's ugly, but everyone expected there to be more cap room moving forward.
Backy ...I'm just hoping that he is not yet fully rehabbed and he will actually get better.  If THIS is as good as he is ever going to be, he is going to be a liability out there.  Not that speed was really ever his game, so I'm hoping he can find ways to still be useful.  But he will never be worth 9.5m again, and I can't see him playing three more years if he is actually as bad as he looks out there right now.  You'd be better off buying him out and giving the roster spot to McMichael or Snively or anybody.  Plus McMichael needs to be playing.  Playing a washed up Backy hurts in more ways than one.
Oshie - I think we all knew at the Beginning of his deal the last few years of it would be painful, and I honestly think he could have gotten more $$ at the time of the deal.  It happens....that's why players sign long term deals - they know their value decreases as they age.

As for Ovi....his value is at a whole different level.  The Caps are committed to Ovi breaking Wayne's record, and doing it as a Capital.  And good for both the Caps and Ovi - Ovi pretty much made hockey what it is in this town.  Ovi sells tickets and brings attention to this team - no matter where he is playing.  He's good for hockey and this team so...I don't really have a problem with paying 9.5m to one of the best players in the history of the game - he is truly a once in a generation type of athlete.  Plus, he IS still performing.  50 goals and 90 points is pretty damn good.

The Caps are hamstringed by these contracts, but I think they knew it and just decided to keep the band together and sell tickets.  Despite what everyone says publicly, I think they all know there very little hope of actual playoff success with this team over the next 5 seasons.

Problem is, you are wasting the best years of guys like Wilson, Mantha & Kuzy, plus some good development and playing years for a number of younger guys whose roster spots are taken by the overpaid Geritol group.  BTW - Wilson and Mantha are both UFA's end of 2023-24  Season.  Ouch.

Most of the "core" of this team is set for next year, but there are 5 UFA's at the end of the season:
Mojo, Larsson:  both these guys are basically budget players - not sure we see either back next year unless they are willing to play for peanuts
Shultz, Kempny, Irwin....Shulz has been better than I actually thought he would over his term, but do you want him back for 4m?  Kempny...I think is done, Irwin....meh  they might sign him for another 750k just as a fill in.
Also - both GT need contracts (or walking papers).  NO idea what we are going to do for GT next year.

I think this team has but one goal over the next three years...

FFS - HIT HIM!!!
SHOOT - THE - PUCK