Author Topic: Question for DC  (Read 5159 times)

Maacoshark

Question for DC
« on: Wednesday December 13, 2017, 09:51:28 PM Eastern »
  I have a hockey related question for DC. Actually I'd like the opinion of everyone here. The question is about the Dallas Stars and I ask DC because Im sure he said he goes to some Dallas games. My question is, what is your opinion on their goaltending situation?  From what I have seen the team seems unhappy with Lehtonen. First they bring in Niemi to replace him and he failed miserably. Now they bring in Bishop. Right now I think Lehtonen is outplaying Bishop. Lehtonen just beat 2 decent teams in the Rangers and Islanders. It us my opinion that the Stars woes are more on the defence then goaltending. I think Dallas made a mistake bringing in Bishop. I've never been sold on him. He is big but kind of clumsy for a goaltender. What do you think?

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
Re: Question for DC
« Reply #1 on: Thursday December 14, 2017, 09:02:17 AM Eastern »
Thanks, indeed The Stars goalie has been a point of contention during the Benn era (at least).  However this season is a different from the previous ones.

One thing to note is their Dcorps is outstanding, if it was the year 2020.  Other than Hammiius, they are young with limited NHL experience.  After you add in Klimberg who’s primarily an offensive Dman . . .

The other thing, which also comes into play is the transition to Hitchcock’s system.  It has only been 30-something games in the transition from their old firehouse style to Hitchcock’s heavier game.  So despite being in the playoffision hunt, they have yet to prefect it.

Both of these result in The Stars goalies susceptible to facing a lot of shots that goalies on other teams necessarily wouldn’t , and ultimately needing to do more than most other goalies of playoff level teams.  That being said, I give both of them a bit of a mulligan

Individually, as we’ve both seen them for years, they are both Jekyll and Hyde goalies.  Some games either can be with  the best in the world, other games they couldn’t stop a shot aimed at their chest.   While this can be said for any goalie, it’s highly prevalent in both of them. 

So while they are both quality NHL goalies, given the team situation and their tendencies, expecting either of them to be successful as “the number one goalie”, is very risky.

This year, they maybe best going the two headed monster/hot hand/best matchup route,  like several teams with two starter quality goalies have done.

That being said, Bishop is a near ideal fit for Hitchcock’s system and the teams direction, but even more  the teams system, direction, and huge Dcorps is likely ideal for Bishop.   I’m pretty sure Nills plan is to have Bishop as the starter next year and going forward. . .

Great question though, I’ll reach out to my friends in Dallas later today and get his POV.  He sits 3 rows behind the Stars goalie, so he’ll have some unique insight.  (I’ll respond tonight after he’s gone through a half a bottle of Rye for some additional thoughts. . . as this sites uncensored I can share them here. . . :D )
« Last Edit: Thursday December 14, 2017, 02:37:13 PM Eastern by DC_1908 »

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #2 on: Friday December 15, 2017, 07:24:20 AM Eastern »
My Dallas contact said Bishop. 

Jiri has more than likely pisses off the majority of the fans there

Maacoshark

« Reply #3 on: Friday December 15, 2017, 04:17:53 PM Eastern »
  I find it odd that Lehtonen will be starting his 3rd straight game tonight. Bishop will start tomorrow against Philly. I like Lehtonen. I hope he continues to get his share of playing time. BTW Lehtonen just earned his 300th career win the other day.

Offline DC_1908

• Chairman of the Boards
  • Global Moderator
  • Hockey Deity
« Reply #4 on: Friday December 15, 2017, 05:56:23 PM Eastern »
  I find it odd that Lehtonen will be starting his 3rd straight game tonight. Bishop will start tomorrow against Philly. I like Lehtonen. I hope he continues to get his share of playing time. BTW Lehtonen just earned his 300th career win the other day.
Absolutely!  He’s hot, so keep him in!  Here and now, that’s what’s best for The Stars.

One of the main issues the fans have with Lehtonen is hes let them down at critical points in the past, so there is a good deal of animosity there.

The situation they are in is polarizing.  On one hand, you can always have an upper tier goalie available

Offline ArJunaZ

• ♂ ☺n Probation!
  • Administrator
  • Hockey Deity
  • What's Ghey Pride?
« Reply #5 on: Saturday December 16, 2017, 09:58:25 AM Eastern »
Posted by ArJuna (had to restore the board back to 7pm last evening and this post got deleted in the process.

From Maacoshark
 Dec 15, 2017 at 07:01:05 PM »

I agree that Lehtonen is streaky but so is the team defense in front of him. I remember sitting at a pub with a friend and we were watching TSN. They were showing the top 100 plays if the year in the NHL. Lehtonen must have involved in a dozen of those plays. Either he was making a ridiculous save or he was getting scored against a some crazy passing play. I really felt sorry for the guy.

Maaco, if you would repost this under your user I will delete this one..
Be careful what you ask for America; you just might get it.